• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not an interview:

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/rand-paul-wikipedia-rachel-maddow-99155.html

Paul's response doesn't even make sense. I think he thinks he's being accused of plagiarizing the movie itself which would explain his confused reaction and claiming he gave credit to the screenwriters.

He's completely unaware he plagiarized a synopsis of the movie from another source. For this reason, I fully believe he didn't do shit but someone copied it for him.

I think it's more likely that Rand knows his supporters, and most voters in his state, will hear his explanation and leave things there. He's trying to make the accusation of plagiarism absurd in and of itself. I don't think that will work nationally, but it gets him out of trouble for now.

No way he doesn't know what's going on. No way someone on his staff wasn't slapped silly. Someone got lazy and assumed people wouldn't be paying attention to a low-key speech. I'm actually shocked this was found. I'm more shocked that Rachel is giving it this much attention--it's more of a novelty than anything--but whatever.

Edit:

The authors reveal the source who told Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, the majority leader, that Mr. Romney had not paid any taxes in 10 years: Jon M. Huntsman Sr., the father of Mr. Romney’s early rival in the Republican primaries.

We can finally confirm the most obvious rumor in the history of politics.

Gotchaye

Beyond being odd to use Gattaca as a talking point in a speech... it's just odd in that Herman Cain sort of way. His speech should be judged on its own merits first and foremost, and the Gattaca thing is neither here nor there really. Why should he owe anyone an explanation for referencing and borrowing heavily from wikipedia in his speech beyond it being a noted 'huh ok' moment.

Because he didn't reference Wikipedia. That's the whole issue. He stole someone else's writing and passed it off as his own speech. "Wikipedia summarizes Gattaca as..." would have sufficed.

Now, that's not something I think Paul ought to take much blame for. It's not like he wrote the speech and it's a hard thing to catch unless you're really looking for it. Some speechwriter passed off Wikipedia as his or her own work and handed it off to Paul, who read it. But he should still acknowledge that he played a role in this instance of plagiarism and apologize for letting it happen on his watch, and probably the speechwriter should be fired (if things happened as I described, and especially given that this doesn't seem to be the only instance). Not admitting that anything problematic happened is a lot more disturbing than that this happened.

Edit: And either Paul is aware of how he's misconstruing the objection or he's a complete idiot. You don't have to be very intelligent to think that you should watch the five minute tv segment where someone accused you of plagiarism before you respond to the accusation.

Wilsongt

Today's news in the "no shit" category: Don't look unless you want to see a terrible picture of Karl Rove.

Conservative groups driving GOP agenda

WASHINGTON (AP) — Virtually unknown outside Washington, a coalition of hardline conservative groups is fighting to seize control of the Republican agenda.

Tea party allies like the Club for Growth, FreedomWorks and Heritage Action for America showed their might by insisting that the GOP embrace the government shutdown that hurt the nation's economy and the party's reputation.

Now emboldened, these groups are warning that their aggressive agenda-pushing tactics aren't over — and they're threatening retribution against Republicans who stand in their way.

"They refuse to learn," Chris Chocola, a former Indiana congressman who leads the Club for Growth, says of lawmakers who buck the will of right-leaning groups. He predicts that his group will support primary challengers to more than a dozen Republican incumbents seeking re-election next fall.

Mainstream GOP groups — such as Karl Rove's American Crossroads or the party's formal campaign committees — question their more conservative counterparts' role, fed up by their outsized influence in shaping the party's current agenda.

For decades, interest groups like the National Rifle Association have shaped debates on single issues. But Republicans suggest that not since the Christian Coalition of the 1990s have outside forces played such a sweeping, integral role in guiding Republican priorities as the tea party-led fiscal conservatives have in the ongoing budget debate.

"You have a small group in Congress that has become the surrender caucus," argues Illinois Rep. Adam Kinzinger. "They've surrendered their voting card to the wishes of these outside groups."

Such divisions on display between the Republican Party's pragmatic and ideological wings — and their affiliated outside groups — carry huge risk for the GOP heading into the 2014 midterm congressional elections. Republicans will seek to win power in the Senate and preserve their narrow House majority next fall.

But primaries that leave eventual nominees battered and broke for the general election could hamper that goal.

Nevertheless, tea party-aligned groups already are spending millions of dollars calling on compromise-minded Republican lawmakers from New Hampshire to Idaho to embrace more aggressive tactics against President Barack Obama's agenda.

This is their message as Congress wrestles with health care implementation, considers immigration reform and gets ready for new rounds of debt talks: Republicans who work with the Democratic president do so at their peril.

It appears that no Republican is too large for these groups.

The Senate Conservatives Fund — founded by tea party hero and former South Carolina Sen. Jim DeMint — has launched television ads against Republican leaders, including Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, who helped craft the recent budget compromise that ended the shutdown. It also has criticized Sen. Jeff Flake of Arizona and Sen. Jonny Isakson of Georgia.

The Club for Growth also is targeting Oregon Rep. Greg Walden, despite his role as leader of the campaign committee charged with preserving the Republican House majority. The group already has launched a website entitled, "Primary My Congressman," and so far identified 10 potential campaigns to unseat Republican incumbents.

That group and others also are spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to support a challenge against longtime Republican Sen. Thad Cochran, of Mississippi, in hopes of persuading him to retire. And the Tea Party Patriots is going after Sen. John Cornyn of Texas, Sen. Mark Kirk of Illinois and Sen. Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire.

Behind the scenes, GOP campaign officials are urging donors to fund mainstream groups to counter the conservative outfits. These officials are doing so even as they question the right-flank's ultimate effectiveness, given that its groups, although vocal, typically have far less money compared with other organizations standing with Republicans from the establishment wing.

The most powerful Republican allies from the last election — mainstream Republican groups such as the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, American Crossroads and its sister organization Crossroads GPS — poured more than $212 million combined into the 2012 election. Combined, the Club for Growth, Heritage Action and the Senate Conservatives Fund spent $21 million.

National GOP officials are watching for signs of rifts among the right-leaning groups, which could dilute their power. The shutdown debate itself exposed at least one disagreement.

The Club for Growth, FreedomWorks and Heritage Action for America defiantly insisted that any deal to end the shutdown and raise the nation's debt ceiling must dismantle or delay Obama's health care law. Lawmakers who didn't stand them with them risked inviting primary challenges.

But some tea party allies like Americans for Prosperity, the group funded by conservative billionaires Charles and David Koch, opposed the tactics that led to the shutdown. Now that group is trying to move on, investing $2 million in a four-state ad campaign that hammers Democrats over the troubled health care law implementation.

"We're convinced that repealing Obamacare is long-term effort," AFP president Tim Phillips says, explaining why it didn't sign onto the right-flank's demands to defund the law as part of a budget compromise.

In a sign of another possible crack in the conservative coalition, a spokesman for Heritage Action for America says that in the near future, it likely will focus its health care criticism on Democrats, who stood together during the shutdown debate.

"There needs to be some breaks in that unity," says Heritage spokesman Dan Holler. "That may happen naturally, or it may need to be forced."

But Chocola said the Club for Growth wouldn't stop pressuring Republicans, particularly as congressional leaders begin to debate a new budget package.

Chocola wouldn't rule out another push to link such legislation to the president's health care law, but said his group might shift its strategy if major shifts to entitlement programs are included.

As the possibility of a shutdown loomed large in September, the network of GOP outside groups disagreed over strategy.

Crossroads officials briefed members of Congress on internal polling that showed the shutdown strategy deeply unpopular. Given that, the group and its fellow mainstream Republican allies largely stayed silent, fearing influential talk show radio hosts and aggressive conservative activists would brand them as heretics.

Meanwhile, conservative groups grew even more vocal in pressuring House and Senate Republicans to refuse to budge from tea party demands to defund "Obamacare" as part of any budget deal.

Eventually, House Speaker John Boehner broke with the right flank and endorsed the bipartisan plan to end the 16-day shutdown and raise the debt limit. And 87 Republicans in the House and 18 in the Senate supported it.

The damage to the GOP was severe: a Washington Post-ABC News poll found that 63 percent of Americans now have a negative view of the Republican Party, the worst rating for the GOP in almost three decades.

Welp. America had a good run.

Thank goodness this didn't happen.

Four years away from the Obama administration will serve as good insulation for Hillary's campaign, especially if Obama's popularity really starts to plummet.

I'd love to know more about Romney's veep selection, specifically whether or not Rob Portman's gay son played a significant factor in Romney passing on Portman. Even though Romney denied it, I'm convinced that it did.

Joe Molotov

The hard-right is able to manufacture conspiracy theories at an amazing pace.

It's easy because they're working from a template.

"[insert thing] happened because of Obama"

"[insert thing] was clearly faked, because of Obama"

"[insert thing] is the worst [insert thing] in the history of America, because of Obama"

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

Even after Mr. Obama named Mrs. Clinton as secretary of state, seemingly binding the wounds from their hard-fought 2008 primary campaign, the book says, he still could barely endure spending much time with the often-exhausting Bill Clinton. Mr. Obama rarely contacted his Democratic predecessor in the first years after taking office, but after the midterm losses for his party, the incumbent and his inner circle realized that they needed the still-popular Mr. Clinton.

When the two of them golfed together in September 2011, an effort aides hoped would bring them closer, they did not even finish 18 holes. Mr. Obama succinctly expressed his view of Mr. Clinton to an aide after coming off the course at Andrews Air Force Base. “Obama grimaced and replied, ‘I like him ... in doses,’ ” the authors write.

clinton-and-obama.jpeg

Link

The Autumn Wind
Is that real?

Very revealing on Republican women. Quite the Stockholm syndrome they have. Only 24% of Republican WOMEN think it would be better to have more women in Congress? I guess it is the patriarchal religious crap.
If my mother is anything to go by, I'm not surprised at all.

It called the tea partiers fiscal conservatives. They are not fiscal conservatives, they are anarchists who will fund anything that makes the population upset.

They are not fiscal conservatives, they are anti-tax. They'll spend money on their own medicare, on pointless wars, on social security . . . but they won't raise taxes to pay for it.

And then they'll complain about deficits. It is not exactly a coherent ideology. But some irrationally think that if they just cut aid to foreign countries and welfare to poor people then everything will balance out. But that is sheer fantasy.

Raleigh, N.C. – When PPP last polled the American electorate in early October, at the beginning of the shutdown, Republicans already trailed Democrats in the generic congressional ballot by five points, and their 29% approval rating was ten points lower than Congressional Democrats’. Now John Boehner and company are at 23%, with 72% disapproving of their job performance. That ten-point gulf between voters’ opinion of them and Democrats is now 17 points, as Congressional Democrats have remained in place, at 40-56, almost identical to their 39-56 standing three weeks ago.

Congress has sunk to a new low of 6%, with 87% disapproving. But though Americans despise the body as a whole, it remains much harder to get them to blame the individual representative they elected. 41% approve and 45% disapprove of the job their own congressperson is doing. Democrats (48-37) like their representative much better than Republicans (41-41) or independents (31-59) do.

Similarly, despite blame for Congress’ conduct being placed mostly at Republicans’ feet, Democrats have not improved much if at all looking ahead to next year’s midterm elections. What was a 46-41 lead in the generic ballot is now a similar 44-38.
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/...-at-the-beginning-of-the-shutdown-republ.html

In spite of some of the concern trolling over Dems generic ballot lead their aggregate position is still pretty commanding

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2014-national-house-race

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Be careful what you wish for; "more women in Congress" could end up just translating to "more Michelle Bachmann clones"
No more or less than having more men would result in more Ted Cruz etc.

i.e. That is a poor argument against women in the bodies of congress. My desire to keep crazies out is not in conflict with a desire for additional female representation.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Oh, Jebus. My teabagger co-worker said he's against wind power because it kills lots of birds.

Fox318

Who the hell are the 6% who approve of Congress? I want to meet them.

Everyone likes their teacher, their congressmen, and their local whatever. People don't like anyone else.

Congress reelectability I believe is around 90%. Sure gerrymandering is part of it but people don't like change.

Most districts have a history of one party or another.

Piecake

As for the women in congress question, I think that was rather poorly worded. I think you'd get a higher percentage of every segment if you asked "assuming they are equally qualified (or something) would you like to see a more equal representation of women in congress?"

Fox318

Their mothers and partners.

Business partners yes, partners in bed no.
I know environmentalists who are against wind power for the same reason.

Unfortunately, cleaner sources of power are held back in part by people who oppose them for not being perfect even though they're an improvement over what we have now!

Wasn't there a link between seizures and migraines for people who lived in the shadow of wind power?

Be careful what you wish for; "more women in Congress" could end up just translating to "more Michelle Bachmann clones"
No more or less than having more men would result in more Ted Cruz etc.
Exactly, which is why wanting more of a particular gender in Congress is stupid. There are crazies of both genders. What we should really be trying for is more sane people in Congress, not more of any particular gender.

i.e. That is a poor argument against women in the bodies of congress. My desire to keep crazies out is not in conflict with a desire for additional female representation.
I wasn't making an argument against women being in Congress, rather, I was making the argument that gender isn't even the relevant variable when it comes to what sort of Congresspeople we should want more of.

Oh, Jebus. My teabagger co-worker said he's against wind power because it kills lots of birds.
Anytime I hear that argument I generally I know the person is just a basher. Unless the person is a member of the Audubon society, they didn't give a shit about birds before. You care about birds? Then call for declawing all cats or mandating that they stay indoors . . . cats kill an order of magnitude more birds than wind turbines.

And also buildings, cars, powerlines, and all sorts of other things we build kill birds.

Engineering is always a game of trade-offs . . . with your engineering you can gain in one area while losing in other areas and so you have to look at the net total outcome, not some one specific thing. And if you consider the mountain-top removal, strip-mining, polluted streams, miner deaths, black carbon, mercury, arsenic, SO2, CO2, NO2, radioactive and heavy-metal toxic coal ash, etc. and everything else associated with coal-based generation compared to birds killed by wind turbines? It is a total joke.

Oblivion

I know environmentalists who are against wind power for the same reason.

Yeah, I know. But it's one thing to hear such a complaint from treehuggers. That actually makes sense. It's another to hear it from teabaggers.

Oblivion

Was this posted?

peepeepee said:
GOP voters think by a 29 point margin that it's more appropriate for high schoolers to wear confederate flags to school than gay pride ones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom