• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

The problem is not the politicians per se, it is a system that selects candidates on their skill of fund raising rather than that of ability to govern. Even if there was an allegiance or intelligence test, the system itself would still select for the same sort of politician we have today.

You do have to agree, though, that a lot of things being spewed by potential, and elected, officials is downright ignorant.

A pastor running for congress in SC stated that it was all the woman's fault for divorce, because she loved her children more than her husband.

You saw the two guys running in Idaho.

Let's not get into Fallen in Oklahoma

All of the climate change denial.

Etc, etc, etc

Also, This is the guy who Obama nominated to the Federal Bench in GA.

Bnw8d6dIIAEn0Bj.png:large

Sleep at the wheel as usual.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Also, This is the guy who Obama nominated to the Federal Bench in GA.

Yeah that whole deal is crazy. He has taken actions to restrict abortion, ban same sex marriage, and keep the confederate flag on Georgia's state flag. It doesn't take much imagination to guess what type of judge he'd be on social issues.

And he's the 1 person in a 4 person Georgia deal including Mark Cohen, who spent much of his time defending republican voter suppression.

All thanks to a blue slip filibuster, which is apparently a rule that republicans ended in 2003 when they had the senate and wanted to help out bush, but democrats put back in place in 2007.

I'll never understand why democrats don't just respond to republican's rough politics with rough politics of their own instead of a "compromise" where they get 10% of the victory. It's the type of thing that makes me wonder if Obama was just too inexperienced going into the presidency and Hillary would have handled these tactics much better.

alstein

If he was a fiscal liberal, I'd accept it. I really suspect he's a Republican in all but name though- so Dems should mass vote against him.

Gruco

Banned
p.s.
Any person that post that stupid ass West Wing episode is gonna get punched in the fucking face.
Aghhh, we're a week from that article and I'm already angry about shit that hasn't happened.
Can I ask for the link if my only motivation is to watch the West Wing embarrass itself?

Wilsongt

If he was a fiscal liberal, I'd accept it. I really suspect he's a Republican in all but name though- so Dems should mass vote against him.

The White House and Republicans are saying "But but but... that was ten years ago!" I don't like the guy. You can't change your views on certain ideas within that amount of time, especially not social issues such as abortion/gay marriage/the flag/voter suppression/etc

Is anyone surprised that that Dallas host who stormed off set due to the Michael Sam kiss is appearing on Fox News? I'm not.

TV Host Grossed Out By Michael Sam Kiss Gets Star Treatment On Fox (VIDEO)

When local television talk show host Amy Kushnir expressed revulsion this week at gay NFL draftee Michael Sam's public display of affection, she showed she has what it takes to get some face time on Fox News.

Kushnir stormed off the set of her Dallas morning show earlier this week, creating footage that went viral. The incident was apparently enough to get her a trip to the Fox studios in New York to be interviewed for Thursday night's broadcast of "The Kelly File."

"It was actually over the top. ESPN used it as an opportunity to put out shocking video when ESPN is a sports network that families watch," Kushnir explained to fill-in host Shannon Bream. "I mean, we've got children that play sports. They watch ESPN all the time. So it bothered me that they used it as an opportunity to promote their left-wing agenda, in my opinion."

Kushnir said since she stormed off set, she's been persecuted for defending "traditional values," and was subjected to death threats, rape threats and petitions for her to be fired. (Her Dallas TV station has stood behind her.)

"If you are trying to maintain traditional values and views in your home and if you share them," she said, "you're going to get lambasted because it goes against what's politically, it's politically incorrect."

So showing love to your partner during a happy event, if it's male and male, is disgusting and unacceptable. Showing love to your partner, if it's male and female, is showing family values and is super sweet.

Got it.

Wilsongt

Ben Carson ‘Starting to Feel’ the Urge to Run for President

t’s a daunting thing … I know how vehemently the left will come after you, try to destroy you, try to destroy your family. But at the same time I recognize that people like Nathan Hale -– he said, ‘My only regret is I have but one life to give to my country’ … And if everybody runs for the hills because they’re afraid that somebody is going to attack them or their family, then [the left] will have won.

Oh, yes. Please yes. Try to run. I will start popping the popcorn right fucking now.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Let me give you one (and mind you, I'm pro choice) -
Ignoring cases where the health of the mother is at risk, let keep it simple, I'm walking about termination due to unwanted pregnancy.
So I hope we can all agree that killing the baby 5 minutes before it's born during labor is bad, right?
And we can all agree that using a condom isn't murder.
So that mean that sometime between conception and 5 minutes before delivery, there's a point where the fetus start being a human being that deserve protection.
Now considering that conception is the most significant epoch in pregnancy (or at the very least the most easily identifiable) and since you'd rather err on the side of not killing people, wouldn't it make sense to say that life begins with conception?
The most easily identifiable point in pregnancy is the moment of birth, since we can observe that with the naked eye. We can't identify the moment of conception. We can anticipate a ballpark window where conception is likely to occur since menstrual cycles (should be) regular. And we can even look at hormonal changes early on in pregnancy and narrow it down slighly further. But we can never identify precisely the moment that sperm met egg.

Also, identical twins do not form until after the zygote stage. How do you explain when the second twin popped into existence? Because it sure wasn't at fertilization. There was only one life form, one unit, one "person" at that point.

There's a reason why far more cultures celebrate the moment of birth than the moment of conception, and why our government issues birth certificates, and why the unborn are not counted in the census.

Now to be clear, I'm not just playing devil's advocate for the hell of it, I honestly think it's a difficult moral question, one that I hope I never have to face (especially when you deal with a pregnancy that is a bit more advanced), and one that new scientific discoveries can change my mind about.
The moral question isn't when human life begins, but when that life should constitute a person. That's an ambiguous question that science can never answer, one that will differ not only across different individuals, but within the same individual under different circumstances, or at different times. Birth is the moment that all ambiguity is removed, so that is when personhood is typically bestowed by society, legally (by government). Since there is moral ambiguity on both sides, we do impose a conditional ban on abortions, but we place it late enough in the gestational period that each indiviudal has ample time to make the decision to abort or carry to term.

Personally, I support abortion rights because I believe that forcing a mother to carry a baby she doesn't want to term is a bad policy that yield bad results for everyone.

It's also a terrible policy because we'd be imposing a medical condition upon a woman. Pregnancy isn't just some magical baby factory state of being. It's a huge medical condition that causes temporary and permanent changes to a woman's body, physiologically and otherwise. They must undergo significant physical pain over prolonged periods of time, especially during childbirth. To demand she continue her pregnancy until birth is also to demand that the woman loan her body's space, blood, nutrients, etc, to another person/life form.

I still believe that as a society, it's better to try to reduce the number of abortion (mostly through sex education and contraception).
Of course. But that's not because abortion is morally a bad thing, but because a byproduct of a better educated society, with greater social and economic mobility and general quality of life/happiness, tends to be reduction in abortions. If we just look at the number as an indirect indicator, it means we're probably making progress in areas that are genuinely important.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

How often do judges preside over cases relating to fiscal matters?

Wilsongt

Senate Republicans block a TAX CUT... because it provided tax cuts to the wind energy industry.

Senate Blocks $85 Billion Tax Cut Bill Because It Would Have Helped Wind Energy

An $85 billion tax package that included reviving a key subsidy to the wind energy industry was struck down by the Senate on Thursday, after Majority Leader Harry Reid refused to let Republicans offer an amendment to kill the wind subsidy altogether.

Only one Republican, Sen. Mark Kirk (R-IL), voted with Democrats to extend the tax package, which would have revived 50 tax subsidies for numerous industries after the Senate let them expire at the end of 2013. Among other things, Republicans had wanted to offer amendments to strike the Wind Production Tax Credit from the Senate package, a $13 billion tax break to the wind industry to help them compete with fossil fuels.

Reid, however, filed cloture on the bill Wednesday, using a procedural move that blocks the minority party’s ability to call up amendments. Republicans then blocked the entire bill from moving forward.

“We have a tax bill here that members from both sides want to improve and support. Yet we don’t get a chance to amend it,” Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky) told The Hill.

“Republicans can’t take ‘yes’ for an answer — they just voted against the second bipartisan bill in less than a week,” Reid said. He suggested that Republicans might be hearing from “their friends down on K Street” about voting against tax cuts.

The Production Tax Credit (PTC) for wind is a subsidy that’s been built into the tax code for years to encourage growth in the wind industry. Reinvigorated by the 2009 stimulus, it was initially scheduled to expire in 2012 unless Congress decided to renew it. At the very last minute, it was renewed for one more year, but ended up expiring on January 1, 2014 due to Congressional gridlock.

Part of that gridlock was driven by opposition from Republicans who oppose giving tax breaks to the wind industry on the grounds that it amounts to a form a “welfare” that unfairly props up an industry present in some states but not others.

Of course, the whole point of a tax break for wind energy producers is to increase incentives for investment in wind power, which proponents say would ultimately increase the amount of wind power in the United States to a point where it can compete with conventional sources and further help reduce greenhouse gas emissions. At the moment, it’s particularly hard for wind to compete with, say, the oil and gas industries, which benefit from a wealth of federal tax carve-outs, even though the economic activity they generate is concentrated in just a few key states.

Do you hear that sound? That's the sound of politicians hungrily sucking the collective cocks of Big Oil.

Wilsongt

Tax breaks for the rich working as intended in Kansas. The poor are getting poorer, the rich are getting richer, and the economy there is becoming stagnant. Also, children in poverty continues to rise as funding for schools dwindle.

Thanks, Obama.

Edit:

Oh yeah. Operation American Spring was pretty much a bust. Maybe a few hundred people there, if that. Claiming it was the rain that kept people away. o rly

http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/...l-faces-close-race-with-Grimes-259573971.html

Grimes 43
McConnell 42

Also TPM backpat

Well, the jig is up: A GOP pollster predicted Friday that Republican rhetoric on Obamacare will change once they have cleared their primaries.

The New York Times reported on the comments made by Bill McInturff, a partner in Public Opinion Strategies, a Republican polling firm, at a conference for the American Association for Public Opinion Research in California.

“After the primaries, expect a shift in Republican candidates’ rhetoric against Obamacare,” McInturff said.

“Only few want to repeal the law; most want to fix and keep it," he continued, likely referencing the consistent polling that has shown Americans would rather improve the law than repeal it.

He added that the law could still be a net negative for Democrats in 2014, but predicted the Republican shift because its approval numbers have improved in recent months.

Chichikov

Can I ask for the link if my only motivation is to watch the West Wing embarrass itself?
I can't find the a clip right now, but here's the gist of it -
The black cop from Cagney and Lacey and that guy who played the exact same character in Cabin in the Woods have a deep and meaningful discussion about reparation.
And when I say deep and meaningful, I mean they cover the three most obvious and tired talking points that will sure be on the first page of GAF's thread about the Ta Nehisi Coates article (even for peasants who use 50 posts per page) -

40 acres and a mule, internment camps and of course the holocaust, you know, because when talking about reparation, it's really important to remind the people that -
  • Our people suffered more!
  • Aaron Sorkin is an idiot that doesn't know that Germany paid billions in reparations (much of it straight to Israel for some reason) and still pay stipends to survivors till this very day.
And I shit you not, at one point that bad guy from BIlly Madison says "I would love to give you money, but the SS officer took my father's wallet at Auschwitz".

4EddMbM.gif

At the end, white viewers everywhere are relieved to find out that Marcus Dixon from Alias didn't actually want money, he just wanted to know that white people really cared.
And maybe some college grants.
And for the dude from Cabin in the Woods to buy him lunch once.

4EddMbM.gif
4EddMbM.gif
4EddMbM.gif

Piecake

I can't find the a clip right now, but here's the gist of it -
The black cop from Cagney and Lacey and that guy who played the exact same character in Cabin in the Woods have a deep and meaningful discussion about reparation.
And when I say deep and meaningful, I mean they cover the three most obvious and tired talking points that will sure be on the first page of GAF's thread about the Ta Nehisi Coates article (even for peasants who use 50 posts per page) -

40 acres and a mule, internment camps and of course the holocaust, you know, because when talking about reparation, it's really important to remind the people that -
  • Our people suffered more!
  • Aaron Sorkin is an idiot that doesn't know that Germany paid billions in reparations (much of it straight to Israel for some reason) and still pay stipends to survivors till this very day.
And I shit you not, at one point that bad guy from BIlly Madison says "I would love to give you money, but the SS officer took my father's wallet at Auschwitz".

At the end, white viewers everywhere are relieved to find out that Marcus Dixon from Alias didn't actually want money, he just wanted to know that white people really cared.
And maybe some college grants.
And for the dude from Cabin in the Woods to buy him lunch once.

A nice pat on the back does improve people's bootstraps though

Chichikov

That Biden onion piece is gold, like all Biden onion pieces.

And speaking of the economy -

Report: Growing Number Of Americans Forced To Make Ends Meet By Collaborating On Song With Pitbull
“Between my job at a home improvement store, painting houses on the weekends, and shouting ‘Miami Beach’ through an Auto-Tune filter until I’m hoarse, I’m barely keeping my head above water,” said 42-year-old Michael Erickson of Scottsdale, AZ, who noted that he’s grateful to even have the opportunity to pick up a handful of hours with Pitbull every week given the amount of musical collaboration work that lately has gone to overseas workers or Pharrell.
dead

The stupidity ignorance in the net neutrality threads is too much sometimes.

There's no understanding of what is actually happening and why. Its just this idea the government can fix everything with magical regulations!

I favor reclassification (the supreme court was stupid in deciding brand x , its ignorance of tech knows no bounds*) but its the not the solution to the problem and it can lead to bad outcomes if not pared with other policy .

*Scalia was right in his dissent and to be honest I should state my general agreement with much of his tech and 4th amendment jurisprudence.

alstein

The stupidity ignorance in the net neutrality threads is too much sometimes.

There's no understanding of what is actually happening and why. Its just this idea the government can fix everything with magical regulations!

I favor reclassification (the supreme court was stupid in deciding brand x , its ignorance of tech knows no bounds*) but its the not the solution to the problem and it can lead to bad outcomes if not pared with other policy .

*Scalia was right in his dissent and to be honest I should state my general agreement with much of his tech and 4th amendment jurisprudence.

The ISPs have said that if Title II happens, they'll do what they want.

Why I want it is this: the FCC can override state bans on municipal broadband. Muni networks pop up, they won't have the throttles, this will force the big ISPs to compete and things will improve. The problem isn't net neutrality by itself, it's the local monopolies.

The ISPs have said that if Title II happens, they'll do what they want.

Why I want it is this: the FCC can override state bans on municipal broadband. Muni networks pop up, they won't have the throttles, this will force the big ISPs to compete and things will improve. The problem isn't net neutrality by itself, it's the local monopolies.

I completely agree, that's the point I'm trying to make. Its the crux of the problem

alstein

Yeah I would much prefer municipalities hosting their own networks and treating it like a utility.

also i saw this recently and I wonder how much of an effect it would be if other places (smaller cities) implemented this to see if there is any correlation between this an economic growth

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/04/t...eeds-business-development-in-chattanooga.html

Look at NC for a great example of this

only two cities allowed to have muni networks- Salisbury and Wilson. They get much better rates from TWC than the rest of the state.

Trey

The White House and Republicans are saying "But but but... that was ten years ago!" I don't like the guy. You can't change your views on certain ideas within that amount of time, especially not social issues such as abortion/gay marriage/the flag/voter suppression/etc

I'm not convinced that this is rigidly true. Ten years is a long time, even longer in our current instantaneous society.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I completely agree, that's the point I'm trying to make. Its the crux of the problem
I don't want ISPs competing on the basis of what internet sectors they throttle. I'd be deeply skeptical of any market solution here. While you sniff at regulation to keep things in check, they do a great job at providing a baseline for competition, much like how milk brands don't compete on which poisons you less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom