• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

codhand

"I saw many of the exact same documents months ago, after requesting them from a Bain Capital investor."

He's mad he didn't get the hits, he's gotta market himself better.

I agree as you accrue ridiculous amounts of wealth it's hard not to have these contradictions, but I also think it's good for people to see what these 'job creators' are actually doing with their money.

Meteorologist: 'I Don't See Any Way That Tampa Will Be Missed At This Point'...

I wouldn't say I'd be missing it Bob.
images

Gawker isn't ever going to get anything important.

This is that stupid sarah palin emails and fox mole all over again. They are a gossip site.
They're in the business of brett favre's penis not important political leaks

So can we expect any hilarity from Cult of Paul members during the RNC convention? I've kept hear rumblings of some "All the Delegates" strategy, but considering I'd have to look at Ron Paul websites...I've taken a pass on finding out.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
So can we expect any hilarity from Cult of Paul members during the RNC convention? I've kept hear rumblings of some "All the Delegates" strategy, but considering I'd have to look at Ron Paul websites...I've taken a pass on finding out.

The hurricane or whatever it is is all part of the plan involving the government weather control project at HAARP. Who knows what could happen!

The whole Isaac thing is probably the most interesting thing about the RNC. The Tampa mayor said he'd shut down the convention if Tampa is in enough trouble. Most models have it hugging right along the coast of the Gulf of Mexico and swing by in very close proximity to Tampa. Of course, it could go further east and hit it dead on or swing a bit west and only lightly impact the city. Tampa is not a city that is very well prepared for hurricane weather unfortunately so I hope not much happens.

However, the image of Mitt Romney accepting the GOP nomination as a torrential downpour and howling winds scream outdoors is somewhat fitting.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
CHEEZMO™;41332792 said:
The hurricane or whatever it is is all part of the plan involving the government weather control project at HAARP. Who knows what could happen!

Jeff Masters @ WeatherUndergroud said:
The Republican National Convention begins on Monday in Tampa, Florida. The latest 11 am EDT wind probability forecast from NHC gives Tampa a 15% chance of receiving tropical storm-force winds and a 1% chance of receiving hurricane-force winds on Monday. The latest model tracks for Isaac suggests that the trough of low pressure pulling the storm to the north will not be strong enough to give Isaac a northeastward component of motion when it crosses Tampa's latitude. Thus, Isaac will have difficulty making a direct hit on Tampa without passing over a considerable amount of land first, making a multi-billion dollar hurricane disaster in Tampa very unlikely. I put the odds of a mass evacuation occurring during the convention at 1%; a limited evacuation of people in the Tampa Bay area living in mobile homes in low-lying areas is probably about 5 - 10 % likely. I have detailed information on Tampa's storm surge vulnerability in a post from last week.
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2199

Loudninja

Ohh he got her!

Akin Camp To Claire McCaskill: Why Don’t You Drop Out?
“The fact that Claire McCaskill is only polling at 48 percent after 72 hours of constant negative attacks on Todd Akin shows just how weak she is,” Perry Akin, the congressman’s campaign manager and son, said in a statement Thursday. “If she can’t break 50 percent after a week like this, Democrats should ask Claire to step down. Todd is in this race to win; we will close this gap and win in November with the support of the grassroots in Missouri and across America.”
http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/08/todd-akin-claire-mccaskill-drop-out.php?ref=fpa

markatisu

Oh wow, delusional does not even begin to describe the Akin camps response

What kind of defense is "if you are only beating us by a bit after we fucked up then get out" lol

Gruco

Banned
What are the practical implications of Isaac and the RNC? If it shuts down, would they logistically be able to reschedule? Some kind of trimmed down version? Could they theoretically move it past the DNC?

What are the practical implications of Isaac and the RNC? If it shuts down, would they logistically be able to reschedule? Some kind of trimmed down version? Could they theoretically move it past the DNC?

The DNC starts on Sept 6th, so there would be time for the RNC to move it without moving past the DNC.

Interestingly the DNC starts a day before we get new jobs numbers. If we get another six figure report it'll be icing on quite a cake (Akin, Medicare, etc). But a middling or bad report could dampen the event.

CHEEZMO™;41332792 said:
esChu.jpg

Seriously though is there anything remotely organized brewing or just the usual Ron Paul is victim crybaby crap...and somehow he wins then.

Dick Morris said:
The point is, you have to play the media coverage to get your message out. The Akin story is a perfect example of that. I think that story is a big plus for Romney right now. Because the story is not that some kooky Republican Congressman running for the Senate said something stupid, it is that the responsible leaders of the Republican party; Romney, McConnell, Ryan, and all of them, are piling on Akin to resign and he won’t. That really sends a message to pro-choice women that they don’t need to be afraid of Romney. That they don’t need to vote for Obama because of that. And I think Romney is spinning this beautifully, and it is de-fanging the fear motivation in getting Democrats out to vote, particularly Democrat women, out to vote for Obama.
But the real question is, is Louisiana still a tossup state?

Wilsongt

Romney wants to keep Mormon tithing private

Mitt Romney says one reason he doesn't want to release additional tax returns is because he doesn't want the public to know how much he and his wife Ann have contributed to the Mormon Church.

Per the Salt Lake Tribune's Thomas Burr, Romney tells Parade magazine in an interview set to be published Sunday that he doesn't want to disclose his charitable donations.

"Our church doesn't publish how much people have given," Romney tells Parade. "This is done entirely privately. One of the downsides of releasing one's financial information is that this is now all public, but we had never intended our contributions to be known. It's a very personal thing between ourselves and our commitment to our God and to our church."

But Romney has disclosed at least some of his charitable giving. His 2010 tax returns released in January revealed he and his wife had given $3 million to charity that year—including half to the Mormon Church.

While he has yet to disclose his full 2011 tax returns, a summary released through his campaign revealed he gave $4 million to charity last year, including $2.6 million to the Mormon church. A charitable foundation run by Ann Romney gave another $4.8 million to the church.

As Burr notes, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints encourages its members to tithe at least 10 percent of their annual income.

So, doing simple math, $2.6mil/ 0.1 = $26 million in 2011. About right, right?

Scumbag.

FyreWulff

It's definitely part of it.

He's either

a) wanting downplay his connections to the Mormon church, considering how much money he gets, he'd be funding a LOT of their stuff

or

b) he's actually been hiding money from the church and under-tithing. Which will piss. them. off.

Guevara

He's either

a) wanting downplay his connections to the Mormon church, considering how much money he gets, he'd be funding a LOT of their stuff

or

b) he's actually been hiding money from the church and under-tithing. Which will piss. them. off.

Wow that's a really interesting point and would explain why Huntsman Sr., and to a lesser extent Reid, appear not to respect him.

Wilsongt

He's either

or

I think they just "encourage" up to 10%. It's not a restrict requirement, right?

The DNC starts on Sept 6th, so there would be time for the RNC to move it without moving past the DNC.

Interestingly the DNC starts a day before we get new jobs numbers. If we get another six figure report it'll be icing on quite a cake (Akin, Medicare, etc). But a middling or bad report could dampen the event.
If it's 150,000 or so like last month, it definitely reinforces a winning narrative for Obama.

Republicans are only winning if they're talking about the economy, but they're talking about abortion and Medicare.

I wonder how much we would be talking about Mormonism if the Democrat was the Mormon in the race.
No, but it did occur with Kennedy being a Catholic in 1960, but one can argue it would have been the same if it was Mormon too.

Not too much recent things to go on, We know no one was discussing Lieberman's Judaism in 00, granted someone would have to be suicidal to think that would be a good idea.

If it's 150,000 or so like last month, it definitely reinforces a winning narrative for Obama.

Republicans are only winning if they're talking about the economy, but they're talking about abortion and Medicare.

It's unlikely UE will move though, which will hurt. Still, another 120-150k will be welcome and could increase in coming months due to the holiday season/hiring

HylianTom

Banned
Not sure if y'all have seen..

From CBS/Quinnipiac/NYT:

OHIO
Obama - 50
Romney - 44

FLORIDA
Obama - 49
Romney - 46

WISCONSIN
Obama - 49
Romney - 47

Gonna be a lot of angry, possibly violent reactions in November if these numbers hold..

And McCaskill is now up in Missouri, 48-38, accoring to Ras. Imagine if this whole Akin incident costs the GOP the Senate.

eznark

Banned
Not sure if y'all have seen..

From CBS/Quinnipiac/NYT:

OHIO
Obama - 50
Romney - 44

FLORIDA
Obama - 49
Romney - 46

WISCONSIN
Obama - 49
Romney - 47

Gonna be a lot of angry, possibly violent reactions in November if these numbers hold..

There will be way, way, way more angry and violent reactions if Romney wins Wisconsin if recent history is any indication.

ToxicAdam

I think they just "encourage" up to 10%. It's not a restrict requirement, right?

It's preached from the pulpit. So, I would think it's pretty important.

http://lds.about.com/od/basicsgospelprinciples/a/law_of_tithing.html

Appears it's an old tradition mentioned a few times in the Old Testament. If you were to create a new phoney religion, probably one aspect you would want to accentuate.

Tithing is a subjective thing. What one person views as 'income' can vary wildly among person to person.

codhand

The point is, you have to play the media coverage to get your message out. The Akin story is a perfect example of that. I think that story is a big plus for Romney right now. Because the story is not that some kooky Republican Congressman running for the Senate said something stupid, it is that the responsible leaders of the Republican party; Romney, McConnell, Ryan, and all of them, are piling on Akin to resign and he won’t. That really sends a message to pro-choice women that they don’t need to be afraid of Romney. That they don’t need to vote for Obama because of that. And I think Romney is spinning this beautifully, and it is de-fanging the fear motivation in getting Democrats out to vote, particularly Democrat women, out to vote for Obama.

"Obama leads Romney by a whopping 10 points among female voters, a key demographic that tends to turn out reliably on Election Day.

Moreover, on the question of which candidate is better dealing with issues of concern to women, only 24% of voters surveyed chose Romney, compared to 52% who chose Obama."

http://www.businessinsider.com/romney-obama-women-poll-2012-8#ixzz24OuP4J5C
Dick Morris did not get the memo.

Imagine if this whole Akin incident costs the GOP the Senate.
I think it'll be part of the top five reasons in the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom