• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Not to be a dick or anything, but I'm getting quite tired of major websites taking my stories without crediting me. #firstworldproblems

Getting Credit is for Snobs *obamanotbadface.jpg*

Link, man! Link!
No link yet, just this pic from the scene:
original-17094-1398653856-6.jpg

EDIT: damn, that is a big JPEG!

Mostly is shameful, also shameful is howuin democratic the Senate can be 54% of senators (and 56% of those voting) want to proceed with a bill to help the least off among us? Sorry end of the line.

End the fillibuster.

Speaking of the filibuster, has Obama nominated a shit-load of judges and department heads yet?

Only the Dems would do something so stupid as doing the 'nuclear option' but then not taking advantage of it.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Speaking of the filibuster, has Obama nominated a shit-load of judges and department heads yet?

Last I heard they only managed to get through around five justices since then.

Only the Dems would do something so stupid as doing the 'nuclear option' but then not taking advantage of it.

This is depressingly accurate.

kehs

Banned

3D Chess Takes time.

Or is that 4D Chess now.

I was in Gujarat when those riots happened. While I think Modi should apologize for them, he is not responsible for them. But the work done in the state in last 12 years has been great.

If Congress had just allowed Man Mohan Singh and Chidambram to do as they would without the influence of Gandhi family, I would support Congress.
As the CM of Gujarat, why didn't he declare curfew as soon as the riots broke out? I'm not saying he caused the riots. But as a CM, he could have done more to stop them as they were happening. Instead he was hunkered in his mansion for two days. The treatment of Muslims after the riots is reminiscent of ghettoization of Jews in Germany.
Over the last decade, minority ghettos in Gujarat have swelled to the seams especially in urban areas where Muslims are forced to settle in search of security and employment.

The divide is most distinct in Ahmedabad where it is impossible to find an urban dwelling with mixed communities. Before 2002, ghettos did exist, but there were several incidences of families comfortably living in non-Muslim ghettos. Today, even one such instance would be exemplary.

"There is no clear stated rule anywhere, so you will find very few Muslims who are members of these clubs, but there is a visible discomfort. This was not there before 2002," says tax consultant VA Isaani.

Discrimination to some extent can be seen in schools as well, says Congress leader and developer in the city's central zone JV Momin. He minces no words in stating that the society is totally divided since the 2002 riots and ghettoisation has increased.

"It is very dangerous for Gujarat," he cautions. "Some so called elite schools do not admit Muslim children, unless parents give a major donation or use some influence," he says.

Social activist Hanif Lakdawala says, a HC judge living in Vastrapur was pressurized in 2002 to move out of his home; he now lives in Paldi. "This was the benchmark incident. There are stray incidences of senior Muslim executives of MNCs put up near Vastrapur lake in flats bought by the company, but they have no interaction with the community. Basically there is no integration in the society," he said.

Comparing Gujarat's ghettos with the discrimination in the US on racial lines with Blacks, Momin says any minority community goes into a huddled due to a sense of insecurity.

"There are at least 25-30,000 people who cannot still return to their village homes and farms for work. They are therefore forced to live in such ghettos," he rues.
Is this what we should expect of Modi's India? The largest democracy in the world, but only for non-Muslims?

What exactly is the senate doing? They could easily push through a bunch of judges, there's nothing else to do.

But then again Lehey seems intent on honoring the "blue slip" home senator consideration, which allows senators to essentially hold up nominations.

I'd much rather confirm 100 judges than commute the sentences of 100 alleged drug offenders. Obviously I support the justice department's decision but judges should be a priority.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
lol, Ginsburg on the recent decision about the EPA rules explaining why we need air pollution rules to apply to all states:

“The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth.”

KingK

BTW 195 reps just voted for medical marijuana for vets.

speaking of marijuana decriminalization, does anyone know how employers in states like Colorado are reacting now that it's legal? Do they still drug test for every position? Here in Indiana just about every job that's not minimum wage, and a good amount of minimum wage jobs, all require drug tests for employment and do random drug testing.

bonercop

Well, he did try to nominate 2 crazy-ass rightwingers to Georgia's district courts in a display of ~*post-partisanship*~. Did those nominees ever get through?

Just watched the Iron Lady.

Never new about the poll tax in the UK. What a horrible policy, how could anyone think its fair besides rich people? Its a Republican's dream though. And they didn't even go back to rates? They caped the taxes? Why?

Maybe there's an alternate universe somewhere where the Iron Lady ends with Thatcher dying in the Brighton Hotel bombing in 1984, but we live in a cruel universe.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Maybe there's an alternate universe somewhere where the Iron Lady ends with Thatcher dying in the Brighton Hotel bombing in 1984, but we live in a cruel universe.

Hard to believe it's already been a year since Satan called her home. That's one pit she wont be closing :v

Of course I was joking, good riddance to Maggie but a good number of innocent people died in the Brighton bombings which is awful. Norman Tebbit's wife is permanently disabled because of it if I recall correctly. The IRA's other high profile assassinations of Lord Mountbatten in 1979 and Ian Gow in 1990 were really awful too.

But unfortunately it would've been very difficult for her to lose in the 80s. The Labour and SDP split in 1981 caused the moderate left and radical left to split in two. It essentially divided the vote and left infighting gave the UK 18 years of conservative government.

Of course I was joking, good riddance to Maggie but a good number of innocent people died in the Brighton bombings which is awful. Norman Tebbit's wife is permanently disabled because of it if I recall correctly. The IRA's other high profile assassinations of Lord Mountbatten in 1979 and Ian Gow in 1990 were really awful too.

But unfortunately it would've been very difficult for her to lose in the 80s. The Labour and SDP split in 1981 caused the moderate left and radical left to split in two. It essentially divided the vote and left infighting gave the UK 18 years of conservative government.

I think her policies were outright viciously vile. Almost worst than Reagan (I think the poll tax puts her over. The US never really had what the UK had). At least she didn't touch health care.

I mean I think there were a lot with the problems with the left, they probably deserved to lose, but Thatcher took advantages and gutted things that didn't need to be gutted.

BTW the movie is shit, absolutely horrible, razzy material IMO. Streep is great though, brilliant actress. Too bad they had this crap script. Half the movie is a senile lady being crazy talking to her dead husband

How did I miss this gem of a stupid article form the new 538

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/are-white-republicans-more-racist-than-white-democrats/

He should have stopped when he wrote this:

Two warnings about this data. First, survey responses are an imperfect means of evaluating racism. Social desirability bias may discourage Americans from expressing their true feelings. Furthermore, the sample of Democrats and Republicans in the survey is not constant from year to year. If the partisan gap in racial attitudes toward blacks has widened slightly in the past few years, it may be because white racists have become more likely to identify themselves as Republican, and not because those Americans who already identified themselves as Republican have become any more racist.

I've never seen someone throw the credibility out the window as fast as Nate. At this rate I don't even know if I'll look at his polling, I don't trust him to resist the ESPN influence.

Shosai

Banned
How did I miss this gem of a stupid article form the new 538

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/are-white-republicans-more-racist-than-white-democrats/

He should have stopped when he wrote this:

I've never seen someone throw the credibility out the window as fast as Nate. At this rate I don't even know if I'll look at his polling, I don't trust him to resist the ESPN influence.

I don't think it's that crazy to try and assume that some people might lie to pollsters when it comes to embarrassing personal questions.

US prosecutors, regulators reportedly working on new strategy to bring charges without damaging economy
Federal prosecutors are moving closer to getting criminal charges brought against some of the world’s biggest banks, The New York Times reported Wednesday.

If the move leads to a guilty plea, it would represent the first such criminal admission of guilt from a major bank in more than two decades.

Washington and New York prosecutors have held meetings with regulators aimed at figuring out a way to bring criminal charges against so-called too-big-to-fail banks without damaging the economy or putting the banks out of business, lawyers briefed on the matter reportedly told the Times.

Two of the most advanced investigations are focused on Swiss bank Credit Suisse, for offering tax shelters to Americans, and France’s biggest bank, BNP Paribas, for doing business with countries the U.S. has blacklisted, according to the Times.

Representatives for BNP and Credit Suisse declined to comment for the Times report.

But on Wednesday, BNP warned investors that it may be hit with a fine in excess of the $1.1 billion it has set aside to cover litigation costs resulting from alleged sanction busting.

Prosecutors in Manhattan and Washington hope to obtain a criminal guilty plea from the parent company of BNP, which has a sizable investment bank in New York.

Lawyers briefed on the matter said prosecutors met in April with the bank’s American regulators, the Federal Reserve Bank of New York and Benjamin M. Lawsky, New York’s top financial regulator. Prosecutors involved in the investigation — Preet Bharara, the U.S. attorney in Manhattan; David O’Neil, the head of the Justice Department’s criminal division in Washington; and Cyrus Vance Jr., Manhattan district attorney — left the meeting feeling “reassured,” the Times reported.

Their plan was to impose harsh penalties against BNP, which has not yet been accused of any wrongdoing, and some of its employees — but to do so without revoking the bank’s license. The Fed’s board in Washington must approve the final decision.

Such investigations into American banks are “expected” but are currently “at an earlier stage,” according to the Times.

The cases will hinge on the cooperation of regulators charged with maintaining federal guidelines, which require prosecutors to weigh the broader economic consequences of bringing such charges against large banks.

American and European banks are divided among a patchwork of agencies in New York and Washington, so “while regulators might be philosophically aligned with prosecutors, some feel bound by rules that govern their response to criminal charges,” the Times said.

This dynamic has created a “gaping liability loophole that blameworthy companies are only too willing to exploit,” Bharara said in a recent speech to Wall Street lawyers.

Warnings of economic fallout and lost jobs have largely prevented the prosecution of big banks.

Ted Kaufman, a former U.S. senator from Delaware who worked on legislation to restore the credibility of financial markets in the aftermath of the last recession, wrote in Forbes last year that, historically at least, the punishment of executives themselves has not result in lasting damage to the economy. He cited the scores of executives who were jailed after the 2002 Enron collapse and the 1980s savings and loan scandal.

He said the behavior of some on Wall Street did lead directly to millions of Americans losing jobs or homes — and "we must do all we can to make sure this doesn't happen again.

"Criminal prosecutions are not just about punishing the guilty. They also send a message that we as a society will not allow similar misconduct in the future," Kaufman said.
Hoping something tangible comes out of this.

Chichikov

Just watched the Iron Lady.

Never new about the poll tax in the UK. What a horrible policy, how could anyone think its fair besides rich people? Its a Republican's dream though. And they didn't even go back to rates? They caped the taxes? Why?
Thatcher was a terrible human being, much more than Reagan.
Reagan was a dumbass actor who got his ass kicked by some union people when he was young and believed that the commies are coming to take america any moment.
He believed his bullshit, but Thatcher knew what she was doing, she was just a fucking evil, thanks god she ruled over a rather insignificant country so her damage was rather contained (though she did manage to spread her horrible influence to Argentina and South Africa).

I don't usually celebrate people's death, even those I disagree with violently, but I flew halfway across the world to toast her demise.
Ding dong bitch, may your memory be shat on for all time, you cunt.

I don't think it's that crazy to try and assume that some people might lie to pollsters when it comes to embarrassing personal questions.

I don't either, I think its the standard. It should be expected. My issue is Nate then uses compromised data that has little value to the question he's asking.

Its the opposite of what his book exhorted. Which was using data properly

Thatcher was a terrible human being, much more than Reagan.
Reagan was a dumbass actor who got his ass kicked by some union people when he was young and believed that the commies are coming to take america any moment.
He believed his bullshit, but Thatcher knew what she was doing, she was just a fucking evil, thanks god she ruled over a rather insignificant country so her damage was rather contained (though she did manage to spread her horrible influence to Argentina and South Africa).

I really think thatcher is one of the only politicians who I can say I actively think was a bad person. I don't think Reagan was. Thatcher, at least in the economic sphere, was. I still can't get over how vile the poll tax is in its viciousness and spite towards the poor which she seemed to share (At least in the US the politicians I think don't want to actively hurt them, they're just blinded by ideology.). Its an evil policy. The only think I admire her for was not backing down and challenge the male dominated sphere in Britain

I don't know how I feel about the Falklands. I think they are British and should remain so but is it really worth fighting a war that kills 1,000 people for them? I admit I haven't done much research but the movie seems to portray her decision as driven almost purely by pride.

The movie is very neutral but even with a neutral portrayal I can't help but come away feeling a negative feeling about her. I just can't find anything she did that was positive. I mean I oppose a lot of the stuff labour did in the 70s but she went and did even worse things.

Chichikov

Easy, take top executives, put them in jail, real jail, for a long ass time.
Banks get to keep operating, savings are safe, and the next asshole who run those banks will pretty strong incentive to make damn sure such crap doesn't happen.

We should still fix the too big to fail issue (seriously, there should be a strong public outcry to bring back Glass-Steagall) but stopping such abuses can be achieved by nothing more than prosecutors with balls.

Piecake

Easy, take top executives, put them in jail, real jail, for a long ass time.
Banks get to keep operating, savings are safe, and the next asshole who run those banks will pretty strong incentive to make damn sure such crap doesn't happen.

We should still fix the too big to fail issue (seriously, there should be a strong public outcry to bring back Glass-Steagall) but stopping such abuses can be achieved by nothing more than prosecutors with balls.

That wouldnt work. I mean, the reason why those top executives get paid tens of millions of dollars a year is because they are obviously indispensable. The whole system would collapse without them

Obama has never been against the death penalty. His justice department also seeks it. I really hope we have a president that commutes all death sentences someday (if the court doesn't outlaw it)

That wouldnt work. I mean, the reason why those top executives get paid tens of millions of dollars a year is because they are obviously indispensable. The whole system would collapse without them

You got me. I was reading this thinking wtf and then I got to the end... hahaha

Chichikov

The only think I admire her for was not backing down and challenge the male dominated sphere in Britain
Thatcher should get no credit for women rights.
Yeah, when she was seeking office she pushed the point of "a woman can get things done" but that was a tactical move to get women to vote for her. In her 11 years she had one female cabinet members (and it was to a junior position) and she opposed anti-discrimination laws and blocked childcare provisions.

You're a better poster than this, WM.

Hmm I guess it does sound callous even though I wasn't serious, but you have to realize that there are still communities in the north of England and Scotland who are in poverty and had their lives destroyed when Thatcher closed down the pits in the 80s. It was horrible and it didn't help that Thatcher turned the British army and law enforcement into partisan tools in order to crush the miners strike in 1985.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom