• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
TPM has really bugged me this week. You're right that they've gone overboard with wall-to-wall Christie, but one thing that really stuck out to me is that there hasn't been word one about the 15(?) Democratic senators getting ready to torpedo the Iran negotiations. That's something that you think would be relevant to their readers, and ignoring it this week and last has bothered me.

Funny enough, I tweeted at Cory Booker (I'm a constituent) asking him why in the hell he's voting for the new sanctions. Got a follow-back but of course no response.

The other thing that really annoyed me was reading Josh Marshall's live tweeting of Christie's speech. It honestly reminded me of the petty, ridiculous stuff I read on Amanda Carpenter's feed during an Obama speech. The speech seemed to be well received and confident/defiant, yet Marshall spent an hour moving from gripe to gripe, culminating in the "it was way too long" complaint.

I suppose liberals have been on the defensive so much that the opportunity to swarm an enemy was too appealing to let go.

can't wait to get out this state, wonder how bad it would be if we didn't have a democratic governor.

in case anyone was wondering, the reason this bill even exists is because the drugs used in executions here are running out and the manufacturers (from europe) aren't willing to sell it to us for obvious reasons. fucking embarrassing.

Diablos

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/mayor-christie-camp-held-sandy-money-hostage

Christie will never be president

There will be much more of this coming.

Walker or the ohio gov is really there only shot in 2016
I think Walker, Haley, Martinez, Rubio, and Randal Paul are the ones to watch.

Christie has just enough charisma to put him over the top and get away with acting like a shitstain. So we shouldn't write him off. He's the GOP's Bill Clinton.
I do think things are looking bad for him though.

Amir0x

Banned
No, things are only going to get worse for Christie. With all the subpoena's going out for document discovery, we're only at the early stages of what is about to be discovered. If everything from the withholding relief, to the canceled meetings, to the lane closures has been found out prior to this document discovery, it's only going to get worse.

This is pandemic behavior from Christie.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
No, things are only going to get worse for Christie. With all the subpoena's going out for document discovery, we're only at the early stages of what is about to be discovered. If everything from the withholding relief, to the canceled meetings, to the lane closures has been found out prior to this document discovery, it's only going to get worse.

Exactly.

Also, good to see you back, homedawg.

Law of probability is adding up rapidly against Christie. Even if its proven that Christie had no idea about lane closures, he will still get caught with his hand in the cookie jar sooner rather than later. There is too much here for Christie to feign ignorance.

I think some folks here correctly predicted that if bridgegate wont end him, wounds from hundred other scandals will. And it is looking like that. V
God knows what Romney saw in Christie's rap sheet.

Diablos

I don't disagree with any of this. But as I said before this is just the tip of the iceberg. Remains to be seen if this will ultimately sink him, but there are definitely more skeletons in his closet. Romney passed him up for a reason. This if nothing else proves that Christie is shady as fuck and he can't afford another one of these (but it is bound to happen).

Rubio is done, Diablos.
He'll be in the primary for sure, and if nothing else has a legit shot at VP nom.

Amir0x

Banned
Exactly.

Also, good to see you back, homedawg.

Thanks bro, good to be back.

Law of probability is adding up rapidly against Christie. Even if its proven that Christie had no idea about lane closures, he will still get caught with his hand in the cookie jar sooner rather than later. There is too much here for Christie to feign ignorance.

I think some folks here correctly predicted that if bridgegate wont end him, wounds from hundred other scandals will. And it is looking like that. V
God knows what Romney saw in Christie's rap sheet.

I don't know how he's going to continue to say he had no idea about the staffers doing these things when all these scandals keep piling up. How incompetent is he then if he has this little control over his office?

Of course, the answer is that he isn't incompetent, he's just a participant. He's a bully. I know that's a tired cliche at this point, but I don't see how anything we've learned does anything except prove it to be true.

I cannot wait to see what is found in the documents. In my estimation there is no way he doesn't get directly connected to one or another of these scandals.

I don't disagree with any of this. But as I said before this is just the tip of the iceberg. Remains to be seen if this will ultimately sink him, but there are definitely more skeletons in his closet. Romney passed him up for a reason. This if nothing else proves that Christie is shady as fuck and he can't afford another one of these (but it is bound to happen).

He'll be in the primary for sure, and if nothing else has a legit shot at VP nom.

I wish we could see Romney's file on Christie. I can't wait to see that Mitt Romney movie from Netflix too, as an aside

Diablos

I wish we could see Romney's file on Christie. I can't wait to see that Mitt Romney movie from Netflix too, as an aside
lol yeah it has to be pretty jaw-dropping stuff. Frankly if I were a GOP strategist picking Christie over Ryan would have been a no-brainer, even with the Obama photo ops, even considering his obesity -- so whatever they came across must have been bad.

Not as interested in the Romney Netflix movie but I'll probably give it a go.

Also fuck the PA GOP. I can't wait to see Corbett lose. Even Ridge was better than this guy. I cannot think of the last time we had such a shitty Governor, can you? Probably before we were born.

Trouble

Banned

Christie has just enough charisma to put him over the top and get away with acting like a shitstain. So we shouldn't write him off. He's the GOP's Bill Clinton.

He's got maybe a tenth of the natural charisma that Clinton has. I saw him giving a speech introducing Hillary back when she was running for Senate in New York (I was there on business). I was ready to give him a beej by the end of the speech, lol.

lol yeah it has to be pretty jaw-dropping stuff. Frankly if I were a GOP strategist picking Christie over Ryan would have been a no-brainer, even with the Obama photo ops, even considering his obesity -- so whatever they came across must have been bad.

Not as interested in the Romney Netflix movie but I'll probably give it a go.

Also fuck the PA GOP. I can't wait to see Corbett lose. Even Ridge was better than this guy. I cannot think of the last time we had such a shitty Governor, can you? Probably before we were born.

I read Double Down (the Halperin/Heilemann book about the 2012 election) a few months ago, and it wasn't just the stuff that was IN the file (some more shady land/development deals having to do with his brother if I remember correctly), but that Christie and his people just flat out refused to answer some of the questions Romney's people asked.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Btw Florida is now strengthening stand your ground by legalizing warning shots and brandishing weapons. And the NRA is literally writing the bill.

This is comical. I want to post a thread but I hate the floridabugsbunny.gif and I know that's all it will be. Its dismissive and doesn't allow real conversation.

The NRA didn't write the bill.

And the bill is an important fix to what, apparently, was an oversight in originally drafting Florida's existing self-defense statutes. The bill describes the problem thus:

Florida HB89 said:
(1) . . . [P]ersons have been criminally prosecuted and have been sentenced to mandatory minimum terms of imprisonment pursuant to s. 775.087, Florida Statutes, for threatening to use force in a manner and under circumstances that would have been justifiable under chapter 776, Florida Statutes, had force actually been used.

You can see the problem there. When attacked, a person would be better off killing his or her attacker (if deadly force was justified) than in merely threatening his or her attacker with deadly force. If she kills the attacker (and the deadly force was justified), then she has committed no crime, but if she merely brandishes a weapon or fires a warning shot (which no one suggests is a good idea), then she has committed a crime, regardless of whether force would have been justified if it had actually been used.

Here's how the bill describes its purpose:

Florida HB89 said:
(2) The Legislature intends to:

(a) Provide criminal and civil immunity to those who threaten to use force if the threat was made in a manner and under circumstances that would have been immune under chapter 776, Florida Statutes, had force actually been used.

(b) Clarify that those who threaten to use force may claim self-defense if the threat was made in a manner and under circumstances that would have been justifiable under chapter 776, Florida Statutes, had force actually been used.

(c) Ensure that those who threaten to use force in a manner and under circumstances that are justifiable under chapter 776, Florida Statutes, are not sentenced to a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment pursuant to s. 775.087, Florida Statutes.

(d) Encourage those who have been sentenced to a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment . . . for threatening to use force in a manner and under circumstances that are justifiable under chapter 776, Florida Statutes, to apply for executive clemency.

The bill then goes on to amend various sections of the Florida Statutes by adding in "or threatened use" (and similar language, depending on grammatical constraints) wherever it had merely said "use" before.

On a related note, here are some more criticisms of the Gawker article you linked.

Does EV watch Bill Maher. I imagine his head would have exploded when matalin stated "the government does not create money, it comes from us".

Chichikov

He's got maybe a tenth of the natural charisma that Clinton has. I saw him giving a speech introducing Hillary back when she was running for Senate in New York (I was there on business). I was ready to give him a beej by the end of the speech, lol.
Yeah, I'm not really a Clinton fan, I think he's the 2nd worst democratic president in the 20th century* but holy hell, believe the hype when it comes to that man's charisma, he's amazing on TV, but seeing him in person is off the charts.

* which would make him like the 8th worst president overall in that century, you know, for the people who like to play the "both parties are the same" game.

Yeah, I'm not really a Clinton fan, I think he's the 2nd worst democratic president in the 20th century* but holy hell, believe the hype when it comes to that man's charisma, he's amazing on TV, but seeing him in person is off the charts.

* which would make him like the 8th worst president overall in that century, you know, for the people who like to play the "both parties are the same" game.

Who do you think was the worst democratic president then? I think an argument could be made for any of them except for Truman. Wilson, FDR, JFK, LBJ, and to a lesser extent Carter all had their faults, but I don't think any of them sticks out like a sore thumb as obviously terrible.

Diablos

Who do you think was the worst democratic president then? I think an argument could be made for any of them except for Truman. Wilson, FDR, JFK, LBJ, and to a lesser extent Carter all had their faults, but I don't think any of them sticks out like a sore thumb as obviously terrible.
LBJ because of Vietnam.

He's hard to dislike because he is probably (next to FDR) the most socially and economically liberal President this country has had to date. Enjoying that Medicaid expansion? Thank LBJ for putting it there to begin with, he saved Obama a lot of work.

Unfortunately his foreign policy was the stuff of nightmares.

Carter had awful luck. Americans were noobs for voting him out; he was ahead of his time. The hostage crisis and the politics behind it was straight up bullshit. He comes out ahead of even Obama as probably being the most morally sound President we've ever had, which in and of itself speaks volumes. He was right about the environment, he was right about what the era of Reagan would have meant for this country in the long-term, he was pretty much right about everything. Fuck, even after Katrina happened, some three decades later, Carter was on television like a boss as though he were just recently President explaining how badly Bush and his lackies had fucked FEMA because he established it to begin with and was just calling him out on live television without even trying.

120v

my only problem with clinton is he had a hand in the deregulation of financial services which would later lead to the 2008 collapse. i thought he was a good president, although i understand why people further to the left of me would hate him

i thought all democrat presidents in the better half of the 20th century were good, with some huge caveats for each one.

MightyKAC

As a former Wisconsinite with politically active friends and family still in the state, I'm having a really hard time seeing Scott Walker as any kind of serious presidential threat. To me he's just a republican paper candidate. One that quickly wilts under the slightest scrutiny of either his ideals or his accomplishments.

If you thought Biden Vs. Ryan was brutal then Hillary Vs. Scott Walker is gonna be a full on bloodbath.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
As a former Wisconsinite with politically active friends and family still in the state, I'm having a really hard time seeing Scott Walker as any kind of serious presidential threat. To me he's just a republican paper candidate. One that quickly wilts under the slightest scrutiny of either his ideals or his accomplishments.

If you thought Biden Vs. Ryan was brutal then Hillary Vs. Scott Walker is gonna be a full on bloodbath.

I said the same about Christie but no one listened there either. It's a lot easier to see the flaws in a candidate when you live near where they hold power.

LBJ because of Vietnam.

He's hard to dislike because he is probably (next to FDR) the most socially and economically liberal President this country has had to date. Enjoying that Medicaid expansion? Thank LBJ for putting it there to begin with, he saved Obama a lot of work.

Unfortunately his foreign policy was the stuff of nightmares.

I have a hard time deciding how good LBJ is because Vietnam was probably the single worst thing a Democratic president did in the 20th century, but on the other hand he had a god-tier domestic policy.

I have a hard time deciding how good LBJ is because Vietnam was probably the single worst thing a Democratic president did in the 20th century, but on the other hand he had a god-tier domestic policy.

It's one of the worst things any president did in the 20th century tbh. You might as well put it in the top 5 or 10 of worst actions by a US president, ever.

Arksy

This is slightly off topic.

But I just heard for the first time, Robert F Kennedy's speech in Indianapolis after Martin Luther King's assassination.

What a beautiful ex tempore off the cuff speech. Actually moved me to tears.

It's doubly sad that Robert was assassinated very soon after. He would've made a brilliant President.

120v

not to absolve LBJ of veitnam but it was Kennedy who was initially on board with the war. if JFK's term wasn't so short he probably would be nowhere near as well-regarded

Vietnam is a a hard issue. It seems more an institutional and groupthink problem rather than just LBJs fault

Also oblivion, brilliant smash bros thread

Chichikov

JFK.
He sucked on civil rights, Vietnam is on him more than anyone, he let the CIA loose on some major bullshit ventures and he almost started ww3 for no good reason.
not to absolve LBJ of veitnam but it was Kennedy who was initially on board with the war. if JFK's term wasn't so short he probably would be nowhere was near well-regarded
LBJ inherited a shit situation in Vietnam, he didn't want anything with it outside not being remembered as the first American president who lost a war (because everyone forgot about Korea an the war of 1812 was like totally a tie), yeah, he pursued that goal poorly (and at times criminally) but JFK is the only president who actually thought it's a good idea to get involved in that mess.

JFK.
He sucked on civil rights, Vietnam is on him more than anyone, he let the CIA loose on some major bullshit ventures and he almost started ww3 for no good reason.

Terrible handling of Cuban missile crisis, kicked civil rights can down, heavily invested more into the military, started Vietnam.

Its amazing how getting murdered does so much for your image.

Chichikov

Terrible handling of Cuban missile crisis, kicked civil rights can down, heavily invested more into the military, started Vietnam.

Its amazing how getting murdered does so much for your image.
Being good looking, charismatic and making great speeches didn't hurt him either.

JFK.

Yes, or Clinton.*

* Just saw you already suggested Clinton was second worst! Obama would be close, but I think Obama--more so than Clinton--is a victim of the political environment (no organized left). The drone shit is entirely on him, though. That's not worse than Vietnam by quite a bit, but it's pretty bad.

Does EV watch Bill Maher. I imagine his head would have exploded when matalin stated "the government does not create money, it comes from us".

I've seen a few, but don't watch it typically. And, yes, that would make my head explode. (It is true that money comes from "us," but "we" are the government.)

Chichikov

Yes, or Clinton.*

* Just saw you already suggested Clinton was second worst! Obama would be close, but I think Obama--more so than Clinton--is a victim of the political environment (no organized left). The drone shit is entirely on him, though. That's not worse than Vietnam by quite a bit, but it's pretty bad.)
Clinton was pretty bad, by far the worst democratic president when it comes to domestic policies, but it's hard beat an unnecessary war and almost ending human civilization.

Yes, or Clinton.*

* Just saw you already suggested Clinton was second worst! Obama would be close, but I think Obama--more so than Clinton--is a victim of the political environment (no organized left). The drone shit is entirely on him, though. That's not worse than Vietnam by quite a bit, but it's pretty bad.
I think every president has their skid marks (besides - maybe - Carter) that would be impeachable offenses in a clean democracy.

Obviously that doesn't mean we shouldn't care, but it's just one more frustrating thing about following US politics.

Reagan's ascension to the Presidency will forever be a blight on this country's history.

Ugh. Fucker caused a ridiculous amount of long term damage to this country.

Clinton was pretty bad, by far the worst democratic president when it comes to domestic policies, but it's hard beat an unnecessary was and almost ending human civilization.
His involvement in the Bosnian-Serbian conflict and bringing it to an end through NATO is the only truly bright positive I could think of from his presidency. Also, he made Newt Gingrich implode which is always a good thing.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
To be fair, Clinton tried to do a lot of good in his first two years. The problem was that once Newt's fatass waddled his way into power, Clinton seemed more than a little eager to accommodate his slimey hide. Once the Reps took over, Clinton pretty much stopped fighting for any progressive legislation. I honestly can't think of any good Democratic bills that were passed after that aside from maybe SCHIP?

JFK loved science so he should get a pass for that Bay of Pigs thing.

Mort

Banned
Been out of the loop for the past year. Did the rebuttal fuck him that much?

That and the Tea Party and Republican party turning on him hard for supporting immigration reform. He's spent much of the last year waffling between supporting it to disowning it and he's become a joke from that. He'll never have the adoration from the party because of it.

Reagan's ascension to the Presidency will forever be a blight on this country's history.

Ugh. Fucker caused a ridiculous amount of long term damage to this country.

Reagan was the product of the nation's times. It was only a matter of time before Americans became distasteful of social democracy because it helped those dirty browns and blacks.

The same could be said with Clinton. Only a "centrist" could win the presidency in '92. America had already changed by then. If Reagan didn't take the mantle at best case scenario America's march toward the right would have been a bit more gradual.

I just watched this episode and that lady blew my mind. She was wrong on everything.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Basically the water drinking incident screwed any chance of Rubio building a public personality to sell, and the failure of immigration reform screwed his chance of building a resume to sell. He has absolutely nothing left to differentiate himself over any other republican. All he has is a bit of name recognizably from the hype of the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom