• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.
IE Israel wants him gone so you do too.

Assad is no threat to the United States, and he is a preferable leader to any Islamic fundamentalist that will take his place after a US intervention. We have 60 years worth of evidence that US intervention and coups in the Middle East do not end well, and this will not be any different.

I don't want to arm the rebels, I don't want to install a no fly zone, I don't want to send them non-military aide. It's not our fight.

My foreign policy isn't not israeli I don't know where you get that. I greatly dislike the current israeli administration. I defend it from the insane hyperbole and often play devils advocate for the sake of not having every israeli decision being some racist, evil action even if I disagree with them personally

Your statement might have been true 2 years ago. He is a threat to the US, there would never be normalized relations if he stays in power, and he'll continue to support Hezbollah, Iran who are our enemies. He represents a illegitimate leader. As long has he stays there will be a civil war. That's a threat to the US and the stability of the religion.

I've never understood this "secular leader" being preferable to religiously inspired leaders. In the west I completely understand, in the middle east they're all Islamist when it comes to the changes the US would want in their culture.

Assad's regime will not and can not last. The quicker he goes the quicker this conflict is over. Which is better for the US, the region and the people of syria. We can put pressure on whatever regime comes after to not become another assad. The examples of Afghanistan were the fact that we left them after the soviets left. We had no engagement, we haven't had the problem in Libya, Egypt or Tunisia even those all of those countries have become more conservative. People need to stop pretending that AQ is going to take over the country.

Has this been posted yet?

Arizona Gov. Brewer secures Medicaid expansion after months-long fight with Legislature

PHOENIX — Ending a six-month legislative session, Arizona lawmakers endorsed a key element of President Barack Obama’s health care law in a huge political victory for Republican Gov. Jan Brewer, after a lengthy fight over Medicaid expansion that divided the state’s Republican leadership.

The expansion that will extend health care to 300,000 more low-income Arizonans came after months of stalled negotiations, tense debates and political maneuvering as Brewer pushed the Medicaid proposal through a hostile Legislature.

She secured her victory Thursday after lawmakers passed Brewer’s $8.8 billion state budget that included the Medicaid expansion provided under a key provision of the Affordable Care Act. The Legislature’s Republican leadership called it “Chicago politics” and labeled Brewer a puppet master, but Brewer remained undeterred as she prepared to sign the measures into state law.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...a9a224-d488-11e2-b3a2-3bf5eb37b9d0_story.html

My foreign policy isn't not israeli I don't know where you get that. I greatly dislike the current israeli administration. I defend it from the insane hyperbole and often play devils advocate for the sake of not having every israeli decision being some racist, evil action even if I disagree with them personally

Your statement might have been true 2 years ago. He is a threat to the US, there would never be normalized relations if he stays in power, and he'll continue to support Hezbollah, Iran who are our enemies. He represents a illegitimate leader. As long has he stays there will be a civil war. That's a threat to the US and the stability of the religion.

I've never understood this "secular leader" being preferable to religiously inspired leaders. In the west I completely understand, in the middle east they're all Islamist when it comes to the changes the US would want in their culture.

Assad's regime will not and can not last. The quicker he goes the quicker this conflict is over. Which is better for the US, the region and the people of syria. We can put pressure on whatever regime comes after to not become another assad. The examples of Afghanistan were the fact that we left them after the soviets left. We had no engagement, we haven't had the problem in Libya, Egypt or Tunisia even those all of those countries have become more conservative. People need to stop pretending that AQ is going to take over the country.

What kind of bizarre mind concludes that Syria is a threat to the US? There will never be normalized relations? Not a threat and that is the choice of the US anyway. He'll suppot hezbollah? Hezbollah is not a threat to the US. Iran is not a threat to the US public either. Our government may be hostile to both but that isn't because of any threat to the US domestic public. You seriously need to use better language because what you are doing borders on propaganda. You know full well you don't mean to use the word "threat" which conveys a sentiment of danger to the public. I am going to keep calling you out on this absurd nonsense. If you mean to say that Assad poses an obstacle to projecting US power in the region (which you do) then say that and cut out this "threat" bullshit. I swear you could sell an Iraq war.

Jeb Bush: Immigrants are "more fertile"

Former Florida governor Jeb Bush (R) argued Wednesday that the United States should pass immigration reform because the U.S. economy needs the labor of young immigrants, and immigrants are “more fertile.”

“Immigrants create far more businesses than native-born Americans,” Bush said at the Faith and Freedom Coalition’s Road to the Majority conference. “Immigrants are more fertile, and they love families, and they have more intact families, and they bring a younger population. Immigrants create an engine of economic prosperity.”

Bush said immigrants are an advantage that the United States has over China, Europe and Japan, which don’t have the same immigrant tradition and are struggling to find young laborers.

“If we don’t do it, we will be in decline, because the productivity of this country is dependent upon young people that are equipped to be able to work hard,” Bush said.

Bush, whose wife is a Mexican-born immigrant, has long been an advocate for comprehensive immigration reform.

Virginia lt. gov. candidate clarifies: ‘I do not believe that yoga leads to Satanism’

Virginia’s Republican candidate for lieutenant governor, E. W. Jackson, is trying to walk back statements he made in a 2008 book linking yoga to demonic possession. According to Huffington Post, Jackson held a press conference in Manassas, Virginia at which he insisted the he has never linked yoga and Satanism and that some of his best friends practice yoga.
...Jackson wrote, “When one hears the word meditation, it conjures an image of Maharishi Yoga talking about finding a mantra and striving for nirvana. The purpose of such meditation is to empty oneself. [Satan] is happy to invade the empty vacuum of your soul and possess it. Beware of systems of spirituality which tell you to empty yourself. You will end up filled with something you probably do not want.”

Diablos

For the "yeah, we're really fucked" file:

(Reuters) - The International Monetary Fund urged the United States on Friday to repeal sweeping government spending cuts and recommended that the Federal Reserve continue a bond-buying program through at least the end of the year.

In its annual check of the health of the U.S. economy, the IMF forecast economic growth would be a sluggish 1.9 percent this year. The IMF estimates growth would be as much as 1.75 percentage points higher if not for a rush to cut the government's budget deficit.

The IMF cut its outlook for economic growth in 2014 to 2.7 percent, below its 3 percent forecast published in April.

Washington slashed the federal budget in March, adding to the drag on the economy created by tax increases enacted in January.

The IMF said the United States should reverse the spending cuts and instead adopt a plan to slow the growth in spending on government-funded health care and pensions, known as "entitlements." The Fund would also like the United States to collect more in taxes.

"The deficit reduction in 2013 has been excessively rapid and ill-designed," the IMF said. "These cuts should be replaced with a back-loaded mix of entitlement savings and new revenues."

The IMF warned that sequestration's cuts to education, science and infrastructure spending could reduce potential growth.

While the Fund said total debt across all levels of government would likely decline after 2015, public finances are nevertheless on an unsustainable path due to an aging population and higher spending on health care.

KEEP EASING FOR NOW

The Fund recommended that the U.S. Federal Reserve keep up its massive asset purchases at least through the end of the year to support the U.S. recovery, but should also prepare for a pull-back in the future.

The Fed is currently buying $85 billion per month of Treasuries and mortgage-backed securities in an effort to lower borrowing costs and spur employment growth. The IMF assumes the Fed will continue this level of monthly purchases through the end of 2013, but will begin to trim them next year, IMF chief Christine Lagarde said in a news conference.

Speculation over when the Fed might start to pare back its bond buying has roiled financial markets recently. Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke stoked market speculation last month when he said a decision to pare the Fed's current pace of asset purchases might happen at one of the Fed's "next few meetings" if the economy looked set to maintain momentum.

Recent outflows from bond funds and the rise in volatility offer a worrying glimpse of how markets are likely to behave as the Fed works to scale back its enormous monetary stimulus.

The IMF said unwinding the easy-money policies would likely present challenges. It also said the long period of low interest rates could have unintended consequences in the future, sowing the seeds of future financial vulnerabilities.

(Additional reporting by Jason Lange; Editing by Andrea Ricci and Andre Grenon)
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/14/us-imf-usa-idUSBRE95D0M620130614

New revenues are not happening with the GOP in the House and that's what we really need.

Ahhhh this party is single-handedly sabotaging this country and it makes me sick.

To the contrary imo you tend to play Israel spin master in those threads.

In what world is he a threat to the United States? Furthermore if his regime is toppled the country's support for terrorism will become far more overt, and worse than it is now. There's a reason AQ and other groups are supporting the "rebels." They realize Syria could become a potent terrorist training ground if its government is replaced by Islamic fundamentalists.

To the contrary imo you tend to play Israel spin master in those threads.

In what world is he a threat to the United States? Furthermore if his regime is toppled the country's support for terrorism will become far more overt, and worse than it is now. There's a reason AQ and other groups are supporting the "rebels." They realize Syria could become a potent terrorist training ground if its government is replaced by Islamic fundamentalists.

I just don't like the demonizations and "israel is the worst state ever."

He's a threat to US interests which is a threat to the US. Is he going to attack the country? Probably not. But a threat to the US IMO doesn't = an attack on the homeland.

And the fears of it becoming a terrorist training ground have two problems. It already is and the current situation is worse for this fear as it gives them a boogy man (assad). and that only would be true if there is we topple the regime and then leave. there needs to be a sustained international effort after any regime change.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Look, boy genius, Paul Ryan's being adorable again:

“The left likes to think that we are the fringe. Guess what? You and I, we are the mainstream,” he said. “When you take a look at what’s happening, the goal we have in front of us is to reclaim the center of our politics.”

Look, boy genius, Paul Ryan's being adorable again:

“The left likes to think that we are the fringe. Guess what? You and I, we are the mainstream,” he said. “When you take a look at what’s happening, the goal we have in front of us is to reclaim the center of our politics.”

Gee, that's funny Paul. We just had an election. You lost. That is concrete evidence that you are NOT the mainstream.

I'm going to agree with EV and say that it is dangerous and misleading to call Assad a 'threat'. He's a dictator in struggling country. He's no threat to us. And he doesn't support Iran . . . Iran supports him. What does he give Iran that they do not already have?

And we do prefer a secular leader . . . theocracy sucks. And if there is no secular democratic movement then we really shouldn't join the fray since we'll just be wasting our money supporting someone that we'll eventually hate. Let them have their Islamist leader if that is what they want. Let them figure out the hard way what a bad idea that is.

And I find it hilarious that you bring up Afghanistan as something we did wrong by leaving. Well, I'm not so sure that is true now since we've now stayed there for 11 years and we still can't fix the place. Sometimes you just can't fix something. I wish we could fix everything but we just can't. We don't know how to do it and we don't have the money for it.

There are some things that are problems to be fixed. There are other things that a predicaments which can't be fixed and you just have to manage as best you can.

Gee, that's funny Paul. We just had an election. You lost. That is concrete evidence that you are NOT the mainstream.
Everyone knows if Obama didn't steal the election in Florida, Ohio, Virginia, and noted GOP stronghold Pennsylvania, Romney would have won in spite of losing the popular vote by 5 million votes.

Wrong. It was a messaging problem. The GOP has a tough time explaining their mainstream ideas, nothing more.

PublicPolicyPolling ‏@ppppolls 9m
2% of North Carolinians support the GOP's bill to make 30% interest rates on consumer finance loans up to $4,000. 68% opposed

See, messaging problem.

Remember, republicans never lose elections when they properly express their conservative views.

Wrong. It was a messaging problem. The GOP has a tough time explaining their mainstream ideas, nothing more.

I know you guys are joking . . . but they seem to believe it. OK, they are slow realizing that the gay thing is not going well. And they need to do something about latinos.

But they can't help themselves. They are going to kill any immigration bill, low-level GOPers will continue saying stupid anti-gay things, and they are still full-bore on banning abortion even in cases of rape & incest.

I think they will find those positions don't fly.

What are your thoughts on Paul leading in the latest Michigan GOP primary poll?

It makes sense to me. The Michigan GOP has been radical for awhile, and I'd imagine someone like Paul is far more appealing than the more traditional republicans listed in the poll. Plus we've had a weird Michigan/Kentucky connection going on for decades; many people from Kentucky move to Michigan, and vice versa.

Paul has been watching his dad's campaign up close for years. He'll probably be the best grassroots candidate and will have a solid online presence (something Rubio and the others won't have, IMO). I know some folks disagree, but I think Paul and Ted Cruz are different from the typical Dumb Republican we've seen run for president (Bachman, Cain, Santorum, Perry, etc). They're better speakers, smarter, and have accomplished shit in the eyes of the far right, without actually accomplishing anything IRL. Bachman often claimed to be the biggest Obamacare opponent, but she lost that fight and didn't accomplish anything. Paul and Cruz have moved senate republicans to the right, and Biden has specifically noted that both had a large impact on killing the gun control bill.

Won't matter in a general election of course, barring an economic crash. I expect both to be crushed if they receive the nomination.

double post (not my fault this place is slow!)

Photo of Pres Obama with students from Becoming A Man (BAM) program in the Oval, following today's Father's Day lunch

BMwVKj1CUAAUjrp.jpg:large

Well this hit me in the feels.

RedSwirl

So people talk about MSNBC versus FOX, but I haven't watched either one in years to be honest.

Most of the news I read is an amalgamation of USA Today, Washington Post, New York Times, and WSJ. The only news I watch on TV is CBS. I can't even tell what side of the spectrum that's on.

Link

The Autumn Wind
So people talk about MSNBC versus FOX, but I haven't watched either one in years to be honest.

Most of the news I read is an amalgamation of USA Today, Washington Post, New York Times, and WSJ. The only news I watch on TV is CBS. I can't even tell what side of the spectrum that's on.
I hate people that get all their news from one source. That's how echo chambers start. I'm like you; I get my info from all over, and even like to compare articles/coverage of things from multiple places.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I'm basically the same except NBC instead of CBS.

I hate people that get all their news from one source. That's how echo chambers start. I'm like you; I get my info from all over, and even like to compare articles/coverage of things from multiple places.
Stop reading news from me then, Zelda.
I get my news from you guys really. Twitter also. And I'm still pretty much ahead of anyone who watches nightly news.

This makes me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside.

"We are looking at the legalization of over 30 million illegal aliens," Bachmann said. "This is not an anti-immigrant speech. Do not walk away with that thought at all."

She went on to offer another warning about immigration, while clarifying that she was not trying to offend anyone. "The estimate is that the average illegal alien that comes into the United States -- the average age is 34 years old. The average education level is about the 10th grade," she said. "That's not to demean anyone who comes into the United States with a lack of education."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/14/michele-bachmann-jeb-bush_n_3441604.html?ref=topbar

MLP_WHY_WOULD_YOU_POST_THAT.gif

Why...?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Serious question: what is wrong with America's legal immigration system that so many people can't go through it?

It's long and complex and expensive. It'll take you the better part of 20 years to immigrate to the US depending on your situation.

KVhwlvV.jpg

The whole process is long overdue for an overhaul.

EDIT: Sorry I couldn't find a better version of the picture. You just need to know the whole process is needlessly complex and long. Not to mention expensive as all hell.

10th grade education sounds a little higher than the average American.

Let me put that this way. According to the NYC BOE the average student going into HS as a freshman is below where they should be in all levels.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah my fiance finally gets to file for actual citizenship end of this year. She's spent about 6 years here thus far and about $4000. It's silly.

Serious question: what is wrong with America's legal immigration system that so many people can't go through it?

Well . . . how many people should we be letting in? It is an interesting question.

We can't seem to create enough jobs for the people here so why invite more? And should these other countries get their own populations under control.

I think there should be some immigration but I don't think we should have open borders.

Chichikov

Well . . . how many people should we be letting in? It is an interesting question.

We can't seem to create enough jobs for the people here so why invite more? And should these other countries get their own populations under control.

I think there should be some immigration but I don't think we should have open borders.
The economy is a bit more complicated than number of jobs vs. number of people.

I can tell you in the tech industry, the US doesn't produce enough talented developers to fill the jobs that are needed.
It literally forces companies to open developer centers abroad.

And more broadly, the current economic system we have pretty much demand population growth, and we're not fucking enough, and you also seem to forget that every worker is also a consumer, they create more demand that help the economy.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'm a huge fan of Bill Maher, but this was a dick move:

In a recent stand-up performance, Bill Maher made a crack about Trig Palin, Sarah Palin’s special needs child. He got heard—first by a conservative writer, and then by Sarah Palin herself.

Ron Futrell, a former sportscaster and contributor for Breitbart, says Maher referred to Palin’s youngest child Trig as “retarded.”

http://www.mediaite.com/online/cons...-palin-hopes-kids-kick-mahers-white-wimpy-as/

But...I don't think this response from Palin reads the way she originally wanted it to:

palin1-300x162.png

We kinda do have the jobs except that it hurts the bottom line and our agriculture and food costs.

Plus, the service workers, cleaning ladies and whatnot. A huge "underground" economy.

relaxor

what?
The economy is a bit more complicated than number of jobs vs. number of people.

I can tell you in the tech industry, the US doesn't produce enough talented developers to fill the jobs that are needed.
It literally forces companies to open developer centers abroad.

Yeah it's the same in aerospace, particularly engineering. Even during the Recession there haven't been enough workers to fill the available jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom