• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
James A. Bretney4 hours ago

So Jon Stewart is conflating Benghazi with Iraq - a war that is over. I guess the facts of Obama's performance in Benghazi are too much for him to deal with.
DocSavage473 hours ago

CliffsNotes version: you can only be upset about Benghazi if you were upset about Iraq. (or worse case: don’t care about Benghazi because Iraq happened)
Jon Stewart annihilated like the proper fitting into the frame of that video.

Can't wait to see O'Reilly tear his weaksauce "comedy" apart again.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Can I get some bullet points? I'm at work, can't watch.

Basically

a.)Admitting that Rice and the White House could have handled the initial release about Benghazi better

b.)but going in on the Fox heads for out and out defending various Bush officials making similar or worse misrepresentations of information about the Iraq war

benjipwns

Banned
What is the summary of the argument against? All I ever hear is curriculum issues but I didn't think it dictates curriculum.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi..._disregards_the_creativity_of_federalism.html
GEORGE WILL: The advocates of the Common Core say, if you like local control of your schools, you can keep it, period. If you like your local curriculum you can keep it, period, and people don't believe them for very good reasons. This is a thin end of an enormous wedge of federal power that will be wielded for the constant progressive purpose of concentrating power in Washington so that it can impose continental solutions to problems nationwide. You say it's voluntary. It has been driven by the use of bribes and coercion in the form of waivers from No Child Left Behind or Race to the Top money to buy the compliance of these 45 states, two of which, Indiana and I believe Oklahoma have already backed out, and they will not be the last. Watch the verb align in this argument. They are going to align the SAT and ACT tests with the curriculum. They are going to align the textbooks with the tests. And sooner or later you inevitably have a national curriculum that disregards the creativity of federalism. What are the chances, Juan, that we're going to have five or six creative governors experimenting with different curricula or one creative constant permanent Washington bureaucracy overlooking our education? We've had 50 years now of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act. 50 years of federal involvement that has coincided with stagnation in test scores across the country.

Piecake

How does federalism benefit education? The only response is to lower or raise standards. I don't know why you would lower standards or why that's a good thing and if the problem is the rasing of standards I don't know how low federal ones hurt because I figure your kids would be smarter than the lower standards. And then wouldn't you fight for raising them rather than eliminating them?

You can't just say federalism and claim that's an arugment.

They don't like the fed telling then how to run education because they want to reduce it to lower taxes. Everything about American conservatism is about lowering taxes.

Gotchaye

This argument rings pretty hollow to me when conservatives generally seem to support No Child left behind and the absolutely terrible standardized tests that it requires. They want federalism and creativity, but blocked attempts to get rid of or drastically reduce standardized tests in schools that force teachers to teach to those tests? Please...

Just in general, you almost never see people making "but federalism" arguments against policies that they don't also have other reasons for opposing. It's not plausible that this is what's actually motivating conservative opposition to Common Core. The worry here is transparently not that a national curriculum will be "less creative". The worry about Obama creating a national curriculum is that big government liberals will indoctrinate red state children. Just like "states' rights" is the acceptable way of defending racism when we're talking about a bunch of other things, local control of curricula is how you defend things like teaching creationism without having to actually say that you're pro- teaching creationism (though Will is personally anti-creationism, I believe). The meat of Will's objection is that this power will be wielded for a "constant progressive purpose". He sort of gets sidetracked talking as if liberals are after big government for big government's sake, but the idea is that liberals want to impose liberal solutions on the country. That's the problem.

His real objection is the sort of objection I was pointing to above in an earlier post - it's a problem with the particulars of the supposed national curriculum.

Minnesota Senate votes 48-18 to pass "tightest" medical marijuana law.

There are 39 Democrats and 28 Republicans. 1 person was not there Osmek(Republican) so that means 9 Republicans voted for it including Sean Nienow(dude is always up there rambling off nonsense) of all people. That's enough to override a Dayton veto as the Strib article points out.

It's the much better of the 2 bills in consideration as the House's is a piece of garbage that has so many things wrong with it it's not even worth talking about. Hopefully the Senate's version advances in Committee should the House's pass.

Not sure I really agree with those comments. The first seems to be saying that we can't relate Benghazi to anything relating to Iraq, because Iraq happened in the past. Which I can't really say I follow. The other comment is a lot more understandable, but still not exactly what I see when I watched the Stewart Clip.

He's not saying you can't be upset about Benghazi if you weren't upset about Iraq. You totally can be. I don't think he said anything at all prescriptive about what you should or should not be upset about. He wasn't telling his audience or any other audience to stop whining about this or that. What he did was talk about Fox News anchors. He spoke specifically to them, who seemed content to apologize for the last administration, while excoriating the current one for something far less severe. The goal of the piece, to me, wasn't to say to them "Shut up about Benghazi is you were quiet about Iraq" to those who work at or watch Fox. It was more to say to everyone else "Look how these people in the media, who purport to be fair and balanced, seem to be very selective in their outrage regarding two very similar events." And I think pointing out hypocrisy in the news is a very fair criticism. Although, at this point, very easy to do.

Tilis is tea party through and through. He hates poor people and minorities. He once said the GOP needs to get cerebral palsy pacients , who "deserve help" to hate those who don't deserve it. Divide and conquer he called it.

Manarola

Banned
This argument rings pretty hollow to me when conservatives generally seem to support No Child left behind and the absolutely terrible standardized tests that it requires. They want federalism and creativity, but blocked attempts to get rid of or drastically reduce standardized tests in schools that force teachers to teach to those tests? Please...

Despite being a Bush initiative, conservatives did not like NCLB IIRC.

alstein

Bad news for someone.

Hagan is probably seeing an Intercontinental Champion and a podium in her near future judging from results.

Tillis is also a big reason there's no community broadband in most of NC- he spearheaded the anti-competition bill.

(that said Hagan has taken money from Comcast)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

I'm honestly curious how Bill O' and the zoo crew at Fox respond to that. I wouldn't be surprised if it was pretty much the same as those commenters you posted.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Also I like what Dahlia Lithwick had to say about yesterday's decision:

Whose responsibility is it to enforce the establishment clause if not the courts?

Kennedy's opinion doesn't mean that the courts won't enforce the Establishment Clause. It means that sectarian prayers, without more, don't violate the Establishment Clause. The portion partially quoted by Lithwick means that it isn't the place of government to dictate to the persons offering a prayer what terms they may or may not use. "The First Amendment," Kennedy writes, "is not a majority rule, and government may not seek to define permissible categories of religious speech. Once it invites prayer into the public sphere, government must permit a prayer giver to address his or her own God or gods as conscience dictates, unfettered by what an administrator or judge considers to be nonsectarian." He points out that any other rule would "involve government in religious matters to a far greater degree than is the case under the town's current practice of neither editing or approving prayers in advance nor criticizing their content after the fact." Yet Kennedy recognizes that there remain constraints on the content of legislative prayers:

City of Greece v. Galloway said:
The relevant constraint derives from its place at the opening of legislative sessions, where it is meant to lend gravity to the occasion and reflect values long part of the Nation’s heritage. Prayer that is solemn and respectful in tone, that invites lawmakers to reflect upon shared ideals and common ends before they embark on the fractious business of governing,serves that legitimate function. If the course and practice over time shows that the invocations denigrate nonbelievers or religious minorities, threaten damnation, or preach conversion, many present may consider the prayer to fall short of the desire to elevate the purpose of the occasion and to unite lawmakers in their common effort.

I haven't read the entire opinion, not to mention the concurrences and dissents, but I think you'd be better off just reading those than Lithwick's lazy tirade.

Kennedy's opinion doesn't mean that the courts won't enforce the Establishment Clause. It means that sectarian prayers, without more, don't violate the Establishment Clause. The portion partially quoted by Lithwick means that it isn't the place of government to dictate to the persons offering a prayer what terms they may or may not use. "The First Amendment," Kennedy writes, "is not a majority rule, and government may not seek to define permissible categories of religious speech. Once it invites prayer into the public sphere, government must permit a prayer giver to address his or her own God or gods as conscience dictates, unfettered by what an administrator or judge considers to be nonsectarian." He points out that any other rule would "involve government in religious matters to a far greater degree than is the case under the town's current practice of neither editing or approving prayers in advance nor criticizing their content after the fact." Yet Kennedy recognizes that there remain constraints on the content of legislative prayers:

I haven't read the entire opinion, not to mention the concurrences and dissents, but I think you'd be better off just reading those than Lithwick's lazy tirade.
You really do a great job of defending anything that comes from this court.

Kennedy says there can't be limits on their prayers (never mind its not censoring to not invite certain groups if they break the rules) but then goes on to claim they can and in fact are required to censor groups when they pass by a barrier Kennedy has constructed out of nowhere (the denigrating standard).

So which is it? At least thomas and scalia's opinion doesn't run into this problem.

What is really is kennedy injecting his baseless opinion that this speech is harmless, I'm guessing driven by his own religious beliefs and his wanting to believe the sincerity of the pastors. Its everything the 1st amendment is designed to stop.

Retro

"... I may never run for another elected office ..."

god_damn_right_breaki08zbq.gif

What a despicable human being.

Three large health insurers including WellPoint Inc. (WLP) and Aetna Inc. (AET) say that a high percentage of their new Obamacare customers are paying their first premiums, undermining a Republican criticism of enrollment in the program.

As many as 90 percent of WellPoint customers have paid their first premium by its due date, according to testimony the company prepared for a congressional hearing today. For Aetna, the payment is in the “low to mid-80 percent range,” the company said in its own testimony. Health Care Service Corp., which operates Blue Cross Blue Shield plans in five states including Texas, said that number is at least 83 percent.

And those aren't final numbers!

Republicans on the House Energy and Commerce Committee invited insurers to testify on enrollment after publishing a report last week claiming only two-thirds of people who signed up had paid their first premium.

“That was just foolishness on the part of the committee to even publish that number because it was completely out of context,” Bob Laszewski, an insurance industry consultant in Alexandria, Virginia, said in a phone interview.

The Republicans reported a lower percentage of paid premiums in part because they surveyed insurers only on payments received by April 15. At least 3 million people signed up for coverage that didn’t begin until May 1 or later; their premiums weren’t due until at least April 30.

The Republicans say they plan to update their report about May 20, when due dates will have passed for most Obamacare plans.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...-obamacare-customers-paid-first-premiums.html

LOL

Fucking clowns.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
You really do a great job of defending anything that comes from this court.

I'm not sure if that's intended as a compliment, but I'll take it as a compliment in any event. Thanks.

Kennedy says there can't be limits on their prayers

Are you talking about in the portion I quoted, or something else? In the portion I quoted, Kennedy said that the government could not require that prayers meet a government-defined nonsectarian standard. He didn't say there couldn't be any limits whatsoever. Like you point out, and like I quoted, he says that there are some limits on what may be said during legislative prayers (and how such prayers may be said). I don't see any contradiction in Kennedy's opinion.

(never mind its not censoring to not invite certain groups if they break the rules)

If the rules relate to the content of a statement, then I think it clearly is censorship to base invitations on adherence to those rules. The question becomes whether such censorship is appropriate.

but then goes on to claim they can and in fact are required to censor groups when they pass by a barrier Kennedy has constructed out of nowhere (the denigrating standard).

On that subject, I think it's obvious that Kennedy's "denigrating standard," as you put it, is dictum. The Court wasn't asked to determine what sorts of prayers would cross the Constitutional line; the Court was asked whether the practice in the Town of Greece did cross that line, and held that it did not.

At least thomas and scalia's opinion doesn't run into this problem.

I think Thomas' opinion regarding the incorporation of the Establishment Clause through the Fourteenth Amendment is fascinating. It's something I'll probably look into more at some point.

EDIT: Oh, I nearly forgot to mention my amusement at Kennedy's trolling!

Justice Kennedy said:
Our tradition assumes that adult citizens, firm in their own beliefs, can tolerate and perhaps appreciate a ceremonial prayer delivered by a person of a different faith....

Adults often encounter speech they find disagreeable; and an Establishment Clause violation is not made out any time a person experiences a sense of affront from the expression of contrary religious views in a legislative forum, especially where, as here, any member of the public is welcome in turn to offer an invocation reflecting his or her own convictions....

Neither choice [to remain during the prayer or to leave] represents an unconstitutional imposition as to mature adults, who ‘presumably’ are ‘not readily susceptible to religious indoctrination or peer pressure.

(To be fair, he did have to distinguish this case from a case involving children at a public middle school graduation ceremony. But I think at least some of those uses of the word "adult" were gratuitous.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom