• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

Ah so Romney, RNC, PAC. Makes sense now

It's starting to seem like Romney is falling behind like McCain did. Obviously tomorrow's bad jobs report will revive him, but for how long? Obama can infinitely change the subject, and the Bain attacks are clearly harming him. Now this offshore account shit is going to do damage as well. The ads write themselves: he basically has spent his professional life betting against America.

I'm sure he'll reshuffle his camp soon, as McCain did. There's still plenty of time obviously, but I think many Americans will go into August/September already knowing about Romney's vulture capitalism and being concerned about it, even if they don't trust Obama anymore.

Did you miss the adp report today?

Measley

It's starting to seem like Romney is falling behind like McCain did. Obviously tomorrow's bad jobs report will revive him, but for how long? Obama can infinitely change the subject, and the Bain attacks are clearly harming him. Now this offshore account shit is going to do damage as well. The ads write themselves: he basically has spent his professional life betting against America.

I'm sure he'll reshuffle his camp soon, as McCain did. There's still plenty of time obviously, but I think many Americans will go into August/September already knowing about Romney's vulture capitalism and being concerned about it, even if they don't trust Obama anymore.

This was Romney's death knell;

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/opinion/19romney.html

As soon as he wrote that, his campaign was toast.

It would help if Romney actually brought genuine positive energy to his campaign, and an actual cohesive plan...to go with his all negative "obama sux" campaign, which right now, is basically a glorified version of "I know you are but what am I" style of rhetoric.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
McKinsey probably could do a better job than the typical "well this guy knows this gal and would get you this person's fealty forever" process that typically goes on.

TRUTH. Cabinets are a shameless display of who has scratched which back the most and the longest. Outsiders looking into the best candidates for which positions would probably be a great idea.

What about it. 90k jobs tomorrow are anticipated, and I'd bet it comes in more like 75k. Not enough to benefit Obama.

Anything above 0 benefits Obama.

On a sidenote, that PA voter suppression tactic is rage-inducing. Does PA really have an illegal immigration problem on such a grand level? I hope PA is a blowout for democrats. But in the end, I blame PA voters. Screw you guys for electing shining beacon of truth and justice that is Corbett.

Tamanon

Banned
TRUTH. Cabinets are a shameless display of who has scratched which back the most and the longest. Outsiders looking into the best candidates for which positions would probably be a great idea.

Eh, the whole concept of the Executive office is who you surround yourself with. I think they were just annoyed that Romney wasn't showing any of his thought process on who he might consider. Ties back to the whole "conservative" thing.

Averon

ADP and BLS respective reports have been wildly divergent on several occasions.

On a sidenote, that PA voter suppression tactic is rage-inducing. Does PA really have an illegal immigration problem on such a grand level? I hope PA is a blowout for democrats. But in the end, I blame PA voters. Screw you guys for electing shining beacon of truth and justice that is Corbett.

I'm not from the state, but I'm doubtful. Voter ID laws are just thinly veiled partisan attempts to make voting as hard as legally possible. Less voters voting=more GOP wins. It really is that simple. Vote fraud is just the excuse Voter ID proponents uses.

Anything above 0 benefits Obama.

The economy needs around 120k a month to keep up with population growth. Likewise Obama would need that amount for UE to drop

My favorite quote is this:

Recently, the state’s GOP House Majority Leader Mike Turzai boasted of the Voter-ID law as a Republican accomplishment that would have an effect in November, telling a party meeting: “Voter ID, which is gonna allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania, done.”

His spokesman later told TPM: “The fact is that while Pennsylvania Democrats don’t like it to be talked about, there is election fraud.”
How does nobody fucking call them out on this shit?

Amir0x

Banned
so today at work the guy who gloated about the supreme court definitely overturning the health care ruling, to which I returned the gloat salvo after we won, shoved a paper in my face and swore "here, PROOF that illegal immigrants are going to now have 100% free health insurance under Obamacare!" The proof was this ancient fucking e-mail. This shit is STILL circulating? Really?

Fucking hell the internet sucks ass sometimes.

gcubed

My favorite quote is this:

How does nobody fucking call them out on this shit?

its not going to change a thing.

so today at work the guy who gloated about the supreme court definitely overturning the health care ruling, to which I returned the gloat salvo after we won, shoved a paper in my face and swore "here, PROOF that illegal immigrants are going to now have 100% free health insurance under Obamacare!" The proof was this ancient fucking e-mail. This shit is STILL circulating? Really?

Fucking hell the internet sucks ass sometimes.

proper response... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICZ06gYpu6w

Oh I know Obama will still win Pennsylvania. I just think it's funny that you have this GOP leader going around saying "our voter ID law will deliver the election to Romney" and then the next day accuse Democrats of voter fraud and everyone just runs with it.

If you had a Democrat sponsoring a bill that made it easier to vote and then said it'd give the election to Obama, the media would be all over that shit.

Also

428556_444832442218068_516817964_n.jpg

“Oh, what a contrast, my friends, between these two men who would be president!” Strickland said, standing outside the Wolcott House Museum. “President Obama is betting on America and American workers, and Mitt Romney is betting his resources in the Cayman Islands, in Bermuda, in Switzerland and God only knows where else he is putting his resources.”

Goddammit, Strickland. You had me. :lol

Jackson50

I think most of the studies on ID check voting have shown that it doesn't end up negatively affecting turnout TOO much, since of those registered voters, only like something along the lines of 5% of the would actually vote any way, and those are the ones motivated enough to file a provisional ballot, or take the necessary steps.

Doesn't mean that's it's still not a stupid thing to do that makes people less interested in voting in order to solve a problem that doesn't actually exist.
The evidence is inconclusive. Moreover, results vary depending on the unit of analysis. Many studies which utilize aggregate data have produced a null finding, although a few have identified a modestly negative effect on turnout. Alternatively, studies which utilize individual-level data expose a negative effect with greater frequency. Altogether, the effect is probably not substantial enough to swing an election; claims to the contrary are dubious. Nonetheless, it's an important normative issue. Should we increase the costs of voting, especially considering the absence of voter fraud, given they disproportionately effect groups that are typically underrepresented? No.

Regardless of how it's parsed, $100 million is a substantial yield. Remember, a portion of the donations to the Victory Fund are distributed to the Romney Campaign. Then, the balance is apportioned to the RNC and state parties which could have considerable implications for Congressional races. And that would ultimately benefit Romney.

Further, the speculation on a campaign shuffle is premature. Considering what is expected to be another tepid employment report tomorrow, in conjunction with the fundraising yield, I'm sure the narrative will return to Romney's favor and everyone will question the Obama Campaign. Temporarily, of course. Until the pendulum inevitably swings to Obama and we repeat the cycle.

Wow, you guys see this shameless act of political opportunism?

http://thinkprogress.org/health/201...-whose-uninsured-sister-died-of-colon-cancer/

I like Obama, but that shit ain't cool, yo.
Wait, he didn't talk to anyone about it but her. The press pool contacted her afterwards and asked what they talked about and she told them. You're going to put that on Obama? What's he supposed to do, not talk to anyone in case they might be a perfect example of a problem his policies have solved?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Isn't it obvious?

Obama ordered someone from the CDC to give that poor woman's sister colon cancer so that he could then give off the impression that he cares about such people's plight.

It's called reading between the lines, people!

Isn't it obvious?

Obama ordered someone from the CDC to give that poor woman's sister colon cancer so that he could then give off the impression that he cares about such people's plight.

It's called reading between the lines, people!

you know I wouldn't be surprised if this theory becomes a chain e-mail tomorrow

Wait, he didn't talk to anyone about it but her. The press pool contacted her afterwards and asked what they talked about and she told them. You're going to put that on Obama? What's he supposed to do, not talk to anyone in case they might be a perfect example of a problem his policies have solved?

You guys are easily trolled, it's kind of sad

Amir0x

Banned
Yea seriously. Oblivion has been on like a ten-week sarcasm tour. All his threads start with sarcasm and half his posts do too lol

you guys who fell for it... all I gotta say is SMH ;)

Loudninja

Romney to bolster communications team amid conservative tempest
Romney’s advisers insisted that he would keep his inner circle intact amid growing concerns about the Republican presidential candidate and his campaign. The tempest began with a weekend tweet from media tycoon Rupert Murdoch and burst Thursday onto the pages of his newspaper the Wall Street Journal, as its conservative editorial board opined that Romney’s advisers were “slowly squandering an historic opportunity” to beat President Obama.

By day’s end, talk radio host Laura Ingraham had asked listeners whether the vacationing candidate should “get off the jet ski,” and influential commentator William Kristol, who recently returned from a private retreat with Romney and his senior strategists, had bemoaned the campaign’s “dangerous self-delusion.” Without a course correction, Kristol posited, Romney would suffer the same fate as the last two presidential nominees from Massachusetts, Michael Dukakis and John F. Kerry, both Democrats.

Romney’s advisers strongly rejected the course-correction suggestion but said they have been in the process of recruiting more political muscle to his Boston-based headquarters.

The campaign plans to bolster its rapid response and overall messaging operations and to assemble a senior staff for the eventual vice presidential running mate, according to strategists close to the campaign. They said some Republicans who have been informally advising the campaign may assume more official duties, including appearing as surrogates on television. The strategists said the moves could be announced as early as next week.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...tive-tempest/2012/07/05/gJQAVkdQQW_print.html

Can't see the video at work. Is his meltdown as epic as it sounds?
I really cant count how many times he said her name over and over.

GhaleonEB

Been on the road all day, so I'm catching up on news. I fully expect the BLS's odd seasonal adjustment pattern this year to continue and remove any bump that might occur, as indicated by Challenger and ADP. +100k at best. Love to be wrong, but I'm expecting it to be flat to last month (once revised).

Not really worried about Romney's fundraising. We'll see how tight the margins are, but regardless Obama will have sufficient funds.

Oblivion

Haha, I like this. Reddit commenter on thanking France for helping the U.S. gain its independence:

"If it weren't for the French, we'd be speaking English now."

Diablos

Uh, if PA is really close (and it may very well be) this could really make every Democrat here in the state (and of course the nation) on the edge of their seat until it's finally called. There's a lot of both students and poor folks without a drivers' license that I can see getting totally turned off by this law. As a PA resident I'm pretty fucking irate over this purely political bullshit from the state GOP.

I voted for Onorato. And that was the problem -- he was a crappy candidate. Better than Corbett of course, but still not a very strong candidate. Ed Rendell was an asshole but he knew how to govern. I wish he could have ran for a third term.

I'd be shocked if Corbett got re-elected, but we're stuck with him as well as an all GOP state house/senate. fml.

Oblivion

Averon

Walsh is a damn clown. If Obama loses in Nov, I can take solace in the fact that Walsh will be voted out of office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom