• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

Looks like Biden is planning on running...huh

Strange as it may sound, I hope he runs to give Hillary a platform, not to win. Hillary needs a good bruising in the primary. Otherwise she will get coakleyed.
I don't know. I think Hillary learned her lesson in 2008. She and Bill were being very cocky/arrogant early on and that gave Obama a huge boost. Had they got their shit together when it counted most, Hillary would be President right now. I think she's well aware of what to avoid the next time around.

Biden would be a great President. I don't know if he could win, though. His age does concern me a bit... of course Hillary is getting up there, too.
I also think Biden would say a lot of stupid/irrational things that would bite him in the ass and turn off voters. We all know he's done it enough as is.

Looks like Biden is planning on running...huh

Strange as it may sound, I hope he runs to give Hillary a platform, not to win. Hillary needs a good bruising in the primary. Otherwise she will get coakleyed.

And like I said, Biden voted for all of that shit like the repeal of Glass-Steagall, he really doesn't have the right to criticize the Clintons.

And like I said, Biden voted for all of that shit like the repeal of Glass-Steagall, he really doesn't have the right to criticize the Clintons.
I hope I'm not like popping your political cherry here but every politician (except maybe Bernie Sanders) has prioritized political expediency over good policy at one point or another in their careers. I'd rather have someone who's willing to admit they were wrong about something than double down on stupidity.

I was actually going to dispute it... until I remembered how gross I feel if mine gets past a certain length of stubble.
Then I proclaim victory!
oh man, if Hagel actually overturns that ban my partner's life might get several orders of magnitude easier
Honestly, once gay marriage is "solved" by SCOTUS, I fully expect transgender issues to take the forefront. Once the people who freak out about gay marriage lose the battle, they'll move on to the next, closest thing.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I hope I'm not like popping your political cherry here but every politician (except maybe Bernie Sanders) has prioritized political expediency over good policy at one point or another in their careers. I'd rather have someone who's willing to admit they were wrong about something than double down on stupidity.

This.

Being able to admit that you fucked up and able to take actions to correct the mistakes of the past aren't signs of weakness. They're signs of a good leader.

BnEMePNIEAAg8Na.jpg

Tamanon

Banned
Boy I can't even imagine what list being subscribed to that gets you put on.

I plan on going for at least a Security Clearance eventually, so nope.

The thing is that Biden has been wrong on a lot of issues, I'm not asking for ideological perfection but it's pretty obvious from all the authoritarian tough on crime policy he championed in the 90s to voting for every deregulation bill to voting to authorize the war in Iraq that he's pretty similar to the Clintons.

The thing is that Biden has been wrong on a lot of issues, I'm not asking for ideological perfection but it's pretty obvious from all the authoritarian tough on crime policy he championed in the 90s to voting for every deregulation bill to voting to authorize the war in Iraq that he's pretty similar to the Clintons.
Have fun holding your nose then.

FyreWulff

Remember how people were saying the debt ceiling would be forgotten?

Every freaking PAC ad about the Senate election here is saying ___ Republican candidate will vote to raise the debt limit, so don't vote for him, or the candidate ads saying they're not going to vote for the the debt limit increase again. Just saw 3 in the past commercial break alone.

They're gonna ride that horse until it's legs fall off

Every freaking PAC ad about the Senate election here is saying ___ Republican candidate will vote to raise the debt limit, so don't vote for him, or the candidate ads saying they're not going to vote for the the debt limit increase again. Just saw 3 in the past commercial break alone.

Gotta have financial responsibility and run the government like a business!

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/arkansas-poll-pryor-51-cotton-40_791272.html

A new poll of registered voters in Arkansas shows Democratic sentaor Mark Pryor leading his Republican challenger, Tom Cotton, by 11 points. Pryor receives 51 percent support, while Cotton has 40 percent, according to an NBC News/Marist poll released Monday. This is the largest lead for Pryor since a problematic New York Times/Kaiser Family Foundation poll (also of registered voters) found him with a 10-point lead.

also nice editing weekly standard (the spelling of senator).

Also:
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/brendan-buck-joins-ahip

Speaker John Boehner's press secretary Brendan Buck (pictured, left) is leaving Capitol Hill to join the insurance industry's top lobbying group, America's Health Insurance Plans. He'll start on Wednesday.

Buck's new job will be quite a change from his current job. AHIP is deeply invested in the implementation and success of the Affordable Care Act. For the last three years Buck has served as a key voice for the GOP's efforts to repeal the law.

lol

NBC also had polls showing Nunn and Grimes running competitively in their respective races. Gotta say I'm surprised by all this, especially by how safe Pryor currently is. The last month or two seemed like it would be the most dangerous for him due Obamacare; it's going to take a few months for it to become a neutral issue IMO, and I'd expect another shock period of bad media coverage in the summer (small business mandates).

In some policy ways I dislike the private insurance take on the Medicaid expansion, but it seems pretty damn popular politically in red states due to eliminating the "free healthcare" stigma, even if people are only paying $10-20 copays. Cotton seems completely confused and is beating around the bush; same thing is happening with Scott Brown in NH.

There's still plenty of time for Cotton to rebound considering Obama will remain unpopular in Arkansas...but if the people who have benefited from the law show up to vote Pryor could win by 3-4 points.

Link

The Autumn Wind

As frustrating as this is, it's probably good news for Democrats. The government shutdown was the one thing that seriously damaged the GOP's numbers last year. If they want to remind people about it and bring a noose to their hanging, I say let them.

Wilsongt

I am not even surprised anymore. It's more or less expected now.

it’s amazing it took this long: former Rep. Allen West (R-FL) wrote in a blog post Monday morning that the focus on Boko Haram, which now includes a hashtag campaign spurred by First Lady Michelle Obama, is a “wag the dog” moment by the Obama administration meant to distract attention from the upcoming Benghazi select committee.

So, what will Obama focus on next to distract not only from Benghazi, but also Nigeria?

^ lol the onion keeps getting 1uped

Glenn Greenwald has got opinions:
BncyRlKCAAAn4ng.png:large

Why is it that these types don't realize the fact people don't often agree with them?

Joe Molotov

Wait, I thought the GOP was focusing on Boko Haram as well. Wasn't there a whole thing last week where they were trying to pin it on Hillary?

The Monica Lewinski interview is a distraction from Boko Haram and Boko Haram is a distraction from Benghazi and Benghazi is a distraction from the real issue...Monica Lewinski.

The Monica Lewinski interview is a distraction from Boko Haram and Boko Haram is a distraction from Benghazi and Benghazi is a distraction from the real issue...Monica Lewinski.

most corrupt administration

Also, there might have been WMDs in Iraq says GOP senate candidate because her husband knows things. Maybe they can get to the bottom of this after they're done with Benghazi?
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/05/joni-ernst-iowa-senate-iraq-weapons-mass-destruction

"We don't know that there were weapons on the ground when we went in," she said, "however, I do have reason to believe there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq." When a Register reporter quizzed her on what information she has, Ernst said "my husband served in Saudi Arabia as the Army Central Command sergeant major for a year and that's a hot-button topic in that area."

"X is a distraction for Y" conspiracies always remind me of when John McCain suspending his campaign to fix the economy. When Obama was asked why he wouldn't do the same he basically said he could do more than one thing at a time.

So much conservative snark or stupidity is based on the idea that only one thing can be done or discussed at one time. Obama playing golf? "Why isn't he doing his job!" Obama taking 10 minutes to take about his NCAA bracket? "Why isn't he fixing the economy!"

There are multiple stories going on, every day. Benghazi isn't the only thing going on in the world right now. And while I'm not a fan of hashtag movements (those girls are either dead or sold by now) it doesn't "take away" from other stories being discussed unless you're mentally handicapped and cannot discuss multiple things at once.

Little tidbits leaking from PPP from this weekend's polls.

The libertarian candidate in North Carolina is taking 11% of the vote - probably from Thom Tillis. We'll see when the full results are in.

Hillary Clinton beating Sarah Palin 44-41... in Alaska.

"X is a distraction for Y" conspiracies always remind me of when John McCain suspending his campaign to fix the economy. When Obama was asked why he wouldn't do the same he basically said he could do more than one thing at a time.

So much conservative snark or stupidity is based on the idea that only one thing can be done or discussed at one time. Obama playing golf? "Why isn't he doing his job!" Obama taking 10 minutes to take about his NCAA bracket? "Why isn't he fixing the economy!"

There are multiple stories going on, every day. Benghazi isn't the only thing going on in the world right now. And while I'm not a fan of hashtag movements (those girls are either dead or sold by now) it doesn't "take away" from other stories being discussed unless you're mentally handicapped and cannot discuss multiple things at once.

John Stewart nailed this a couple months ago.
http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/cbmv2s/appetite-for-distraction
http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/i...on---the-hawking-oppenheimer-distraction-loop

Be sure to watch both lol

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
My favorite distraction theories are the ones like this tweet, which both accuse him of diverting attention and bring up how dumb of a distraction it is.

I don't see how that has anything to do with what is said in that picture.

But she's going to be the first female president, and women in America are going to be completely invested in her candidacy. Opposition to her is going to be depicted as misogynistic, like opposition to Obama has been depicted as racist. It's going to be this completely symbolic messaging that's going to overshadow the fact that she'll do nothing but continue everything in pursuit of her own power. They'll probably have a gay person after Hillary who's just going to do the same thing.

That's pretty much saying women only care that she's a woman and that's why they're voting for her. That she has nothing else to stand on.

He forgets other people have concerns other than Glenn Greenwald's

bonercop

That's pretty much saying women only care that she's a woman and that's why they're voting for her.

That's unfair on his part, but that's not quite the same thing as thinking Americans agree with him on this. I'd even say it's the exact opposite.

That she has nothing else to stand on.

Well, I gotta say I do agree with him on that part. I think her record as a senator and as secretery of state is completely unremarkable, especially from a liberal perspective.

East Lake

It's just a weird leftist position to have. Thinking Hillary's a neocon or too corporate is fine, but then it's like some people take this hard right turn after that as if it's some enlightened position that few people acknowledge. It's like well it sucks we don't have a real left wing president, and by the way republicans aren't really racist, misogynistic, or homophobic, and democrats are cynically running minorities for a power grab. Outside the NSA it makes you wonder what the hell he has been paying attention to the last few years.

That's unfair on his part, but that's not quite the same thing as thinking Americans agree with him on this. I'd even say it's the exact opposite.

Well, I gotta say I do agree with him on that part. I think her record as a senator and as secretery of state is completely unremarkable, especially from a liberal perspective.

Ok, I get that criticism of my comment. But I sense in that a kind of "sheeple" insult directed at them. That glenn feels they should agree with him and be concerned with exactly what he's concerned with. I just got a general whine out of that that belittles those that don't see his way.

So, the VA hospital story. Now that's a scandal.

yeah, its a shame. I'm thinking the president's opponents see no real link to pseudo link to the president and in addition to them not really to be able to tie it to their policy goals (what are they supposed to claim, this shows why the government shouldn't be giving care to its vets? good luck privatizing vet care.) so it will be a standard scandal where the issues is investigated and corrected without much fanfare and political grandstanding. But if they sense anything they can tar the president with, expect it to blow up big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom