• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I have an assignment for sociology that I thought you guys might have good suggestions for. I have to write a paper about a fear campaign. It can be political, commercial, etc as long as it uses fear as a motivator. It can also be from any time period.

I don't watch much TV or keep up with ads like I figure you guys probably do for political ads, so if a good example pops in your head, I'd really appreciate the tip. Thanks.

Some obvious ones:
-The Iraq war
-Willy Horton
-The Hands ad
-Death Panels

EvA3daA.jpg

SHIIIIIIIT.

Sibylus

Banned
Honestly, he should do it. Run this retarded train so far off the tracks that they'll be making cruise missile jokes at his funeral.

Chichikov

What personal risk?

This is the part that really galls me. This guy accepted a job offer with the specific intent of using it to leak secrets. And, he's now set for life; Russia and other opponents of the U.S. are going to see to it that he's well taken care of to embarrass the United States.

Meanwhile, millions of loyal Americans--and billions more around the world--are struggling to get by. Do you know how many unemployed people would have loved to have the job that Snowden had and would have done it honestly? How many people in countries all around the globe will never enjoy the kind of protection Snowden does?

It seems a particularly type cruel of injustice to lavish so much on a man who betrayed his country when there are so many honest people with so much less.
The personal risk of getting thrown to jail for the rest of his life.
You can say you disagree with his goals, but I think it's hard to argue he was willing to go pretty damn far for what he believed in.

Also, just FYI, there is a severe shortage of people in IT, so the idea that Snowden somehow prevented hard working honest Americans from getting a job is a beyond silly, but then again, focusing on Snowden instead of the NSA's actions is beyond silly to begin with.

Keep seeing fear ads about increasing the minimum wage here in NJ. (blah blah gonna hurt businesses! Apparently it's going to go to $8.25 if the measure is passed and will be further tied to inflation as per the state constitution.

So naturally people are gonna vote against their interests.... Or at least I thought. Apparently 60% of people support the ballot measure. Go NJ. We eventually get it right.

Keep seeing fear ads about increasing the minimum wage here in NJ. (blah blah gonna hurt businesses! Apparently it's going to go to $8.25 if the measure is passed and will be further tied to inflation as per the state constitution.

So naturally people are gonna vote against their interests.... Or at least I thought. Apparently 60% of people support the ballot measure. Go NJ. We eventually get it right.

Sorry if this has been posted already, but seriously fuck this guy right in the ear.

christiehatesteachers.jpg

http://jerseyjazzman.blogspot.com/2013/11/exclusive-govchristie-to-teacher-i-am.html?m=1

Sorry if this has been posted already, but seriously fuck this guy right in the ear.

christiehatesteachers.jpg

http://jerseyjazzman.blogspot.com/2013/11/exclusive-govchristie-to-teacher-i-am.html?m=1
All it takes to realize that Christie isn't a serious candidate is shit like this.

Imagine him in a debate with Hillary, pointing fingers and calling her names outright. The right wingers will eat it up of course (all they wanted from Romney was for him to stick it to the president regardless of facts) but any "moderate" credibility goes out the window.

It says waaaay more about New Jersey than it does about Christie's political savvy that he's about to get reelected by a wide margin.

All it takes to realize that Christie isn't a serious candidate is shit like this.

Imagine him in a debate with Hillary, pointing fingers and calling her names outright. The right wingers will eat it up of course (all they wanted from Romney was for him to stick it to the president regardless of facts) but any "moderate" credibility goes out the window.

It says waaaay more about New Jersey than it does about Christie's political savvy that he's about to get reelected by a wide margin.

His "moderate" cred will go right out the window when he's forced to align himself with the national GOP.

bonercop

It also says a lot about dems, I think. They've helped out Christie so much, it's kind of nuts. I dunno if it's a weird loyalty thing because he helped Obama's re-election with the Sandy hurricane *~bipartisanship~*.

Is it fair to say Floridans realized that electing the biggest Medicare scammer for Governor is a bad thing? I mean what could have possibly gone wrong.

I will never understand why people like the whole "angry man" leader. When has this EVER been good looking at history?

Not being able to keep your composure is a sign of weakness.

Teddy

teddy_roosevelt_pointing_display_image.jpg

Its appealing because it goes against to the stuffiness and niceties that people see in formal politics. Most people have real opinions about issues and don't always politely disagree, they like seeing someone who reflects that and is passionate at times.

Fuchsdh

Teddy

Its appealing because it goes against to the stuffiness and niceties that people see in formal politics. Most people have real opinions about issues and don't always politely disagree, they like seeing someone who reflects that and is passionate at times.

Politics have never really been nice. While I'd rather have everyone act in a civil manner, there's something to be said for being honestly angry and transparent that way compared to all the backroom stabbings and character assassination that happens in other areas. Also, if someone is spouting crap they know is false, they should be called out on it, stridently, promptly, and loudly.

Also, if you get shot in the chest and then go on talking for two hours before you let yourself get patched up, I think your badass cred extends to chewing out your opposition.

Piecake

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/jo.../what-we-get-wrong-about-small-business/7445/

It is well-understood now that small business is the backbone of the American economy. Half of the people who work in this country own or work for a small business. But what is less understood is what kinds of businesses these are and how they contribute to job creation. There are 28 million small businesses in the U.S.—but only 6 million of them have employees. Those businesses fall into two categories: high-growth entrepreneurial businesses and Main Street, or local, businesses.

Venture capitalists are very focused. Seventy percent of venture capital gets invested in companies in just three states—California, Massachusetts, and New York. But there are ways to get more capital in other parts of the country. One way we did it at the SBA was through the Small Business Investment Companies program. We built public-private partnerships, which gave access to capital to over 300 growth equity firms. Private investors were making the decisions on the companies, but the government was giving them more leverage. So folks who couldn't get VC funding could get access to capital from these firms.

The first thing we did was streamline and simplify the program. Obama doesn't get enough credit for how much he's reduced paperwork and complications across the administration. We took the turnaround time for licensing of these funds from nearly two years to five months. That significantly reduced the paperwork, and then we were able to market it to some of the best investors in the country. It was much less bureaucracy to deal with than it had been before.

I was in venture capital for more than 25 years. The industry has been very reluctant to seek out some of these smaller high-growth opportunities. In fact, the practice has been to tell companies that have a lot of potential that they need to move to Silicon Valley. I think this has constrained returns because there are too many dollars chasing the same deal.

Interesting article. I learned a bit more about venture capital, which seems like something we should support more instead of simply focusing on the stock market like we are doing... but hey, the stock market is easier and less risky. But man, 70% is tied up in 3 cities? That seems like a lot of opportunities being missed.

Teddy

I do not at all consider Christie to be a Roosevelt-caliber politician.

Plus TR would be a Democrat nowadays anyway.

I will never understand why people like the whole "angry man" leader. When has this EVER been good looking at history?

Not being able to keep your composure is a sign of weakness.

Are you kidding? It is very popular on the right. There are a lot people drawn to authoritarianism and militantism. Hitler did win elections. Netanyahu is ruling Israel. Ted Cruz is a hero right now.

I agree with you in that I don't understand it and don't like it . . . but that said, it resonates with a lot of people.

Karakand

There are 28 million small businesses in the U.S.—but only 6 million of them have employees. Those businesses fall into two categories: high-growth entrepreneurial businesses and Main Street, or local, businesses.

Interested to know if "employee" includes contractors and if obvious shell entities are excluded. (Yes your local mom and pop uses shell entities.)

Christie controls himself when he needs to, specifically in debates and speeches. And while he'd certainly turn some moderates off, I don't see him bullying Hillary. He's not that dumb, as seen by his debates with Buono.

What works in Jersey doesn't work nationally, but I think he'll find a decent enough balance between the asshole behavior and the "bipartisanship." And let's not forget he'll be running an outsider campaign against Hillary, which has proven quite successful in the past.

But at the end of the day we don't have to worry about any of this considering he won't get through the republican primaries ha.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Christie controls himself when he needs to, specifically in debates and speeches. And while he'd certainly turn some moderates off, I don't see him bullying Hillary. He's not that dumb, as seen by his debates with Buono.

What works in Jersey doesn't work nationally, but I think he'll find a decent enough balance between the asshole behavior and the "bipartisanship." And let's not forget he'll be running an outsider campaign against Hillary, which has proven quite successful in the past.

But at the end of the day we don't have to worry about any of this considering he won't get through the republican primaries ha.

Even if he could, he'll either have had to go full retard or full asshole to do it. So no matter what, he'd be damaged goods.

I wonder about this. Clearly there is a strong crazy extremist streak in the base. But in the end, they picked McCain and then Romney . . . neither are the red-meat conservative types.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I wonder about this. Clearly there is a strong crazy extremist streak in the base. But in the end, they picked McCain and then Romney . . . neither are the red-meat conservative types.

McCain went through in a time they were less insane, if that even seems possible and Romney had unlimited campaign funds with which to bury his competition. If it weren't for Romney's money, and his ability to carpet bomb the Florida airwaves, then maybe Gingrich wins that state and changes the dynamic.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Yeah, but look what they had to do to get through the primaries. Both lost the general by large margins.

Trouble

Banned
Romney ran against a bunch of nobodies and a stumbling Rick Perry.

I wish I lived in the alternate universe where Rick Perry takes a swing at Romney during the debate when Romney put his hand on Perry's shoulder as he condescendingly talked over him.

QGyJrjo.jpg

Romney would have gone down like a sack of potatoes. It would have been glorious.

True but both had large long term advantages. McCain entered as the establishment "next in line" and survived long enough to become the compromise candidate of most of the party. Romney's win was virtually guaranteed from the beginning, as the establishment "next in line" but more importantly as the ONLY candidate with long term campaign fundraising ability.

The difference in 2016 is going to be that more than one candidate will have a lot of money. Christie will have great establishment fundraising, but Ted Cruz is going to have access to Texas business money as well as a huge grassroots base. Same with Rand Paul, who already has enough of his dad's infrastructure to guarantee grassroots success.

Basically 2016 is going to completely reset the republican playing field, just as 2000 did. The Bush era ended with Romney's loss, and there is once again a fight over the future of the party.

Trouble

Banned
True but both had large long term advantages. McCain entered as the establishment "next in line" and survived long enough to become the compromise candidate of most of the party. Romney's win was virtually guaranteed from the beginning, as the establishment "next in line" but more importantly as the ONLY candidate with long term campaign fundraising ability.

The difference in 2016 is going to be that more than one candidate will have a lot of money. Christie will have great establishment fundraising, but Ted Cruz is going to have access to Texas business money as well as a huge grassroots base. Same with Rand Paul, who already has enough of his dad's infrastructure to guarantee grassroots success.

Basically 2016 is going to completely reset the republican playing field, just as 2000 did. The Bush era ended with Romney's loss, and there is once again a fight over the future of the party.

Also, the crazies have a tendency to say crazy things and sink their candidacy. Romney only largely got through the primary because everyone else had shown their ass already.

#LiberalsForCruz

Interested to know if "employee" includes contractors and if obvious shell entities are excluded. (Yes your local mom and pop uses shell entities.)

I've always assumed that the "rise of entrepreneurs" are due to people just setting up internet stores and getting online work for pocket change.

Are you kidding? It is very popular on the right. There are a lot people drawn to authoritarianism and militantism. Hitler did win elections. Netanyahu is ruling Israel. Ted Cruz is a hero right now.

I agree with you in that I don't understand it and don't like it . . . but that said, it resonates with a lot of people.

I agree, I just don't get way people like it so much. Lack of composure is a bad thing to me.

Before Denver, Clinton had watched in wonder as Obama caught break after break. Although the economy wasn’t roaring back, neither the European banking crisis nor the unrest in the Mideast had caused it to nosedive. Meanwhile, Romney’s ineptness staggered Clinton. After the release of the 47 percent video, he remarked to a friend that, while Mitt was a decent man, he was in the wrong line of work. (“He really shouldn’t be speaking to people in public.”) As for Obama, Clinton trotted out for his pals the same line again and again: “He’s luckier than a dog with two dicks.”
http://www.salon.com/2013/11/03/dou...hat_almost_cost_obama_a_second_term_election/

haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom