• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

zargle

OOOOk-lahoma, where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain,
And the wavin' wheat can sure smell sweet, When the wind comes right behind the rainQ
OOOOk-lahoma, Ev'ry night my honey lamb and I, Sit alone and talk and watch a hawk makin' lazy circles in the sky.

Oklahoma House Committee Rejects Science Standards Over Teaching The ‘Hyperbole’ Of Climate Change

It's the pot calling the kettle black.

There must be something in the water.

http://www.desmogblog.com/2014/05/1...ategists-security-threat-posed-climate-change

Republican Senator James Inhofe (R-OK), is dismissing a report out yesterday on the human security threats of climate change, authored by 11 three and four-star US Admirals and Generals, saying the group is desperate for “publicity.”

“There is no one in more pursuit of publicity than a retired military officer. I look back wistfully at the days of the Cold War. Now you have people who are mentally imbalanced, with the ability to deploy a nuclear weapon. For anyone to say that any type of global warming is anywhere close to the threat that we have with crazy people running around with nuclear weapons, it shows how desperate they are to get the public to buy this.”

So I made a thread of NPR covering MTV polling young people.

Has some interesting tidbits such as this:

Here's what they agreed on, across all races. Respondents believed people should be treated the same, regardless of race, and they felt people their age believed in equality more than older people. Most felt President Obama's election was proof that racism was mostly a phenomenon of the past, and that race was not a barrier to accomplishment.

Wilsongt

Rubio has things to say... about the science of abortion.

Rubio: It's 'the left' that denies 'scientific consensus' — on abortion

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) fired back at critics, in the wake of his recent comment disagreeing with scientists on climate change and human activity. Rubio's answer: It's the liberals who deny science — on abortion.

"Here's what I always get a kick out of, and it shows you the hypocrisy — all these people always wag their finger at me about science, and settled science," Rubio said, during an appearance Wednesday on Sean Hannity's radio show. "Let me give you a bit of settled science that they'll never admit to: Science is settled — it's not even a consensus, it is a unanimity, that human life begins at conception."

"So I hope the next time that someone wags their finger about science, they'll ask one of these leaders on the left: 'Do you agree with the consensus of scientists that say that human life begins at conception?'" I'd like to see someone ask that question. It's never asked. And that's not even a debatable thing, we can actually see that happening. I mean, that is a proven fact. And yet that's a scientific consensus they conveniently choose to ignore."

Yes... Ignore scientific evidence, unless it strengthens your position. It's almost like what occurs with the Bible.

Crisco

Banned
I don't know a single person who disagrees about human life starting at conception. That's not the issue. The "debate" is whether or not that life constitutes a person who should be afforded legal protections at the expense of the mother.

Wilsongt

I don't know a single person who disagrees about human life starting at conception. That's not the issue. The "debate" is whether or not that life constitutes a person who should be afforded legal protections at the expense of the mother.

The baby is the most important thing in the world... While it is still in the uterus. Once it's out, fuck that baby. Fuck the mother. Fuck all ya'll.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
What year is this from?

The year of 2014.

Wowzers...

"Hey diddle diddle, right up the middle."

Wowzers

Bnswl_2CMAEV0yh.png

Wilsongt

I am starting to think we need some sort of test to determine if someone is viable to run for public office or not.

"When it comes to legal, political decisions, do you base your conclusion and actions on laws, or the Bible?" If you say Bible, you're out.

I am starting to think we need some sort of test to determine if someone is viable to run for public office or not.

"When it comes to legal, political decisions, do you base your conclusion and actions on laws, or the Bible?" If you say Bible, you're out.

seriously?

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

seriously?

Oh? Darn...

IQ tests?

Amazing exchange. LOL

Though I do agree that to uphold the spirit of the 1st amendment, politicians (and voters) should try best to approach political issues using reasoning that can be applied to people of all faiths, including those with none. But that's unenforcable in practice.

Wilsongt

That slimy Senate Majority Leader is attacking free, patriotic Americans' ability to flood election campaigns and thus attacking our first amendment right by proposing limits on campaign contributions.

Sickening.

Ten million? They'll be lucky to get ten thousand.

How to Manage Expectations for Your Rally to Overthrow the American Government

Retired Army Col. Harry Riley expects that somewhere between 10 million and 30 million people will help him shut down Washington on Friday for Operation American Spring. Operation American Spring, in case you didn't get your invitation, is a militia-heavy protest explicitly aiming to force Barack Obama, Joe Biden, Harry Reid, Mitch McConnell, John Boehner, Nancy Pelosi, and Eric Holder from office.
Last October, "10,000" truckers were reportedly on their way to literally clog the Beltway and shut down traffic in protest of Washington politics. In reality, about 30 truckers showed up, and they caused no delays worth mentioning.

Hey, what's the forecast for DC tomorrow?

Strong storms, flooding rain likely into Friday morning

KtSlime

The problem is not the politicians per se, it is a system that selects candidates on their skill of fund raising rather than that of ability to govern. Even if there was an allegiance or intelligence test, the system itself would still select for the same sort of politician we have today.

That Idaho Republican Governor's debate is wacky as I watched most of it. Guy to blitzkrieg D.C. and Bible dude who has torn out pages from the bible as he's reading(text is so small it looks like bible text). The other 2 were just as dumb in their own way. Oh man.

Amazing exchange. LOL

Though I do agree that to uphold the spirit of the 1st amendment, politicians (and voters) should try best to approach political issues using reasoning that can be applied to people of all faiths, including those with none. But that's unenforcable in practice.

Of course a person's decisions will be guided by their faith, but I never hear arguments against abortion that aren't founded, in some part, in religion, and if an argument does not have a basis outside of a specific religion I can't find it valid.

I wish there were a good litmus test for this.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/na...lMarketing&utm_campaign=LinkPreview:1:Default

SAN FRANCISCO—Setting down her newspaper at the sound of the young child’s voice, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi reportedly rushed into her living room Thursday to hear her grandson say his first talking point. “Paul, get in here, I think he’s doing it,” said Pelosi, who reportedly could barely contain her excitement as the toddler proceeded to sputter through a line about reinvigorating the middle class by opposing tax cuts for Big Oil and corporations that ship jobs overseas. “Would you listen to that? He even pronounced ‘special interests’ correctly. Quick, somebody get the camcorder; I want to be able to save this forever.” As of press time, Pelosi was carefully helping her grandson walk back previous comments on Benghazi.
700.jpg

Of course a person's decisions will be guided by their faith, but I never hear arguments against abortion that aren't founded, in some part, in religion, and if an argument does not have a basis outside of a specific religion I can't find it valid.

There are atheists pro-life activists. Abortion will never be 'won' the left needs to get this through their head.

Its a fundamental difference of where life begins and ends. Science doesn't and can't provide a moral answer.

Chichikov

Let me give you one (and mind you, I'm pro choice) -
Ignoring cases where the health of the mother is at risk, let keep it simple, I'm walking about termination due to unwanted pregnancy.
So I hope we can all agree that killing the baby 5 minutes before it's born during labor is bad, right?
And we can all agree that using a condom isn't murder.
So that mean that sometime between conception and 5 minutes before delivery, there's a point where the fetus start being a human being that deserve protection.
Now considering that conception is the most significant epoch in pregnancy (or at the very least the most easily identifiable) and since you'd rather err on the side of not killing people, wouldn't it make sense to say that life begins with conception?

Now to be clear, I'm not just playing devil's advocate for the hell of it, I honestly think it's a difficult moral question, one that I hope I never have to face (especially when you deal with a pregnancy that is a bit more advanced), and one that new scientific discoveries can change my mind about.

Personally, I support abortion rights because I believe that forcing a mother to carry a baby she doesn't want to term is a bad policy that yield bad results for everyone. I still believe that as a society, it's better to try to reduce the number of abortion (mostly through sex education and contraception).

And I really hate that we break automatically along party lines on it.

p.s.
The religious argument is mostly shit though, the bible doesn't talk directly about abortion, and from it says about pregnant women it's easily to infer that a fetus is a not a human being than the opposite.

Edit:
AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
forget everything I said, abort everything and everyone, coathangers this shit from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Ta-Nehisi Coates has a cover story about reparations. Look forward to the stupid articles that will attempt to follow.

Chait should be smart and shut up.

Edit:

Also, This is the guy who Obama nominated to the Federal Bench in GA.

Bnw8d6dIIAEn0Bj.png:large

Chichikov

Ta-Nehisi Coates has a cover story about reparations. Look forward to the stupid articles that will attempt to follow.

Chait should be smart and shut up.

ZYC1YNv.png

Looking forward to it.
Also, I might want to tie myself to a radiator so I don't venture into the inevitable GAF thread about it.

p.s.
Any person that post that stupid ass West Wing episode is gonna get punched in the fucking face.
Aghhh, we're a week from that article and I'm already angry about shit that hasn't happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom