• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cantor's internal polling had him winning by 34 points.

Guys I didn't want to say anything but I think the polls might be s
crutinized heavily for this gross inaccuracy

DarkFlow

Banned
Anyone think Cantor will run for anything else, like a Senate seat or the House again in 2 years or would he just be damaged goods now never able to win again.

Tamanon

Banned
Anyone think Cantor will run for anything else, like a Senate seat or the House again in 2 years or would he just be damaged goods now never able to win again.

I don't see it. MAYBE a small Presidential run, but nothing of note. He's going to disappear into the money-making machine.

Tamanon

Banned
Oh man, I am ready for the Republican media establishment to completely turn on Cantor now that he's worm food. I expect him to be buried under the label of "RINO".

His name is Cruz . . . . CRUZ . . . don't you get it? All the Latinos will vote for him because his name is Cruz. Just like all the women voted for Palin!

No you just don't understand, most Americans are secretly true believer psudeo-libertarian conservatives who are just waiting for that true conservative like Ted Cruz to come along!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I would have never thought that Cantor could be flanked on the right. Just 4 years ago I would have called him one of the furthest right.

This is the guy that teamed up with Paul Ryan under the "Young Gun" name to force Republicans to take a tougher stand on budget issues, promoting cuts that Republicans would have never been brave enough to propose before, and forcing tougher and tougher negotiations stratagies leading to the partisan environment we're in today.

Remember that before Ted Cruz shut down the government, it was actually Cantor that was the lead name behind the number of debt ceiling crisis, forcing Boehner to never ever take a tax raise compromise when Boehner acted interested.

But I guess being anti-shutdown as a strategy, and pro-immigration reform is all it took for his party to revolt. Just insane. Sure, it is a bit of a low turnout fluke, but there would be 0% chance of this happening if the fundamentals weren't close.

DarkFlow

Banned
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/...m-dave-brat-2014-virginia-primary-107692.html

Conservative radio host Laura Ingraham said House Majority Leader Eric Cantor’s loss Tuesday is a historic rejection of the GOP establishment on immigration.
“This race in the end goes down as one of the most significant repudiations of establishment immigration reform that I’ve certainly — I’ve seen in my 20 years of doing politics,” Ingraham said Tuesday on Fox News’ “The Kelly File.”

And I don’t think the split in the Republican party is going to be made up with new Latino voters or new black voters or new Asian voters. In fact, I think somebody who runs on immigration reform or amnesty or whatever you want to call it in 2016 would probably do worse than Mitt Romney did in 2012,” Ingraham said. “I know a lot of people disagree with me but that’s my view.”

Dis gon b good

tumblr_ly6ivwwbE51r3edlz.gif

Amir0x

Banned
Tea party revolt, Republican party literally coming apart at the seams. What Republican is going to dare speak up for immigration reform if they can get flanked on the even FURTHER RIGHT than Cantor?

This is insanity. America is so fucked

Wilsongt

The more I read about this the more I want to turn on FOX and see if they've got any salty tears. I need some salty tears.

Nope. The far right is praising this as "getting rid of the establishment" and saying that he lost because of immigration and to close our borders now.

We're fucked.

Amir0x

Banned
Lol Cantor splurged $5.1 million on the race, and Brat spent like $200k.

Absolutely nothing has changed. America is just as fucked after Brat takes office as it is at the very moment.

America was fucked before, but it is demonstrably more fucked now. Now, the Republican party has just been inadvertently pulled even further to the extreme right - no sane Republican will speak up for even the most middle ground of issues, for fear of being flanked on the even further extreme right.

We lost Cantor, but we just woke up a fucking mess. Unless we completely figure out a way to stop the tea party from doing this shit again, gridlock in Washington is now going to be a permanent fixture for the next decade.

More from Costa (I know this one is a statement but damn does this guy have good connections in DC):

Boehner stmt: "“Eric Cantor and I have been through a lot together... My thoughts are with him and Diana and their kids tonight.”

no sane Republican will speak up for even the most middle ground of issues, for fear of being flanked on the even further extreme right
There are no sane republicans...hence my point. This has already been the least productive congress in history. You can't go any lower.

Only difference that matters is democrats re-taking the house.
"My thoughts are with him?" Isn't that something you tell someone when their relative dies? Not when they lose an election? What a privileged fucking asshole.
It's code language for "Fuck you dave brat you punk"

Amir0x

Banned
There are no sane republicans...hence my point. This has already been the least productive congress in history. You can't go any lower.

Only difference that matters is democrats re-taking the house.

Some Republicans had signaled they were willing to do Immigration reform, including Cantor.

Now there will be zero.

We've taken a step back, and we can define those steps back numerically. As I said, demonstrably so. I don't like Cantor and I'm glad he's gone in one sense, but now looking ahead... one wouldn't imagine things could get more gridlocked, but now they somehow will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom