• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
10268764_486600541485637_1259311978_n.jpg

"The 2d and 3rd boxes both contain the same decision; 2 boxes to ease distribution to the press in the PIO room."

That about wraps things up for Obama, Kay Hagen to retire.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I guess don't understand much about unions. I thought they were voluntary, not mandatory? I feel I am missing a big piece.

"Closely held corporations cannot be required to provide contraception coverage"

"The Court says that the government has failed to show that the mandate is the least restrictive means of advancing its interest in guaranteeing cost-free access to birth control"

AndyD

aka andydumi
"This decision concerns only the contraceptive mandate and should not be understood to mean that all insurance mandates, that is for blood transfusions or vaccinations, necessarily fail if they conflict with an employer's religious beliefs."

How's that make sense? I guess not all religious objections are equal?

Tamanon

Banned

adg1034

"This decision concerns only the contraceptive mandate and should not be understood to mean that all insurance mandates, that is for blood transfusions or vaccinations, necessarily fail if they conflict with an employer's religious beliefs."

So in essence, the court just ruled that Jehovah's Witnesses be crazy, but traditional evangelical Christians aren't.

Catholic canon > Jehovas Witness canon

Tamanon

Banned
So it sounds like Hobby Lobby doesn't have to pay for that coverage, but it'll still be provided. And payment for it can be done via regulation instead of law.

adg1034

The sooner these shitheads get replaced, the better.

Holy fuck.

Case in point:

"To be clear: the Court holds that corporations (including for-profit corporations) are "persons" for purposes of RFRA. The additional question was whether corporations can have a religious "belief" within the meaning of RFRA. On that question, the Court limits its holding to closely held corporations, leaving for another day whether larger, publicly traded corporations have religious beliefs."

Diablos

Case in point:

"To be clear: the Court holds that corporations (including for-profit corporations) are "persons" for purposes of RFRA. The additional question was whether corporations can have a religious "belief" within the meaning of RFRA. On that question, the Court limits its holding to closely held corporations, leaving for another day whether larger, publicly traded corporations have religious beliefs."
Oh for fuck's sake
Can't just leave it alone, can you...

AndyD

aka andydumi
Case in point:

Wow. That is just awful.

teiresias

Seems fairly ridiculous to just say, "we only want this ruling's logic to apply here because it may make no sense elsewhere." Logic is logic, law is law, if you're going to make an argument how can you selectively rule it this way?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yeah, that differentiation between this medical issue and other medical issues is mind-boggling.

teiresias

Yeah, that differentiation between this medical issue and other medical issues is mind-boggling.

Posted in the other thread in OT, but I like the quip DailyKos made on this.

This is a narrow ruling in that it narrowly only applies to women. Obviously, the court can't allow this to apply to medical needs that might be required by men.

Seems fairly ridiculous to just say, "we only want this ruling's logic to apply here because it may make no sense elsewhere." Logic is logic, law is law, if you're going to make an argument how can you selectively rule it this way?
Bush v gore. Its about outcome not law.

Edit:damn it joe

Do you think the fact that theyre not elected and can sit around crapping on America for 50 years is right?

This isnt about disagreeing with their ruling, its how they appear to be jumping through hoops to justify stuff they personally want.

IE:
36 foot buffer illegal outside PP....but giant buffer outside their door ok
Declining contraceptive ok due to religion.....but declining other random medicine due to religion not ok

Do you think the fact that theyre not elected and can sit around crapping on America for 50 years is right?
Yes. I like the concept of a supreme Court. Your reactions only happen when one loses a case. The 1980s happened we lost then. 2008 happened and hopefully 2016 and 2020 will happenen the court will change like it always does

And they've done this since forever. Its called politics.

Grinswald v Connecticut jumped through legal hoops to get what they want.

I don't time have to get into it now, but I'm on the record on this very forum for rejecting judicial review.
Well some are, but some just change depending on the court. I hate parliamentary supremacy

Also looks like Harris was decided on relatively narrow grounds. I think the court doesn't see it self having enough capital to change things too dramatically. That's good but we need to see a change before they have a chance to chip away more.

let's at least do what canada does and cap their goddamn ages at 75 so there's less of a chance for egregious court-stacking on either side

at the very least, that gets rid of scalia from the current court (and ginsburg, but she's getting replaced soon anyway)

Tamanon

Banned
It amazes me how many people seem to think @SCOTUSBlog is the official twitter of the SCOTUS themselves. As if they would understand what Twitter is.

let's at least do what canada does and cap their goddamn ages at 75 so there's less of a chance for egregious court-stacking on either side

at the very least, that gets rid of scalia from the current court (and ginsburg, but she's getting replaced soon anyway)

I agree.

Supreme Court should only be open to those aged 50-75.

Default term limit.

FyreWulff

Yeah. Not only does this ruling apply almost exclusively to care women need, it favors one religion over another.

They can get away with the first part because we still have no ERA sadly, and the second part I even question how it's even legal.

Crisco

Banned
One of the dumbest and least coherent decision ever made by the SC. It's basically a copout on the larger issue but a direct blow against women's health for absolutely no logical reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom