• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most shocking part of the article:

All this sturm und drang over a less than $0.50/hr parking fee. Jesus H. W. Christ.

$5 parking ticket! What the fuck! For $5, I'd ignore the meters if I was there for 4 hours...

It's usually a quarter per 15 min here with 2 hours max.

Parking fines are really high, not fucking $5! hard to even park in a lot for $5 for 1 hour!

Manarola

Banned
Libertarian warriors are the fucking worst people on the planet

They have to be the most annoying political group on the planet. Having these people in some of my classes is just the worst. Not because I necessarily disagree with everything they have to say, but they just sound like a broken record and have this ridiculous sense of self-righteousness.

They have to be the most annoying political group on the planet. Having these people in some of my classes is just the worst. Not because I necessarily disagree with everything they have to say, but they just sound like a broken record and have this ridiculous sense of self-righteousness.
I don't really care about the beliefs - I'm as liberal as they come and I've met some very nice people (some I consider friends!) who are opposed to just about everything I believe in. And there are some tenants of libertarian ideology that I find attractive if highly idealized.

But it does require living in a bubble essentially so it's not surprising that most libertarians I met were actually always assholes and just found a belief system that embraces that. It's the hipster nation of politics.

Retro

Libertarian warriors are the fucking worst people on the planet

You know, these two-dozen 'young people' with all that free time to follow, film and harass meter maids and pay for people's parking to spite the city government could do a whole hell of a lot more good volunteering their time to help those in need, and all that loose change could feed the homeless. But no, keep on being obnoxious and saying detestable shit to war veterans because you took a political science class at community college and think you know how the world works. Make sure you're watching those meter maids when it's time to vote while you're at it.

KingK

After thinking about it more, I really think it has to be the Ukraine situation becoming bigger than just Crimea.

Yeah, that's the only thing I could think of too, I just didn't think people cared enough about it to affect the numbers like that. I guess weeks of Republicans shouting for Obama to "do something!!!!" (without saying what that something is, other that stuff he's already done) is starting to pay off.

Trouble

Banned
$5 parking ticket! What the fuck! For $5, I'd ignore the meters if I was there for 4 hours...

It's usually a quarter per 15 min here with 2 hours max.

Parking fines are really high, not fucking $5! hard to even park in a lot for $5 for 1 hour!

Seriously. If I lived somewhere with a $5 parking ticket, I'd STFU and count my blessings.

I'm gonna disagree with PD on his "cycling through talking points" theory. The GOP is pivoting to Benghazi because the thing with Bundy blew up in their faces. As for Obamacare, I'm sure they'll still run on it but you can't deny they've moderated their language considerably. It's not "repeal" anymore, it's "reform."

It's not that the law is popular (it's not) but I think many voters see it as a first step, as something we needed even if it has problems of its own. The fact that the GOP has wasted so much time on it has to be grating.

And for how far-out something like immigration reform is, who the fuck actually thinks Obamacare is going to repealed anytime soon? Even if the GOP won the majority in the Senate, Obama would still be president for 2 more years. And even if his successor was a Republican (which chances are low of if Hillary gets in), that Senate majority would be extremely vulnerable in 2016. That fantasy died when Obama was reelected and Democrats expanded their Senate majority in 2012.

Really hoping North Carolina's GOP primary goes into a runoff tonight. Thom Tillis isn't a great candidate but he's much better than Greg Brannon.

I see Bundy as a Joe The Plumber-esque blip in the road that happened to bomb miserably. It was something that had very little appeal to regular voters and was used to fire up the base. Since its implosion the GOP has moved back to Benghazi, which has been a long standing issue that fires up the base while being ignored by regular voters. But sooner or later they'll return to Obamacare. Perhaps once the SC verdict on birth control comes out, for instance.

I'd disagree on the reform language. Right now, multiple candidates are still running on full repeal. The House and Senate leadership continues to harp on it, and republican candidates in states like Michigan are still arguing for it. I noticed Tom Cotton seems surprisingly hesitant about Obamacare in Arkansas, which I don't understand. Maybe because the Medicaid expansion is done with private insurers, thus invalidating the "free healthcare" meme?

FyreWulff

Red light cameras are illegal in Nebraska. So of course Iowa across the river has them on hair triggers to get money from Omaha drivers.

What Nebraska isn't doing right is the governor race right now. I can barely call it an election when it's all Republican candidates.

I'd disagree on the reform language. Right now, multiple candidates are still running on full repeal. The House and Senate leadership continues to harp on it, and republican candidates in states like Michigan are still arguing for it. I noticed Tom Cotton seems surprisingly hesitant about Obamacare in Arkansas, which I don't understand. Maybe because the Medicaid expansion is done with private insurers, thus invalidating the "free healthcare" meme?
Mm Terri Lynn Land has been extremely wishy-washy. And Dailykos had a story recently about how several GOP candidates' websites for House and Senate have pivoted away from full repeal to highlight elements.

The point isn't so much that they're pro-repeal, it's how much it's going to factor in their campaigns. There are several states where the Democrats will have a much easier time running on Obamacare rather than away from it, like Arkansas as you mentioned or Kentucky.

Mm Terri Lynn Land has been extremely wishy-washy. And Dailykos had a story recently about how several GOP candidates' websites for House and Senate have pivoted away from full repeal to highlight elements.

The point isn't so much that they're pro-repeal, it's how much it's going to factor in their campaigns. There are several states where the Democrats will have a much easier time running on Obamacare rather than away from it, like Arkansas as you mentioned or Kentucky.

Land was on the repeal bandwagon as of late March, when that article came out. I haven't seen anything since then that suggests a drastic change in position. Her flip flop was on the Medicaid expansion initially, but considering our republican governor fought to ensure it passed...it's not surprising she supports it now.

I guess my point is that the repeal movement is still very much alive and most republican candidates are placing their bets on it. Even Mitch McConnell, who hasn't flinched an inch despite the law working in Kentucky. Speaking of which, Grimes needs to do a way better job on this. It should be an easy talking point to run on, whether she wants to call it KyNect or ACA.

benjipwns

Banned
Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi
I'm convinced.

Chichikov

Shocking, the Check your privilege guy was bankrolled by conservatives

http://gawker.com/conservative-mone...m_source=gawker_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Oh and he's said horrible things

BmuNm_rCYAAYtzO.png

You left out the best one -

JbvTQXu.png

ALEtmCx.gif

Diablos

wtf @ generic ballot. Pew is the gold standard of midterm election polling. They were spot on last time. I sincerely doubt there's enough time to turn it around. What's especially disturbing is that they seem to be polling better than they were in 2010. You have got to be fucking kidding me. I figured 2010 was the height of tea party lunacy...

We're fucked. How can Americans want to support the GOP after all this? Seriously? Is it more because so many other Americans are turned off by midterms in general while the GOP makes sure they vote? I am finding it so hard to believe MORE Americans want to support them today.

Is OFA going to be more involved this time around? Dems could really use the push.

Also I do not buy for one second that the GOP is backing off repeal. Perhaps right now they are. But a Senate majority might make them all start beating the drum again, Boehner and McMorris Rodgers included. They might say the 'fight is lost' but if they win back the Senate they'll act like they won the White House. Can you imagine another shutdown with the GOP controlling both the House and Senate? It would be worse than the last one, and it might happen. What happens when they keep sending Obama bills that have repeal language and he keeps vetoing them? It would get messy really fast. Constitutional/treasury option actually might happen at some point before 2016 guys...

Democrats have to pour every ounce of everything they have into every Senate race. Otherwise the new Senate majority will have the face of loons like the pig castrating candidate from Iowa. Please don't tell me she has a chance of winning the primary btw?

I knew the GOP was in a good position this year, but to see them doing better than they were in 2010 in a Pew poll... I just... I can't find the words...

#isthisreallife

Zen

Banned
The problem with corporate personhood is not in the legalese used to justify it under the law and has everything to do with the issues that arise when you do not distinguish (in practice) between rights granted to the individual and monolithic corporations.

Corporations have not ever required true personhood, non profit organizations has gotten by just fine under the distinction of being artificial entities, and the reason that they are designated as such is because they did not spend millions buying the right to corporate personhood through the courts and lobbying efforts so that they could enjoy perks that they neither need nor deserve.

benjipwns

Banned
non profit organizations has gotten by just fine under the distinction of being artificial entities, and the reason that they are designated as such is because they did not spend millions buying the right to corporate personhood through the courts and lobbying efforts so that they could enjoy perks that they neither need nor deserve.
They're almost all corporations...

Citizens United is a non-profit.

Diablos

The American public should be ashamed for not wanting to adopt a strong worker's rights movement. So many things would tie into it: wages, healthcare, job security, tort law...and not to mention sticking it to 'corporate personhood' once and for all. I feel like this should be an existential type of fight for most working Americans, but... no. It isn't. And that is a tragedy like so many other things people thumb their noses at, not realizing they are only hurting themselves.

CU is non-profit but they are advancing the interests of corporations.

I mean I'm a Sony fanboy (well, I'm older now and don't really care as much but just for an example), I can band together with other Sony fanboys on GAF and help advance their agenda even though I have absolutely nothing to do with Sony. I'm just a citizen supporting what I love! See?!

Ugh, the more I think about American society the more I think about someone who is willing to submit themselves to having their head dunked in a toilet all day. It's like people are programmed to get off to their own loathing of anything in society that can help people have a better quality of life -- their own lives included.

benjipwns

Banned
Citizens United is a non-profit, but the ruling advanced the interest of corporations.
Well, yeah, because pretty much all non-profits are corporations.

The only difference between non-profits and for-profits is the specifics of how the law bothers with them. They're both still corporations.

Well, yeah, because pretty much all non-profits are corporations.

The only difference between non-profits and for-profits is the specifics of how the law bothers with them. They're both still corporations.

And hence arms of the state. As regards corporations, we should maintain control over them based on what activities they are engaged in, less so based on whether they are for-profit or non-profit (although that can be a relevant consideration).

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
As much fun as that whole little nuanced and spirited debate on corporate personhood you guys had all day yesterday was, I must say it's nice to get back to a sense of normalcy and move the political discussion back to familiar terrority - invoking Godwin's Law at every opportunity:

A Tennessee state senator thinks it’s unwise for the Obama administration to brag about how many Americans have signed up for health insurance under the Affordable Care Act, likening it to the Nazis touting how many Jews were shipped off to concentration camps.

State Sen. Stacey Campfield (R-Tenn.) made the comment on his personal blog Monday morning in a post called, “Thought of the day”:

“Democrats bragging about the number of mandatory sign ups for Obamacare is like Germans bragging about the number of mandatiry [sic] sign ups for ‘train rides’ for Jews in the 40s.”

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/again-the-nazi-analogies

benjipwns

Banned
less so based on whether they are for-profit or non-profit (although that can be a relevant consideration).
I don't really see why "profit" status matters much as regarding one corporations regulations on all the others.

"Non-profits" make "profit" and spend billions on influencing policy too. It's just how they've incorporated requires different accounting.

That seems to support my worries more than ease them. It's just further proof that the shift to republicans being popularly favored isn't a result of an outlier poll but an actual shift in public opinion.

As for the senate poll the wording is:

I think that "if" muddies that stat too much to make any good analysis of it.

Yeah, it's too dependent on the idea of voters being able not just to make decisions based on multiple variables, but to track and follow those multiple variables. No voter is going to vote R in the House, but D in the Senate just to preserve this ideal balance.

Jooney

So can the Greece decision be seen as a precursor of what to expect from the Hobby Lobby case?

Also I like what Dahlia Lithwick had to say about yesterday's decision:

“To hold that invocations must be nonsectarian,” Kennedy wrote for the five-justice plurality, “would force the legislatures that sponsor prayers and the courts that are asked to decide these cases to act as supervisors and censors of religious speech.” In other words, not only did the court move the goal posts—from now on sectarian prayer will be permissible until it isn’t—but it also threw out the rule book and benched all the refs. From now on, says the court, it’s improper for government or judicial officers to second-guess the motives of the prayer policy or the prayer giver. To the extent the court ever played a role in ensuring that minority religious rights were not trammeled by well-meaning majorities who fervently believe that here in America we are all basically just country-club Judeo-Christians with different hairstyles, the jig is up: From now on we just do as the religious majorities say, so long as nobody is being damned or converted.

Whose responsibility is it to enforce the establishment clause if not the courts?

So can the Greece decision be seen as a precursor of what to expect from the Hobby Lobby case?

Also I like what Dahlia Lithwick had to say about yesterday's decision:

Whose responsibility is it to enforce the establishment clause if not the courts?
Its a precursor in the sense it reveals Kennedy can't put his own religious upbringing aside when deciding cases (see Kennedys hang up on abortions in oral arguments). But I don't see how that passage reveals anything about the hobby lobby case. The court has never questioned religious sincerity really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom