• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
CNN certainly is right leaning. They frame budget issues as being solely dependent on cutting "entitlements," war monger on Iran, and love Paul Ryan. They clearly don't go as full retard as Fox or MSNBC does for the left, but CNN is center right. To make matters worse, they deliberately attempt to give republicans "equal" respect which apparently means to give credence to ridiculous anti-Obama views such as the Jack Welsh shit.

What's crazy about this is that CNN used to be a pretty liberal network. ESPECIALLY back in the 2008 election. I've tried to watch them recently and was kind of shocked I was watching the same network. Shame, because I actually really like Wolf Blitzer and Anderson Cooper.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Those two actually do some reporting. Blitzer and company are basically Beltway concern trolls

Blitzer is absolutely useless, I will defend Cooper and Soledad (I find it amusing Soledad fills in for Cooper when he's out) but never Blitzer. His show is just pandering for the sake of pandering, anytime it looks like real journalism might happen he goes to commercial or ends the interview.

What's crazy about this is that CNN used to be a pretty liberal network. ESPECIALLY back in the 2008 election. I've tried to watch them recently and was kind of shocked I was watching the same network. Shame, because I actually really like Wolf Blitzer and Anderson Cooper.

AC still does some good reporting, I just wish he could spend more time in the field instead of behind the desk that's where he really shines.

Juice

Since the debate, I've been worried that Romney's going to win.

I've been generally skimming headlines and avoiding news.

Am I alone? It's forced me to realize how much I'd be worried if he actually won.

Diablos

Am I alone? It's forced me to realize how much I'd be worried if he actually won.
I DIDN'T MAKE THIS POST

I will say everyone in my family and their friends and such seem to be in semi-panic mode.

Keep calm and carry on etc. But yeah this month is one hell of a ride.

Forever

Banned

Let that fear motivate you into action. Donate or something.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

So long as Romney cannot break 47% in Ohio and Obama doesn't drop below 50% (it hasn't happened yet) then Romney has a VERY VERY hard path to 270. An almost impossible one.

I DIDN'T MAKE THIS POST

rofl, we see it.

Chumly

I DIDN'T MAKE THIS POST

I will say everyone in my family and their friends and such seem to be in semi-panic mode.

Keep calm and carry on etc. But yeah this month is one hell of a ride.

posted in the same minute? Yea looks like we got an Alt account here guys. Admit it diablos...the gig is up

I'm pretty sure he hasn't yet, didn't the recent PPP poll have him at 46%? Or did I get it right and you just hadn't realized how fucked he was in that state?
I think he was referring to a comment made by Mr. Romney.

The irony of Romney only receiving 47% of the vote is delicious.

Juice

I'm pretty sure he hasn't yet, didn't the recent PPP poll have him at 46%? Or did I get it right and you just hadn't realized how fucked he was in that state?

The most damning stat from that PPP poll was

19% of Ohioans say they've already voted and Obama has a 76-24 advantage with them. Romney up 51-45 with folks who haven't voted yet

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think he was referring to a comment made by Mr. Romney.

The irony of Romney only receiving 47% of the vote is delicious.

Yea, if there is any justice on this earth then that is the percent of the popular vote that he will get. It would be so amazing and pure justice.

Tendo

So this has scared me. How can I help? I just donated some money. I live in NC. Is there a link to somewhere that I can help the Obama campaign? I'd love to make phone calls, set up informational meetings etc. Just don't know where to turn.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So this has scared me. How can I help? I just donated some money. I live in NC. Is there a link to somewhere that I can help the Obama campaign? I'd love to make phone calls, set up informational meetings etc. Just don't know where to turn.

You can find the local campaign office and help there. I think you can find the closest one on the campaigns website.

GhaleonEB

So are you saying the PPP poll is oversampled and thus closer to being an outlier?

Say it ain't so, man.
Nah, just trying to understand two very different points of data. The PPP poll is both in line with their polling trend and the overall polling trend. But the "already voted" sub sample seems high.

Only Diablos can find some ominous news in PPP's poll.

Be nice, I was the one pointing it out. I think it's a fair question.

Does anyone know where to find the data from the OFA memo? I can't find early voting data on the OH Secretary of State elections page.

Diablos

Nah, just trying to understand two very different points of data. The PPP poll is both in line with their polling trend and the overall polling trend. But the "already voted" sub sample seems high.

Be nice, I was the one pointing it out. I think it's a fair question.

Does anyone know where to find the data from the OFA memo? I can't find early voting data on the OH Secretary of State elections page.
It does indeed. I'd love to know where they got it from.

GhaleonEB

It does indeed. I'd love to know where they got it from.

Here's the question from the survey:
Have you already voted, either at an early
voting site or with an absentee ballot?
Yes.................................................................. 19%
No ................................................................... 81%

Looking at the OFA memo, a million people said they requested absentee ballots, though at the time of that snapshot, they only had a 100k processed as returned. So looking at the wording and that data point, it's plausible that between early voting and absentee ballots returned, the actual could be pretty close to the PPP survey. I just wish I could find the data. (I still have spreadsheets of early voting data from 2008.)

Tendo

Thanks! Just signed up. I figured there wouldn't be a real local group for my county but I'll be using the phone bank tool when it opens. These poll numbers have scared me into action. I'm not going to stand by and do nothing.

I wish I could be more open about communicating with people about it but as a public school teacher in a very conservative community...yeah. :( Phones are about all I can do.

Thanks! Just signed up. I figured there wouldn't be a real local group for my county but I'll be using the phone bank tool when it opens. These poll numbers have scared me into action. I'm not going to stand by and do nothing.

I wish I could be more open about communicating with people about it but as a public school teacher in a very conservative community...yeah. :( Phones are about all I can do.

Good stuff, I just did the same thing earlier this week in Virginia.

Tendo

Good stuff, I just did the same thing earlier this week in Virginia.

It is such a weird vibe here. I was in PA for the 08 and 04 elections but this one, in this county in NC is ugly. I know I'm not the only secret Obama voter but so many are so clueless to what he has done for this area. And of course, a lot of racism. But I'm going to do all that I can until election day now.

I'm a public school science teacher, my job is on the line with this election. Romney's comments on class size and education funding? Game over.

I mostly lurk. I'll be sure to post any interesting things I see/hear though. Thanks again for the link!

Diablos

Looking at the OFA memo, a million people said they requested absentee ballots, though at the time of that snapshot, they only had a 100k processed as returned. So looking at the wording and that data point, it's plausible that between early voting and absentee ballots returned, the actual could be pretty close to the PPP survey. I just wish I could find the data. (I still have spreadsheets of early voting data from 2008.)
Hmm, could be the case. PPP has to be privy to something, surely. They are too credible to clown such a vital stat like that.

The amount of Romney/Romney Super-pac/ and NRA Romney ads I'm getting here in Virginia during Saturday Night Live is beyond insane.
Dat ad blitz. Be prepared. Romney can probably blanket the whole country with incessant targeted ads about whatever between now and election day

It is such a weird vibe here. I was in PA for the 08 and 04 elections but this one, in this county in NC is ugly. I know I'm not the only secret Obama voter but so many are so clueless to what he has done for this area. And of course, a lot of racism. But I'm going to do all that I can until election day now.

I'm a public school science teacher, my job is on the line with this election. Romney's comments on class size and education funding? Game over.

I mostly lurk. I'll be sure to post any interesting things I see/hear though. Thanks again for the link!

If you don't mind me asking where in North Carolina are you? Don't see too many NC Gaffers around here.

Drakeon

Hmm, could be the case. PPP has to be privy to something, surely. They are too credible to clown such a vital stat like that.

Dat ad blitz. Be prepared. Romney can probably blanket the whole country with incessant targeted ads about whatever between now and election day

Isn't Romney behind on funds? I mean his Super Pacs might be doing fine (although they do pay more for air time than the campaigns do).

Chumly

Well the OFA stuff was from last week right? I mean with ballots in the mail and were all the ballots received (in the mail) processed? I don't know how those stats work. With the addition of early voting I don't think its necessarily that outlandish. Although its possible that they oversampled that population although I don't think it was a gross oversampling necessarily.

Forever

Banned
Per 538:

14fivethirtyeight-image-blog480.jpg

I lived in Illinois in 08 and kinda took things for granted before the recent round of polling. I'm not doing that anymore.

My wife has MS and although I'm "lucky" enough to have the insurance at the job I started recently cover her pre-existing condition, they would only do so at triple the monthly rate. So I'm working and actually going further into debt because of medical bills. Obamacare would make it so my insurance company couldn't triple my bill. My family's financial and medical future is on the line in this election.

Good luck out there and be sure to share your stories.

In 2008, there were 1.7 million early voters. I would suggest asking PPP via tweet whether their numbers mean that close to a million people have already done early voting? If true, that would be huge.

I also assume Obama campaign will not put out regular early voting information.

Tendo

I lived in Illinois in 08 and kinda took things for granted before the recent round of polling. I'm not doing that anymore.

My wife has MS and although I'm "lucky" enough to have the insurance at the job I started recently cover her pre-existing condition, they would only do so at triple the monthly rate. So I'm working and actually going further into debt because of medical bills. Obamacare would make it so my insurance company couldn't triple my bill. My family's financial and medical future is on the line in this election.

Good luck out there and be sure to share your stories.

One year ago my gf found a tumor in her pelvis. Luckily it was benign but she requires x-rays every 6 months and has potential to turn cancerous. Obamacare protects her being denied coverage because of that pre existing tumor. Not only that but it lets her stay on her families insurance until she is 26. She lives with her retired grandmother and takes care of her. I don't know what we would have done had obamacare not kicked in to cover her as she was laid off at the time we found it.

Diablos

One year ago my gf found a tumor in her pelvis. Luckily it was benign but she requires x-rays every 6 months and has potential to turn cancerous. Obamacare protects her being denied coverage because of that pre existing tumor. Not only that but it lets her stay on her families insurance until she is 26. She lives with her retired grandmother and takes care of her. I don't know what we would have done had obamacare not kicked in to cover her as she was laid off at the time we found it.
It's fucking ridiculous that anyone would want to repeal such a wonderful, even if often imperfect, law. Americans do not know how to think critically. No one wants to consider the alternative.

Diablos

It is suggested Hispanics are underrepresented in English language polls given historical voting data, reasoning being some don't participate when phoned because they don't feel comfortable conversing in English so opt out.
It's probably true, too. Language barrier? Time to hang up/ignore.

Doesn't mean a no vote.

Tendo

It's fucking ridiculous that anyone would want to repeal such a wonderful, even if often imperfect, law.

Her entire family wants it gone. We have tried explaining what would happen to her if it was gone. Nope. Don't care. I don't understand how they would risk her health like that...

But hey, I could totally just take her into the ER if it turns cancerous right? I see people getting chemo in the ER all the time! That is what Mitt told me anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom