• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's like they refuse to address the elephant in the room of, "what about the presidents before or, hell, during the great depression?"

Anyone saying Obama is worse than Hoover is an idiot.

The funniest part to me is he keeps saying "it's the worst recovery since the Great Depession" without acknowledging it's also the worst recession since the Great Depression.

related, much?

Catching up on some political stories right now. here's another fun one:

Titled the “Grand Old Party for a Brand New Generation,” the report is sharply critical of the GOP on several fronts. The study slams some Republicans’ almost singular focus on downsizing Big Government and cutting taxes; candidates’ use of offensive, polarizing rhetoric; and the party’s belly-flop efforts at messaging and outreach, even as the report presents a way forward and, at times, strikes an optimistic tone.
In the report, the young Republican activists acknowledge their party has suffered significant damage in recent years. A sampling of the critique on:

Gay marriage: “On the ‘open-minded’ issue … [w]e will face serious difficulty so long as the issue of gay marriage remains on the table.”

Hispanics: “Latino voters … tend to think the GOP couldn’t care less about them.”

Perception of the party’s economic stance: “We’ve become the party that will pat you on your back when you make it, but won’t offer you a hand to help you get there.”

Big reason for the image problem: The “outrageous statements made by errant Republican voices.”

Words that up-for-grabs voters associate with the GOP: “The responses were brutal: closed-minded, racist, rigid, old-fashioned.”

“[The] Republican Party has won the youth vote before and can absolutely win it again,” the report says, pointing to presidents Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush who were competitive with that demographic. “But this will not occur without significant work to repair the damage done to the Republican brand among this age group over the last decade.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/06/gop-youth-vote-report-92119.html#ixzz2V7pJL7P8

LAWL

youth smarter than given credit.

Gotchaye

I want to see the whole thing to know if "errant Republican voices" include the voices of their presidential and vice presidential candidates.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
haha, stayed out of the way. Obama did almost nothing in 2009. I should have looked at the comments!

How do they have someone write articles for them but sound like a child in the comments?

Peter Ferrara is an idiot. I've written about him quite a few times. He's on Thom Hartmann's show quite frequently (I don't know why since he insults Thom almost every time he's on), and is one of the most petulant, immature right wingers I've seen in media (which is saying something). He gets called out all the time and still repeats the same shit every time he comes back.

Aaron

The only way that the GOP will win over younger voters is to basically shift to the left of the Democrats on just about every social issue.
Not really. I think it's the Republicans hammering issues that the youth mainly doesn't give two shits about. It's not that young people are generally pro-gay marriage. They just don't care. They don't care about abortion. They don't care about immigration. These issues end up as noise, while the GOP consistently screws issues that would encourage youth vote, like the college loan rates.

Personally, I think the GOP will continue to suckle at the teat of big business until that dries up, and any outreach will be very slapdash at best. I expect them to do worse than projected in 2014, and lose the presidency in 2016. Something, or more likely someone, will change the whole party around, and they'll be a different beast come 2020. Since the US is determined to keep a two party system, and even more won't let a new party replace either of the old ones.

Chichikov

Catching up on some political stories right now. here's another fun one:

LAWL

youth smarter than given credit.
xhqQGgo.jpg

Yeah, nothing appeal to the youth like the Margaret Thatcher look.
And for real GOP, no one ever won anything with Alex Smith.

Shit like this really bothers me because it all fails to recognize the obvious: The entire world is still recovering. If every other nation had recovered and we were still in bad shape then maybe they'd have an argument, but we're actually doing better than a lot of places, so the argument is utterly moot.

Drives me up the wall that people don't recognize this.

Listening to the debate over different student loan rate plans on the Diane Rehm show on NPR now... any opinions on the Republican plan vs. Obama's plan? The guests are saying that they aren't actually that different, except that the Republican plan has an interest rate cap, but the Obama plan doesn't... (and a few of the numbers are different, too)

Lautenburg is dead. Shit.
isn't booker gonna win in 2014?
Listening to the debate over different student loan rate plans on the Diane Rehm show on NPR now... any opinions on the Republican plan vs. Obama's plan? The guests are saying that they aren't actually that different, except that the Republican plan has an interest rate cap, but the Obama plan doesn't... (and a few of the numbers are different, too)
Republicans want higher rates

No assurance of a Booker win in 2014. It's very likely, but if Tom Kean Sr. is the guy who gets the seat, it's going to be a dog fight, and I would put Booker as the dog.

No assurance of a Booker win in 2014. It's very likely, but if Tom Kean Sr. is the guy who gets the seat, it's going to be a dog fight, and I would put Booker as the dog.

I figure New Jerseyians want to support Obama's agenda and if Booker runs on that he has a good shot.

What is the Kean's guys record? Is he a scott brown type where they put themselves out as moderate but vote like every other republican?

Who ever he puts up is gonna have to be on the record for votes (immigration reform for one) that will be used against them.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Is there no discussion on the Supreme Court decision today regarding DNA swabs?

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/w...m-arrestees/ydXPxGEPtmmYwo2B2n0wrK/story.html

A sharply divided Supreme Court on Monday said police can routinely take DNA from people they arrest, equating a DNA cheek swab to other common jailhouse procedures like fingerprinting.

Also, i was somewhat surprised by the alignment.

Kennedy wrote the decision, and was joined by Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas and Stephen Breyer. Scalia was joined in his dissent by Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan.

I think this is a good thing from a criminal justice point of view, but it has healthcare/privacy implications down the road and there don't seem to be any discussions of the safeguards put into place for this database.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/w...m-arrestees/ydXPxGEPtmmYwo2B2n0wrK/story.html

I think this is a good thing from a criminal justice point of view, but it has healthcare/privacy implications down the road and there don't seem to be any discussions of the safeguards put into place for this database.

I don't think its bad for quick checks to identify a person and check if they're wanted for something else but they shouldn't be kept like fingerprints in a database for any length of time without warrants and judicial oversight.. Its sad its easier to keep DNA than background checks for guns on files probably.

Worst president economically yet still has created more jobs than Bush already? Oh boy

A bit of an unfair comparison. Bush inherited an economy that suffered a mild recession, and was very close to full employment. Obama inherited an economy that required massive job creation.

Still, Obama shouldn't be credited too much. The Republicans are absolutely deserving of the title of economic terrorists; who have stolen food from the mouths of every single person who could be just a little bit better off if the US government merely did what it is supposed to do.

I'm shocked the Democrats can't message that short-run deficits in a recession are "good", that when the market gives government a sub-2% interest rate the market itself is demanding intervention. So I wouldn't give Obama a lot of plaudits, but there is literally no one who has advanced a comprehensive policy that approaches even a 1930s level understanding of economics.

I'm shocked the Democrats can't message that short-run deficits in a recession are "good", that when the market gives government a sub-2% interest rate the market itself is demanding intervention. So I wouldn't give Obama a lot of plaudits, but there is literally no one who has advanced a comprehensive policy that approaches even a 1930s level understanding of economics.

Republicans have made this impossible. Nobody will say deficits are good.

I remember in Bushs second term that deficits were good (remember Bush literally mailing people checks and saying go buy stuff?) in recessions were good and helped fill a gap. once obama became president they became the work of satan and were going to doom the US.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Not sure how I feel about the DNA decision, but I don't see how it's any different than tracking fingerprints.

pigeon

Banned

I'm always skeptical of any expansion of police power in an environment of institutionalized racism. This database is going to contain like 90% of all black American male DNA and maybe 5% of white males. What do you think that will do to accidental matches or false positives? Not to mention plants.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Not sure how I feel about the DNA decision, but I don't see how it's any different than tracking fingerprints.

Criminally, not very different. But DNA holds a lot more information about a person than a fingerprint does, and as time passes it can be exploited for healthcare and other things.

Do finger prints illustrate your genetic makeup, liklihood to develop a certain disease, etc? Call me a tinfoil card carrying conspiracy nut but I am much more uncomfortable with ones genetic makeup being used against them in unintended ways than fingerprints.

Criminally, not very different. But DNA holds a lot more information about a person than a fingerprint does, and as time passes it can be exploited for healthcare and other things.

Life insurance too. Though with the ACA, being able to use ones DNA against them for health plans, premiums, etc. becomes null and void.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I'm always skeptical of any expansion of police power in an environment of institutionalized racism. This database is going to contain like 90% of all black American male DNA and maybe 5% of white males. What do you think that will do to accidental matches or false positives? Not to mention plants.
Yeah I am kind of iffy on the DNA (and fingerprint, tbh) collection in and of itself, but it's made worse with the obvious bias in arrests to begin with.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

So it boils down to the slippery slope fallacy again? :/

If your DNA is used for something like genetic research or cloning or whatever without your consent, then we'll have that argument when we get there.

But this is just talking about tracking identifying information about an arrestee. I see nothing inherently illegal about that.

Republicans have made this impossible. Nobody will say deficits are good.

I remember in Bushs second term that deficits were good (remember Bush literally mailing people checks and saying go buy stuff?) in recessions were good and helped fill a gap. once obama became president they became the work of satan and were going to doom the US.

I can understand it's difficult, it certainly is. However, Democrats taking the GOP as winning every messaging war as fact without really even trying to reframe the debate is a victim mentality.

The opportunity cost of austerity, in this situation, exceeds the cost of additional interest on larger short-run deficits. You will end up being more in debt in the long-run cutting spending today, than you would be running up deficits. This is fact.

If you've got all the facts and you still can't make it work, better look at the messenger.

Yeah in 1972
Actually the GOP did impressive outreach work throughout W Bush's first term. Bush spoke with black church leaders, and the RNC also went to urban areas to sell conservatism. It payed dividends in 2004: Kerry won a huge amount of the black vote, but Bush won just enough to win Ohio and thus the presidency. Kerry would have won if he had performed closer to Obama's 2012 black vote performance in that state.

Obama has secured the black vote to the democrat party though, so it's too late. A large part of that is due to how ugly the GOP has been towards him, and the constant dog whistles they utilize. IMO things will get super ugly towards Hispanics as the immigration bill moves closer to reality (in the senate; it's probably DOA in the house).

AntoneM

I think I'm correct in that the R's plan has no locked in rates so you loan interest changes every year, but is capped to 8.5%. Obama's lock in the rate but makes no mention of a cap.

Actually the GOP did impressive outreach work throughout W Bush's first term. Bush spoke with black church leaders, and the RNC also went to urban areas to sell conservatism. It payed dividends in 2004: Kerry won a huge amount of the black vote, but Bush won just enough to win Ohio and thus the presidency. Kerry would have won if he had performed closer to Obama's 2012 black vote performance in that state.

Obama has secured the black vote to the democrat party though, so it's too late. A large part of that is due to how ugly the GOP has been towards him, and the constant dog whistles they utilize. IMO things will get super ugly towards Hispanics as the immigration bill moves closer to reality (in the senate; it's probably DOA in the house).

then audited the NAACP

AndyD

aka andydumi
I think I'm correct in that the R's plan has no locked in rates so you loan interest changes every year, but is capped to 8.5%. Obama's lock in the rate but makes no mention of a cap.

I also thought one changes current loans as well whereas the other leaves them alone. So if you are currently locked in at a nice low rate you can get screwed.

Cohn wrote a pretty angry piece in which he went off on Avik Roy. Bonus Twitter fight.

That twitter fight makes me angry because its shows how the US debate is completely missing the mark. The entire debate is shaped around how wealthy people (who can afford these things) will be affected rather than the people that will be helped and still need to be helped.

The problem isn't premiums but the health costs in general.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Cohn wrote a pretty angry piece in which he went off on Avik Roy. Bonus Twitter fight.

Cohn did a good job with his piece. Looks like it's turned into a three-way twitter fight.

That twitter fight makes me angry because its shows how the US debate is completely missing the mark. The entire debate is shaped around how wealthy people (who can afford these things) will be effected rather than the people that will be helped and still need to be helped.

This. 100x this.

One thing I find is that conservatives are really good at finding a small flaw or technicality and making that the issue (and liberals usually jump right in rightly or wrongly). And ignoring the larger issue which they'd most certainly lose at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom