• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chichikov

It's fucked up that some state still leave special provisioning to spousal rape, and it's appealing that until pretty damn recently a man could just rape his wife with impunity in this country.
That being said, Dick Black!

This is a big issue for me. I don't like things like the bulk data collection or some of the things that have been revealed but I despise the world views of some of these people and can't help but feel like it leaks into their actions.
Yeah, I think we all know that Snowden's personality and beliefs are a huge deal for you :p.

It's fucked up that some state still leave special provisioning to spousal rape, and it's appealing that until pretty damn recently a man could just rape his wife with impunity in this country.
That being said, Dick Black!
its frighting

Btw Florida is now strengthening stand your ground by legalizing warning shots and brandishing weapons. And the NRA is literally writing the bill.

Despite years of negative publicity over Florida's "Stand Your Ground" self-defense law, lawmakers are close to expanding it to protect gunmen who fire warning shots or wave weapons in a threatening manner—and they're doing it with a bill written by a top NRA lobbyist, Gawker has learned.

That also means gun owners would get blanket immunity from the state's "10-20-life" law, which mandates an automatic 10-year sentence for anyone accused of flashing or using a gun in the commission of a felony. Numerous Florida politicians, including Jeb Bush, have long credited that measure with significantly decreasing the state's gun crimes.

Ironically, the NRA originally lobbied in favor of those mandatory sentencing minimums for gun-brandishing Floridians. In 1999, Hammer stood beside then-Gov. Jeb Bush as he signed "10-20-life" into law. That was part of the pro-gun lobby's longstanding dictum that "we don't need new gun laws, we need to enforce the ones that are already on the books." But in this case, the NRA wants to do away with a gun law that's been on the books for nearly 15 years—a law that it helped pass.
Bizarrely, Evers, the bill's key Senate sponsor, told Gawker that he doesn't believe in firing warning shots. When asked whether the practice was contrary to common gun-safety protocols, he said: "Does it run counter to my beliefs? Yes. You don't pull the gun unless you're willing to use it, and I don't mean [for] warning shots."

Nevertheless, he said, the right to fire wide was a "constitutional right" that "should be left up to the individual."

This is comical. I want to post a thread but I hate the floridabugsbunny.gif and I know that's all it will be. Its dismissive and doesn't allow real conversation.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
its frighting

Btw Florida is now strengthening stand your ground by legalizing warning shots and brandishing weapons. And the NRA is literally writing the bill.

This is comical. I want to post a thread but I hate the floridabugsbunny.gif and I know that's all it will be. Its dismissive and doesn't allow real conversation.

Well, what else is there to say to Florida letting the NRA write its legislation? It's outrageous and there is no side of the argument that makes shit like this ok.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
LOL:

Fox News co-host Andrea Tantaros scolded Americans for not knowing their history on The Five on Wednesday. She inadvertently provided proof moments later, in the form of … Andrea Tantaros.

Tantaros and other The Five panelists were talking about a new report from the conservative Heritage Foundation, which ranked America only 12th in terms of economic freedom. Tantaros said countries ahead of the United States, like Estonia, are more economically free because they "actually know their history, and they study their history, and they study ours and what we’re doing here."

Americans, on the other hand, have gotten lazy and complacent, she suggested.

"If you ask most people, they don’t even know why we left England," she said. "They don’t even know why some guy in Boston got his head blown off because he tried to secretly raise the tax on tea. Most people don’t know that."

http://www.politifact.com/punditfac...os-says-americans-dont-know-their-history-th/

Well, what else is there to say to Florida letting the NRA write its legislation? It's outrageous and there is no side of the argument that makes shit like this ok.

I agree its insane but I mean the gifs just dismiss the very real consequences of these laws and make it some kind of game for the board.

Chichikov

Warning shots?
This is fucking mental.

The NRA is no longer even advancing gun manufacturing interests, I mean sheeeeeit, there is no money to be made by any of that shit, and that crap will undoubtedly lead to a backlash.
No, they're just trolling because a gun culture war is how they get paid, if we had sensible gun laws that 70% of the population can agree with (which is totally doable by the way) they wouldn't get nearly as much money and wouldn't be wield nearly much power.
As we say back home, the Golem rose against his maker.
Yeah, we really use that phrase in conversational Hebrew, quite often too, it's a weird and scary language.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I agree its insane but I mean the gifs just dismiss the very real consequences of these laws and make it some kind of game for the board.

I'm with you on that, but there's not much to do in that sort of thread other than make Florida and NRA jokes. Everyone knows it's a dumb law and that the NRA shouldn't have this much power.

There's no logic to this anymore. It's bad enough they can shoot each other without consequence, but now they can take multiple shots.

Diablos

No matter where you stand on gay marriage, it seems pretty clear to me that the 14th Amendment protects it.

You start speaking out against that in 2014, and you might as well start advocating that the US should become a Theocracy.

btw: Oklahoma made me think of their Governor, Mary Fallin. Which in turn made me think of Nikki Haley, Susanna Maritnez... anyone else thinking these women could be in the 2016 primary? Would be a potentially wise move against Hillary.

ivysaur12

Banned
No matter where you stand on gay marriage, it seems pretty clear to me that the 14th Amendment protects it.

You start speaking out against that in 2014, and you might as well start advocating that the US should become a Theocracy.

btw: Oklahoma made me think of their Governor, Mary Fallin. Which in turn made me think of Nikki Haley, Susanna Maritnez... anyone else thinking these women could be in the 2016 primary? Would be a potentially wise move against Hillary.

Nikki is the only one with a national future and they won't be in 2016.

FyreWulff

The GOP would prefer us to become a theocracy. Remember, the government should stay out of our businesses and homes, but they should regulate our bedrooms because being gay isn't up to code.

Man this country is fucked. NSA collects all this information but our do nothing slave of a populace lets it happen. I'd do something but I still need to listen to the top albums of 2013 for my top ten list.

There's some action campaign for February 11, 2014. The Day We Fight Back.

Oblivion

Was Mary Matalin (James' Carville's wife) high as fuck or what? She looked completely whacked out, staring into the distance, giving weird answers and just being goofy as fuck.

I haven't seen the episode yet, but I'm glad Matalin's in the panel. She never disappoints with the dumbosity.

Nikki is the only one with a national future and they won't be in 2016.
Eh? Martinez is considered a rising star, and a VP candidate for 2016.

The fact that Utah polls show support for gay marriage is split 50/50 tells me that the war is won. If gay marriage opponents can't win in Utah of all places, they can't win the nation. Laws tend to lag behind mindshare shifts, and I think this is a case of that: people, especially young people, support gay marriage in part because it has no negative impact on their lives. Which makes it so hard for opponents to gain any traction.

I've said it before but this isn't abortion, which will be contentious forever. Even many people opposed to gay marriage don't like the ugly nature in which the right discusses the issue. They're fucked.

Eh? Martinez is considered a rising star, and a VP candidate for 2016.

The fact that Utah polls show support for gay marriage is split 50/50 tells me that the war is won. If gay marriage opponents can't win in Utah of all places, they can't win the nation. Laws tend to lag behind mindshare shifts, and I think this is a case of that: people, especially young people, support gay marriage in part because it has no negative impact on their lives. Which makes it so hard for opponents to gain any traction.

I've said it before but this isn't abortion, which will be contentious forever. Even many people opposed to gay marriage don't like the ugly nature in which the right discusses the issue. They're fucked.
I wonder how the GOP candidates in 2016 will deal with this.

Certainly the pro-gay marriage side will have over 60% of the population behind it by then - and probably several more states will have legalized it, if not the entire country via SCOTUS decision. But those bible-thumping good Christian Republicans won't have gotten over it. And they'll want not just someone who's opposed to gay marriage, but someone who will actively fight it whenever possible. So either they nominate someone reasonable (like Christie, but probably not Christie) who's going to lose the Bush coalition because it's an issue he doesn't particularly care about, or they're going to nominate a nut and lose in a landslide.

In any case I hope when it's a settled issue it forces some gay marriage opponents to reevaluate who they support, politically - 2004 was fucking embarrassing

Was Mary Matalin (James' Carville's wife) high as fuck or what? She looked completely whacked out, staring into the distance, giving weird answers and just being goofy as fuck.

I was wondering the same thing - she looked awful. Besides being drunk, she also appeared Botoxed to high hell.

I wonder how the GOP candidates in 2016 will deal with this.

Certainly the pro-gay marriage side will have over 60% of the population behind it by then - and probably several more states will have legalized it, if not the entire country via SCOTUS decision. But those bible-thumping good Christian Republicans won't have gotten over it. And they'll want not just someone who's opposed to gay marriage, but someone who will actively fight it whenever possible. So either they nominate someone reasonable (like Christie, but probably not Christie) who's going to lose the Bush coalition because it's an issue he doesn't particularly care about, or they're going to nominate a nut and lose in a landslide.

In any case I hope when it's a settled issue it forces some gay marriage opponents to reevaluate who they support, politically - 2004 was fucking embarrassing
Eventually republicans will be forced to move to the previous democrat position - support for civil unions, rights (adoption), and anti-discrimination laws. But you're right, that won't fly in the south or the heartland, and in 2016 I'd imagine a few candidates will be forcing moderates to the right on the subject. The far right might never accept gay marriage.

Young people will be mainly focused on jobs in the next election, given how horribly the Obama economy has been for them, but I don't see a bigoted republican nominee winning enough of them over to win. That ugly mentality turns people off. I was quite shocked to learn Duck Dynasty's ratings dropped by 30% recently; I had assumed the people who watched the show would be the types who agreed with ignorant comments on gays. Nope. Yup...evangelists are fucked.

Eventually republicans will be forced to move to the previous democrat position - support for civil unions, rights (adoption), and anti-discrimination laws. But you're right, that won't fly in the south or the heartland, and in 2016 I'd imagine a few candidates will be forcing moderates to the right on the subject. The far right might never accept gay marriage.

Young people will be mainly focused on jobs in the next election, given how horribly the Obama economy has been for them, but I don't see a bigoted republican nominee winning enough of them over to win. That ugly mentality turns people off. I was quite shocked to learn Duck Dynasty's ratings dropped by 30% recently; I had assumed the people who watched the show would be the types who agreed with ignorant comments on gays. Nope. Yup...evangelists are fucked.
What do you think about Schweitzer?

I think he would have been a great candidate for the Democrats in 2004. The electorate in 2016 is quite different however.

And given his venom towards Obama as of late I wouldn't be surprised if he ragequits the Democratic Party after Hillary cleans his clock.

What do you think about Schweitzer?

I think he would have been a great candidate for the Democrats in 2004. The electorate in 2016 is quite different however.

And given his venom towards Obama as of late I wouldn't be surprised if he ragequits the Democratic Party after Hillary cleans his clock.
He's rather liberal on many issues, I don't think he'll quit the party. He has also been highly critical of Hillary so it's clear he's going for the anti establishment route. I doubt he'll beat her but he's a very formidable opponent. I like him, and agree with much of his Obama/Clinton criticism.

He seems like the only candidate who could give her trouble in fact. People are under estimating the negatives that will spike the minute Hillary enters the race. Clinton Fatigue, in part due to the media's obsession with reviving decades old stories, will be a factor. Also her age. Her ties to the Obama administration could be a problem too, depending on the status of the economy/Obamacare.

Is any one else really annoyed with MSNBCs extremely partisan cheerleading of bridgegate? Report the story but their tone, giddiness and airing of unsubstantiated rumors and speculation is exactly the kind of stuff FOX does. Be better than that.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/mayor-christie-camp-held-sandy-money-hostage

Christie will never be president

There will be much more of this coming.

Walker or the ohio gov is really there only shot in 2016

He is done at this point. There is no recovery anymore, after this all he can do is try not to do anything that could get himself kicked out of office. If this holds up I expect his numbers to drop like a rock.

Is any one else really annoyed with MSNBCs extremely partisan cheerleading of bridgegate? Report the story but their tone, giddiness and airing of unsubstantiated rumors and speculation is exactly the kind of stuff FOX does. Be better than that.

Unfortunately that's what gets the ratings. Even 60 minutes isn't immune to that shit anymore. All that's left is Frontline.

TPM has been similar in terms of breathless coverage and non stop nonsense. The fact that Christie's poll numbers haven't changed must really rustle their jimmies.

If he's guilty we'll know soon enough. The story isn't interesting enough to justify the coverage, but that's the case with most scandals. The most fascinating thing is that a lot of the conservative media isn't defending him.

TPM has been similar in terms of breathless coverage and non stop nonsense. The fact that Christie's poll numbers haven't changed must really rustle their jimmies.

If he's guilty we'll know soon enough. The story isn't interesting enough to justify the coverage, but that's the case with most scandals. The most fascinating thing is that a lot of the conservative media isn't defending him.

That's because most conservatives don't see Christie as "one of them".

lednerg

Yeah, well, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. Christie has been receiving a perpetual media blowjob for half a decade now, including plenty of loving from MSNBC's own morning show. If it turns out that Christie's office has been intentionally inflicting suffering on innocent citizens as a means to get back at his opponents, then too bad if some liberal news outlets go a bit overboard with the coverage.

It's a real, true-blue political scandal. It doesn't get any real than that. Unless it is found out Hillary directly denied Chris Steven's request for security for any reason, Benghazi, Fast and Furious and Solyndra were not scandals at all. No matter how much CNN likes to think both Hillary and Christie are in the same boat, it does not make it true.

Eh he went from being down 3 in a poll against Hillary (NBC/Marist) to -13. That's a pretty significant change.

When PPP polled North Carolina recently he led Hillary by a point, so he's not doing much better than Romney.

Some of the cheerleading in evening shows (where Rachel Maddow posited that Christie shut the bridges down because of court appointments) was silly. But this is a very important story that shows what kind of culture Christie creates, and the environment he thrives in.

I don't want this guy to be the commander in chief of any country, let alone USA. He'd turn into a warlord in an instant.

Oblivion

With all the shit that the right-wing noise machine spews every day with every inane infraction that Obama and the Dems do, I don't have much of a problem with the left showing a bit of shadenfreude.

Of course, I'm also really fucking petty, so there may be some bias involved.

Trouble

Banned

Yes, but I understand why they are doing it. Same thing with Fox and Benghazi. They see a potential weakness in the other party's leading candidate and they will ride it into the ground.

TPM has really bugged me this week. You're right that they've gone overboard with wall-to-wall Christie, but one thing that really stuck out to me is that there hasn't been word one about the 15(?) Democratic senators getting ready to torpedo the Iran negotiations. That's something that you think would be relevant to their readers, and ignoring it this week and last has bothered me.

Funny enough, I tweeted at Cory Booker (I'm a constituent) asking him why in the hell he's voting for the new sanctions. Got a follow-back but of course no response.

Dem media is over reaching with bridgegate just as conservative media did with bengazhi

I don't think so. Christie is basically Nixon. He's unfit for public office. A politician's harming the public is and should be a major story. It is quintessential corruption, and society has a strong interest in rooting out corruption.

A failure to prevent an attack on a CIA outpost in Libya doesn't even register on the scale of democratic concern. And that's coming from somebody who thinks Obama's drone strikes, particularly against American citizens, are an impeachable offense. So I'm not carrying water for the Obama administration or Democrats in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom