• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotchaye

Heard the farm bill got defeated. What was it again?

Farm subsidies, basically. At one point it was food stamps + farm subsidies, and that seemed passable. Republicans put in an amendment that made food stamps harder to get on a party line vote. Most Democrats objected to that. Some Republicans objected to the farm subsidies. Boehner couldn't get all of his party in line and the bill failed to pass.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Hey, Ghaleon's a mod too! Congrats ese!

Good to see some more poligaffers being represented in the staff.

Jackson50

I wish Cyan wasn't a moderator. He doesn't post here as much anymore. :(
Moderator? lol I thought they finally banned him. lol
Heard the farm bill got defeated. What was it again?
A melange of different policies ranging from conservation and commodity programs to nutrition and international trade. The primary hiccup is that the House bill reduced appropriations for SNAP by $20 billion. The reduction was too steep for most Democrats, yet too meager for many Republicans. So it failed miserably. Notably, the Senate passed a farm bill on June 10 by a 66-27 margin.
Ugh, I know. My eyes.

THANKS OBAMA
OMG. I can't even see to typerlydoms snod sojln eiazcf,

holy fuck.

it's about time i read some good news this week, sheeeeit

It would be both sad and hilarious if the House goes to the Dems but they simultaneously lose the Senate. My head would explode
Whatever national environment allows Democrats to win the House (with its supreme gerrymander) would probably be enough for them to hold onto the Senate.

That would be ridiculously ironic though

Whoa. Whoa. WHOA. I come here to see an awesome new layout AND there are new moderators? Congrats, Ghaleon! Love you! And to Gotchaye!
Hey, Ghaleon's a mod too! Congrats ese!

Good to see some more poligaffers being represented in the staff.

But they're all men! #WhereAreTheWomen

Link

The Autumn Wind
But they're all men! #WhereAreTheWomen

Don't worry, they've got binders full of us. Any day now!
romney-laughing.gif

K-19

Banned
I've been following this thread for few weeks and I must say that your country's political system is thick as hell. I was just wondering about its accessiblity: does the majority of the american citizens understand how it really works?

In a way I find that pretty interesting as a foreigner, in France we live it such a different way.

Grakl

I've been following this thread for few weeks and I must say that your country's political system is thick as hell. I was just wondering about its accessiblity: does the majority of the american citizens understand how it really works?
Nope.

Tamanon

Banned

In a way I find that pretty interesting as a foreigner, in France we live it such a different way.

Honestly the political system itself isn't THAT complicated, it's all the shit that goes on around the actual rules. Most people don't understand either, but that's more for a lack of trying.

Like, if people understood the power structure of the Presidency versus the Congress, 50% of complaints would disappear.

Chichikov

Sir, we have already established what kind of democracy we are, now we are simply negotiating the price.
Too true, nicely put too.

As already said, it's really not that complicated, if you ask specific questions, I'm certain people will be more than happy to explain things.
I'm sure I can take a break from talking about HOW MUCH ERIC HOLDER FUCKING SUCKS.

Like, if people understood the power structure of the Presidency versus the Congress, 50% of complaints would disappear.
True, but they'll be replaced by other, better complaints.

Wilsongt

CatholicGate

Obama Catholic schools flap: Did he really call for end of religious schools?

Did President Obama just step into political trouble on a new issue, or didn’t he?

Some critics say that remarks made by Mr. Obama on a visit to Northern Ireland this week amount to an assault on schools run by religious sects – including the Catholic schools that are prominent in the US as well as in Northern Ireland.

But, at a time when the president is under fire on multiple fronts, he also has defenders on this one – including some within the Roman Catholic Church.

Here’s what Obama said in remarks about building and maintaining peace across sectarian lines:

“There are still wounds [in Northern Ireland] that haven’t healed, and communities where tensions and mistrust hangs in the air.” A little later he added: “If towns remain divided – if Catholics have their schools and buildings, and Protestants have theirs – if we can’t see ourselves in one another, if fear or resentment are allowed to harden, that encourages division. It discourages cooperation.”

Since he uttered those words in Belfast on June 17, they’ve spawned resentment and opposition in some quarters – including among some US conservatives and Catholics.

“Catholic education is not the source of ‘division’ in Northern Ireland, nor are they a source of division anywhere in the world,” wrote Brian Burch, president of the group Catholic Vote. “Catholic schools educate children without regard for race, class, sex, origin, or even religious faith. The work of Catholic education is a response to the Gospel call to serve, not divide.”

The tiff over Obama’s words comes as the president has been struggling in public-opinion polls lately against a succession of problems, from controversies involving the Internal Revenue Service and citizen privacy to questions about his leadership on issues like health care reform and the conflict in Syria.

Mr. Burch has called on Catholics to sign a petition seeking an apology from Obama. The petition also refers to a “growing pattern of hostility on the part of this administration toward Catholics,” mentioning as examples aspects of the president’s health care reform law and a Justice Department argument to the Supreme Court against a religious exemption to employment discrimination laws.

But Bill Donahue, president of the Catholic League, has a different take on Obama’s remarks. He says critics have taken the words wildly out of context – if they’ve paid attention to the words at all.

“There are plenty of reasons to be critical of President Obama’s policies as they relate to the Catholic Church, and I have not been shy in stating them. But the reaction on the part of conservatives, many of whom are Catholic, over his speech in Ireland, is simply insane,” Mr. Donahue said in a Friday blog post.

“Obama was not condemning Catholic schools – he was condemning segregation,” Donahue wrote. “He was calling attention to the fact that where social divisions exist, the prospects for social harmony are dimmed. How can anyone reasonable disagree with this observation?”

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Oh, by the by. I was planning on purchasing a buttload of books from Amazon or Barnes, was wondering if y'all had any suggestions?

Jackson50

Oh, by the by. I was planning on purchasing a buttload of books from Amazon or Barnes, was wondering if y'all had any suggestions?
Why Civil Resistance Works: The Strategic Logic of Nonviolent Conflict.

A trenchant argument for the strategic superiority of nonviolent resistance
Fixed so this post can make it out if the House alive.
NcbjEW8.gif

The most risible facet of the Farm Bill debate is that while the House bill cuts SNAP appropriations, it effectively increases crop insurance for large agricultural companies. Unlike the Senate bill, the crop insurance does not include an income eligibility limit nor a cap on the amount of land that can be indemnified. It's apparent who would benefit from these provisions.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Context: Northern Ireland.

I mean, really. Have we really reached the point where Obama can say something incredibly obvious about N Ireland--golly, there's a divide between Catholics and Protestants? in Ireland? no fucking way--and somehow engender mass freakouts among conservatives? Really?

Gotta find something to hate.

Well hold onto your butts, because in 2014 Gomez will be back with a vengeance:

You see, losing is actually winning!

They just don't get it...Markey's "record" to shoot at? Mass. voters will almost certainly agree with everything he votes for in the senate!

Also since when is a campaign rally featuring the president a sign of desperation? It's a special election, the only possible way for Markey to lose is if dems don't realize an election is happening or if they stay home. Getting them fired up is a good idea, and what better way to do it than bring in the big guns.

If Gomez loses the right's spin will be that Gomez could have won if the GOP big money donors rallied to him. And articles like this ensure republicans continue to attempt to replicate Scott Brown. That's fine with me: let them waste their money. It seems like there are far better states out there to run these republican "outsiders" than Mass.

(I think Gomez could make it to congress one day given his life story, but not the senate. But clearly he needs some seasoning.)

They just don't get it...Markey's "record" to shoot at? Mass. voters will almost certainly agree with everything he votes for in the senate!

Also since when is a campaign rally featuring the president a sign of desperation? It's a special election, the only possible way for Markey to lose is if dems don't realize an election is happening or if they stay home. Getting them fired up is a good idea, and what better way to do it than bring in the big guns.

If Gomez loses the right's spin will be that Gomez could have won if the GOP big money donors rallied to him. And articles like this ensure republicans continue to attempt to replicate Scott Brown. That's fine with me: let them waste their money. It seems like there are far better states out there to run these republican "outsiders" than Mass.

(I think Gomez could make it to congress one day given his life story, but not the senate. But clearly he needs some seasoning.)
Massachusetts Senate races will continue to be fool's gold for Republicans, much like Pennsylvania, Michigan and Minnesota at the presidential level.

KingK

I have a question regarding the whole NSA story. Am I correct in assuming that all of the information the government is collecting is already being held by private companies (Google, Verizon, etc.)?

I mean, I remember reading a story a few years ago about how Google had detailed records of everybody's search history. The way I understand the story, the NSA simply receives the data these companies are holding and compiles it into a central database. So, if that is correct, I'd like to see someone who's upset over the NSA's actions explain why it's ok for private companies to have access to all of this information, and why it becomes not ok when the government gets it.

I'm not necessarily ok with the NSA spying programs, I'm not sure where I fall yet. I feel like there's been a lot of confusing hyperbole and half-truths floating around the media with this story and I'm not quite sure how I feel about it because I'm not sure I have a full grasp of what's going on.

Tamanon

Banned
I have a question regarding the whole NSA story. Am I correct in assuming that all of the information the government is collecting is already being held by private companies (Google, Verizon, etc.)?

I mean, I remember reading a story a few years ago about how Google had detailed records of everybody's search history. The way I understand the story, the NSA simply receives the data these companies are holding and compiles it into a central database. So, if that is correct, I'd like to see someone who's upset over the NSA's actions explain why it's ok for private companies to have access to all of this information, and why it becomes not ok when the government gets it.

I'm not necessarily ok with the NSA spying programs, I'm not sure where I fall yet. I feel like there's been a lot of confusing hyperbole and half-truths floating around the media with this story and I'm not quite sure how I feel about it because I'm not sure I have a full grasp of what's going on.

Yes it's currently held by the private companies. The argument is that private companies keep that information and tell you about it, or it's a condition for using the service.

It'd be a hell of a thing. I can guarantee now that he's said it that the insurance companies will start pouring all sorts of money into the race.

It's one of his Keys to the City ideas. He's been supporting in a while, but it hadn't got this much attention until now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom