• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

"I don’t think the common person is getting it,” she said from the passenger seat of a Range Rover stamped with East Hampton beach permits. “Nobody understands why Obama is hurting them.

“We’ve got the message,” she added. “But my college kid, the baby sitters, the nails ladies — everybody who’s got the right to vote — they don’t understand what’s going on. I just think if you’re lower income — one, you’re not as educated, two, they don’t understand how it works, they don’t understand how the systems work, they don’t understand the impact.” - Anonymous donor at a Romney fundraiser in the Hamptons

Ann Romney confirmed?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Ann Romney said:
She stressed her immigrant roots, mentioning her grandfather who was a Welsh coalminer, aiming to connect with the Latino audience.
"I know what it's like to be the daughter of immigrants," she said.

Maybe Mormon grandparents are also regular parents. And comparing her upbringing with a Latino immigrant is absolutely insulting and retarded and will only fly with the base. Literally any hispanic first or second generation immigrant is going to scoff at the comparison.

I am a straight off the boat immigrant and because I am white and educated I suffered nothing beyond endless paperwork - no fear, no bias, no racism, no artificial economic disparity, nothing.

Chichikov

"I know what it's like to be the daughter of immigrants".

Yeah, no.
At least not in relation to anything the Hispanic community experience.

I'm a white immigrant to US (and one that didn't speak English as a native tongue like her parents) and I would never dream of claiming that my experience has any bearing whatsoever on the issues Hispanics are facing.

I find that shit to be more offensive than her unfortunate use of 'bias'.

p.s.
I know she probably means well, but damn, it's once again show how out of touch she is.

Edit: wow, beaten, on that.
Nice.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Yeah, no.

I'm a white immigrant to US (and one that didn't speak English as a native tongue like her parents) and I would never dream of claiming that my experience has any bearing whatsoever on the issues Hispanics are facing.

p.s.
I know she probably means well, but damn, it's once again show how out of touch she is.
She might have a point if this was like a hundred and fifty years ago...and her parents were Irish

Yeah, no.

p.s.

Edit: wow, beaten, on that.
Nice.

O_____O I think my mind has been blown.

The most telling part of the Ann Romney quote:

Romney said her "importance in speaking out is making sure that those coalitions," referring to women and Hispanic voters, "that would naturally be voting for another party wake up and say, You'd better really look at the issues this time."

Not even Ann would expect women or Hispanics to vote Republican under normal circumstances. She is pitching Mitt as an exception to the reasonable rule that women and Hispanics ought not vote Republican. Because, well, I guess it really is that obvious that the Republican party is hostile to women and minorities.

Not even Ann would expect women or Hispanics to vote Republican under normal circumstances. She is pitching Mitt as an exception to the reasonable rule that women and Hispanics ought not vote Republican. Because, well, I guess it really is that obvious that the Republican party is hostile to women and minorities.

That or she's suggesting that they typically don't really look at the issues when they vote.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

She accused them of having biases based on "lies" perpetrated by the DNC machine. She basically called them stupid and uninformed.

She accused them of having biases based on "lies" perpetrated by the DNC machine. She basically called them stupid and uninformed.

I guess Ann Romney missed the primaries where every Republican candidate for president did their best to alienate every possible Hispanic vote in this country. Self-deportation anyone?

reilo

I guess Ann Romney missed the primaries where every Republican candidate for president did their best to alienate every possible Hispanic vote in this country. Self-deportation anyone?

You can't spell liberal without l-i-e.

"It really is a message that would resonate well if they could just get past some of their biases that have been there from the Democratic machines that have made us look like we don't care about this community," Romney said. "And that is not true. We very much care about you and your families and the opportunities that are there for you and your families."

"We care, we're just not going to help you because that would be a terribly minor inconvenience to our finances. But we certainly don't want you to die or something", Mrs. Romney went on to say.

Jackpot

Banned
Chris Christie is a fuck-nut for cancelling the ARC tunnel project which was shovel-ready, would have brought a lot of jobs to the region, and also improved the transportation options into and out of NYC for decades and would have paid for itself over time.

He is also an ass-hat for giving out a huge tax credit for the Xanadu project (yeah, just what New Jersey needs -- another fucking mall. Oh, and it looks like a giant stack of shipping containers...) while cutting state funding for education and property tax relief for seniors (we have insane property tax rates here) while refusing to raise taxes on the wealthiest earners in the state....

Fuck Christie.

Edit: this abomination:

XANADU-articleLarge.jpg

haha. As I was reading your post I thought the picture showed a rundown shipping area that was going to be the site of that tunnel you were talking about, then I got to the second paragraph.

Allard

I actually feel somewhat sorry for Ann, its pretty obvious she wants to defend her husband and the campaign but is not used to being an advocate for him on the public stage other then simply as a wife. Meanwhile on the reverse side we have Michelle Obama who has had lots of history working with the public and the education she went through really helped her with public speaking preparation so she knows what can help and hurt you in conveying a message to the public. Back in 2008 during the Democratic primaries I actually got to listen to her speak and she might just be as good an advocate for the president as the president is himself, very well spoken and articulate and shows a sense of confidence in everything she wants to say. In some way its almost unfair for Obama to have Michelle as a wife just for that reason on the political stage heh.

My family actually knows someone that knows Ann through Tressage and says she is a really kind and impressionable person when you talk with her face to face, public speaking and helping run a political campaign just isn't something she is good at because she doesn't realize 'some' of her opinions don't work very well on the national stage and you need to be very careful how you phrase something if you want to reach out to new voters.

I think her speech was great but overall this Ann Romney focus is the continuation of the GOP's warped take on demographic politics. Cart out a black, brown, or female because that's clearly the best way to appeal to those people. The message doesn't matter because they don't vote based on messages

It's a pathetic strategy that almost never works. It won't work for Romney either. If he closes the gender gap it'll be due to an economic crash. Most women can tell who is on their side and who isn't

reilo

I think her speech was great but overall this Ann Romney focus is the continuation of the GOP's warped take on demographic politics. Cart out a black, brown, or female because that's clearly the best way to appeal to those people. The message doesn't matter because they don't vote based on messages

It's a pathetic strategy that almost never works. It won't work for Romney either. If he closes the gender gap it'll be due to an economic crash. Most women can tell who is on their side and who isn't

How many minority and women speakers are scheduled for Thursday?

Clevinger

I actually feel somewhat sorry for Ann, its pretty obvious she wants to defend her husband and the campaign but is not used to being an advocate for him on the public stage other then simply as a wife.

My family actually knows someone that knows Ann through Tressage and says she is a really kind and impressionable person when you talk with her face to face, public speaking and helping run a political campaign just isn't something she is good at because she doesn't realize 'some' of her opinions don't work very well on the national stage and you need to be very careful how you phrase something if you want to reach out to new voters.

Yeah, me too. I think she's well meaning, and thinks her husband actually would help these people/do all the great things he says he will.

Jackpot

Banned
Funny you should laugh:

From 2000 to 2005, the largest net outflow of New Jersey taxpayers was to Florida (124,584 people), Pennsylvania (42,459 people) and North Carolina (29,803 people), their report found.

It found the state had a positive net inflow of taxpayers from New York (148,538 people).

*followed by CharlieDigital's bodyslam post*

man, don't you ever get tired of being wrong? So many threads where people have to talk you through what the sources you quote actually mean. At what point do you think that maybe there's something wrong with the way you assess facts, and by extension the views you form from them? 10th time you're wrong? 15th time?

Patton Oswalt claiming on Twitter to know who the Mystery Speaker is tonight and is "kinda bummed" about it. Big defector? Celebrity who will break our hearts?

Jackson50

How'd you miss Bynum, Reilo!?

So Glenn Hubbard told Yahoo News today that Romney's tax play is still deficit neutral and will cut everyone's taxes. When told how, he basically said the same old BS of economic growth (which no economist agrees with since he's lying) and base broadening.

When is the media going to call out "base broadening." Base broadening = tax raises. There is no way around this. You cannot claim you're cutting taxes for everyone and base broadening at the same time. It's a contradiction. Fuck you, media.
The usual suspects have been desperately attempting to defend Romney's assertion. Only, they keep failing.
Huntsman had a much more pragmatic/logical foreign policy stance than any other Republican candidate. Which is what people should focus on when discussing Presidents.
It's not the only topic people should focus on. But it receives short shrift, certainly. And, yes, Huntsman's foreign policy seemed to be more pragmatic than the traditional neoconservative pabulum of his contemporaries. His policy on Afghanistan, which was the only topic he elucidated, was even superior to Obama's policy. He devised to significantly reduce our military presence and focus on counter-terrorism. It's not the ideal policy, but it would be an improvement over current policy. He failed to expound on other topics beyond generalities. But if his stance on Afghanistan is representative of his general approach, it's a respectable foreign policy.

Patton Oswalt claiming on Twitter to know who the Mystery Speaker is tonight and is "kinda bummed" about it. Big defector? Celebrity who will break our hearts?

Patton Oswalt bummed means to me not that its a defector, but something that's totally boring to him. Patton is all about the theatre of politics. I'm guessing it's just some bluedog.

edit: OR ITS LENO

ezekial45

Banned
First thing I thought of was Matt Damon. He's spoken out in the past about how Obama has disappointed him and such.

EDIT: But it could be an old timer.

reilo

First thing I thought of was Matt Damon. He's spoken out in the past about how Obama has disappointed him and such.

EDIT: But it could be an old timer.

Matt Damon is disappointed with Obama because he's not liberal enough in his mind. Damon would never support the RNC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom