• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's gonna appoint a republican and any democrat would appoint a democrat.
When Obama appointed Judd Gregg to the Cabinet there was an uproar over the possibility that New Hampshire Gov. John Lynch (D) was going to appoint a Democrat in his place, giving Democrats a 60 seat majority. To a point where Lynch had to promise he'd appoint a Republican.

But the shoe is on the other foot so no one gives a fuck, which is typical in American politics. Let Republicans work the system while Democrats play nice.

Slightly different case there, since it was someone actively giving up their seat as opposed to someone dying.
Same principle. I don't think Lautenberg would be very happy if he knew his replacement was a Republican.

The man just died for christ's sake, I don't think it's asking too much of Christie to show some respect for his service.

In the long term it won't matter much because Booker will just win the seat in his own right in November, but still.

Chichikov

They know how much you made from work, but there self-employed people, other income, etc.
Of course being self employed will require more work on your part, however -
1. most people aren't self employed.
2. even for the self employed, you shouldn't have to do anything beyond reporting your income to the government.

Same principle. I don't think Lautenberg would be very happy if he knew his replacement was a Republican.

The man just died for christ's sake, I don't think it's asking too much of Christie to show some respect for his service.

In the long term it won't matter much because Booker will just win the seat in his own right in November, but still.
Oh come on. There's no respect in politics. They didn't respect Daniel Inouye's wishes and he was a dedicated war veteran that died.

If Christie were to appoint a Democrat, his chances of winning the GOP presidential primary would be zero. He'll split the baby and appoint a moderate republican like Christie Todd-Whitman.

Ladies and gentlemen....

A must see video of the week.

http://live.wsj.com/video/opinion-d...4D.html#!C6D8BBCE-B405-4D3C-A381-4CA50BDD8D4D

The WSJ is now officially the onion.

If I still had a subscription, Id cancel it many times over.
Clicks . . . gets ad for a car . . . closes window.

The WSJ opinion page has always been a land of crazy and I've never bothered reading it unless I want to know the opinion of rich people who don't understand how most people live.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Flying out today to NYC to spend time with my brother. After that, the world's my oyster! Always looking for recommendations.

Depends on what you guys are into. The museums are a must though, especially the MET. It has a shark in a tank. If you like poetry hit up the Nuyorican, if you like comedy there are a handful of great clubs in the city to go to. Just don't use a car, take the subway while on Manhattan.

Visit B-Dubs and post a picture.

:lol If they want, but there's a lot more interesting stuff to do.

Ladies and gentlemen....

http://live.wsj.com/video/opinion-d...4D.html#!C6D8BBCE-B405-4D3C-A381-4CA50BDD8D4D

Wow, you weren't kidding. How can the Onion outdo that?

Clicks . . . gets ad for a car . . . closes window.

The WSJ opinion page has always been a land of crazy and I've never bothered reading it unless I want to know the opinion of rich people who don't understand how most people live.

Trust me, the car ad makes it even better. Keep watching.

Protip: The super rich WSJ editor describes herself as the average new yorker.

Oh come on. There's no respect in politics. They didn't respect Daniel Inouye's wishes and he was a dedicated war veteran that died.

If Christie were to appoint a Democrat, his chances of winning the GOP presidential primary would be zero. He'll split the baby and appoint a moderate republican like Christie Todd-Whitman.
I'd say Christie's chances of winning the GOP presidential primary are already zero.

obama_christie_%20ap_photo_Charles_Dharapak.jpg

Maddow talking up Christie Nominating booker. lol

I don't think Christie is dead in the republican primary, I really think people are going to be placated into voting for a winnable candidate. It always happens.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I don't think Christie is dead in the republican primary, I really think people are going to be placated into voting for a winnable candidate. It always happens.

If Christie nominates Booker, shit I don't know what I'll say. I'll be shocked that's for sure.

I think Christie's apparent friendship with Obama is going to be a bridge too far for most GOP primary voters. It doesn't matter how effective his leadership was during Sandy, in their eyes he may as well have been frolicking arm-in-arm with Satan in a gay pride parade.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Ladies and gentlemen....

For Heir Platypotamus, the WSJ is basically arguing that bike lanes are symbolic of totalitarian regimes. And Platy's been here long enough to realize that that's not an exaggeration. Cliff notes via Kos:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/06/03/1213450/-Bike-totalitarians-are-coming-to-get-you

Dude Abides

Banned
If Christie nominates Booker, shit I don't know what I'll say. I'll be shocked that's for sure.

Not gonna happen
I think Christie's apparent friendship with Obama is going to be a bridge too far for most GOP primary voters. It doesn't matter how effective his leadership was during Sandy, in their eyes he may as well have been frolicking arm-in-arm with Satan in a gay pride parade.

And romney's flip flops? Saying he was pro-choice, pro universal health care, etc. Voters have short term memories and forgive if they feel they'll win.

Yeah the video will be brought up but if the establishment wants him you'll see him tear apart his opponents. The mistake he won't make is kowtowing to the base like romney did.

Since when does "showing respect for his service" equal "replacing him with a democrat?" Christie is the governor, he'll choose who he wants, and then the people of NJ will ultimately choose who they want in November (2013 or 2014? I keep reading confusing reports).

This. The nutty right-wing talkers always go on about their favorite nut-ball like Perry, Santorum, newt, Huckabee, etc. But in the end, the GOP has picked relatively moderate people like Bush (who at least initially ran as a moderate), McCain, and Romney.

Ted Cruz . . . not going to be nominated. Rand Paul . . . not going to be nominated.

This. The nutty right-wing talkers always go on about their favorite nut-ball like Perry, Santorum, newt, Huckabee, etc. But in the end, the GOP has picked relatively moderate people like Bush (who at least initially ran as a moderate), McCain, and Romney.

Ted Cruz . . . not going to be nominated. Rand Paul . . . not going to be nominated.

my favorite thing is when liberal attacks work in GOP primaries see the Bain attack by newt

Time heals all wounds.

The GOP has to find some normal person to run. They can't nominate a tea party nut-bag. They know that.

Of course I generally think that there is no way you can know anything this far in advance. And I still think that. But that said . . . I just can't see how the GOP can win in 2016 unless the economy implodes. That is their only hope. Their candidates are clowns, their appeal is to a shrinking base, and they just have NO POSITIVE AGENDA. Killing Obamacare and cancelling programs is just not a positive agenda.

Tamanon

Banned
If immigration reform passes, we might see them try to solidify a movement behind Rubio again. I don't think the water thing is a killer for him.

Of course being self employed will require more work on your part, however -
1. most people aren't self employed.
2. even for the self employed, you shouldn't have to do anything beyond reporting your income to the government.

You should have seen the self employed fishermen here in Louisiana during the BP oil spill. If you will remember, BP set up a fund to pay out money to people who had their livelihoods destroyed by the spill. Basically, it was going to be based off 3-5 years of tax returns, but all the fishermen under reported their income. They claimed $30,000 income to the government when it was more like $50,000. And some screwed themselves when BP was paying out.

Time heals all wounds.

The GOP has to find some normal person to run. They can't nominate a tea party nut-bag. They know that.
Having a cordial relationship with Obama probably wouldn't matter in a 2020 or 2024 primary, sure. But the 2016 primaries will happen while Obama is still president. I'm not convinced.

The right's hatred for him - and all associated with him - will not die until he leaves office. And probably a few years after. Then in ten years opportunistic Republicans will wash his balls and claim his endorsement until he gives a rousing speech endorsing the Democratic nominee.

Gotchaye

I'd have been really tempted to say this going into the 2012 primary, and I'd have been wrong, but it seems to me that, eventually, the party will be sufficiently radicalized that a crazy person gets nominated. This has happened before - Goldwater came from a similar place.

This really did come close to happening in 2012, too, and Romney felt enough pressure to take on a crazy VP candidate. I think Paul Ryan might have a shot.

I also just have a really hard time figuring out which moderate is going to be positioned to do nearly as well as Romney, McCain, or Bush. He was a governor who ran for the 2008 nomination who had a long, long time to lay the groundwork for his 2012 run. McCain had been a major figure in Washington for a very long time and was at one point pretty widely respected. Bush was a Bush.

Of arguably sane, prominent people, who do we have? Chris Christie, Jeb Bush, and Marco Rubio? I really do think Christie is toxic; current governors are either crazy or unelectable, and the Republicans will only nominate people who haven't had to govern recently or who were crazy while governing. Rubio is much less clearly sane than the others and is very dependent on immigration reform playing out just right. Bush is still a Bush. I guess I'd say that he's the most likely, but I think Paul Ryan or a crazy governor could give him a run for his money.

I'd have been really tempted to say this going into the 2012 primary, and I'd have been wrong, but it seems to me that, eventually, the party will be sufficiently radicalized that a crazy person gets nominated. This has happened before - Goldwater came from a similar place.

This really did come close to happening in 2012, too, and Romney felt enough pressure to take on a crazy VP candidate. I think Paul Ryan might have a shot.

I also just have a really hard time figuring out which moderate is going to be positioned to do nearly as well as Romney, McCain, or Bush. He was a governor who ran for the 2008 nomination who had a long, long time to lay the groundwork for his 2012 run. McCain had been a major figure in Washington for a very long time and was at one point pretty widely respected. Bush was a Bush.

Of arguably sane, prominent people, who do we have? Chris Christie, Jeb Bush, and Marco Rubio? I really do think Christie is toxic; current governors are either crazy or unelectable, and the Republicans will only nominate people who haven't had to govern recently or who were crazy while governing. Rubio is much less clearly sane than the others and is very dependent on immigration reform playing out just right. Bush is still a Bush. I guess I'd say that he's the most likely, but I think Paul Ryan or a crazy governor could give him a run for his money.

Could be Romney again.

But I agree . . . their bench is weak and most of the people that get discussed are too nuts.

120v

it's most likely going to be rubio or paul ryan. unless a dark horse candidate pops up (john thune, whats-her-name new mexico governer, et al)

i'd love it to be rand paul or somebody for lulz but recent history shows they usually nominate down the middle. or the relative middle anyway

lj167

I hope they pick the most conservative candidate out there so that this "our candidate lost because he wasn't conservative enough" idea will finally die.

Who am I kidding, they'll blame media bias and retcon that he was a liberal all along.

Of arguably sane, prominent people, who do we have? Chris Christie, Jeb Bush, and Marco Rubio? I really do think Christie is toxic;

If you look close enough, Chris Christie has accomplished basically nothing of note as governor of NJ and, in fact, has several fuck ups on his resume.

Some prior commentary on this:

CharlieDigital said:
Chris Christie is a fuck-nut for cancelling the ARC tunnel project which was shovel-ready, would have brought a lot of jobs to the region, and also improved the transportation options into and out of NYC for decades and would have paid for itself over time.

He is also an ass-hat for giving out a huge tax credit for the Xanadu project (yeah, just what New Jersey needs -- another fucking mall. Oh, and it looks like a giant stack of shipping containers...) while cutting state funding for education and property tax relief for seniors (we have insane property tax rates here) while refusing to raise taxes on the wealthiest earners in the state....

Fuck Christie.

Edit: this abomination:

XANADU-articleLarge.jpg

Sirpopopop said:
Xanadu is a boondoggle that wasn't just limited to Chris Christie. It's been around ever since Bruce Ratner made his intentions known back in 04/05 that he was leaving NJ for Brooklyn. It's probably been around since before that time period. It's the brain child of Penn State booster (I mean that in the worst way possible) & NJ Dem (who doesn't live in NJ) George Zoffinger.

If you want to attack Christie, you should attack him for the following:

- Scuttling the ARC without a viable backup plan.
- Halfway Prison House scandal.
- The boondoggle in Atlantic City known as the Revel.
- 9.8% unemployment, while touting a Jersey come back.

CharlieDigital said:
Cancelled the ARC tunnel which would have generated revenue for decades, created thousands of jobs, injected cash into the local economy after the recession in 2008, and eased congestion but poured millions in tax breaks to the Xanadu mega-mall-stack-of-shipping-containers project....

Let property tax breaks for seniors expire because he wouldn't raise taxes on the wealthy...

Incompetence lost NJ hundreds of millions of dollars in the Race to the Top education program because his staff filled out forms incorrectly.

I can't get behind that type of leadership.

For the second time, what can bring congress together into a bipartisan orgy?

ME ME ME ME ME.

This time, the entitled brats want their non-stop flights to continue. Last time they worked together it was to make sure their non-stop flights werent delayed.
Over 100 members of Congress have asked U.S. regulators to allow American Airlines (AAMRQ.PK) and US Airways Group (LCC.N) to keep all their airport slots at Reagan National Airport outside Washington D.C. if the companies' planned merger is approved.

Representatives Mike Michaud, a Maine Democrat; John Duncan, a Tennessee Republican; and 104 bipartisan colleagues argued to Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood and Attorney General Eric Holder that requiring divestiture of slots would mean fewer flights to smaller cities like Bangor and Portland, Maine.

"Other airlines lack the necessary connectivity out of Reagan National and would be more likely to transfer any divested slots to larger cities and more lucrative routes," the lawmakers wrote in the letter, which was dated May 28.

The companies have been lobbying the Transportation Department and Justice Department's Antitrust Division, both of which must approve the transaction, to allow the deal to advance with no asset sales.

Reagan National is used regularly by many members of Congress to fly to and from their home districts.

Michaud lives in East Millinocket, Maine, about 65 miles north of Bangor, which is served by direct US Airways flights from Reagan National.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013...ines-usairways-congress-idUSBRE94R0ZN20130528

Jeff Sessions desperately trying to sink the immigration bill

gty_sessions_130603_wg.jpg

If you've been paying attention to the immigration debate in Congress, then you've probably noticed Jeff Sessions.

It would be hard to find a more persistent and vocal foe of the bipartisan Senate immigration bill than the Alabama Republican. But so far, Sessions has appeared to be more of a lone wolf rather than a man who's on the cusp of rallying a large coalition to stymie the plan.

Sessions offered 15 amendments to the bill last month, the most of which would have gutted its core proposals. (Only one of Sessions' minor amendments was adopted without being changed). Several times a day his office also circulated materials from law enforcement groups like the ICE union and conservative pundits like Michelle Malkin and Erick Erickson blasting the plan. Sessions himself railed (and railed, and railed...) against the proposal during committee hearings, claiming it would hurt American workers and violate the rule of law.

Once the bill moves to the Senate floor in the next two weeks, Sessions will certainly amplify his efforts to defeat it, and key anti-immigration reform foes are betting on him winning the debate.

"I believe this bill allows more people into the country than we can absorb economically," Sessions told ABC News. "I believe this bill does not increase lawfulness in the system in the degree that needs to be done."

But his opponents detect more sinister motives. To undermine his arguments, they point to studies that show that liberalizing immigration laws could boost the nation's GDP while having a negligible impact on the labor market for native-born Americans.

Instead, they accuse Sessions of stretching the facts to play to the fears of poor and lower-middle class voters in Alabama who worry that a wave of immigrants could hurt them economically.

"He is playing to a segment of Alabama society that is scared," said Helen Hamilton Rivas, an immigrant-rights advocate who has lived in Alabama since 1980. "Fear drives a lot of the anti-immigrant stuff. Fear and ignorance."

Immigrant advocates like Sharry also like to refer to the Alabamian by his full name -- Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III -- to conjure up an image of a Confederate general leading the charge.

"We can no longer overtly be tough on African-Americans, but we can overtly be tough on Latinos because we can hide behind the rule of law argument," is how Sharry summed up Sessions' immigration views.

Of course, Sessions vehemently denies that he holds racist or xenophobic views or that any such views inform his opinions on immigration.

"I don't appreciate it if someone says that, 'you are not kind and you're mean-spirited and you don't like immigrants.' Because I do favor immigration," he said. "We've got to ask some fundamental questions. A lot of people are concerned about this. And I intend to make sure that as best I can that these issues are debated openly."

Trust me, the car ad makes it even better. Keep watching.

Protip: The super rich WSJ editor describes herself as the average new yorker.

Click again . . . this time I get a Chevron ad.

WTF is with that old bat? How can anyone get so worked up over bicycles?

The GOP goes insane over bicycles. WTF is wrong with them? They are just bicycles. Get over it.

Bike agenda spins cities toward U.N. control, Maes warns
POSTED: 08/04/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Republican gubernatorial candidate Dan Maes is warning voters that Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper's policies, particularly his efforts to boost bike riding, are "converting Denver into a United Nations community."

"This is all very well-disguised, but it will be exposed,"
Maes told about 50 supporters who showed up at a campaign rally last week in Centennial.

Maes said in a later interview that he once thought the mayor's efforts to promote cycling and other environmental initiatives were harmless and well-meaning. Now he realizes "that's exactly the attitude they want you to have."

"This is bigger than it looks like on the surface, and it could threaten our personal freedoms," Maes said.

He added: "These aren't just warm, fuzzy ideas from the mayor. These are very specific strategies that are dictated to us by this United Nations program that mayors have signed on to."
http://www.denverpost.com/election2010/ci_15673894

No! They are just fucking bicycles! Get your fucking heads screwed on straight.

Eh. I like that they're stopping them from freeloading but I'd rather not continue to push people to employer insurance as it traps them. I know medicare sucks and this will probably help people but we should be expanding public health care.

When you work for Wal-Mart, you're already trapped.

Having a cordial relationship with Obama probably wouldn't matter in a 2020 or 2024 primary, sure. But the 2016 primaries will happen while Obama is still president. I'm not convinced.

The right's hatred for him - and all associated with him - will not die until he leaves office. And probably a few years after. Then in ten years opportunistic Republicans will wash his balls and claim his endorsement until he gives a rousing speech endorsing the Democratic nominee.

And I'm sure Obama will heap tons of praise on Christie, quickly dooming him.

Gotchaye

I think Ryan checks too many boxes for him to not be a major player going forward. Rand Paul is an inferior substitute and I think his current success in polling is a bubble. Republicans are concerned about young voters - Ryan looks really young. Republicans are concerned with not being the "stupid party" - Ryan's got his wonk routine down. Republicans don't want to talk about social issues so much - Ryan cares a lot more about economics but has a sufficiently conservative record on social issues that he doesn't need to defend it against attacks from the right. He's got name recognition and at one point had a great approval rating. A little bit of good PR distancing him from Romney and he can get it all back, and he'll get along much better with the establishment than other people who are similarly crazy.

Karakand

It's not "no IRS"; the idea is that a simpler tax code leaves less room for the sorts of ambiguities that require discretion on the part of IRS employees. It's hard for the IRS to give undue scrutiny to particular groups if the only thing it's doing is comparing your W2 to the amount of money you sent in.

Basically, you resolve all the difficulties surrounding trying to tax people with weird sources of income and large entities like corporations by just not taxing them. Instead you collect all your taxes from income that can be much more straightforwardly checked on. Wages, mostly.

The thing is, even if we set aside the preposterous idea that criteria for tax exempt status have anything substantive to do with the individual and c-corp federal tax regimes (especially ones for which donations received are not tax deductible to the donor, like a 501(c)4), and ignore the fact that Title 26 § 1.501(c)(4)-1 is a simple tax code, unless you completely cripple an IRS successor agency's ability to react to tax-avoiding behavior in a manner faster than the labored pace of Congress, determinations will have to be made about what constitutes wage income because of tax-avoiding innovation.

Republicans tend to have a very dependable strategy of nominating the next guy in line, at least in recent memory. Nearly every GOP nominee since 1960 has been an establishment republican: a vice president or someone else on a clear "next in line" hierarchy. Ford was an obvious choice. Reagan, despite what republicans argue today, was a clear establishment candidate who came up short in 1976 before taking the nomination four years later. Then his VP won, and after him Mr. Establishment himself, Bob Dole.

The only nominee that doesn't fit is Goldwater. Goldwater because he was a fringe candidate who beat out establishment choices. He moved the party to the very far right, and scared the shit out of moderate republicans. There's a story about Jackie Robinson being troubled by the hate he overheard and saw at the 1964 convention, much of which was aimed at Kennedy.

The last two primaries were basically fought over the board that Bush left republicans. McCain, the next in line. Romney, Santorum, Gulianni, Bachman, Rick Perry, all of them were products of the Bush era in one way or another. But I think 2012 closed the chapter on Bush's legacy, and thus 2016 will feature the next crop of candidates. Under normal circumstances Santorum would be the choice, the obvious next in line. But instead I think we'll get a bunch of "new" faces attempting to remodel the republican party as Reagan and W Bush once did. Christie, Paul, Cruz, Bob McDonnell, Rubio, etc.

Rand Paul and Ted Cruz aren't establishment guys, and could trigger the 1964 redux the party probably needs in order to come back to reality. Both are senators yet both are clearly more radical than their republican senate colleagues, both are more libertarian than establishment republicans, and both have no interest in moderation. Paul may be making some friends within the establishment (he's campaign for McConnell) but he's far more extreme than John McCain on a variety of issues.

Both are also going to have a lot of money. Paul should be able to get some of his father's support/money, and he has studied his father's online model. Meanwhile Cruz will be bankrolled by Texas money and the grassroots. Ultimately I think this will boil down to Christie and Rubio trying to moderate (to a degree), while Cruz and Paul pull the party to the far right.

Nearly three-quarters of the political groups subjected to extra tax inspection during a recent IRS scandal were not identifiably opponents of the White House, officials have revealed.

Republicans have called for a special prosecutor to investigate what they call "attacks on American democracy" after it emerged that rightwing groups were singled out for special treatment by the Inland Revenue Service.

But in testimony before Congress, two senior civil servants brought in to clean up after the affair gave evidence that suggests the reality may have been more complex than a simple case of political bias.

The IRS office in Cincinnati which decides whether to exempt such groups from income tax singled out 72 of them for scrutiny because they were openly affiliated with the Tea Party movement, together with 24 others whose names included associated labels such as "patriot".

To qualify for tax exempt status such groups have to show they are not directly backing a political candidate but they are allowed to campaign on general "civic issues".

However a further 226 other political groups were also placed in the same review whose affiliations were not immediately apparent from their name alone, which is often the case among liberal campaign groups. It remains unknown how many of these were in fact Democrat-leaning groups, partly because individual names cannot be publicly released under IRS confidentiality laws.

The IRS did reveal there had been an explosion in groups of all political persuasion seeking to qualify for this type of tax exemption after a relaxation in campaign finance rules meant this would also allow them to keep the identity of their donors secret. In total 3,357 applications were made in 2012 compared with 1,735 in 2010 before the law changed.

Democrats on the committee seized on the new data and said it revealed the hidden story behind the IRS scandal – that political parties were exploiting the tax code to hide their donors.

"There isn't a single person up here [on this committee] who doesn't understand what is going on here and what it says about the hidden nature of political donations," said Marcy Kaptur of Ohio. "This is what demands serious attention by the IRS."

Kaptur praised "some smart people in the IRS" for "doing their job" and trying to use overt political affiliations to screen out non-profits that might be fund-raising groups in disguise, although she said there was insufficient clarity in the law about what classed as political activity.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/irs-political-bias-hearing-2013-6#ixzz2VDsrl3lM

but but but Obama thugs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom