• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

codhand

Republicans: "We love cutting taxes!

Just not ones that benefit the greatest number of people."

Let's not forget the prreeeciouusss Bush cuts that are currently held hostage via House Republicans; even got the crusty white boy's club aka the senate to see the light on that one..,

Kosmo

Banned
Are you denying that's a fact?

Not at all. But if we're talking federal income tax rates, let's talk federal income tax rates and not conflate it with "Well yeah, but they pay other taxes too..."

Republicans: "We love cutting taxes!

Just not ones that benefit the greatest number of people."

On the federal income tax side, for 48% of people, there really are no more taxes to cut.

Let's not forget the prreeeciouusss Bush cuts that are currently held hostage via House Republicans; even got the crusty white boy's club aka the senate to see the light on that one..,

Obama has all the power to let them expire and had the same power in 2010 when he signed them back into law. The dissonance is amazing.

You want to increase taxes on people who can barely pay their way through life. It's fucking stupid.
The crux of it right here. So Romney supporters are OK with raising taxes as long as its referred to as 'skin in the game'?

I just want to understand.

So, remind me why it's important that we have everybody pay at least 1% federal income tax, again?

Go ahead and look it up, if you've forgotten why you're in favor of this. I'll wait.
*pulls string*

Skin in the game... Broaden the base...

The idea of 50% not paying income taxes is stupid. For one, they pay payroll taxes and excise taxes (like gas). For another, a large chunk of people in that 50% don't pay because they have nothing to pay.

That number includes college students, disabled, the elderly poor, and people who lost their jobs and have almost no income this past year.

It wasn't close to 50% until the recession, either. The recession put a lot of people out of work. You want to increase taxes on people who can barely pay their way through life. It's fucking stupid.

The GOP keeps focusing on "income tax," ignoring that it's the only progressive tax we have and all the others are highly regressive like sales, payroll, and gas.

And who is most responsible for 50% paying nothing? George W Bush the GOP controlled Congress. Is was the Bush tax cuts that cut their taxes! They were getting hammered about how so much of the tax cuts went to the rich (which they did) so they put things in to cut taxes on the poor. NOW THEY ARE WHINING ABOUT THEIR OWN POLICIES PUT INTO LAW!

They were warned the tax cuts would create massive deficits. Their supply-side Jesus magic was supposed to not let it happen . . . but it did. And again THE ARE WHINGING ABOUT THEIR OWN POLICIES PUT INTO LAW.

FFS . . . it is nothing but faith-based voodoo economics.

codhand

I constantly talk to people at work who are truely independant.

IE abolishing minimum wage, bad

IE tax the rich, good

but the percentage who tell me "white's are the minority", or "we always get fucked" is astounding.

Kosmo seems to suffer from white-man's-burden.

You will never hear me say "Gee, I wish I wasn't white and middle class, it's so rough out there, etc tears, violins, on time mortgage payments."

Mostly saying the optics didn't work as well for me. It's hard to say he's not in charity for the glory when A) that charity is practically mandatory for him B) it's the Mormon church, and C) he goes and inflates his tax numbers by adding it and saying he pays over 20% because of it.

I didn't say there wasn't an expectation, I said that not all Mormon's tithe. That is factually correct.
I wonder how many very wealthy Mormons don't tithe. And we don't really know how much Romney actually tithes, save for one year, do we?

Regardless, it's irrelevant to the argument that was being made against not allowing him to include his charitable contributions (be they tithes or not) in his tax burden.
Charitable donations are not part of your tax burden. They reduce your taxes!

I am not sure that is exactly what he was doing. I was a branch president for a little while and a lot of people simply don't tithe even though they are active in most other sense of the word. The expectation is definitely there, though.
Were those people famously wealthy? How were they treated?

I never got the Jersey hate. I like it when I've visted.
"Garden State? What are they growin', smokestacks?"

Yay Journalism (with video/audio):

YAHOO NEWS CHIEF SAYS ROMNEYS ‘HAPPY TO HAVE A PARTY WHEN BLACK PEOPLE DROWN’

UPDATE: Chalian was fired. That was fast.

I know many here loathe Breitbart.com, but I think this is an important question they raise: "In what atmosphere does a so-called reporter feel comfortable firing off this kind of vicious joke?"
So fast it happened before your Edit was registered. But, there's a delegate out there somewhere still feeding peanuts to animals.

Not at all. But if we're talking federal income tax rates, let's talk federal income tax rates and not conflate it with "Well yeah, but they pay other taxes too..."

On the federal income tax side, for 48% of people, there really are no more taxes to cut.

Obama has all the power to let them expire and had the same power in 2010 when he signed them back into law. The dissonance is amazing.
I'd appreciate it if you started calling them the Obama Tax Cuts. They are his, now. He is the one continuing to have low tax rates. You should be praising him for this.

Why focus on the income tax rates and not total rates? Let's only talk total rates.

Wait so his answer go in the ''OP'' or? Where do I look?
They'll wait a little while for the questions in the comments to generate and the ones with the most upvotes will be the ones most likely to be answered. Obama's reply will appear directly below each question as it will obviously be the most popular response.

Wilsongt

How long will it take for Romney to respond to what Obama is doing with the words "Fail", "shameful", and "pandering" at some point in his response?

Diablos

AGaC+

lol

Something feels wrong about the President appearing on Reddit....yeah new media I get it.

If it's anything like YouTube it will be 99% questions about weed.

Sigh. Guess I could try and ask him why can't NASA get more money or

Better yet ask Will.i.am on MARS WTF!

Loudninja

Ann Romney Woos Hispanic Voters, Urging They Get Past 'Their Biases'
"I spoke to women last night and I wanted women to understand how important this election is for their children, but as I was sitting backstage listening, I thought, it's also very important that the Latino community recognize how important this election is for them," Romney said at the Latino Coalition luncheon Wednesday. "And they are mistaken if they think they are going to be better off with Barack Obama as their president. There really is only one way for prosperity, for small business, and that is, this is the simplest way I can say this: If Mitt Romney wins, America wins."

Romney said her "importance in speaking out is making sure that those coalitions," referring to women and Hispanic voters, "that would naturally be voting for another party wake up and say, You'd better really look at the issues this time."

"You'd better really look at your future and figure out who's going to be the guy that's going to make it better for you and your children, and there is only one answer," Mrs. Romney said, giving a harsher pitch than we usually hear from the woman who wants to be the next first lady.

"It really is a message that would resonate well if they could just get past some of their biases that have been there from the Democratic machines that have made us look like we don't care about this community," Romney said. "And that is not true. We very much care about you and your families and the opportunities that are there for you and your families."
She stressed her immigrant roots, mentioning her grandfather who was a Welsh coalminer, aiming to connect with the Latino audience.
"I know what it's like to be the daughter of immigrants," she said.
http://news.yahoo.com/ann-romney-woos-hispanic-voters-luncheon-181637003--abc-news-politics.html

codhand

White House spokesman Jay Carney said President Obama "did not" watch the Republican last night. Instead, Carney said, Obama watched sports. Via the pool report:

When the conversation turned to the Republican convention, Mr. Carney was asked whether the president watched any of the speeches last night.

“He did not,” he said. “I was with him and afterward he was working on his briefing books and reading a lot of material, watching sports, but not watching the convention...He had other things to do.”

ha

Owzers

"Romney said her "importance in speaking out is making sure that those coalitions," referring to women and Hispanic voters, "that would naturally be voting for another party wake up and say, You'd better really look at the issues this time.""

Wake up and listen to the lies we are telling about Democrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom