• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGondo

Banned
That's all you need to say. The government's job isn't to "make money." That's called a tax. Unless your coworker thinks the government should just be a taxing machine until it removes all currency from the economy, then ... well, either way, your coworker appears to be an idiot. Not an idiot for being ignorant, but an idiot for opening his/her mouth and proving it.
Damn, son. EV with the uncut shit.

(I realize this guy is misguided, but he's a nice person who seems intelligent enough at work--a little reasoned discussion can't hurt. However, I don't harbor any illusions of changing his mind.)

Rasmussen agrees with my worldview so now I find him credible.
Yup. It's the only poll to even suggest Akin is in trouble and naturally GAF decides its trustworthy now. Ras always finds establishment narratives to be true. If this was a five poInt lead perhaps I'd buy it. Ten is bullshit, especially in that state

I hope it stays that way. Wisconsin flipping would be very anxiety-provoking. I would like to think that the bloom will come off Ryan's rose sooner or later in most places, but he could hang on in Wisconsin.

It probably will sink again, but I don't think WI flipping would be any kind of national bellwether, regardless. Would just mean Ryan brought significant home-state advantage. Of course it would be better for it not to flip at all.

Something like PA flipping would likely indicate it was dragging a bunch of other battleground states along with it.

Yup. It's the only poll to even suggest Akin is in trouble and naturally GAF decides its trustworthy now. Ras always finds establishment narratives to be true. If this was a five poInt lead perhaps I'd buy it. Ten is bullshit, especially in that state

Whoyatalkingto.gif

gcubed

its the only poll taken after rape-gate

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Are you serious? So back-testing magic. SMH.

Wait so that supposedly super-accurate election model was just created this year? So basically that thing can't be trusted at all, if you already know the results then the test is already biased. OK, so we can go back to ignoring that crazy election model.

pigeon

Banned
It probably will sink again, but I don't think WI flipping would be any kind of national bellwether, regardless. Would just mean Ryan brought significant home-state advantage. Of course it would be better for it not to flip at all.

Something like PA flipping would likely indicate it was dragging a bunch of other battleground states along with it.

It's not that I think it would be a bellwether so much as that it changes Romney's EC math from "basically impossible" to "very hard indeed." Nate's ten-point correction in his election forecast is making me a little bit nervous this week.

eznark

Banned
Are you serious? So back-testing magic. SMH.

Wait so that supposedly super-accurate election model was just created this year? So basically that thing can't be trusted at all, if you already know the results then the test is already biased. OK, so we can go back to ignoring that crazy election model.

Guys, they are using past data to build a forecasting model. This is the first test of said model.

What good would a model using no data points be??

The public/private debate is a core issue, though. One of his reasons for being against Obamacare is that "everything the government gets involved in gets dragged down/held back/mismanaged by the government."

This is such an unfortunate meme that the right has solidified in many. There are certainly issues that can make government projects less efficient at times such as the fact that if you go over-budget you don't go bankrupt and lose your equity/job. But it is not like working for the government suddenly makes people retarded. Those government workers landed a 1 ton rover on Mars . . . could you do that? The mail is delivered very reliably and efficiently every day. The US military is not a clown brigade.

So when people bring up that meme, I just often say "Why do you hate our military? Why are you calling them incompetent?"

Gawker file dump on Bain's offshore machinations.
Nothing good will come of this... even if nothing explosive lies within.

Did someone leak this or is this public information? Also is it anything specific to Romney or just Bain?

I just don't understand why someone would leak to gakwer.

The public/private debate is a core issue, though. One of his reasons for being against Obamacare is that "everything the government gets involved in gets dragged down/held back/mismanaged by the government."

The big problem I have is when conservatives act like private corporations have their interests at heart any more than a democratically-elected government.

This is the same problem I had with my Grandmother. They're convinced the government does nothing good.

So when people bring up that meme, I just often say "Why do you hate our military? Why are you calling them incompetent?"
The problem with this is the military and fire department, etc. to them are the "exception," they succeed despite them being part of the government.

Guys, they are using past data to build a forecasting model. This is the first test of said model.

What good would a model using no data points be??

I understand that. But why release ludicrous results with the caveat, "Oh, our model has done extraordinarily well in previous election cycles!"?

eznark

Banned
I understand that. But why release ludicrous results with the caveat, "Oh, our model has done extraordinarily well in previous election cycles!"?

http://www.colorado.edu/news/releas...nts-romney-win-university-colorado-study-says

I guess you haven't actually read the press release?

He isn't overly congratulatory at all. Just says they've built a model that has correctly predicted 8 outcomes. Considering it's a 50/50 chance, I'm not terrible impressed but hey, it's right until it isn't.

Diablos

WI better not flip, yo. Hoping that the bounce is temporary since Ryan probably got some people's attention but it will be short-lived. Fingers crossed.

codhand

Geez Obama better dial-back his weather machine or his plan may backfire.
rYcy1.png

LJO5W.png

and yeah this Gawker link is kind of awesome, regardless of how they obtained it.

Gawker file dump on Bain's offshore machinations.
Nothing good will come of this... even if nothing explosive lies within.
Holy shit...

With an economy that is still highly dependent on fiscal support, the outcome of the midterm elections could lead to gridlock that would have major ramifications for the economy. An expiration of stimulus would be a significant fiscal drag.

From a letter to investors. Romney had invested 1 to 5 million in that fund. LOL.

http://gawker.com/5936878

This is such an unfortunate meme that the right has solidified in many. There are certainly issues that can make government projects less efficient at times such as the fact that if you go over-budget you don't go bankrupt and lose your equity/job. But it is not like working for the government suddenly makes people retarded. Those government workers landed a 1 ton rover on Mars . . . could you do that? The mail is delivered very reliably and efficiently every day. The US military is not a clown brigade.

A lot of the people I have this discussion with just say "Well then why is the postal service bankrupt?" and then refuse to listen when I tell them about prefunding pensions.

Oh and "Well what about the DMV? HM? HM?"

RDreamer

Do I think what is lasting? I was laughing at how terrible that was considering Ryan on the ticket and Thompson destroying Baldwin.

Are you attacking me to cover up your poor math skills? Because I already used that technique on gcubed this week.

Ryan on the ticket actually seems like it will hurt and keep hurting. Even though he's a Wisconsin politician, and that should help, it seems like his big thing, medicare, isn't a winning issue in Wisconsin. If you look at the Marquette poll Wisconsinites reject his voucher idea, but also think that there needs to be changes in Medicare to keep it going. That is literally opposite of what Paul Ryan and now Romney are running on, since they're running on voucherizing and not "cutting" what Obama did. Basically Obama's solution is the one that Wisconsin as a whole seems to want.

http://www.colorado.edu/news/releas...nts-romney-win-university-colorado-study-says

I guess you haven't actually read the press release?

He isn't overly congratulatory at all. Just says they've built a model that has correctly predicted 8 outcomes. Considering it's a 50/50 chance, I'm not terrible impressed but hey, it's right until it isn't.

“Based on our forecasting model, it becomes clear that the president is in electoral trouble,” said Bickers, also director of the CU in DC Internship Program.

daedalius

A lot of the people I have this discussion with just say "Well then why is the postal service bankrupt?" and then refuse to listen when I tell them about prefunding pensions.

Oh and "Well what about the DMV? HM? HM?"

Tell them the government has put rovers on Mars.

If that doesn't work, well, they're hopeless.

And...

Romney invested in something that wanted a democratic win. How does this hurt him?

It implies that he supports/would have supported/will support further stimulus (whether through Congress or the Fed) -- against his party's principles -- because of his own personal financial involvement in investments that would be negatively affected otherwise.

It implies that he supports/would have supported/will support further stimulus (whether through Congress or the Fed) -- against his party's principles -- because of his own personal financial involvement in investments that would be negatively affected otherwise.

How in the world would it support that? He invested in a fund that thought that. I just don't get the connection back to Romney? Does everything I have stock in reflect my beliefs on what should happen?

It doesn't. It's just funny. Sheesh.
But its petty and does nothing to further the argument he's out of touch. Focus on the complexity and tax avoidance not the fact that they said nice things about Obama's policies. I get the humor but its not "holy shit" worthy. Ironic maybe.

Now that you say it that way, I can't believe someone who could stand to profit immensely from putting into place certain policies, is possibly going to be president. Though I'm assuming this is the case with senators too, this is the presidency. Damn.

eznark

Banned
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/167202505.html

Craig Gilbert breaks down recent polls in Wisconsin post-Ryan. Pretty good read, doesn't say a whole lot but I like that he goes in depth on the numbers.

“Based on our forecasting model, it becomes clear that the president is in electoral trouble,” said Bickers, also director of the CU in DC Internship Program.

That is a 100% true statement. Unless the guy is just lying and their forecasting model doesn't actual show Romney winning? What's the problem?

codhand

And...

Romney invested in something that wanted a democratic win. How does this hurt him?

Romney's financial position on the stimulus: With an economy that is still highly dependent on fiscal support, the outcome of the midterm elections could lead to gridlock that would have major ramifications for the economy. An expiration of stimulus would be a significant fiscal drag.

Romney's campaign position on the stimulus: "The largest one-time careless expenditure of government money in American history." "That stimulus didn't work. That stimulus didn't put more private-sector people to work."

How do more dissonances in his cognizance not hurt him?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
He hedged against the republicans taking the house. So what? He would have been an idiot not to. Non-story

I think there is this fixation with a smoking gun. You don't need a smoking gun to show his policy positions are awful.

Craig Gilbert breaks down recent polls in Wisconsin post-Ryan. Pretty good read, doesn't say a whole lot but I like that he goes in depth on the numbers.

That is a 100% true statement. Unless the guy is just lying and their forecasting model doesn't actual show Romney winning? What's the problem?

Obama is going to need to work harder in Wisconsin for sure but I'd hesitate to really say he's in trouble. If the numbers trend more to the republicans after the conventions he needs to start worrying.

Now he just needs to keep an eye out for it.

As Franklin notes, Wisconsin’s history for Republicans in presidential contests has been “like Lucy pulling the football away” from Charlie Brown: “It looks close but Democrats win every time.”

Romney's financial position on the stimulus: With an economy that is still highly dependent on fiscal support, the outcome of the midterm elections could lead to gridlock that would have major ramifications for the economy. An expiration of stimulus would be a significant fiscal drag.

Romney's campaign position on the stimulus: "The largest one-time careless expenditure of government money in American history." "That stimulus didn't work. That stimulus didn't put more private-sector people to work."

How do more dissonances in his cognizance not hurt him?

Your first position isn't his, its a fund he invested in. In another fund with his money they critize Obama. Also when did he put money in that fund? If he put it in 2007 does their changing view in 2010 matter and reflect Romney?

XenodudeX

The problem is it isn't a true statement. When I look at the map, I don't see a president who is in electoral trouble. The map doesn't reflect that right now.

eznark

Banned
So you're saying the guy is lying and according to his forecasting model Obama isn't actually in trouble? Why would he do that and how could you possibly know??

y

I think there is this fixation with a smoking gun. You don't need a smoking gun to show his policy positions are awful.

You're doing poligaf wrong

How in the world would it support that? He invested in a fund that thought that. I just don't get the connection back to Romney? Does everything I have stock in reflect my beliefs on what should happen?

You're a small time investor with a couple thousand dollars here and there with virtually no control or say in the outcome of your investment other than taking the money out or putting more in.

When you invest millions of dollars into a fund and can, through external powers, affect the performance of that fund, it matters a lot.

codhand

Your first position isn't his, its a fund he invested in.

I agree, not to split hairs but I did say his financial position.

Examples are good:
I'm running as an anti-tobacco lobby candidate who has a rather large investment in Altria. Does that investment help or hurt my credibility on the issue that happens to be fundamental to my platform?

eznark

Banned
I'm not saying he's lying. I'm saying he's wrong.

I guess you're misreading what he is saying? I'm not sure what you're talking about. The professor is saying that according to his model Obama is in trouble. How could you possibly know that he is incorrectly reading his own model?

For what you are arguing the correct constrution would be: "Our model clearly suggests that there is electoral trouble for the President." That sentence has a completely different meaning than, saying "the President clearly has electoral trouble."

It would be the same as saying, "Based on my stock price model, Apple will clearly plummet to a price of $3.00 a share."

pigeon

Banned

I dunno about 100% true. "It becomes clear" is a pretty dramatic framing from a model that's yet to have an accurate prediction. Basically, I agree that every model has to start somewhere -- though I question the use of 1980 as a cutoff point for their fitting, among other things -- but if this model has no predictions yet then I feel like it's not really much of a news story.

eznark

Banned
I dunno about 100% true. "It becomes clear" is a pretty dramatic framing from a model that's yet to have an accurate prediction. Basically, I agree that every model has to start somewhere -- though I question the use of 1980 as a cutoff point for their fitting, among other things -- but if this model has no predictions yet then I feel like it's not really much of a news story.

I agree with that 100%.

The guy is predicating his "the president is in trouble" statement on the results of his supposedly predictive model. Unless you are saying he is reading the model wrong or lying about its results, that's a true statement.

You're a small time investor with a couple thousand dollars here and there with virtually no control or say in the outcome of your investment other than taking the money out or putting more in.

When you invest millions of dollars into a fund and can, through external powers, affect the performance of that fund, it matters a lot.

Taking the max they say he has in that fund, 5 million, thats only 1/240 of the fund (1.2 billion). I don't think thats much influence. And what about his other funds that like the republican positions?

This just screams gotcha and not one that matters.

I agree, not to split hairs but I did say his financial position.

Examples are good:
I'm running as an anti-tobacco lobby candidate who has a rather large investment in Altria. Does that invesmtent help or hurt my credibility on the issue that happens to be fundamental to my platform?
And how does this fit with his investments in anti-obama funds? He's hedged in everything. He can't lose. If your gonna take that and spin it into an argument about how the game is rigged for them I can understand. But your seeming trying to tie him to supporting obama's policies because he has money which might benefit.

codhand

Taking the max they say he has in that fund, 5 million, thats only 1/240 of the fund (1.2 billion). I don't think thats much influence. And what about his other funds that like the republican positions?

This just screams gotcha and not one that matters.

If we saw those tax returns I'm sure we'd only find more and more contradictions, at what point would they matter? Again this is especially true for Romney because his whole platform is based around improving the economy. Would he improve it Goldman Sachs style? IE "Market-making" for the American people, and then having a counter position for his own portfolio? I'm sure his fetus disposal factory was only a 240th too. What isn't a 240th when you're a billionaire?

He's hedged in everything.
Exactly, Mitt looks out for Mitt. There's a reason he won't share his tax returns and it's not because "they will only want moar". Also, what are the anti-obama fund's ticker symbols, I wanna invest :p

LosDaddie

Banned
They aren't predictions. This model was made this year. They're postdictions -- which are significantly easier to make.

Makes sense. Thanks. :)

Mainly for fun. I realize that he's probably hopelessly biased and skewed, but he's nice enough and tried to engage me in a diplomatic way.

I care too damn much about politics, though. It's unhealthy, especially in a state as red as Oklahoma. :(

I might engage is some political discourse with a co-worker, if they weren't walking, talking contradictions. I have an older female co-worker who constantly complains about having no health insurance, yet she almost had a mental breakdown when Obamacare was upheld. The rest of my co-workers at my new office are cool, though. They don't bring up politics whenever possible, like the ones at my old company did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom