• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kosmo

Banned
I am beginning to think you have the critical thinking skills of a child.

Unlike you, I don't have a blanket belief that all bureaucracy is good, all taxes are bad, or good, or whatever. I believe context matters, that there isn't a one-size fits all approach to everything. So don't throw me that "Oh, now you're against bureaucracy hurr durr" shit. I'd like to think you're not that shallow.

Tell me something: What is the purpose of the enumerated powers act? What would be the ramifications of the enumerated powers act? Congress doesn't have the power of judicial review. Congress doesn't determine what is or isn't constitutional. Starting a circle jerk over how awesome the constitution is and how much a bunch of slaveowners from 240 years would agree with your legislation is fucking pointless.

What is the point? In fact, why the fuck did you even bring up the enumerated powers act in the first place?

The point is, it defines for constituents what authority members of Congress think they are using to pass a bill. As far as bureaucracy, you say that as if members of Congress are actually writing legislation and their lobbyists don't have the time to put in what Constitutional power would apple. As far as judicial review, it would be helpful for judges to be able to look at a passed law and say "Yes, this is Constitutional under the cited power" or it is not. If something is deemed Unconstitutional under the cited power, but an appropriate powere might exist, the SC could return the bill to Congress for a re-vote under that power.

Otherwise, what you are implying, is that PPACA would have passed with the mandate stated as a tax and members of Congress voting for it as a tax and having to explain that to constituents. If you think it would have passed as such, pass the bong.

Loudninja

Romney: I’m Not Going To Be A ‘Flip-Flopper’ On Immigration
Murdoch chimed in, three sources said, telling the candidate on the issue of immigration generally, “You have to take the fight to Obama on this.” Romney said the Hispanic vote is important, noting he has Sen. Marco Rubio on the trail for him and that one of his own sons speaks Spanish, but indicated he is not going to change positions from some of what he said in the primaries.

“I know I took some positions in the primary that are” hard to contend with in a general, Romney said, according to two sources.

“I am not going to be a flip-flopper,” he added, according to one guest. He talked more about the various concerns that he has to balance in terms of competing constituencies who have different views — and noted, two sources said, the precise percentage that Hispanic voters make up in the swing states, a figure that was less than 20 percent.
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entries/romney-im-not-going-to-be-flip-flopper

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
So basically Romney's view is, 20% of the electorate is not worth it?

Clevinger

"Romney said the Hispanic vote is important, noting he has Sen. Marco Rubio on the trail for him and that one of his own sons speaks Spanish, but indicated he is not going to change positions from some of what he said in the primaries."

Haha, I was wondering what the hell that ad was. A while ago I listened to a Romney ad in Spanish and I thought the guy said he was Mitt's son, and I was confused because, uh, what the hell would Hispanics care about that?

"Oh, wow, Romney's son speaks Spanish. He gets us!"

Loudninja

"Romney said the Hispanic vote is important, noting he has Sen. Marco Rubio on the trail for him and that one of his own sons speaks Spanish, but indicated he is not going to change positions from some of what he said in the primaries."

Haha, I was wondering what the hell that ad was. A while ago I listened to a Romney ad in Spanish and I thought the guy said he was Mitt's son, and I was confused because, uh, what the hell would Hispanics care about that?

"Oh, wow, Romney's son speaks Spanish. He gets us!"
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entries/poor-translations-in-romneys-spanish-language-ads

Jackson50

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

LOL. I am sure "dia uno" isn't exactly the most common translation, but even a cursory search through google archives shows tons and tons and tons of Dia Uno results not related to the Romney campaign, the exact same sentiment, too.

La buena direccion is exaclty the same, too. Some really stupid reaching for this article.

That DNC lady is a dunce and TPM is just as bad for printing it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Heh.

But seriously, if the government hadn't stepped in and meddled with their regulations, fast food places would've ponied up the nutrition info on their own. Otherwise there would've been an exploitable niche for fast food joints that give out nutritional information, and the ones that refused would've lost business.
*eyes narrow*

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
LOL, gave me a chuckle.

396041_4270233518146_921593678_n.jpg

The poor are just wild animals. Funny.

EDIT

whoa. I'm slowowowow.

Clevinger

LOL. I am sure "dia uno" isn't exactly the most common translation, but even a cursory search through google archives shows tons and tons and tons of Dia Uno results not related to the Romney campaign, the exact same sentiment, too.

La buena direccion is exaclty the same, too. Some really stupid reaching for this article.

That DNC lady is a dunce and TPM is just as bad for printing it.

That's not really a good argument. Google some shitty English and you'll have lots of hits using it as well.

Anyways, exact, clunky translations in marketing is nothing new, and it's not a big deal. It's still lazy though.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
That's not really a good argument. Google some shitty English and you'll have lots of hits using it as well.

Anyways, exact, clunky translations in marketing is nothing new, and it's not a big deal. It's still lazy though.

These are spanish websites. From spain, mexico, puerto rico, etc.

This one talks about Spain going in the right direction. and GASP, they say buena direccion instead of la direccion correcta. I better call up this site and let them know their translations are clunky.http://www.lne.es/gijon/2011/01/25/buena-direccion/1024321.html

This one is talking about a DAY ONE scenario and they actually say "dia uno", what is wrong with them? http://www.publico.es/deportes/312310/atletico-ano-cero-dia-uno

GTI Guy

Romney Led Bain's Investment in Firm That Disposed of Aborted Fetuses
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/poli...estment-firm-disposed-aborted-fetuses/54097/#

Mother Jones's David Corn has a report out this morning that pushes the continuing attacks on Mitt Romney's tenure at Bain Capital forward not just because of the business it involves — disposing of aborted fetuses — but because it extends the length of time he worked at Bain. According to Securities and Exchange Commission documents, Romney was involved in Bain's investment in a company called Stericycle in late 1999. What did Stericycle do? Well, it was a fast-growing, profitable medical waste company. But it also had some problems, such as getting fined for keeping body parts and dead animals in unmarked containers or exposing workers to tuberculosis. And then there were the fetuses. Romney now describes himself as "adamantly pro-life" now but embraced pro-choice positions on abortion in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Back when Bain was involved with Stericycle, anti-abortion activists have waged a campaign against the company.

But that revelation may not be the most significant part of Corn's report (conservatives who aren't wild about Romney's conservative credentials aren't making much noise now that Romney is the Republican nominee). The most damaging part may be the dates. The SEC documents Corn reviewed state that Romney "may be deemed to share voting and dispositive power with respect to" more than 2 million shares of Stericycle stock "in his capacity as sole shareholder" in the Bain companies involved in the deal. A late November 1999 document names Romney as holding "voting and dispositive power" over the Bain-owned stock. That's significant because the Romney campaign has tried to enforce a hard stop of Romney's involvement at Bain of February 1999 when he stepped down from his full-time role. When The Washington Post reported that several companies that Bain held stakes in were "pioneers" in outsourcing American jobs, the Romney campaign responded by insisting Romney had no role in the matter after February 1999. Contemporaneous reports are not quite so definitive, saying that Romney would become a "part-timer." The Stericycle story helps demonstrate just what Romney's part-time role looked like.

Chumly

So is "my son speaks spanish" the new "I have a black friend?"

lol exactly. Don't know how Romney thinks that his son speaking spanish is somehow going to secure him votes. I'm sure campaigning with Hermain Cain will get him the Black vote also. Look a black person!

Clevinger

These are spanish websites. From spain, mexico, puerto rico, etc.

This one talks about Spain going in the right direction. and GASP, they say buena direccion instead of la direccion correcta. I better call up this site and let them know their translations are clunky.http://www.lne.es/gijon/2011/01/25/buena-direccion/1024321.html

This one is talking about a DAY ONE scenario and they actually say "dia uno", what is wrong with them? http://www.publico.es/deportes/312310/atletico-ano-cero-dia-uno

Your argument is still garbage. Google "the day first" or "from day first" and you'll get loads of hits. Almost no one uses that phrase, it sounds clunky as hell, there are much better ways to say it, and yet *gasp* articles and people on the internet still use it.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Your argument is still garbage. Google "the day first" or "from day first" and you'll get loads of hits. Almost no one uses that phrase, it sounds clunky as hell, there are much better ways to say it, and yet *gasp* articles and people on the internet still use it.

You know more than Spanish news outfits, confirmed.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Yes, that's what I'm saying, genius. Not that your argument is at least as dumb as the article you mocked.

You assertion that my argument is garbage is due to your lack of understanding spanish. Dia Uno is not comparable to "day first" It literally translates, and is used as such by respected news organizations all over the spanish world, as a spanish version of "day one"

La buena direccion, however is a correct way to say "the right direction." Not that you would know that.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
A) You're too late, Mitt. B) Welcome to politics. Only, it's laughably intractable to balance the interests of a xenophobic, bigoted constituency with other interests.

Pres. Obama did not even attempt comprehensive immigration reform, unlike Pres. Bush. Interest balancing.

Pres. Obama did not even attempt comprehensive immigration reform, unlike Pres. Bush. Interest balancing.

If the Republicans filibustered the Dream Act – which was first introduced into the Senate by Orrin Hatch – what makes you think the GOP would go for full comprehensive immigration reform?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yahoo had an article saying the swing states are breaking for Obama, and wolf Blitzer said that their poll showed Romney winning in 12 swing states. *confused*

Tamanon

Banned
Yahoo had an article saying the swing states are breaking for Obama, and wolf Blitzer said that their poll showed Romney winning in 12 swing states. *confused*

CNN took their national poll and just divided it by what state. They had 582 people polled for 15 swing states, it's....volatile to say the least.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
If the Republicans filibustered the Dream Act – which was first introduced into the Senate by Orrin Hatch – what makes you think the GOP would go for full comprehensive immigration reform?

Olympia Snowe voted against cloture. Harry Reid adding tacking it on to a defense bill does not count.(Read Master of the Senate for some real filibustering.) Pres. Obama had majorities in both houses his first two years, promised to do it in his campaign, and did not try.

The issue is vastly more complicated than Republican racism. Am I the only person here who reads the Wall St. journal editorial page?

Why do people hate Piers Morgan? I love his interviews with conservative nutjobs. He made Bachmann look like a fool just now, but that's not hard to achieve I suppose. But regardless his interviews with conservative tools are pretty striking. Larry King has never in his 1000 years on-air done this.

Tamanon

Banned
Why do people hate Piers Morgan? I love his interviews with conservative nutjobs. He made Bachmann look like a fool just now, but that's not hard to achieve I suppose. But regardless his interviews with conservative tools are pretty striking. Larry King has never in his 1000 years on-air done this.

Piers Morgan epitomizes a slimy journalist. His role in the whole phone hacking fiasco was deplorable.

Cloudy

Banned
Am I the only person here who reads the Wall St. journal editorial page?

You say that like it's some great accomplishment. WSJ is nothing more than a right-wing rag. Where have all the principled conservative opinion-writers gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom