• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

people on the right hate Pelosi with probably as much passion, but its for different reasons then Bachmann (she's not dumber then a box of rocks)

Hah, yeah I was about to respond that people on the right would probably say Pelosi or Biden. Pelosi for hatred equivalency, and Biden for them thinking he's dumber than a box of rocks. Then again Biden and them thinking he's dumber that dirt is probably more akin to us thinking (and knowing) Palin is. Bachmann has more to her. It's not just that she's dumb, it's that she's full of crazy conspiracies. I'm not sure there's a conspiracy theory nutjob on the left lurking about the house or senate.

Isn't this bad news? While I'm glad she's gone, this makes picking up her seat a lot harder. Defeating a crazy, scandal plagued congresswoman in a red district is a lot easier than defeating a non-crazy republican candidate with a clean slate.

pigeon

Banned
Isn't this bad news? While I'm glad she's gone, this makes picking up her seat a lot harder. Defeating a crazy, scandal plagued congresswoman in a red district is a lot easier than defeating a non-crazy republican candidate with a clean slate.

It's probably going to make that seat safer, but it also represents the continuing erosion of crazytown GOP Reps. One way or another, that seat will be going further to the left next year.

It slightly bothers me that people make fun of that statement. The underlying idea isn't wrong, it's just poorly worded.

Yeah but i think it's also about the flip nature of the response. Could you imagine the reaction on the right if Hillary Clinton had said that about Benghazi?

RDreamer

It probably balances out a little with the fact that it's easier to beat a no-name republican candidate than a big name nationally known candidate like Bachmann. It's easier sometimes to discredit someone if no one knows who they are to begin with.

people on the right hate Pelosi with probably as much passion, but its for different reasons then Bachmann (she's not dumber then a box of rocks)

Yeah I suppose Pelosi isn't too likable.

But if I were a woman, Pelosi would likely be a female role model for me. Bachmann, not so much.

Pelosi actually has a brain.

Calling the Internal Revenue Service's role in the implementation of the new federal health care law "chilling," Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) argued in a video posted online Wednesday that the only appropriate response to the controversy involving the agency's targeting of conservative groups is to repeal Obamacare.

Answering a question from a constituent as part of a weekly series conducted by his office, the junior Florida senator and potential 2016 aspirant said he intends to renew his focus on the repeal of the Affordable Care Act in the wake of the IRS scandal.

"So the only answer to this is to repeal Obamacare," Rubio said in response to an email from a man in Orlando, Fla. "It’s just one more reason why this law is going to be a disaster for our country. And in the months to come, I’m really going to focus on the issue of repealing Obamacare because in addition to the IRS’s role there is all sorts of other problems with regards to Obamacare that we need to answer."

Interesting.

pigeon

Banned
I know very little about New England, but for those who do, apparently Lincoln Chafee is about to emerge from his independent cocoon as a beautiful Democratic butterfly:

wapo said:
Rhode Island Gov. Lincoln Chafee (I) intends to run for reelection as a Democrat, according to two people familiar with his decision, a move that suggests that the first-term governor does not see a path to reelection as an independent.
Chafee, a former Republican senator, won the governorship in 2010 in a competitive three-way race. His prospects for a second term have looked dim, as polling shows his numbers are downright bad. Chafee’s made no secret about the fact that he has been considering switching to the Democratic Party. His decision signals that he believes his best chance for survival is competing in what is expected to be a competitive Democratic primary.
Chafee is expected to announce his decision shortly, possibly as soon as this week, the people familiar with his decision say.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...second-term-as-a-democrat/?wprss=rss_homepage

Guess he'll probably still lose the primary.

Bad news for whom? Obama? Damn.
I know very little about New England, but for those who do, apparently Lincoln Chafee is about to emerge from his independent cocoon as a beautiful Democratic butterfly:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...second-term-as-a-democrat/?wprss=rss_homepage

Guess he'll probably still lose the primary.
Chafee has had a long and interesting career.

gcubed

Makes sense. He can protect his right flank while working on immigration. So far Rubio has played this quite impressively.

i still think that, unless a culling happens, Rubio has no shot in a general. Christie is most definitely playing the "fuck the primaries, i need to win the general election" game, but that would require him to make it through the primaries. Christie could win PA and NJ if he doesn't get bit by anything big... that'd make him tough to beat.

i still think that, unless a culling happens, Rubio has no shot in a general. Christie is most definitely playing the "fuck the primaries, i need to win the general election" game, but that would require him to make it through the primaries. Christie could win PA and NJ if he doesn't get bit by anything big... that'd make him tough to beat.

Nj will not vote for Christie in the general election.

Two most important factors in congressional elections are money and name recognition. Unless the GOP nominates someone well known, graves should have a clear advantage here.

Bachman probably solely won last time on her name alone.

Wilsongt

Cross-posted here and the boy scout thread.

Not surprising, but still disgusting.

Some Churches Say They'll Cut Ties to Boy Scouts Following Its Lifting Ban on Gay Scouts

A number of churches that previously sponsored Boy Scout troops have said they plan to sever ties to the organization following its decision to lift a longtime national ban on admitting openly gay Scouts. Openly gay adults will still be barred from leadership roles in the organization.

"I think I can say with pretty strong accuracy that the vast majority of Southern Baptists are very disappointed in the latest change in policy ... deeply disappointed," Frank Page, president of the Southern Baptist Convention's executive committee, told ABCNews.com.

Page said that the Southern Baptist Convention -- the largest Protestant denomination in the United States -- would be holding its national meeting in two weeks, after which it would likely recommend that its 47,000 U.S. churches pull away from the Boy Scouts of America. From there, it is up to each individual church to decide what to do, said Page.

About 70 percent of all local Boy Scout troops are supported by religious groups, according to the Boy Scouts of America, and the Southern Baptist Convention currently sponsors "hundreds of troops, probably thousands," Page said.

"We don't hate people," said Page. "We don't hate anybody, but we just felt like there's got to be some objective standard, and we felt they were maintaining that until recently."

The Mormon church, which sponsors most of the troops, has endorsed allowing gay Scouts. The Roman Catholic Church, the second-largest troop sponsor, has said it was going to use the time before the new policy takes effect on Jan. 1 to think about how and if it would affect the church.

The National Jewish Committee on Scouting, the Episcopal Church, the United Church of Christ, the Unitarian Universalist Association and the Metropolitan Community Church all urged full repeal of the longtime ban.

There is more of the article behind the link.

Evangelicals against gay boy scouts. A number of other, somewhat more reasonable, denominations support repealing the ban. Not shocking at all.

Also the "don't hate" line is right up there with "I totally have gay friends".

Cross-posted here and the boy scout thread.

Not surprising, but still disgusting.

Some Churches Say They'll Cut Ties to Boy Scouts Following Its Lifting Ban on Gay Scouts

There is more of the article behind the link.

Evangelicals against gay boy scouts. A number of other, somewhat more reasonable, denominations support repealing the ban. Not shocking at all.

Also the "don't hate" line is right up there with "I totally have gay friends".

I think that people just don't know what to do. The religion says hate the gays. But if gays are just ordinary good people who just happen to be attracted to the same sex . . . then is the religion then bogus? So to some degree, I think the gay fight is an existential fight for some people with their religion.

Ironically, the more they fight it, they more they will obliterate their own religion. They should just accept it and start working on those rationalizations. They already have them for a zillion other things like divorce and what-not. But hey . . . at this point, I'm happy to have more crazy anti-gay marriage people because the war has been lost at this point and the more they keep pushing this issue, the more they discredit their stupid theocratic views.

Wilsongt

I think that people just don't know what to do. The religion says hate the gays. But if gays are just ordinary good people who just happen to be attracted to the same sex . . . then is the religion then bogus? So to some degree, I think the gay fight is an existential fight for some people with their religion.

Ironically, the more they fight it, they more they will obliterate their own religion. They should just accept it and start working on those rationalizations. They already have them for a zillion other things like divorce and what-not. But hey . . . at this point, I'm happy to have more crazy anti-gay marriage people because the war has been lost at this point and the more they keep pushing this issue, the more they discredit their stupid theocratic views.

Maybe not. Some people need something to believe in in order to feel "whole". However, people hide behind their religion as a way to continue to be ignorant and those people are either afraid of logic or just don't know how to think logically.

The religion doesn't say to hate the gays, their leaders do.

Sure, there's some stuff in the bible about about it, but they're all in OT books that are generally ignored by evangelicals otherwise.

People need to reject their religious leaders a bit more often.

Maybe not. Some people need something to believe in in order to feel "whole". However, people hide behind their religion as a way to continue to be ignorant and those people are either afraid of logic or just don't know how to think logically.

But for better or worse, the gay thing is one of the red line rules many churches seem to have adopted. Never mind that Jesus say absolutely not a single word about gays and he was extremely critical of divorce.

So they are being force to either admit that the church was wrong and gays are fine or that gays are still evil and we are going through evil liberal persecution of the church.

In the long run, people will deal with gays and various churches will quietly change their position (many already have). But some people may just quit church when they realize it is just a man-made thing. And few stragglers will become Westboro Baptist Church types.

You said similar things about Romney early on. Just want to remind you ;)

I could be wrong here, but it seems like a clear pattern with Rubio. He spent two years voting against everything imaginable in the Senate, and it worked: Limbaugh, Mark Levin, Lauryn Ingram, and all the other big right wing voices aren't telling their audiences that he's a RINO or questioning his conservatism. During the Gang of 8 rollout he was getting a lot of feint support from them too. Now things are changing as the bill comes into focus more and the right is slowly boiling, but Rubio has yet to be injured by any of it.

I could be wrong here, but it seems like a clear pattern with Rubio. He spent two years voting against everything imaginable in the Senate, and it worked: Limbaugh, Mark Levin, Lauryn Ingram, and all the other big right wing voices aren't telling their audiences that he's a RINO or questioning his conservatism. During the Gang of 8 rollout he was getting a lot of feint support from them too. Now things are changing as the bill comes into focus more and the right is slowly boiling, but Rubio has yet to be injured by any of it.

He hasn't been injured by it because nobody cares about him. Nobody will care until there is an election.

Unless a politician does something illegal or cheats on their spouse (sometimes...), no one will care until election time.

He hasn't been injured by it because nobody cares about him. Nobody will care until there is an election.

Unless a politician does something illegal or cheats on their spouse (sometimes...), no one will care until election time.

And yet the right has completely dismantled Chris Christie and Jeb Bush. Rubio is actively doing something "worse" than either of them, yet hasn't been attacked fully.

gcubed

Bush's name dismantled him years ago. Christie nobody knows.

he has one of the highest national favorable ratings of any presidential candidate in a while (this isn't THAT good of news, as John McCain was up there once). The problem for him is that he has higher favorables from democrats and independents then he does republicans

he has one of the highest national favorable ratings of any presidential candidate in a while (this isn't THAT good of news, as John McCain was up there once). The problem for him is that he has higher favorables from democrats and independents then he does republicans

Republicans believe Christie handed Obama the election.

gcubed

Republicans believe Christie handed Obama the election.

well yes, thats certainly an issue for him having to go through the republican primary. I think its also good for any democrat as he is the only one that, at this point still a ways out, is even competitive

Gotchaye

I think this misses that the existential fight is the whole point. There are a significant number of American Christians for whom the appeal of Christianity is that it's the right side in some epic struggle of good and evil. Importantly, this is prior to anything to do with what each side actually stands for. So "objective Christian morals" end up getting defined relative to the sorts of causes championed by atheists and heretic liberal Christians. This has been going on since at least the 70s, when the modern religious right organized around defending racial segregation as religious liberty.

They can't say "maybe liberals were right about this" without obliterating their own religion. What's going to happen is that old conservatives will die lamenting all the moral decay they see while young conservatives will have neat explanations for how those old conservatives weren't really conservatives or Christians at all. There's no changing minds here. There can be no admission of error. This is where a lot of atheists come from - lots of de-conversion stories involve being taught how 'biblical' Christianity is either all true or all false.

Chichikov

I think this misses that the existential fight is the whole point. There are a significant number of American Christians for whom the appeal of Christianity is that it's the right side in some epic struggle of good and evil. Importantly, this is prior to anything to do with what each side actually stands for. So "objective Christian morals" end up getting defined relative to the sorts of causes championed by atheists and heretic liberal Christians. This has been going on since at least the 70s, when the modern religious right organized around defending racial segregation as religious liberty.

They can't say "maybe liberals were right about this" without obliterating their own religion. What's going to happen is that old conservatives will die lamenting all the moral decay they see while young conservatives will have neat explanations for how those old conservatives weren't really conservatives or Christians at all. There's no changing minds here. There can be no admission of error. This is where a lot of atheists come from - lots of de-conversion stories involve being taught how 'biblical' Christianity is either all true or all false.
Every religion and every denomination had changed their mind on significantly bigger issues than gay marriage.

The whole "we're infallible, we can't change our position anymore than we can edit the bible" is catholic sales pitch that isn't even true for them.

Every religion and every denomination had changed their mind on significantly bigger issues than gay marriage.

The whole "we're infallible, we can't change our position anymore than we can edit the bible" is catholic sales pitch that isn't even true for them.

We're not talking dogma so much as mindset.

If you are a black and white thinker, once you start to acknowlege grey the whole thing falls apart.

I can't figure out why they vote for him for governor.

Because Corzine left a really shitty taste in people's mouths. That and no good Democratic candidates in 09.

Baffles me too since a fair few people I talk to here don't like him.

i'll take that wager... again, barring anything crazy like a scandal

Alright. What shall we wager?

What a shame. They have the republican Bill Clinton (Christie) staring them right in the face.

Yeah right.

Gotchaye

I wasn't saying that conservative Christianity can't change over time - I actually described a mechanism by which I expect this to occur. I'm also not talking about the usual sorts of claims about having reliable access to objective truth and the awkwardness involved in deciding that objective truth is different now.

I'm saying that, for many US Christians, the way that "objective truth" is determined is by looking at what certain outsiders seem to be strongly for and then going the other way. The reason that being anti-gay (and anti-abortion, and, increasingly, anti- social welfare) is just that the only people who seem strongly pro-gay are identifiable as religious enemies. Modern conservative Christianity is dedicated to being opposed to what outsiders want, whatever beliefs that requires. That's what strikes me as novel about it.

When I said "They can't say "maybe liberals were right about this" without obliterating their own religion." I wasn't saying that changing their minds or coming to think they were wrong is taboo in itself. It's admitting that liberals were right that's a bridge too far.

Edit: Depictions of the Antichrist over the last maybe 50 years are useful here. What sort of starts as "the Antichrist will be a wolf in sheep's clothing", which is an acknowledgment that the Antichrist will be in disguise and will be saying things that aren't clearly evil, gives rise to a strategy of "shoot all sheep on sight" and later "things that look like sheep are probably evil". Probably anti-communism had something to do with the change. Now, a major political figure talking about helping the poor and working together with other nations will be suspected of being the Antichrist by virtue of advocating those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom