• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped for a brief moment in the produce aisle to admire a pair of hipsters as they harmonized to “Say You, Say Me.”

I came face to face with a massive sign bearing giant letters.

It read: “HISPANIC CHEESE.”

What if the clerk confronted me about trying to purchase a cheese that was contrary to my ethnicity?

When did they start segregating the dairy products?

I recall that delightful song from church days gone by. “Jesus loves the little cheeses, all the cheeses of the world. Swiss and Cheddar, stinky, too. If He loved them, so should you. Jesus loves the little cheeses of the world.”

I dream of a day when cheese is not judged by its country of origin but by the content of its butterfat – be it Gouda or Velveeta.

156x195-todd-starnes.jpg

Wilsongt

Two days after World Vision states it would allow Same sex married Christians, they back peddle due to fundie pressure.

Now they're just fucked, because those people who were glad about the decision are not pissed that they caved.

God bless Christian America!!! Because children* come first!

*unless they organization that helps children allows gays, then fuck them. No money from me.

Two days after World Vision states it would allow Same sex married Christians, they back peddle due to fundie pressure.

Now they're just fucked, because those people who were glad about the decision are not pissed that they caved.

God bless Christian America!!! Because children* come first!

*unless they organization that helps children allows gays, then fuck them. No money from me.

what's this about?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Ha, it's funny because liberals are ok when you say "Mexican foods are spicy" but when you say "Mexican people have low IQs" liberals all think you're a racist for some reason.

It's a hilarious satire as long as you just ignore the fact that food is a commonly practiced tradition, and the other is a generalized statement of merit.

Haha, he thinks he is too good for Hispanic cheese. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Probably tastes like illegal immigration, amirite funny conservative guy? Gimme that legal, tax-paying Caucasian cheese that has a slight hint of bootstrap flavor any day.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ha, it's funny because liberals are ok when you say "Mexican foods are spicy" but when you say "Mexican people have low IQs" liberals all think you're a racist for some reason.

It's a hilarious satire as long as you just ignore the fact that food is a commonly practiced tradition, and the other is a generalized statement of merit.
Food is also a product of the resources commonly available to a specific location. Mexican food is heavy on corn because that's what they traditionally had!

The stupidity. Its to dumb for me to grasp. His logic is ridiculous. To compare ethnic food with what he's trying to do.
I don't even understand what he is trying to do.

I guess he didn't like the fact that it was Hispanic Cheese as opposed to just cheese?

I guess there is sort of a point to that . . . it would look weird if it said "Black cheese" or "Caucasian cheese" . . . but so what? It is just some clumsy language at a tiny corner grocery store. He seems be one of those people that gets mad if a voicemail system allows you to press 2 for Spanish.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I know why we think it's funny, they question is why they think it's funny.

I'm certain it's exactly like I said right above your post. I know because I wrote a very similar satire when I was in high school for an english assignment, back when I was a republican style racist, upset at the hypocrisy of having to be colorblind on some issues about race, while celebrating diversity in other issues.

I even used the "Where's my Caucasian stuff?" style statement hoping people would call me racist so I can say something like "now we're racist if we aren't colorblind about food? You're proving the point of my satire".

For the record I was called a racist for that assignment and they were right to. It's one of those high school moments I wish I could do over. I actually feel a lot better now seeing that grown adults with a high profile writing job making the same mistakes I did as a teen.

I'm certain it's exactly like I said right above your post. I know because I wrote a very similar satire when I was in high school for an english assignment, back when I was a republican style racist, upset at the hypocrisy of having to be colorblind on some issues about race, while celebrating diversity in other issues.

I even used the "Where's my Caucasian stuff?" style statement hoping people would call me racist so I can say something like "now we're racist if we aren't colorblind about food? You're proving the point of my satire".

For the record I was called a racist for that assignment and they were right to. It's one of those high school moments I wish I could do over. I actually feel a lot better now seeing that grown adults with a high profile writing job making the same mistakes I did as a teen.
Except it is not a mistake for him. Fox "fans" probably view that as a clever bit like something from the Daily Show.

Our stores have many sections. Asian foods section, Kosher section, IIRC an "ethnic" section. I don't just mean grouped, the sign says so.

Of course, it's Los Angeles, so there's that.

Chumly

Is raising a child really as expensive as this site calculates? I get $660 per month for one child. Is that how much food, clothes, and misc. will cost?

Yes I would say it's pretty accurate for the most part. If you average out all your purchases, healthcare, child care etc etc. I got a lot more than you did and I feel it's about what were going to spend on my son this year.

Christie's lawyer: Governor not involved in plot

NEW YORK (AP) — Gov. Chris Christie was not involved in a plot to create gridlock near a major bridge in a scheme directed at a mayor, lawyers hired by the administration reported Thursday while also defending the integrity of their internal review amid separate federal and legislative investigations.

The taxpayer-funded report released by former federal prosecutor Randy Mastro relied on interviews with Christie and other officials in his administration and 250,000 documents, many of them emails and text messages. But the key figures in the plot would not cooperate with Mastro's investigation, leading Democrats to question the credibility of the report and its thoroughness.
http://news.yahoo.com/christies-lawyer-governor-not-involved-plot-153400161--politics.html

I don't even understand the point of this. No one is going believe that report because they hired the people to do it and now everyone is going to be mad at them for blowing a million on a report that no one believes. It just seems like he dug his hole deeper.

Wilsongt

http://news.yahoo.com/christies-lawyer-governor-not-involved-plot-153400161--politics.html

I don't even understand the point of this. No one is going believe that report because they hired the people to do it and now everyone is going to be mad at them for blowing a million on a report that no one believes. It just seems like he dug his hole deeper.

Well, duh. Of course lawyers you higher are going to not find any evidence of you doing something. What a waste of money.

Can someone explain to me the George Soros fascination on the right?

The Left is clearly fixated on the Koch brothers. But I can explain that one . . . they run conglomerates with oil services and other oil biz aspects. Thus, they like to fund and elect people that are against green energy (because it is competition) and are against pollution regulations (because that costs them money). Thus, it is a simple Koch Brothers support things that are not so good for the public but make the Koch brothers more money.

What is the theory about George Soros?

(They have a theory about Warren Buffet that I understand but I'm not sure if it is just an accident . . . the fact that Obama not approving Keystone XL helps Buffet make money because his railroads profit.)

They didn't even interview any of the key witnesses, such as Bridget Anne Kelly. And they discounted anything that might be troubling to the Governor, such as Wildstein's claim that he told Christie about the lane closures as they were happening and Mayor Dawn Zimmer's claims, by calling them liars. Also, none of the interviewed parties swore to anything they said. The sole purpose of this enterprise was to give Christie positive headlines for a day.

This taxpayer-funded $1 million "investigation" should be a scandal in and of itself.

Yes I would say it's pretty accurate for the most part. If you average out all your purchases, healthcare, child care etc etc. I got a lot more than you did and I feel it's about what were going to spend on my son this year.

Wow. Had no idea kids could be that expensive.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

The Left is clearly fixated on the Koch brothers. But I can explain that one . . . they run conglomerates with oil services and other oil biz aspects. Thus, they like to fund and elect people that are against green energy (because it is competition) and are against pollution regulations (because that costs them money). Thus, it is a simple Koch Brothers support things that are not so good for the public but make the Koch brothers more money.

(They have a theory about Warren Buffet that I understand but I'm not sure if it is just an accident . . . the fact that Obama not approving Keystone XL helps Buffet make money because his railroads profit.)

Well he's a currency trader, that might want a weak US dollar and thus wants US to print a lot of money, and he's linked to ACORN which you probably know the right's problem with that.

But mostly it has to do with his donations/investments in Huffington Post, Media Matters, and MoveOn.org which puts him a bit closer to Rupert Murdoch than the Koch brothers as an analogy.

Obviously all on top of the general notion that they spend money to legitimize illegitimate ideas, while we spend money to fight for what's best for America.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Aw man.

Workers who aspire to climb the management ladder strive for the opportunity to move from hourly-wage, crew-level positions to salaried management positions with performance-based incentives. What they lose in overtime pay they gain in the stature and sense of accomplishment that comes from being a salaried manager.

The CEO of Carl's Jr. (I think some of you heathens in the non-California part of the country refer to it as "Hardee's") said that. But that's like my favorite fast food place, yo! :(

kehs

Banned

They love their false equivalence.

Rich guy who leans left = Right guy who leans right.

It amazes me at how people still get upset over things Stephen Colbert says. Watching a tweet that was posted under his account that riled up some angry twitterers over what amounts to an example of why the Washington Redskins name is fucking terrible.

GhaleonEB

We do have Carl's Jr. in Arizona and Colorado. We did have a Hardee's in Omaha, never went there though.

Hardee's is a midwestern chain, it was purchased by Carl's Jr. in the late 90's. They're basically the same now; Carl's Jr. adopted the best thing from Hardee's (their breakfast biscuits) and Hardee's adopted the rest of Carl's Jr. menu.

Hardee's was my first job in high school. They kinda started my career in business: Went to shift manager at Hardee's, hopped to assistant manager at Arby's, then store manager at an arcade (Namco's Aladdin's Castle), then to college and a finance career. Thanks, Hardee's!

Oblivion

I have no idea how you could make that assumption.:p

I glossed over some random interview a while back and he sounded like he was creating a propaganda piece.

But who has time to read EVERYTHING in an interview, am I right?

edit: Plus I heard Bill Maher and a buncha other lefties ragging on it, so I thought this was supposed to be for Republicans.

Carl's, Aaron.

Carl's.
Nah, it's a Hardee's. Though I'm pretty sure we have Carl's Jr. written on most of our stuff anyway.

Politico is speculating Rep. Mike Rogers (MI-8) will announce his plans to retire tomorrow. Rogers comes from a district that Obama won in 2008 (52-46) but Romney won in 2012 (51-48), which would be a big break for the Democrats if they could get a good candidate in the race *coughGretchenWhitmercough*

Overly optimistic Aaron Strife would be saying right now that Democrats can pick up AR-2, CA-21/25/31, CO-6, FL-2/13, IA-3, IL-13, LA-6, MI-1/8/11, NE-2, NJ-3, NY-11/19, PA-6, VA-10, WV-2 and barely win a majority, but we all know the score.

Tamanon said:
Carl's Jr:Hardees::Krystal's:White Castle
I want a White Castle in my college town so bad. The nearest one is like 30 miles out in the middle of nowhere.

benjipwns

Banned
I glossed over some random interview a while back and he sounded like he was creating a propaganda piece.

But who has time to read EVERYTHING in an interview, am I right?

edit: Plus I heard Bill Maher and a buncha other lefties ragging on it, so I thought this was supposed to be for Republicans.
Darren Aronofsky is the guy behind Pi, Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, The Wrestler, The Black Swan. (Should have called this "The Noah" clearly.)

That said, Christian-lite films tend to do pretty well among many groups, Passion of the Christ being the notable hardcore Christian exception, but stuff like Bruce Almighty, Evan Almighty*, The Blind Side did well. Even a number of those smaller budget deliberately Christian films that are still pretty Christian-lite or EPIC FILMS tend to do well outside of just heavy Christians. (EPIC FILMS Passion of the Christ probably tapped into.)

Oh, and God's Not Dead is going to make billions because of its quality writing and riveting yet personally familiar storyline. But usually the true and strong Christian stuff goes nowhere except to the Hallmark Channel or something. Noah's a big-budget picture with notable current stars.

*If you discount how much it fucking cost.

Darren Aronofsky is the guy behind Pi, Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, The Wrestler, The Black Swan. (Should have called this "The Noah" clearly.)

That said, Christian-lite films tend to do pretty well among many groups, Passion of the Christ being the notable hardcore Christian exception, but stuff like Bruce Almighty, Evan Almighty*, The Blind Side did well. Even a number of those smaller budget deliberately Christian films that are still pretty Christian-lite or EPIC FILMS tend to do well outside of just heavy Christians. (EPIC FILMS Passion of the Christ probably tapped into.)

Oh, and God's Not Dead is going to make billions because of its quality writing and riveting yet personally familiar storyline. But usually the true and strong Christian stuff goes nowhere except to the Hallmark Channel or something. Noah's a big-budget picture with notable current stars.

*If you discount how much it fucking cost.

Hey, Blind Side isn't Christian-Lite, it's White People Save The Day!

Oblivion, with a name like Aronofsky, come on! Evangelical!? I guess it's possible.

Plus, you should know him for his movies, by now.

I find it hilarious some people are going into the movie thinking it will be a literal translation cuz they obviously don't know about the director (granted, without seeing it I'm also pretty sure he isn't disparaging the Noah story, either).

benjipwns

Banned
Their test screenings had a bit of a pre-existing bias issue:
"Worrisome" feedback from largely religious audiences at test screenings in October 2013 led The Hollywood Reporter to report on tensions between Aronofsky and Paramount over control of the final cut.[39][40] Aronofsky said that he was very unhappy with Paramount testing alternate versions of Noah that were not 'true to his vision': "I was upset - of course. No one has ever done that to me. I imagine if I made comedies and horror films, it would be helpful. In dramas, it's very, very hard to do. I've never been open to it. I don't believe that." After much discussion and compromise, the studio announced on February 12 that Darren Aronofsky's version, not any of the studio's alternate versions, will be the final cut of Noah.[41] "They tried what they wanted to try, and eventually they came back. My version of the film hasn't been tested... It's what we wrote and what was greenlighted," Aronofsky said. It will not be test screened until post production is finished, as per Aronofsky's wishes.[42] In a survey conducted on February 17, 2014 showed that 98% of the members of Faith Driven Consumer, a Christian church organization, are "not satisfied with Hollywood's take on religious stories such as "Noah"".[43] However, the survey was given to people who had not actually seen the film and were voting based on speculation. Paramount criticised Variety for their "inaccurate" report on their survey conduction. In the film's defense, the studio unveiled new survey studies from Nielsen's National Research Group and The Barna Group that 83% of "very religious" film-goers are interested in the film, while "86% of Christian respondents who are aware of the film said they would recommend 'Noah' to their friends."[44]

Also:
At a presentation in Nashville at the annual convention of the National Religious Broadcasters (NRB), the organization’s president, Jerry Johnson, called on the producers of the upcoming movie Noah to include a disclaimer at the beginning of the film similar to the one that preceded the 1998 film The Prince of Egypt, saying the film is “an adaptation” of the Exodus story. Johnson said he had seen the entire movie and found much to commend. “It takes some major biblical themes seriously, including sin, judgment, righteousness, and God as Creator,” he said. Johnson added, though, that the movie seemed to promote theistic evolution and it had “too much emphasis on environmental abuse.” Johnson’s bottom line: “This is not a buy-up-a-block-of-tickets moment for churches. However, many people will go to this film and enjoy it. Christians should be ready to engage with them about the main biblical themes portrayed in the film: sin, judgment, salvation.”

Oblivion

Hey, Blind Side isn't Christian-Lite, it's White People Save The Day!

Oblivion, with a name like Aronofsky, come on! Evangelical!? I guess it's possible.

Plus, you should know him for his movies, by now.

Well you should also know I'm pretty horrible when it comes to watching movies.

I saw Kill Bill Vol. 2 for the first time ever today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom