• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novid

Banned
First off, I wish to apologize for my outbursts recently. I been going through a lot for a couple of months (the move to Baltimore, issues with family, thesis statement for masters, job issues concerning Hollywood etc) and the stress got overwhelming.

One question about this Snowden business. Where is His Certifications? How come the NSA/CIA has such a low bar for entry for IT Jobs? As far as I know you need Network+, A+ MCSE and CISCO certs to even be NEAR those type of Government servers. If Booz/Allen hired the dude without any Certifications, we are in some serious trouble.

Tamanon

Banned
First off, I wish to apologize for my outbursts recently. I been going through a lot for a couple of months (the move to Baltimore, issues with family, thesis statement for masters, job issues concerning Hollywood etc) and the stress got overwhelming.

One question about this Snowden business. Where is His Certifications? How come the NSA/CIA has such a low bar for entry for IT Jobs? As far as I know you need Network+, A+ MCSE and CISCO certs to even be NEAR those type of Government servers. If Booz/Allen hired the dude without any Certifications, we are in some serious trouble.

Was it confirmed he didn't have certs? Honestly, shouldn't have even been let in the door at a contractor without 'em, especially with no degree. It's all really odd.

Novid

Banned
Was it confirmed he didn't have certs? Honestly, shouldn't have even been let in the door at a contractor without 'em, especially with no degree. It's all really odd.

Which makes it all the more bewildering to me. My degree is in IT - I still cant go anywhere without certs regardless. He has a GED with No Certs and he's able to get into the CIA first as security but then as IT? then gets moved to NSA with very little background check on his education? WTF is going on?

I don't want to say i smell a rat...

Hige

OMG, one of the guys at the House Judiciary Committee on immigration and border security is a sheriff from Arizona who threatened to deport his Mexican ex-lover and was apparently a fox news regular. You can't make this stuff up. That article I linked also says he slept over at a state representative's house after receiving $1.7 million to fight border violence. Some soap opera shit in Arizona.

Fox News announced on Thursday that Sarah Palin will rejoin the network as a paid contributor. The Drudge Report was first to break the news.

Fox News previously hired Palin as a contributor but did not renew her contract earlier this year. When she was hired in 2010, she reportedly signed a $1 million-a-year contract with the network.

According to a Fox News press release, Palin will contribute to the network's daytime and primetime programming and Fox Business Network. She will first appear on Monday's "Fox & Friends." The date coincides with the launch of CNN's new morning show "New Day," which was created by the network's new president and morning show aficionado, Jeff Zucker.

sarahpalin2.gif

Link

The Autumn Wind
OMG, one of the guys at the House Judiciary Committee on immigration and border security is a sheriff from Arizona who threatened to deport his Mexican ex-lover and was apparently a fox news regular. You can't make this stuff up. That article I linked also says he slept over at a state representative's house after receiving $1.7 million to fight border violence. Some soap opera shit in Arizona.
And yet the guy won re-election by a landslide. Tells you all you need to know about Arizona and what hypocrites Republicans are.

EDIT - As for the Sarah Palin thing, no comment.

AntoneM

And yet the guy won re-election by a landslide. Tells you all you need to know about Arizona and what hypocrites Republicans are.

EDIT - As for the Sarah Palin thing, no comment.
Not that AZ Republicans aren't a shit-show. But a county of 400k people in a state of 6 million doesn't tell you all you need to know about AZ.

Yeah, that is not the way it works with the hardcore hackers. I don't know about that guy but I've dealt with some hardcore hackers that have done national security work and they can be hired based on their talent & skills not on some certificates of training. They are often high-school drop-outs, college drop-outs, that don't deal well with such rigid structures and instead just love learn about things on their own and explore them. Think about it . . . these people who break from the norms of accepted procedure to find flaws & exploits . . . you don't want people who are doing 'what they are supposed to do' . . you want people are doing what they are NOT supposed to do.

But again, I have no idea if any of that applies to Snowden.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah, that is not the way it works with the hardcore hackers. I don't know about that guy but I've dealt with some hardcore hackers that have done national security work and they can be hired based on their talent & skills not on some certificates of training. They are often high-school drop-outs, college drop-outs, that don't deal well with such rigid structures and instead just love learn about things on their own and explore them. Think about it . . . these people who break from the norms of accepted procedure to find flaws & exploits . . . you don't want people who are doing 'what they are supposed to do' . . you want people are doing what they are NOT supposed to do.

For a normal security company, I can definitely see that. I would imagine that would go against the requirements for a top clearance and access to the NSA though, where freelance stuff like that would actually be seen as a detriment.

Gotchaye

For a normal security company, I can definitely see that. I would imagine that would go against the requirements for a top clearance and access to the NSA though, where freelance stuff like that would actually be seen as a detriment.

Their recruiters claim that a lack of certification or a history of legally gray hacking isn't a problem. They're pretty desperate for talent.

gcubed

I had a TS SCI clearance for a defense contractor and had no certificates. Pieces of paper rarely matter if you have the knowledge

Tamanon

Banned
I had a TS SCI clearance for a defense contractor and had no certificates. Pieces of paper rarely matter if you have the knowledge

How did you get the job, if you don't mind me asking? It seems the kinda stuff that would do so on the security side is the kind of stuff that *should* burn you on the clearance side.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Not that AZ Republicans aren't a shit-show. But a county of 400k people in a state of 6 million doesn't tell you all you need to know about AZ.
Third largest county in the state, and it's a large enough sample size. Not to mention this is hardly the only dumbfuckery out of the state. I speak from experience, being in Florida, but Arizona is stiff competition. Probably worse at this point, politically speaking.

gcubed

How did you get the job, if you don't mind me asking? It seems the kinda stuff that would do so on the security side is the kind of stuff that *should* burn you on the clearance side.

Had an internal person who I worked with previously recommend me. I wasn't straight out of college (2 years or so). Did the interview and got the job. I was more network based security and not hardcore security though.

Tamanon

Banned
Had an internal person who I worked with previously recommend me. I wasn't straight out of college (2 years or so). Did the interview and got the job. I was more network based security and not hardcore security though.

Ah, so you had a degree also. That would make more sense. Thanks for the insight!

Given how the makeup of the insurgency has shaped up, I'm fairly ambivalent on efforts to topple Assad. So are most Syrians, it seems.

I'm 100% pro ousting Assad, he can't stay. I'm worried about what comes after but we have only ourselves to blame for that. We've let this turn out the way it did.

I'm not in favor of going in guns a blazing but the assad staying in power retards any progress in that region. I am worried with hezbollah's resent calls along with the news egyptian government is pretty much consenting to Jihad.

AntoneM

Third largest county in the state, and it's a large enough sample size. Not to mention this is hardly the only dumbfuckery out of the state. I speak from experience, being in Florida, but Arizona is stiff competition. Probably worse at this point, politically speaking.
So I can then use AZ's 9th district (340,000 VOTERS) to characterize the whole state since they voted an openly bisexual Democrat to congress.

Which AZ is the "real" AZ?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Was this posted? Republican legislator says ladybrains want free stuffs:

"As I listen to the debate today and earlier debate on this bill, I can't help but think of a title of a book, Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus. And it's a book about the fact that men sort of think one way in their own brain, in their own world. And women think another way in their brain and in their own world. And it really talks about the way that men and women can do a better job at communicating.

"Because if you listen to the debate today, in my mind -- a man's mind -- I hear really two fundamental issues. From the other side of the aisle, I hear the conversation being about 'free. This is free, we need to take it, and it's free. And we need to do it now.' And that's the fundamental message that my brain receives. Now, my brain, being a man's brain, sort of thinks differently, because I say, 'Well, it's not -- if it's free, is it really free? Because I say, in my brain, there's a cost to this.'"

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/...-why-women-don-t-understand-healthcare-debate

Link

The Autumn Wind
So I can then use AZ's 9th district (340,000 VOTERS) to characterize the whole state since they voted an openly bisexual Democrat to congress.

Which AZ is the "real" AZ?
The state's overall track record speaks for itself.

remist

I'm 100% pro ousting Assad, he can't stay. I'm worried about what comes after but we have only ourselves to blame for that. We've let this turn out the way it did.

I'm not in favor of going in guns a blazing but the assad staying in power retards any progress in that region. I am worried with hezbollah's resent calls along with the news egyptian government is pretty much consenting to Jihad.

If he won a UN run election, would you still be 100% pro ousting of Assad? I'd say that the rebel's fear of such an election and the regimes willingness points to his chances being pretty good. What kind progress would be made after his ouster? Many of the rebel groups have made it clear that democracy is not their goal and whether native Syrians support them is of minor importance.

If the ultimate goal is to reduce human suffering in the region, I don't understand how you can support the rebels or think it is a good idea for the west to meddle in the Syrian people's affairs.

Chichikov

Building secure software is very different than hacking, and while it's true that some organizations hire the latter to do the former, in my experience, it's almost never works well (not because hackers are evil, it's just because they're not really qualified for the job).
That's not to say that pen testing isn't important, but that work is pretty much testers' work, and there's a reason why you don't usually let people in QA do system architecture.
Also, it's not really that difficult of a skill to learn, a good developer will learn most that there is to learn about it in a few months (for a given technology stack/system) it's just agonizingly boring.

That being said, it's 100% true that software companies hire people without certification and formal education, but that's mostly a reflection of how poor of a way a CS degree is to teach someone how to code.

@jamiedupree 12m
Dems lead GOP 11-0 after 3 innings in annual Congressional Baseball game
Damn you Jackie Robinson!

Sorry.

@dccc
Ouch. RT @frankthorpNBC: Final score at the Congressional Baseball Game: Dems 22 - GOP 0. Rep Cedric Richmond (D-LA) pitched the shutout.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
@dccc
Ouch. RT @frankthorpNBC: Final score at the Congressional Baseball Game: Dems 22 - GOP 0. Rep Cedric Richmond (D-LA) pitched the shutout.

Damn, looks like the Dems brought in a ringer! I kid, that's still pretty crazy that the guy is so good compared to everyone else.

IE Israel wants him gone so you do too.

Assad is no threat to the United States, and he is a preferable leader to any Islamic fundamentalist that will take his place after a US intervention. We have 60 years worth of evidence that US intervention and coups in the Middle East do not end well, and this will not be any different.

I don't want to arm the rebels, I don't want to install a no fly zone, I don't want to send them non-military aide. It's not our fight.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Uh. This will only result in more death and a prolonged conflict. McCain is right, gradual escalation doesn't work.

Either do nothing or take out Assad's air and ground forces from the sky and let the rebels go from there. We have no interests there and trickling out funding to rebels is only going to make this worse in the long run.

IE Israel wants him gone so you do too.

Assad is no threat to the United States, and he is a preferable leader to any Islamic fundamentalist that will take his place after a US intervention. We have 60 years worth of evidence that US intervention and coups in the Middle East do not end well, and this will not be any different.

I don't want to arm the rebels, I don't want to install a no fly zone, I don't want to send them non-military aide. It's not our fight.

Has anyone in the media even talked about why Assad needs to go? The only question I've heard is how much we'll be aiding the rebels, never if.

I mean, we got along fine with them when we were sending people to torture for us, right? How bad can they be?

Link

The Autumn Wind
So do you guys remember on The Office, after Jim and Pam got together, the show kept faking us out by throwing standard tv couple issues at them, but then it would always turn out to be nothing? That's how I'm starting to feel with all these "scandals."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom