• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Well, there has to be some sort of standard for what constitutes a sincerely held belief, yes? Otherwise the door is wide open to just cherrypick whatever religion seems best for you at the moment in terms of which laws it gets you around.

The guidance I received in deciding "sincerely held beliefs" cases was not whether the individual held each belief of the religion, but what were the established tenets of the religion nation or worldwide, and whether the individual adheres to the religion in general. Do they put themselves out to the community on a regular basis as a member of that religion?

So one could argue they are catholic by going to church weekly, getting married catholic and so forth and then look at what catholicism means in general in the official tenets of its leadership. The individual does not need to prove they follow each tenet, or even most of them.

Joe Molotov

The guidance I received in deciding "sincerely held beliefs" cases was not whether the individual held each belief of the religion, but what were the established tenets of the religion nation or worldwide, and whether the individual adheres to the religion in general. Do they put themselves out to the community on a regular basis as a member of that religion?

So one could argue they are catholic by going to church weekly, getting married catholic and so forth and then look at what catholicism means in general in the official tenets of its leadership. The individual does not need to prove they follow each tenet, or even most of them.

So what does this mean for a corporation? If it says a lot about Jesus on the "About Us" page of their website, does that count?

Tamanon

Banned
FBI Corruption Task Force is busy. Must be quota time with State Sen Leland Yee and Charlotte Mayor Patrick Cannon both picked up for corruption.

I can already feel the FOX engine rumbling up.

Joe Molotov

I can already feel the FOX engine rumbling up.

Tu5ZxK0.gif

I think separation of church and state is a very important part of freedom of religion. Making the government strictly define religion does not adhere to that separation. There are already plenty of other legal tests that do keep freedom of religion from running wild over government while keeping the separation of church and state intact and not needing such definitions as religion being only about church and prayer. But if you know of any precedence for making judgement on a person's religion on the merits of that religion itself, I'd like to hear it.

But the government has and must do this. Just like it said forcing a child to say "under god" in the pledge of allegiance is religion (and thus establishment of one), it defined what religion is. The Courts can't answer these questions without doing so.

I'm sure there have been very small cases almost immediately thrown out where someone claimed some BS religious thing. But these cases are going to be rare because someone would have to be insane or stupid to make such claims (or a troll).

But the issue here isn't defining religion but rather an exercise of religion. No one denies that Hobby Lobby is against contraception for religious reasons. The issue is whether them spending money on insurance that covers contraception affects their exercise of religion and we know it doesn't because they're not buying the contraception for themselves. It's their employees whose exercise of religion is being affected when they do or don't buy contraceptives. Hobby Lobby is doing nothing and they aren't doing omission either.

Furthermore, Hobby Lobby itself doesn't believe it is an exercise of religion because they willingly spend money in the same manner for contraceptives for others, as I explained.

We already say you still have to pay taxes if a portion goes to war despite your peaceful religious beliefs, so why bother with figuring out if that person is truly peaceful or just wants to get out of paying taxes? In this case it seems pretty clear that Hobby Lobby is going to lose this case solely based off the tests provided in RFRA so there's no real need to challenge the legitimacy of their religious beliefs.

I think it's very important because it matters. I agree that this case should fail on numerous merits, and I could argue all of them, but that doesn't mean we should ignore this one.

What if i want to fire a woman/man for getting divorced? Or unwed pregnancy? Divorced people aren't a protected class and what would the compelling gov't interest be? Sure, homosexuals should be a protected class, but if we accept the argument that it is an exercise of religion to fire someone based on those beliefs, you open pandora's box. I think it's a dangerous game to play and I'd like to nip all of it in the bud.

That sounds like a type of arguement that was touched on a lot. Kennedy even touched on it a bit, seeming to agree with it (page 33).

This is a bit different. He's arguing the religion exercise of the employees is being trumped by the employer while I'm arguing that money going to a third party is never an exercise of religion.

Well that's the whole rub, isn't it? None of those other exercises of religion that you mention are things that a corporation can actually do because a corporation is not an individual. All that corporate expression could mean is either freedom of religious speech (which they already have) or freedom to impose behavior on their employees because the employees are "part of the corperation", which is the problem

While I agree, for the purposes of this discussion I'm assuming they can. Or look at it as a single employer, even.

You don't think their is a distinction besides literally paying for something that expressly includes something and paying a wage which is only a transfer of money in which they have no control over how its spent? You might not make that distinction but some people might.

There is absolutely no distinction. Again, I don't care if other people make that distinction. Other people think the Earth is 6000 years old. Everyone is entitled to believe what they want, it doesn't mean it's a valid belief.

And they're not literally paying for contraceptives. They're paying for insurance. If I get cancer, my employer doesn't pay for my chemo and radiation and doctor visits or anything else. They pay for my insurance coverage.

Paying a wage and paying a premium in which a third party may use said money to pay for contraceptives has no distinction. It is exactly the same scenario.

And I'd also like to mention again how Hobby Lobby doesn't oppose covering pregnancies for unwed mothers, which they're certainly against pre-marital sex and pregnancies, while oppose this. Ask yourself why.

I'm not presenting this is agree with them, just that I don't think we should be dictating to religious people that distinction.

It is imperative that religious fanatics understand this distinction (or lack thereof).

I'm not saying that's a good reason to deny them the coverage. I don't think Hobby Lobby should win this case, I'm just opposed to your idea that the supreme court should decide which is a religious claim and which is not. They should take the sincerity of believe at face value and then judge whether the state has the right to ignore that believe because it has a compelling interest and isn't targeting religious practice unfairly, no matter how silly it is. Lee delt with a religious person not liking social security because of their belief on 'self-reliance.' That sounds silly to me, but its not reason to through the case out. The government needed to show why they can tell that person their believes didn't entitle them to ignore the law.

Of course I'm aware that you're against Hobby Lobby winning. And I agree they should lose on the other arguments as well. I think their case fails at every single level.

I'm not arguing that Hobby Lobby's belief isn't sincere or religious in nature. I'm arguing that that belief isn't being affected and there is no exercise of religion being exerted by them in this case.

Religious beliefs are not an exercise of religion. Exercise of religion is an action and while spending money is an action, even if we assume spending money can be an exercise of religion (something I'd argue against), Hobby Lobby doesn't believe it is as I've just explained.

Well, there has to be some sort of standard for what constitutes a sincerely held belief, yes? Otherwise the door is wide open to just cherrypick whatever religion seems best for you at the moment in terms of which laws it gets you around.

There is but its pretty broad. Its based on actions. If you can show that you've lived your life in accordance with those principles. I think that's pretty easy for Hobby Lobby to do. And most religious beliefs that the court sees. I don't know many cases where the court says, you're beliefs aren't sincere. The court touched on this yesterday.

Kagan: And because you say that there ­­ and I think this is absolutely right when you say it ­­ that you ­­ you cannot test the centrality of a belief to a religion, you cannot test the sincerity of religion.  I think a court would be, you know ­their hands would be bound when faced with all these challenges if your standard applies.

JUSTICE SOTOMAYOR:  That's the most dangerous piece.  That's the one we've resisted in all our exercise jurisprudence, to measure the depth of someone's religious beliefs.

GENERAL VERRILLI:  No, but I do think the problem, Justice Alito, is that this Court has recognized, and certainly the courts of appeals have recognized, that there is a difference.  You accept the sincerity of the belief, but the Court still has to make a judgment of its own about what constitutes a substantial burden, or otherwise, for example, the tax thing would be a substantial burden.  Or we cited a D.C. Circuit case in which prisoners objected to giving DNA samples and the court said:  We accept the sincerity of that belief, but it's up to us to decide whether that's a actually substantial burden.

In the Bowen case in this Court, the Court accepted the sincerity of the belief that the use of the child's Social Security number would offend religious belief and commitments, but said they still had to make a judgment about whether that was a substantial burden.
So it does have to be, with all due respect, part of the analysis.

Courts have been very lenient with sincerity: See Sourbeer v. Robinson (Dude barely went to church and didn't have a priest), Reed v. Faulkner where the court said “the fact that a person does not adhere steadfastly to every tenet of his faith does not mark him as insincere.”

The only time I can see them looking at the sincerity question is if it can be shown you never really act or repeatedly and intentionally violated your claimed faith. If you claimed you couldn't serve gays but you spend every weekend at a gay bar, or you claim your arrest on a drug charge is a violation of your religion because weed is sacred but you've teach DARE classes and written political tomes about the evil of drugs.

That doesn't mean these claims are valid and covered by the 1st amendment, its just means they are sincere believes and the court should then look at the burden and compelling interest.

Did you just forget this, and that you responded to it?

Yeah, and? That still wasn't an explanation specifically to what exercise was being affected. Believing something is a sin is a belief, it is not the free exercise of religion the government can affect.

I mean, sure, if you define "exercise of religion" as exclusively "praying and going to church," then the contraceptive rule doesn't burden any exercise of religion (except insofar as it might make praying or going to church awkward, since the person praying or going to church believes he or she is engaging in sinful behavior).

It's not exclusively that. It's also not drinking wine or eating pork, it can be eating Matzot on Passover, it can be eating the body of Christ cracker, it can be not getting an abortion, not having pre-marital sex, not using contraceptives. The key part here is it is things the person does for themselves directly that is an exercise of religion.

There's a very good reason no person familiar with the law has raised the argument you're trying to make: it has no legal, factual, or policy basis.

Wrong. Reynolds v US did just that. Thomas Jefferson did as well.

"Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State. Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties."

Reynolds is where Scalia got that quote from I posted earlier.

"to permit this would be to make the professed doctrines of religious belief superior to the law of the land, and in effect to permit every citizen to become a law unto himself."

This is exactly in line with my argument.

APK responded to this, but there's a difference between requiring an employer to compensate its employees in a specified manner on the one hand, and the employer not interfering with how its employees spend their compensation, on the other. If the government commands me to purchase X and provide it to you, that results in a very different analysis for me than if I simply paid you and you purchased X. I don't care what you do with your money; I just care what I do with mine.

First off, as I already explained, they aren't being commanded to purchase contraceptives, as I explained. Secondly, it is no different as I explained as you're still giving money through third parties.

Furthermore, I'd like to point out it isn't a sin to buy contraceptives, even for Hobby Lobby. It's the use of them that is the sin. Hobby Lobby can go to Walgreens and buy contraceptives and throw them in the trash and that would not be sinful.

So even if Hobby Lobby directly bought contraceptives, which they aren't, nothing about their religion has been violated. It's only if and only if people use them as their intended function (say, instead of water balloons :p) where it's an issue for them. But someone else using a contraceptive doesn't affect Hobby Lobby's exercise of religion. They can still refuse to use them for themselves!

Hobby Lobby's argument is that they are being forced to contribute to their use (which they can't actually prove, only assume), but this argument is true just by paying wages itself.

It's also hilarious to see someone argue there's a distinction between the employer reducing ones wages to pay for employer insurance versus not and letting the employee buy it on his own. You're simply changing the tax credits and nothing else.

Why on earth couldn't you? Must buying milk and eggs be an exercise of religion in order for tithing to be an exercise of religion? Or, must buying milk and eggs be an exercise of religion in order for declining to buy alcohol (because one believes consuming alcohol is a sin) to be an exercise of religion? Obviously not.

I don't understand what you're saying here at all.

When a person does, or refrains from doing, something that the person believes he or she is bound by God's commands to do, or refrain from doing, that person is exercising religion. When a person does, or refrains from doing, something which the person believes is permitted but not required by God's commands, that person is not exercising religion. "Spending money" could fall in either of those categories, and so may be an exercise of religion, or not, depending on the facts of the particular situation.

I didn't say spending money can never be religious (though I think some argument can be made with the caveat that spending and charity aren't the same). I said in the context of the issue, it's always or never.

If you believe contraceptives are a sin, then if you spend money on it indirectly, you believe it doesn't violate your religious exercise. You can't argue spending it indirectly in this manner matters and this other manner does not.

Hobby Lobby hasn't argued their taxes covering federal workers insurance that covers birth control violates their exercise of religion, but they're arguing them covering their own workers insurance that does that does. That's an inconsistent position. Either both do or none do!

That doesn't mean these claims are valid and covered by the 1st amendment, its just means they are sincere believes and the court should then look at the burden and compelling interest.

If they're not covered by the 1st Amendment, then they're not a free exercise of religion. So you then agree with my position.

But the government has and must do this. Just like it said forcing a child to say "under god" in the pledge of allegiance is religion (and thus establishment of one), it defined what religion is. The Courts can't answer these questions without doing so.
It didn't define religion. It found a religious practice and named it as such based on the doctrine of the believers and church teachings. The court say anything that attempts to address “fundamental and ultimate questions,” is “comprehensive in nature,” and presents “certain formal and external signs.” Is a religion. Even Atheism is included in this. The only thing that might not fall under that would be nihilism lol.

But the issue here isn't defining religion but rather an exercise of religion. No one denies that Hobby Lobby is against contraception for religious reasons. The issue is whether them spending money on insurance that covers contraception affects their exercise of religion and we know it doesn't because they're not buying the contraception for themselves. It's their employees whose exercise of religion is being affected when they do or don't buy contraceptives. Hobby Lobby is doing nothing and they aren't doing omission either.
If their was a quote from Jesus that said don't by insurance that includes contraception coverage, it is a sin but if one of your employees may spend their salary on insurance that is permitted, would you believe requiring this was a exercise of religion?
What's changed in that example?

Furthermore, Hobby Lobby itself doesn't believe it is an exercise of religion because they willingly spend money in the same manner for contraceptives for others, as I explained.
Are you talking about your comments about an employee spending their salary on IUDs or birth control? because I don't think you've established there being no difference. And the court sure saw one yesterday.

What if i want to fire a woman/man for getting divorced? Or unwed pregnancy? Divorced people aren't a protected class and what would the compelling gov't interest be? Sure, homosexuals should be a protected class, but if we accept the argument that it is an exercise of religion to fire someone based on those beliefs, you open pandora's box. I think it's a dangerous game to play and I'd like to nip all of it in the bud.
First of all, with current doctrine you can do a lot of those things if you are religious corporation and second those would fail on the merits chief among them would be the distinction between for-profit and religious organizations. That's why I think its so essential for the court to uphold the principle they found in Lee.

This is a bit different. He's arguing the religion exercise of the employees is being trumped by the employer while I'm arguing that money going to a third party is never an exercise of religion.

There is absolutely no distinction. Again, I don't care if other people make that distinction. Other people think the Earth is 6000 years old. Everyone is entitled to believe what they want, it doesn't mean it's a valid belief.

And they're not literally paying for contraceptives. They're paying for insurance. If I get cancer, my employer doesn't pay for my chemo and radiation and doctor visits or anything else. They pay for my insurance coverage.

Paying a wage and paying a premium in which a third party may use said money to pay for contraceptives has no distinction. It is exactly the same scenario.

And I'd also like to mention again how Hobby Lobby doesn't oppose covering pregnancies for unwed mothers, which they're certainly against pre-marital sex and pregnancies, while oppose this. Ask yourself why.

That first statement is a frighting idea because of course that is a valid belief (its not truth or reality) and the first amendment protects people's right to live their lives in accordance with their beliefs as long as the government doesn't have a compelling interest in passing a neutral law that would disfavor that. Your line of reasoning would tell the kosher butcher "your religious blessing does nothing to the food, its literally the same, you deserve no protection." Or to a Indian "your use of drugs doesn't literally transport to a spirit world, its just chemicals in your brain" (I'm not familiar with their particular beliefs so if this is incorrect and a caricature I mean no offense and I'm sorry) .

It is imperative that religious fanatics understand this distinction (or lack thereof).
The court doesn't see 'normal religious folks' and 'religious fanatics' there is no distinction in the first amendment. All that matters is the pre-smith or smith test.

Religious beliefs are not an exercise of religion. Exercise of religion is an action and while spending money is an action, even if we assume spending money can be an exercise of religion (something I'd argue against), Hobby Lobby doesn't believe it is as I've just explained.
I don't think you've shown your explanation to be true.

If they're not covered by the 1st Amendment, then they're not a free exercise of religion. So you then agree with my position.
No, because following your distinction, their beliefs are that forcing them to purchase insurance is an action which the government is compelling them to do. You disagree with their believe on that but there is an action taking place.

Why should we permit State entities to practice religion at all? Why should I pretend that Hobby Lobby, Inc. has any "sincere beliefs" at all?

it is ridiculous that there is even a discussion about Hobby Lobby, Inc.'s religion. Corporate personhood is a doctrine of legal convenience. Why should that convenience extend to fantasies about abstract concepts practicing religion? It's nonsense.

I don't understand why you all are talking about people when no person has even brought suit.

Wish Piecake was here. Five Little Known Facts about Social Security. Conservative writer...

"The Social Security trustees assume an annual 2.8 percent inflation rate," he says. "Historic norms are in excess of 3 percent. That's a big difference when you're talking about trillions of dollars.

Lol
The latest annual inflation rate for the United States is 1.1%, as reported by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) on March 18, 2014.

Why should we permit State entities to practice religion at all? Why should I pretend that Hobby Lobby, Inc. has any "sincere beliefs" at all?

it is ridiculous that there is even a discussion about Hobby Lobby, Inc.'s religion. Corporate personhood is a doctrine of legal convenience. Why should that convenience extend to fantasies about abstract concepts practicing religion? It's nonsense.

I don't understand why you all are talking about people when no person has even brought suit.

I don't think that Hobby Lobby has any sincere beliefs, its a for-profit corporation (But as I've mentioned before some Churches and religious organizations which are non-for-profit are 'legal fictions' but should be afforded 1st amendment protect). I don't think it should get them. I'm just arguing that the case should be ruled a certain way because their are no beliefs or exercise at question.

I don't think these questions are 'nonsense,' they're vital to ask. The don't arise out of nowhere, things like the freedom of association lead to these questions. Does the NAACP deserve 1st amendment protections?

It didn't define religion. It found a religious practice and named it as such based on the doctrine of the believers and church teachings.

Not sure how this is different from what I'm saying...

If their was a quote from Jesus that said don't by insurance that includes contraception coverage, it is a sin but if one of your employees may spend their salary on insurance that is permitted, would you believe requiring this was a exercise of religion?
What's changed in that example?

This is a pretty ridiculous hypothetical.

Are you asking me the difference between the hypothetical and the current situation?

Are you talking about your comments about an employee spending their salary on IUDs or birth control? because I don't think you've established there being no difference. And the court sure saw one yesterday.

I didn't notice the court address my argument; they've seem to all accept it being religious in nature regardless.

But you can also use my tax example as well.

First of all, with current doctrine you can do a lot of those things if you are religious corporation and second those would fail on the merits chief among them would be the distinction between for-profit and religious organizations. That's why I think its so essential for the court to uphold the principle they found in Lee.

And if they don't....?

That first statement is a frighting idea because of course that is a valid belief (its not truth or reality) and the first amendment protects people's right to live their lives in accordance with their beliefs as long as the government doesn't have a compelling interest in passing a neutral law that would disfavor that. Your line of reasoning would tell the kosher butcher "your religious blessing does nothing to the food, its literally the same, you deserve no protection." Or to a Indian "your use of drugs doesn't literally transport to a spirit world, its just chemicals in your brain" (I'm not familiar with their particular beliefs so if this is incorrect and a caricature I mean no offense and I'm sorry) .

No, it is not a valid belief! Is the belief that blacks are a subhuman race also valid?

Are the beliefs of a schizophrenic also valid? Is there no line?

And no, my logical reasoning doesn't go that far. I have at no point argued that Hobby Lobby must use contraception for themselves during sex. That's protected.

The court doesn't see 'normal religious folks' and 'religious fanatics' there is no distinction in the first amendment. All that matters is the pre-smith or smith test.

I agree there is no distinction in the First, but it does matter to society we demonstrate their arguments are absurd.

I don't think you've shown your explanation to be true.

Then refute my position on their taxes paying for insurance.

or that the purchase of contraceptives isn't even a violation of their religion!

No, because following your distinction, their beliefs are that forcing them to purchase insurance is an action which the government is compelling them to do. You disagree with their believe on that but there is an action taking place.

And now you're arguing it is covered by the First Amendment. You're contradicting yourself.

Purchasing insurance is an action, but is it a free exercise of religion? yes or no?

I'm pretending Hobby Lobby is a real person who owns and runs this company for this discussion. I agree with you vis-a-vis corporations, but I that doesn't answer the question if it's a sole proprietorship which also matters to me.

Wilsongt

I...

Huh.

At least his message makes sense...?

I've got nothing.

GOP Candidate *Literally* Shoots Holes In Obamacare In New Campaign Video

It's a match made in heaven: An Alabama congressional candidate has a new campaign video in which he literally shoots holes in the Affordable Care Act.

The Daily Caller first reported on the new video from Will Brooke, a business executive who is running in the GOP primary to replace Rep. Spencer Bachus (R-AL).

"We're down here to have a little fun and talk about two serious subjects," Brooke says. "The Second Amendment and see how much damage we can do to this copy of Obamacare."

He then mounts the bill and shoots it with a .40 Glock pistol, a .270 Cooper rifle and an AR-15 rifle, according to the Caller. When that doesn't work, Brooke loads the legislation into a wood chipper.

Retro

He then mounts the bill and shoots it with a .40 Glock pistol, a .270 Cooper rifle and an AR-15 rifle, according to the Caller. When that doesn't work, Brooke loads the legislation into a wood chipper.[/B]

Careful there, pal, you're technically recycling that into mulch, somebody might call you eco-friendly and ruin your election chances.

Does the NAACP deserve 1st amendment protections?

To be frank, I do not believe any incorporated entity has any constitutional protections, because I believe such entities to be part of the State. A voluntary association of individuals, on the other hand, I believe does have such protections, because that is a group of people and not a legal construct created and empowered by government.

benjipwns

Banned
To be frank, I do not believe any incorporated entity has any constitutional protections, because I believe such entities to be part of the State. A voluntary association of individuals, on the other hand, I believe does have such protections, because that is a group of people and not a legal construct created and empowered by government.
But the state itself is a corporation.

weebay.gif

Funny how this (petty and terrible) piece just support Krugman's criticism.
My first thought was this sounds a lot like what Nate claims he hated.

Its also reflects poorly on Nate because its a classic case of correlation being mistaken for causation. Most of the non-neutral articles were during the 2012 election. You know why? Because Krugman was fighting back against the media misreading polling. It had nothing to do with the quality of his blogging which is his current focus.

And I agree with Krugman's critique of the Fox motif as well. And love him pointing to ACAsignups.net
That's rather ugly.

538's only facing some overhype backlash right now. If he just gives it some time it'll pass and it'll be like every other news/blog site where it'll only get attention when a really good or really bad article gets put up.

Its facing backlash because its been a poor site with poor articles. People like Nate for his politics and some for his sports. I liked the idea of him expanding but the articles haven't been very good so far.

I don't think data by itself says anything you need someone to explain why it means and why it matters (that and many articles fall pray to the trope you can use data to come to any conclusion). Nate's site hasn't done that. I'm gonna give it time but I'm losing hope.

I'll still come to him for electoral predictions but he's not the only one in that game who got it right. Sam Wang called the same 49 out of 50. Nate doesn't have a secret key. Sabermetrics didn't stay secret. Neither will a weighting of polling data.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
While I agree, for the purposes of this discussion I'm assuming they can. Or look at it as a single employer, even.

But this is exactly the problem with this whole idea of corporate personhood: the conflation of the "beliefs" of a business with the beliefs of a person or persons who run the business. It sounds like a semantic point but I think it's really really not: a CEO is not their company.

Aaron

I don't see how the Supreme Court could find in favor of the Hobby Lobby, because we're not talking about a corporation getting religion, but the owner imposing his or her religion on it, and also on it's employees. It would set a precedent that would contradict freedom of religion.

I don't see how the Supreme Court could find in favor of the Hobby Lobby, because we're not talking about a corporation getting religion, but the owner imposing his or her religion on it, and also on it's employees. It would set a precedent that would contradict freedom of religion.

Yes, in my view it's a violation of the establishment clause.

Roberts, Scalia, Thomas, Alito and Kennedy don't care, they will twist the constitution however they like in order to justify their opinion.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more

This isn't true, even if you pretend the law (or, for that matter, reason) is on your side and corporations aren't "persons." The Hahns (the natural persons--you don't deny the law recognizes their personhood, do you?) sued along with Conestoga Wood Specialties Corp., and the Greens sued along with Hobby Lobby.

Roberts, Scalia, Thomas, Alito and Kennedy don't care, they will twist the constitution however they like in order to justify their opinion.

All justices do this, even the liberals one. Let's not pretend they're any different in this way.

zero shift said:
If the right has been committed in slashing welfare and benefits how has it gotten so high (outside the obvious past few years)?

1. Inequality has grown

2. The right hasn't fought the welfare state nationally when in power. Bush alone expanded the EITC and other things, as well as Medicare Part D.

benjipwns

Banned
Yes, since I'm the one that posted it, if you look at the GDP one it clearly tracks with recessions. Longevity of time on welfare would also increase shares and costs. The guy I was responding to was just implying that welfare had basically ceased to exist. (Or at least that's my misinterpretation of him.)

This isn't true, even if you pretend the law (or, for that matter, reason) is on your side and corporations aren't "persons." The Hahns (the natural persons--you don't deny the law recognizes their personhood, do you?) sued along with Conestoga Wood Specialties Corp., and the Greens sued along with Hobby Lobby.

But those persons are irrelevant to the case, because the law doesn't apply to them. It applies to Hobby Lobby, Inc. A corporation is not the people who apply for it, the people who own shares in it, or the people who work for it. It is a separate entity.

So I saw this post:

If the right has been committed in slashing welfare and benefits how has it gotten so high (outside the obvious past few years)?

Stimulus and a recession (and in the 90s and 00s you can see it hold steady and only increase during recessions). I'm interested in what is considered 'welfare'

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
But those persons are irrelevant to the case, because the law doesn't apply to them. It applies to Hobby Lobby, Inc. A corporation is not the people who apply for it, the people who own shares in it, or the people who work for it. It is a separate entity.

As I said in the other thread, this approach elevates form over substance. There's not really a creature called a "corporation" which the state, in an exercise of its divine power, summons into existence.

But regardless of that, what you said--that no "person" (meaning no natural person) had sued--was false, which was my point.

She basically ignores him to rant out as many of her talking points as possible in the limited time and gets angrier and angrier as it goes on.

Chris Hayes looks weird in this, didn't even think it was him at first, maybe it's just me.

She also can't get her talking points straight. She confused her Obama-subsidy talking points with medicaid.

She claimed people who make $94k are eligible for medicaid.

Pretty much everything was incoherent, it was so sad to see. Like the ravings of a lunatic. Hayes just looks bored with it (like, seriously couldn't we get someone who can form real sentences, at least?).

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
She basically ignores him to rant out as many of her talking points as possible in the limited time and gets angrier and angrier as it goes on.

Chris Hayes looks weird in this, didn't even think it was him at first, maybe it's just me.

She also can't get her talking points straight. She confused her Obama-subsidy talking points with medicaid.

She claimed people who make $94k are eligible for medicaid.

Pretty much everything was incoherent, it was so sad to see. Like the ravings of a lunatic. Hayes just looks bored with it (like, seriously couldn't we get someone who can form real sentences, at least?).

Finally saw it. Jeez what a twit.

He cites articles and conference calls but he also calls states and insurers up directly, as well. And the people who conducted surveys.

I guess what I find surprising is that nobody else has thought of doing this?

538 really looks like stat pop, in the same way Buzzfeed is politics pop. I understand why espn would want that but not Silver. I think some of Silver's arguments have been logical, specifically on democrats being hypocrites with respect to his senate numbers. But the Krugman thing...sigh. Interestingly the same thing happened with Ezra Klein, who hired an "anti gay" reporter thus insulting liberals. Personally I don't care that Silver hired a climate change skeptic, I'm more concerned about the general lack of meaningful stats - and the poor content in general. Yesterday they literally had a front page story about the Beatles not being "bigger than Jesus" after all, but bigger than Moses. Based on the mighty power of stats and charts. Who gives a fuck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom