• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.
MKTTv.jpg

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The only way this is possible is by asking the people we have voted into power to write legislation that expressly limits their power to enrich themselves and limit their powers to do things that limit their ability to get re-elected. That we had to wait until 2012 for any real limits on insider trading for members of Congress should be testament enough to convince you the state does not have your (or "the people's") best interest in mind.

I still hold that giving the power to the hands of a democratically elected government has "the people's" best interests more in mind then any real alternative. We can argue back and forth about exactly how much interest that is all day.

dramatis

So only certain people get to speak. Got it.
Nobody thinks very much about it, but not all speech in the U.S. is free.

The part we always remember is that the Bill of Rights gives us the power of free speech, but over the course of American history, Supreme Court rulings have refined the definition of free speech and thus placed limitations on it based off some common sense, logical reasoning that you would probably agree with.

One case in point is "shouting fire in a crowded theater, when there is no fire". Unless you for some bizarre reason believe this is the right of the individual to say this kind of thing under these circumstances, that is not the kind of speech that is allowed, because it can and will cause harm to people for no good reason.

My opposition to Citizens United isn't concerned with denying the rights of 'certain people' to speak. Rather, I think their 'speech' is harmful by infringing on the speech of other individuals (by drowning them out due to the sheer difference in money as speech) and that this 'speech' has a very real danger of corrupting public offices. If this speech is harmful to other people and to the functions of the government (and by extension society, which is undoubtedly influenced by both people and government), then it is impermissible. It has nothing to do with whether or not people are allowed to speak (they are), but with the content and volume of what they say.

Chichikov

Fuck those quizzes, seriously.
If I wanted to know someone's political alignment (and I usually don't) I could read their posts.
Do we really need to have 2 pages of people posting political compass screencap every 10 pages?

Like, do people go around saying "man, I'm really curious to see if Chichikov align more with Gary Johnson or Ron Paul"?
Is that interesting to anyone but the person filling the quiz?

/ yeah, I'm really hung over from the 4th, and yeah, that's makes me irritable.

"More than 758,000 registered voters in Pennsylvania do not have photo identification cards from the state Transportation Department, putting their voting rights at risk in the November election," the Philadelphia Inquirer reports.

The figures represent 9.2% of the state's 8.2 million voters.
The new numbers, based on a comparison of voter registration rolls with PennDot ID databases, shows the potential problem is much bigger, particularly in Philadelphia, where 186,830 registered voters - 18 percent of the city's total registration - do not have PennDot ID.
http://articles.philly.com/2012-07-04/news/32537732_1_voter-id-new-voter-id-cards

Kosmo

Banned

Fortunately, nobody will be prevented from voting:

If you do not have one of these IDs and require one for voting purposes, you may be entitled to get one FREE OF CHARGE at a PennDOT Driver License Center. To find the Driver License Center nearest you, and learn what identification and residency documentation you will need to get a photo ID visit PennDOT's Voter ID website or call the Department of State's Voter ID Hotline at 1-877-VotesPA (1-877-868-3772).

NO ONE legally entitled to vote will be denied the right to do so. If you do not have a photo ID or are indigent and unable to obtain one without payment of a fee, you may cast a provisional ballot, and will have six days to provide your photo ID and/or an affirmation to your county elections office to have your ballot count. If you have a religious objection to being photographed you can still vote by presenting a valid without-photo driver’s license or a valid without-photo ID card issued by PennDOT.

Fuck those quizzes, seriously.
If I wanted to know someone's political alignment (and I usually don't) I could read their posts.
Do we really need to have 2 pages of people posting political compass screencap every 10 pages?

Like, do people go around saying "man, I'm really curious to see if Chichikov align more with Gary Johnson or Ron Paul"?
Is that interesting to anyone but the person filling the quiz?

/ yeah, I'm really hung over from the 4th, and yeah, that's makes me irritable.

If it wasn't, you probably wouldn't see so many people doing it in response.

The Technomancer

Fortunately, nobody will be prevented from voting:

And as long as the state launches a massive and pervasive campaign to make sure that people are aware of what they have to do I'd probably be alright with this.

What's the betting that they actually do that?

Chichikov

If it wasn't, you probably wouldn't see so many people doing it in response.
I think people do it because they like to talk about themselves and their opinions.
There's nothing wrong with stating ones opinions, I just think that there is no more boring of doing it than posting a political quiz results.
Which is why those posts rarely spur interesting discussion, or discussion at all.

I still hold that giving the power to the hands of a democratically elected government has "the people's" best interests more in mind then any real alternative. We can argue back and forth about exactly how much interest that is all day.

This is inarguable. It is the very intended purpose of democratic government. When democratic government strays from the people's interests, it is called corruption. And that usually only means it has strayed from democratic processes. Currently, the US government is not very democratic, because it is mostly influenced and controlled by entities other than its citizens. The solution to this is not to throw away, limit, or reduce the size of government. It is to reclaim--and thereafter vigorously protect--democracy.

I think most of the studies on ID check voting have shown that it doesn't end up negatively affecting turnout TOO much, since of those registered voters, only like something along the lines of 5% of the would actually vote any way, and those are the ones motivated enough to file a provisional ballot, or take the necessary steps.

Doesn't mean that's it's still not a stupid thing to do that makes people less interested in voting in order to solve a problem that doesn't actually exist.

The Technomancer

This is inarguable. It is the very intended purpose of democratic government. When democratic government strays from the people's interests, it is called corruption. And that usually only means it has strayed from democratic processes. Currently, the US government is not very democratic, because it is mostly influenced and controlled by entities other than its citizens. The solution to this is not to throw away, limit, or reduce the size of government. It is to reclaim--and thereafter vigorously protect--democracy.

Fully agree, and that's very well articulated. The thing is, I see where the people who want to shrink the government and its powers are coming from (or at least I think I do, anyone who does should feel free to correct me): the idea is that shrinking the government and limiting it will increase personal liberties and freedom. And I just don't think that the second part will necessarily follow from the first: shrinking government scope creates a power vacuum, and I don't think that vacuum will remain unfilled. It will just give power to a group of entities that are even less accountable and have absolutely no drive, or even pretense of a drive, to work for the public good.

Fully agree, and that's very well articulated. The thing is, I see where the people who want to shrink the government and its powers are coming from (or at least I think I do, anyone who does should feel free to correct me): the idea is that shrinking the government and limiting it will increase personal liberties and freedom. And I just don't think that the second part will necessarily follow from the first: shrinking government scope creates a power vacuum, and I don't think that vacuum will remain unfilled. It will just give power to a group of entities that are even less accountable and have absolutely no drive, or even pretense of a drive, to work for the public good.

Agreed.

Chumly

Pretty much.... I just don't get how people actually believe less government is a solution. It has never worked in the past. If you want to deal with corruption you fix the government who in turn keeps the private sector in check. If you have corrupt private sector reducing the power of government is not going to make it less corrupt. In fact it's going to magnify the problem

Obama's campaign is no doubt on the ball with respect to voter ID changes and possible disenfranchisement; likewise they'll certainly have many lawyers on hand at polling stations. Still, this is the type of thing that could completely alter the election. Same thing in Wisconsin.

Pretty much.... I just don't get how people actually believe less government is a solution. It has never worked in the past. If you want to deal with corruption you fix the government who in turn keeps the private sector in check. If you have corrupt private sector reducing the power of government is not going to make it less corrupt. In fact it's going to magnify the problem

This line of discussion has been spot on.

Clevinger

"@MittRomney campaign obliterates fundraising goals, raises over $100m in JUNE, best month so far (record: Obama raised $150m in 9/08)"

So Obama's losing out in SuperPAC money by a huge margin, and now also regular fundraising. Say hello to President Willard Romney.

"@MittRomney campaign obliterates fundraising goals, raises over $100m in JUNE, best month so far (record: Obama raised $150m in 9/08)"

So Obama's losing out in SuperPAC money by a huge margin, and now also regular fundraising. Say hello to President Willard Romney.

Yea it sucks big time.

Wealthy Dem Donors suck.

Chumly

I do believe on such a large scale it won't make as big of a difference being outspent although it doesn't help. Smaller races can be signicantly affected though

NYT had a piece on the Dems trying to compete. This quote scared me though

Burton and his colleagues spent the early months of 2012 trying out the pitch that Romney was the most far-right presidential candidate since Barry Goldwater. It fell flat. The public did not view Romney as an extremist. For example, when Priorities informed a focus group that Romney supported the Ryan budget plan — and thus championed “ending Medicare as we know it” — while also advocating tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans, the respondents simply refused to believe any politician would do such a thing.

Seriously?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/m...ch-up-in-the-super-pac-game.html?pagewanted=1

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

No amount of money in the world can compensate for three things:

1)Romney is Kerry 2.0: stiff, unpopular, flip-flopping (on every issue, not like Kerry with like 2 things)

and

2) Conservatives are clearly not behind Romney. Sure, they are anti-Obama, but there is only so much an anti-opponent sentiment can get you. To anyone paying attention to talk radio, Fox News, CNN, and so on, conservatives, especially those in the right-wing media, will not shill for the guy. They bag every decision he does and destroys him on so many positions. I thought they would get in line, lock step with Romney after the primaries, but they really don't seem to care if he wins or loses. My own private conspiracy theory is that they don't actually want to a republican to win the white house, since they are more comfortable tearing those in leadership down, not defending their own team. I wonder if there is any correlation between which party is in office and what their ratings are like.

3) Obama is really popular, despite the economy, unemployment, and so on.

I want to see where the donors are coming from. I doubt much comes from small donors, and perhaps I'm naive but it seems impossible for Wall Street and a handful of businessman alone to raise $100m in a month given the maximum of funds allowed

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I want to see where the donors are coming from. I doubt much comes from small donors, and perhaps I'm naive but it seems impossible for Wall Street and a handful of businessman alone to raise $100m in a month given the maximum of funds allowed

Really. If it is 100m to just Romney's campaign, it has to be a lot of donors. Isn't the max 2500 to a personal campaign?

If they are counting PACs and all that, then it is probably a lot of Adelson scenarios.

Really. If it is 100m to just Romney's campaign, it has to be a lot of donors. Isn't the max 2500 to a personal campaign?

If they are counting PACs and all that, then it is probably a lot of Adelson scenarios.

If it includes PACs I wouldn't be concerned/so curious. But if not I'm seriously baffled at what's going on.

Plus I want to see Obama's numbers for June. The immigration news plus continued response to the gay marriage announcement should provide solid numbers.

It's amazing just how much various industries hate Obama for only giving them 70% of what they want.

The Technomancer

Given the amount of money being poured into this election the result is either going to make me incredibly cynical or incredibly hopeful about human nature.

Measley

2) Conservatives are clearly not behind Romney. Sure, they are anti-Obama, but there is only so much an anti-opponent sentiment can get you. To anyone paying attention to talk radio, Fox News, CNN, and so on, conservatives, especially those in the right-wing media, will not shill for the guy. They bag every decision he does and destroys him on so many positions. I thought they would get in line, lock step with Romney after the primaries, but they really don't seem to care if he wins or loses. My own private conspiracy theory is that they don't actually want to a republican to win the white house, since they are more comfortable tearing those in leadership down, not defending their own team. I wonder if there is any correlation between which party is in office and what their ratings are like.

I was listening to right-wing radio this morning, and some guy hosting the Glenn Beck program was just trashing Romney for being a flip-flopper and receiving soft interviews. He even went so far as to replay old Romney quotes where he supported TARP, abortion, amnesty, and the stimulus. I was pretty surprised. I guess Romney is even refusing to do right wing talk shows, and its pissing some of them off.

I've always believed that it's not about more or less government, it's about better and more effective government and the way to that path is to elect smart, principled, pragmatic people.

Diablos

The new numbers, based on a comparison of voter registration rolls with PennDot ID databases, shows the potential problem is much bigger, particularly in Philadelphia, where 186,830 registered voters - 18 percent of the city's total registration - do not have PennDot ID.

Well, Obama carried Philly by 460k+ votes in 2008:

UIWol.gif

So it shouldn't be a problem in Philly, but my county might be at risk:

jH4n8.gif

Pittsburgh is in Allegheny County. Lots of schools/students here who might get confused.

What a stupid law. Fuck Corbett.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/pa.htm

Well, Obama carried Philly by 460k+ votes in 2008:

UIWol.gif

So it shouldn't be a problem in Philly, but my county might be:

jH4n8.gif

Pittsburgh is in Allegheny County. Lots of schools/students here who might get confused.

Fuck Corbett.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/pa.htm

The story also mentions 750k potentially disenfranchised voters, and you can bet your ass most are black or young voters. If PA is a blowout, it won't matter. But if this is close...

Chumly

I've always believed that it's not about more or less government, it's about better and more effective government and the way to that path is to elect smart, principled, pragmatic people.
I would tend to agree with this but then We come around full circle to what we were originally arguing. Your not going to get smart, principled, pragmatic people when you have corporations and large donors muddying up the waters with 10-15 million dollar donations. Which is why they needs to be regulations in place to prevent corruption due to this.

the $100 million is divided between three entities: romney campaign, RNC, and victory fund.

anyway, check out this quote from a NYTimes article that explores the Romney-Murdoch deep-thaw:

...Their lukewarm feelings toward each other stem from their encounter at a meeting of The Journal editorial board in 2007, when Mr. Romney visited to pitch himself as the most capable conservative candidate about two months before the Iowa caucuses.

Romney and Journal staff members who attended said that despite being deeply prepared and animated — particularly on his love for data crunching — Mr. Romney failed to connect with either Mr. Murdoch or The Journal’s editorial page editor, Paul A. Gigot. Instead of articulating a clear and consistent conservative philosophy, he dwelled on organizational charts and executive management, areas of expertise that made him a multimillionaire as the head of his private equity firm, Bain Capital.

At one point, Mr. Romney declared that “I would probably bring in McKinsey,” the management consulting firm, to help him set up his presidential cabinet, a comment that seemed to startle the editors and left Mr. Murdoch visibly taken aback.

this guy can't help himself!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/06/u...mney-shows-murdoch-doubt-on-candidacy.html?hp

McKinsey probably could do a better job than the typical "well this guy knows this gal and would get you this person's fealty forever" process that typically goes on.

Ah so Romney, RNC, PAC. Makes sense now

It's starting to seem like Romney is falling behind like McCain did. Obviously tomorrow's bad jobs report will revive him, but for how long? Obama can infinitely change the subject, and the Bain attacks are clearly harming him. Now this offshore account shit is going to do damage as well. The ads write themselves: he basically has spent his professional life betting against America.

I'm sure he'll reshuffle his camp soon, as McCain did. There's still plenty of time obviously, but I think many Americans will go into August/September already knowing about Romney's vulture capitalism and being concerned about it, even if they don't trust Obama anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom