• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
If the money simply goes to fund the blue states and lowers their max 10% contribution, that is pretty fucking hilarious.

Not for the unfortunate people, of course, but just the general idiocy of the governor or legislature of the state.

Still pretty sure some of it goes to set up the federal exchanges because otherwise they wouldn't need to exist if the states did it all on their own ala Cali.

Actually, I'm a little confused about that. I mean, I've read about it a lot, but I guess I haven't thought about it too much. States have the ability to create their own exchanges, but if they don't, the federal government steps in, right?

Diablos

Ughhhh, Lindsey Graham. He's so incredibly petty.

edit: Any fellow Pennsylvania Gaffers know how our state will be handling the exchanges and medicaid?

Ughhhh, Lindsey Graham. He's so incredibly petty.

edit: Any fellow Pennsylvania Gaffers know how our state will be handling the exchanges and medicaid?

It won't.

This time you are allowed to start diablossing.

NOT PARTICIPATING (14 states)

Alabama*: Gov. Robert Bentley (R)
Georgia*: Gov. Nathan Deal (R)
Idaho*: Gov. C.L. Otter (R)
Iowa*: Gov. Terry Branstad (R)
Louisiana*: Gov. Bobby Jindal (R)
Maine*: Gov. Paul LePage (R)
Mississippi*: Gov. Phil Bryant (R)
North Carolina: Gov. Pat McCrory (R)
Oklahoma: Gov. Mary Fallin (R)
Pennsylvania*: Gov. Tom Corbett (R)
South Carolina*: Gov. Nikki Haley (R)
South Dakota: Gov. Dennis Daugaard (R)
Texas*: Gov. Rick Perry (R)
Wisconsin*: Gov. Scott Walker (R)
LEANING TOWARD NOT PARTICIPATING (3 states)

Alaska*: Gov. Sean Parnell (R)

Nebraska*: Gov. Dave Heineman (R)
Wyoming*: Gov. Matt Mead (R)
LEANING TOWARD PARTICIPATING (2 states)

Kentucky: Gov. Steve Beshear (D
New York: Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D)
PARTICIPATING (25 states and the District of Columbia)

Arizona*: Gov. Jan Brewer (R)
Arkansas: Gov. Mike Beebe (D)
California: Gov. Jerry Brown (D)
Colorado*: Gov. John Hickenlooper (D)
Connecticut: Gov. Dannel Malloy (D)
Delaware: Gov. Jack Markell (D)
District of Columbia: D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray (D)
Florida*: Gov. Rick Scott (R)
Hawaii: Gov. Neil Abercrombie (D)
Illinois: Gov. Pat Quinn (D)
Maryland: Gov. Martin O'Malley (D
Massachusetts: Gov. Deval Patrick (D)
Michigan*: Gov. Rick Snyder (R)
Minnesota: Gov. Mark Dayton (D)
Missouri: Gov. Jay Nixon (D)
Montana: Gov.-elect Steve Bullock (D)
Nevada*: Gov. Brian Sandoval (R)
New Jersey: Gov. Chris Christie (R)
New Hampshire: Gov. Maggie Hassan (D)
New Mexico: Gov. Susana Martinez (R)
North Dakota*: Gov. Jack Dalrymple (R)
Ohio*: Gov. John Kasich (R
Oregon: Gov. John Kitzhaber (D)
Rhode Island: Gov. Lincoln Chaffee (I)
Vermont: Gov. Peter Shumlin (D)

edit: That's medicaid. Pa will default to feds for exchanges.

So there are no exchanges? Not even federal?

edited too late.

Feds will operate in Pa for exchanges and it rejected medicaid.

I don't know if anyone knows how the feds operation will look, yet. If someone has a link, that would be awesome. I haven't seen any pricing from the federal gov't.

Diablos

edited too late.

Feds will operate in Pa for exchanges and it rejected medicaid.

I don't know if anyone knows how the feds operation will look, yet. If someone has a link, that would be awesome. I haven't seen any pricing from the federal gov't.
Fuck.

So, if PA rejects medicaid then it just doesn't happen, period? No federal government magic tricks?

I know some people who are about to go on COBRA (>$400/mo) because they lost their job. Next year, if they are still unemployed, can they get on a federal exchange for regular health insurance since medicaid won't be available for them? Any and all advice will be appreciated, because I can actually advise these people and not just get info to keep me from Diablosing.

final-exchange-map.png

These are who will run the exchanges.

Diablos: http://www.newrepublic.com/article/...nce-options-looks-exchanges-will-have-plenty# Here seems to be some info.

Fuck.

So, if PA rejects medicaid then it just doesn't happen, period? No federal government magic tricks?

I know some people who are about to go on COBRA (>$400/mo) because they lost their job. Next year, can they get on a federal exchange for regular health insurance since medicaid won't be available for them? Any and all advice will be appreciated, because I can actually advise these people and not just get info to keep me from Diablosing.

If they reject the medicaid expansion, it means they have to handle the medicaid in their current budget. They can expand on their own (lol yeah right).

The big problem is those who won't qualify for medicaid but also won't get subsidized health care. Those people will get screwed hard. Obamacare originally had a forced medicaid expansion so it never dealt with people below the poverty line who wouldn't get medicaid since all of them were supposed to get medicaid. if you're in this spot, it's time to call your governor.

edit: Anyone should be able to buy from the federal exchanges. Just note that if you make too little, you don't get subsidies. The subsidies are supposed to be for those who didn't qualify for the medicaid expansion. If they still earn 133% of the poverty level, they'll get subsidies. I don't know how much in Pa since only Cali has listed its prices as far as I know and the Feds will be taking their time.

Diablos

Right, but what about the exchanges? If you have no job and try to sign up will they reject you?

Fucking Corbett. We have to get him out. If we get a Dem gov I hope he/she can issue executive orders to help low income folks with medicaid.

Right, but what about the exchanges? If you have no job and try to sign up will they reject you?

Fucking Corbett. We have to get him out. If we get a Dem gov I hope he/she can issue executive orders to help low income folks with medicaid.

Sorry, I keep editing because I post before I finish what I want to say.

Everyone can buy from the exchanges and no one can be rejected.

The only question is whether you get subsidized.

If you would have qualified for the medicaid expansion but don't qualify for medicaid without it, you can still buy from the exchanges. The bad part is you won't qualify for subsidies. That means if you make say 90% of the poverty level, you will pay more than someone who makes 200% of the poverty level.

The working poor will get screwed and screwed hard. They can't afford HI and won't qualify for medicaid.

Of course, your own state can budget it to cover these people of their own choice (I highly doubt this happens) and I can't speak on behalf of Pa alone. But that is how I believe it will be.

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong and please do so.

edit again: of course, these people will still use HI to an extent and it will cost more than giving them medicaid. That's the sad part about this. The states rejecting the expansion are basically telling its citizens to pay tax dollars for other states and then paying MORE for their own through inefficient governance. It's typical cutting your nose to spite your face.

He's polling like shit right now, so that's bodes well for whatever Dem candidate comes out as the nominee.

Diablos

Sorry, I keep editing because I post before I finish what I want to say.

Everyone can buy from the exchanges and no one can be rejected.

The only question is whether you get subsidized.

If you would have qualified for the medicaid expansion but don't qualify for medicaid without it, you can still buy from the exchanges. The bad part is you won't qualify for subsidies. That means if you make say 90% of the poverty level, you will pay more than someone who makes 200% of the poverty level.

The working poor will get screwed and screwed hard. They can't afford HI and won't qualify for medicaid.

Of course, your own state can budget it to cover these people of their own choice (I highly doubt this happens) and I can't speak on behalf of Pa alone. But that is how I believe it will be.

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong and please do so.

edit again: of course, these people will still use HI to an extent and it will cost more than giving them medicaid. That's the sad part about this. The states rejecting the expansion are basically telling its citizens to pay tax dollars for other states and then paying MORE for their own through inefficient governance. It's typical cutting your nose to spite your face.
Ridiculous.

Well, if nothing else I'm sure the exchanges for these folks will be less than COBRA which is $400-500 here per month. Yes. That much.

He's polling like shit right now, so that's bodes well for whatever Dem candidate comes out as the nominee.
We gotta get the state House and Senate back too. They all have to go.

I am expecting the worst from Corbett. He's gonna troll it up before he goes.

OR only a couple months before he gets the axe he'll totally deregulate alcohol and get a spike in approval which will help him in the election

Ridiculous.

Well, if nothing else I'm sure the exchanges for these folks will be less than COBRA which is $400-500 here per month. Yes. That much.

OR only a couple months before he gets the axe he'll totally deregulate alcohol and get a spike in approval which will help him in the election

Well, a 40 year old could get a silver plan for $276 in california without subsidies.

That will be higher in Pa because the federal exchanges will be pricier since they will cover some that didn't get medicaid.

But yeah, there's a good chance it will be lower than COBRA.

Diablos

Well, a 40 year old could get a silver plan for $276 in california without subsidies.

That will be higher in Pa because the federal exchanges will be pricier since they will cover some that didn't get medicaid.

But yeah, there's a good chance it will be lower than COBRA.
*facepalm*

Recent Kaiser article on progress of the federal exchanges:

"Nonetheless, CMS officials indicated that the navigators would be available by Oct. 1, when enrollment for 2014 plans begins, according to the GAO report.

Insurers that want to sell health coverage on the exchanges had to apply by May 3, and CMS, along with help from a contractor, expects to evaluate and certify those plans by July 31, according to the GAO report. Information about those plans is expected to be available on the exchange website by Sept. 15."

http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/sto...n-federal-health-exchange-implementation.aspx

Back from a 3 day ban only to be greeted with an entirely new interface. Woah. Maybe I should wade into the gaming forum more often...

Republicans in Pennsylvania can't win solely on party strength in statewide elections.

"Nonetheless, CMS officials indicated that the navigators would be available by Oct. 1, when enrollment for 2014 plans begins, according to the GAO report.

Insurers that want to sell health coverage on the exchanges had to apply by May 3, and CMS, along with help from a contractor, expects to evaluate and certify those plans by July 31, according to the GAO report. Information about those plans is expected to be available on the exchange website by Sept. 15."

http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/sto...n-federal-health-exchange-implementation.aspx

What are your general thoughts on the Medicaid expansion?

It won't.

This time you are allowed to start diablossing.

edit: That's medicaid. Pa will default to feds for exchanges.

I think the list is a little inaccurate because it seems to only take into account what the governor wants

Governor Jay Nixon (D-MO) wants to expand Medicaid, but the General Assembly won't allow it. I assume that's the case with a couple other Republican-majority legislature, but Democratic Governor states (probably Arkansas?)

Diablos

Go go go.

Can someone explain due process to me?
Shoppers waiting in line to purchase the latest incarnation of LeBron James’ signature shoe outside Atlanta were being harassed by a reported pickpocket until one patron decided to pull a gun out and shoot the as-yet unidentified man in what is being considered a move motivated by self-defense.

Witnesses told one man in line outside Wish, a clothing and shoe store on Moreland Avenue, pulled out a gun and shot the would-be robber.

The shooter then got back in line, according to Channel 2 Action News.

Police have not charged anyone and for now consider the shooting to be self-defense.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...elf-defense-while-waiting-line-215135252.html

So apparently Atlanta police think that the appropriate response to a pickpocket crime is the death penalty.

Does the constitution not say anything about a judge and jury deciding this?

Why is one able to enact the death penalty as a vigilante and thats ok?

Chichikov

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...elf-defense-while-waiting-line-215135252.html

So apparently Atlanta police think that the appropriate response to a pickpocket crime is the death penalty.

None of it would've happened is Popovich didn't take Duncan out at the end of regulation in game 6.

Link

The Autumn Wind

This is why Stand Your Ground is so fucking stupid. Everyone thinks they can shoot and kill anyone that's committing a crime or even just bothering them. And they get away with it under this ridiculous law.

The Yahoo writer is wrong. He misread the original story that he even links.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/crime-law/cops-man-fatally-shot-attempting-to-rob-group/nYR7p/

Channel 2 reported that a parking lot attendant had warned customers that a man had been attempting to pickpocket people in the area during the past week.

That is the only mention of a pickpocket man. It does not say this guy was pickpocketting or that it's the same man.

It says the man was trying to rob the people there. How? I don't know. The article gives no indication of the threat level the robber posed so I can't make a judgment call. Maybe he had a gun or knife or tire iron.

All I know is the yahoo article ain't right.

The Yahoo writer is wrong. He misread the original story that he even links.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/crime-law/cops-man-fatally-shot-attempting-to-rob-group/nYR7p/

That is the only mention of a pickpocket man. It does not say this guy was pickpocketting or that it's the same man.

It says the man was trying to rob the people there. How? I don't know. The article gives no indication of the threat level the robber posed so I can't make a judgment call. Maybe he had a gun or knife or tire iron.

All I know is the yahoo article ain't right.

The question still stands, how are laws that permit murder in response of minor crimes constitutional?

The question still stands, how are laws that permit murder in response of minor crimes constitutional?

They're not supposed to exist. The laws supposedly define as a reasonable expectation that your life in in danger, ASIK.

If the guy was a pickpocket and was shot, I'm sure the guy would have been arrested. He must have been threatening on some level.

If the robber had a gun and was threatening to use it, what then?

They're not supposed to exist. The laws supposedly define as a reasonable expectation that your life in in danger, ASIK.

If the guy was a pickpocket and was shot, I'm sure the guy would have been arrested. He must have been threatening on some level.

If the robber had a gun and was threatening to use it, what then?

How about situations where someone breaks in, and without indication of a weapon or threat they get shot?

Chichikov

so how much of snowden's leaks (if any) wound up being fabricated, anyway

(this includes greenwald's reporting on them)
Nothing of that leak has been proven to be fabricated.

But if you're looking for people who make shit up, the head of the NSA pretty much admitted he lied to congress.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
So I met Cyan tonight. What he says in real life is just as dry and witty as his poligaf posts.
Heh. True story: I lived less than two blocks from cyan for a year and we never had occasion to meet IRL :(

Always thought of Cyan to be more wet than dry.
Tigers are fuzzy. Hobbes says so himself.

Tangentially related: We went to the zoo yesterday and there was a three month old baby tiger. Yes, a baby tiger is as cute as you can imagine, then some :3

First opinion is out.

SCOTUSblog ‏@SCOTUSblog 24s

#SCOTUS limits employment discrimination claims. Fewer employees are supervisors that make employers liable for discrimination. 5-4.

Gotta protect those discrimat-job creators.

Eh, sounds like another "whatever, federalism" decision.

My general rule of thumb is that any 5-4 decision coming out of this court by the conservatives is most likely based on bullshit.

Edit: Affirmative action is alive.

SCOTUSblog ‏@SCOTUSblog now

#SCOTUS limits affirmative action in higher education but does not strike down Texas program. Case returned to lower court. 8-1.

It would have been very strange for them to strike it down after reaffirming it in the 2000s. I bet you the 1 was Thomas. Curious to see what the "limits" placed on AA are, I thought the old standard (race can be one factor among many, but no quotas) was pretty workable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom