• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
i feel like i'm bringing to work today a suitcase full of information discrediting the like nine page report that these conservative wackos at work left with me.

Amir0x: doing the job the media doesn't since 1999™

gcubed

Uh, if PA is really close (and it may very well be) this could really make every Democrat here in the state (and of course the nation) on the edge of their seat until it's finally called. There's a lot of both students and poor folks without a drivers' license that I can see getting totally turned off by this law. As a PA resident I'm pretty fucking irate over this purely political bullshit from the state GOP.

Its not close and it won't change a thing. Its purely political, and its the perfect thing for you to get your panties in a bunch about but PA isn't that close.

codhand

Goolsbee prediction just now for 48k private sector. "I just don't think we're growing." "Not a whole lot the fed can do."

:-( no hype this time*

*80k jobs
-8.2% unemployment unchanged
-hours worked up .1
-participation rate unchanged
-construction jobs were flat

No bueno.

Loudninja

There were some good signs in the report. The average work week grew to 34.5 hours from 34.4 in May, boosting many workers' paychecks. And average hourly wages rose 6 cents to $23.50. Hourly pay has increased 2 percent in the past year and is ahead of inflation, which has fallen in recent months along with gas prices.

About one-third of the jobs gained in June were in temporary services. Manufacturing added 11,000, its ninth straight month of gains. But growth in factory jobs slowed sharply in the second quarter compared to the first. Health care added 13,000 jobs and financial services gained 5,000. Retailers, transportation firms and government cut jobs.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...yment-rate_n_1653579.html?utm_hp_ref=business

Were you asleep in 2009 and 2010?
2009 and 2010 you say?

dcGYa.jpg

Yeah, Obama has always seemed more like a "pass the buck" than a "buck stops with me" guy.

He would probably be a "buck stops with me" kind of guy if the buck would ever get to him in the first place. Instead he's got a bunch of man babies pissing and stomping on said buck.

Kosmo

Banned
IIRC, that chart was made when the full effects of the recession hadn't been properly measured. They thought it had been a 3% contraction instead of 8%.

Whatever floats your boat as an Obama apologist. So what are you saying, we're right where we should be?

ToxicAdam

IIRC, that chart was made when the full effects of the recession hadn't been properly measured. They thought it had been a 3% contraction instead of 8%.

Probably should have spent their political capital on a second stimulus instead of health care and a failed energy bill once they realized their grievous error.

Whatever floats your boat as an Obama apologist. So what are you saying, we're right where we should be?

Do...do you not understand how math works?

Kosmo, if I subtract five to get the desired number of six from eleven, when it in reality it was actually thirteen, subtracting five is not going to get me six.
Probably should have spent their political capital on a second stimulus instead of health care and a failed energy bill once they realized their grievous error.
Hindsight is 20/20, and they only had a filibuster-proof majority for four months. Wasn't as apparent that we need a second stimulus in 2009 than it was in late 2010 and beyond.

Chumly

Still trying to cling on to 09-10 kosmo? Maybe you should call up the GOP and ask them what they did in the last 2 years when the economy stagnated under their rule.

Kosmo

Banned
Still trying to cling on to 09-10 kosmo? Maybe you should call up the GOP and ask them what they did in the last 2 years when the economy stagnated under their rule.

Their rule...in one branch of Congress. I'm actually very much against one party rule, so government gridlock is just fine with me.

ToxicAdam

Hindsight is 20/20, and they only had a filibuster-proof majority for four months. Wasn't as apparent that we need a second stimulus in 2009 than it was in late 2010 and beyond.

ADP_Employment_Report-Nov_2009.png

Really? I think it was pretty clear by the summer of 09 that we were talking about a much bigger loss to the economy than 3 percent.

July 7th 2009 said:
The U.S. should consider drafting a second stimulus package focusing on infrastructure projects because the $787 billion approved in February was “a bit too small,” said Laura Tyson, an outside adviser to President Barack Obama.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aStWHJXsvePA

July 7 said:
Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, D-R.I., said a second stimulus is “probably needed,” and predicted that Congress is likely to act before the end of the year to inject even more federal dollars into the economy.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2009/07/dem-senator-second-stimulus-probably-needed/

July 9th said:
In a meeting with President Obama today at the White House, top labor leaders pushed for a second stimulus package to create more jobs. “Since the onset of the recession, this country has lost an astounding 6.5 million jobs and $14 trillion in wealth. We support the President's recovery and reinvestment program, and we believe it should be substantially reinforced with more stimulus, creating millions of good jobs that cannot be outsourced,

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2009/07/labor-leaders-push-obama-for-second-stimulus-package/

It goes on and on from there. Amazing all these seperate people had "20/20 hindsight" back in July of 2009. But instead, it was full speed ahead with the struggling Health Care Reform and the soon to be aborted Cap and Trade/Energy Bill.

teiresias

Their rule...in one branch of Congress. I'm actually very much against one party rule, so government gridlock is just fine with me.

The amount of cognitive dissonance it takes to be just fine with grid lock caused by Republicans and then blame the President for inaction due to that same gridlock must be so staggering that I'm surprised your head isn't painfully swollen.

Alright, you have me on that part, but I remain unconvinced it was politically feasible. The White House, when passing the first stimulus, assumed that they could go back to Congress for more if needed. They were wrong.

Kosmo

Banned
Thanks to President Romney getting ready to move into the White House!

It would be almost hilarious to see Romney get elected and the economy turn to see Democrats call it the Obama recovery. Granholm, after being maybe the worst governor ever, has even tried to claim some credit for Michigan's recovery because she "laid the groundwork."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom