• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
And despite what Alito writes in his case, many of the things he says are not included can be included later when challenge. He comments on various hypotheticals are merely dicta and have no binding legal precedent.

I suspect they'll just dispatch those other cases by denying cert. I don't think they want to go down this rabbit hole.

President Christie's cool as cucumber townhall

I couldn't get your tone from that, but it doesn't exactly sound lik he crossed any lines. Maybe his final comment before saying 'see you later' could have been phrased better, but it sounds like he actually listened and admitted he issue was open to debate and then people decided to start cutting him off and shouting at him. I'd have to see a video but from the transcript it doesn't sound like he reacted the way they intended--which is by shouting back.

That sounds take by Christie standards. Is he going to continue supporting Common Core though? Jeb Bush is probably trying to think of a way to flip flop on that shit.

Vlad

I haven't followed it too closely, but what's people's problem with Common Core?

I was watching the news the other morning (local Fox channel, pretty much the only channel showing news in the morning instead of the "Good Morning America"-type garbage), and there was a terrible report about how people were protesting Common Core somewhere. They talked about how there was this big controversy, and showed clips from a town hall meeting with parents saying how bad Common Core was, and that was it.

They never actually said what the controversy was. Even though they're a Fox station, they're usually decent for news, so I was kind of surprised at the shoddiness of the story. I tried doing a little digging on my own, but all I could find about Common Core that would approach a controversy were some poorly worded math problems and the fact that <gasp> it teaches climate change and evolution as scientific fact.

Is that it, or is there more that people are complaining about?

Tamanon

Banned
I haven't followed it too closely, but what's people's problem with Common Core?

I was watching the news the other morning (local Fox channel, pretty much the only channel showing news in the morning instead of the "Good Morning America"-type garbage), and there was a terrible report about how people were protesting Common Core somewhere. They talked about how there was this big controversy, and showed clips from a town hall meeting with parents saying how bad Common Core was, and that was it.

They never actually said what the controversy was. Even though they're a Fox station, they're usually decent for news, so I was kind of surprised at the shoddiness of the story. I tried doing a little digging on my own, but all I could find about Common Core that would approach a controversy were some poorly worded math problems and the fact that <gasp> it teaches climate change and evolution as scientific fact.

From what I can gather, most people against Common Core are against any sort of national education regulation. They want their local schools to teach the way they decide, even though most parents give any input into school.

Wilsongt

thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/07/01/3454502/is-your-governor-a-climate-denier/

A map of the states in which governors are idiots.

This is a goddamn shame.

Tamanon

Banned
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/georgia-showdown-guns-everywhere

“Essentially, it involved one customer with a gun on his hip when a second customer entered with a gun on his hip," Childress said.

According to the Daily Times, the first man, Ronald Williams, approached the second man in the store and demanded to see his identification and firearms license. Williams also pulled his gun from his holster, without pointing it at the second man. The second man responded by saying that he was not obligated to show any permits or identification -- then he paid for his purchase, left the store, and called the police.

Police responded to the call around 3 p.m. Tuesday, and Williams was arrested on a charge of disorderly conduct for pulling his gun in the store.

Who knew people were totally cool with carrying guns anywhere until they realized someone else would be carrying a gun too?

Fuchsdh

So it looks like more and more companies want to dodge taxes. I simply won't support them.

I really wish this act of reincorporating with a foreign entity would be made illegal.

I don't really see what you can do to actually prevent this sort of stuff. Even if you lower tax rates and close loopholes, companies are going to have a vested interest in lowering their tax burden however they can, especially if the US is willing to time and time again say, "okay, this is the last time" when they lower tax rates on repatriated cash.

FyreWulff

Corporate ballwashing leads to a point that once you hit a certain amount of money, you can stop paying for the infrastructure you are using to make your money.

There seems to be a strong relationship between percentage male and batshit insane laws

tumblr_n7zfu9QcGZ1tzyzjdo1_1280.png

I dunno . . . I'm not interested enough to follow the story.

But I find this quite amusing because weren't the conservatives the ones that pushed so hard for testing and certain standards? And wasn't it largely a group of GOP Governors that came up with Common Core?

And now some big piece of the conservative base has decided Common Core is some conspiracy theory or something and is against it. They can't make up their minds, they are irrational. Go Figure.

Can anyone provide better insight?

But I find this quite amusing because weren't the conservatives the ones that pushed so hard for testing and certain standards? And wasn't it largely a group of GOP Governors that came up with Common Core.

And now some big piece of the conservative base has decided Common Core is some conspiracy theory or something and is against it. They can't make up their minds, they are irrational. Go Figure.

This is a group of people with very anti-public education views, and are even more wary of "government" mandated education standards/curriculum. I was homeschooled from 3rd to 9th grade and while my parents were not opposed to public education, the curriculum we used was deeply rooted in that mentality. The idea being that young people are more liberal than young people from previous generations due to liberal, biased education systems. Therefore the only way to preserve America is to "retake" the education system (hence defunding national education and the rise of private and charter school choice)

Notice the outrage over the literature lists BTW. They're arguing teenagers shouldn't be "forced" to read The Bluest Eye due to sexual and "racist" content. One thing I notice among evangelicals is a distrust and outright disdain for art that questions any status quo belief. The concept of literature questioning one's views, or making you think differently, is dangerous to many of them. So a book like The Bluest Eye is labeled as propaganda for a certain worldview, and cannot be considered...simply a book people can analyze, question, debate, etc.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

But I find this quite amusing because weren't the conservatives the ones that pushed so hard for testing and certain standards? And wasn't it largely a group of GOP Governors that came up with Common Core.

I honestly have no idea. Apparently it's come from the National Governor's Association. I've seen some of the math problems for elementary school kids and frankly they need to take it back to the workshop before rolling it out. We had a similar problem a number of years ago when NYState tried to revamp how it teaches math, only common core seems even more incomprehensible, which is saying a lot considering the proposed standards NYS came up with made fractions almost impossible to understand.

Retro

Citing the newly-established precedent of corporate-religious exemption, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled Tuesday in favor of JCPenney, upholding the company's right to sacrifice pure-hearted employees in order to assuage the Dread Lord Cthulhu, Bringer of Madness.

The Penney estate, devout cultists and owners of the multibillion-dollar chain of mid-range department stores, joined by CEO Mike Ullman, sued the government in 2012 when new federal employee protections made it illegal for them to hire virgin maidens for the sole purpose of spilling their blood on the Altar of the Cosmos, with the hope that such an offering will prolong the Great Old One's slumber in the sunken city of R'lyeh.

“We're not opposed to the practice of protecting and celebrating life set forth by your quaint, human Biblical standards,” said Ullman last week on Lou Dobbs Tonight. “But JCPenney is not that sort of company, for in his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming. We see through the insignificance of your primitive ape society to the coming storm of insanity that is His rise.”

The case of Thurston v. JCPenney was decided 5-4, with the traditionally conservative justices forming the majority. Justice Kennedy, often the court's sole swing vote, was seen by reporters to be looking about warily and muttering to himself through much of the proceedings, as if hearing voices that weren't there.

“Our discomfort with the beliefs and practices of their faith must not supersede their religious freedoms,” Justice Scalia wrote in the majority ruling. “By upholding corporate rights, we protect the rights of the individuals who compose the corporation, at the mere cost of a bi-weekly ritual sacrifice of the still-beating heart of a nubile intern or receptionist.”

Employee rights advocates proved vocal both before and after the ruling came down, many accusing JCPenney of hiding their true intention: the warping of the cultists' minds through the hideous transgression of human sacrifice, bringing them more in line with the Dark Lord prior to his awakening.

“The majority's ruling sets a frightening precedent for our nation,” Justice Sotomayor wrote in the dissent. “Would the court extend to the Tcho-Tcho people of Chaugnar Faugn the freedom of cannibalism, or grant commitment-free zoning permits to the Chesuncook Witch Coven for erecting their subterranean shoggoth pits? This ruling opens the door to such atrocities.”

JCPenney, meanwhile, wishes to spare no time revitalizing its business model with the former, government hands-off approach. Additionally, they say, stores nationwide will soon be offering thousands of part-time, non-union job positions for low-income women and high school graduates. (source)

Lost it at "subterranean shoggoth pits."

Why do so many white people want to use the n-word

I was actually talking to a friend of mine (who is black) the other night about this and he was just like "You know, white people got to use that word for 250some years, let us use it for 250some years and then in 2300 we can trade back"

Why do so many white people want to use the n-word

I was actually talking to a friend of mine (who is black) the other night about this and he was just like "You know, white people got to use that word for 250some years, let us use it for 250some years and then in 2300 we can trade back"

Because they feel it's not fair that black people can call white people "crackers" and address each other as the n-word, but are never accused of being racist, but white people can't. It's also more than that.

You can't call them "illegal immigrants/aliens", they're "undocumented workers".
You can't say "crippled", you have to say "disabled".
You can't criticize Islam, that makes you Islamophobic.

FyreWulff

"bu bu i can't use the spanish word for black?"

They care more about 'getting around the rules' than the effect it has on the other person. Also, you know the most spanish that person uses is "taco".

The problem I have with Common Core is they have stopped teaching mathematics. Word problems and answers have replaced actual calculations. When I help my daughter with her homework, I first have to solve the problem mathematically, then figure out how to make a word answer out of it. It would be one thing if it easily conveyed the correct answer, but it seems to make it harder. I've thought it could be an attempt to make the curriculum so that any teacher, not just someone trained in math, could teach it.

I'm pretty sure Pakistani and Indian people are referred to as Asian in much of the rest of the world, I know England for sure

they are in the UK. confused the hell out of me.

The problem I have with Common Core is they have stopped teaching mathematics. Word problems and answers have replaced actual calculations. When I help my daughter with her homework, I first have to solve the problem mathematically, then figure out how to make a word answer out of it. It would be one thing if it easily conveyed the correct answer, but it seems to make it harder. I've thought it could be an attempt to make the curriculum so that any teacher, not just someone trained in math, could teach it.

the point is to teach thinking skills. Not necessarily 'math'. Not everybody needs to know "math" but everybody in today's world needs to know how to take a problem and figure out a way to solve it. its more difficult because it doesn't use the algorithms which we use because someone told us them. what they're trying to teach imo is how those were developed.

Word problems are ultimately more important than simply asking a kid what 4 times 7 is. Teaching children how to think about math is quite important and gives teachers a nice gauge of how much students understand.

Truth be told most people don't use "math" in real life or professionally. But teaching people how to think about math and how to APPLY things is important to various field (accounting for instance).

Truth be told most people don't use "math" in real life or professionally. But teaching people how to think about math and how to APPLY things is important to various field (accounting for instance).
Everyone uses math in real life. Dealing with your bank account, getting a loan, doing your taxes, building a deck, counting change, doubling a recipe size, etc.

However, lots of people are quite poor at math and hence rent-to-own, pay-day loans, gambling, lotteries, bad MPG cars, underwater car loans, expensive car leases, etc.

Everyone uses math in real life. Dealing with your bank account, getting a loan, doing your taxes, building a deck, counting change, doubling a recipe size, etc.

However, lots of people are quite poor at math and hence rent-to-own, pay-day loans, gambling, lotteries, bad MPG cars, underwater car loans, expensive car leases, etc.

"He who refuses to do arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense."
-- John McCarthy

AndyD

aka andydumi

I think your examples fit within his description. In that it is math but applied to solve a problem/reach a goal, not math for math's sake.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

They teach it the old way too. They just start with common core to get you an understanding of what those numbers actually mean. Without an understanding of that, teaching just the number equations is pointless because they'll never know when to properly use those equations.

At least that's the theory anyway. Empirically the data seems to show a small advantage with common core style standards over states who don't have it. However it's a bit too early to know if these new national standards are going to help or hurt overall.

A lot of the problem is that you have thought about math in only number equations all your life, so when asked to answer a question without using number equasions, it's understandably a bit difficult, but that doesn't mean it doesn't make sense after just a little bit of teaching.

You can go through all 4 videos in about 40 minutes if you want to get caught up in this new way of talking about numbers.

EDIT: I could have sworn that guy did videos using the number line on the addition/subtraction, but I guess that wasn't it, so I removed those links.

EDIT2: I guess you can get at the updated to work with common core videos at the khan academy website itself.

We really need to differentiate between "math" and "arithmetic" at this point. Most people don't use math but everyone must use basic arithmetic in their every day lives.

On that note, Discrete Math (logic, probability, counting) needs to be taught as an actual class sometime in early high school. A lot of math and arithmetic is based around that and the four classes I ended up taking in college for my major that relied on those principals helped me understand everything so much better than dealing with just algebra, geometry, and calculus and word problems.

Gotchaye

In general, when I see sites like National Review post up examples of terrible Common Core math problems, the objections seem silly. Like here: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/373840/ten-dumbest-common-core-problems-alec-torres

Some examples are where it looks like probably someone made a simple mistake designing the problem (forgetting to shade the slices of shapes). But mostly it looks like complaining that kids are being taught math in a way that isn't the way the author was taught math such that the answer isn't immediately obvious to the author because he doesn't understand the terminology or notation.

There's also a tendency to complain that students aren't just memorizing multiplication tables, which seems bizarre. The point of a lot of this "unnecessary complication" clearly is to make the problems unnecessarily complicated, such that students have to spend some time thinking about them instead of being able to just spit out a memorized answer without reflection.

Even granting that Common Core doesn't teach the process of calculation as well, surely nowadays it's more important than it's ever been for students to understand when to calculate and less important than it's ever been for students to be proficient at calculation. We all carry around calculators everywhere we go. It's much more important to be able to ball-park a close answer than it is to be able to calculate a precise one.

Except that "calculations" are not really math. They are just computations (or busy work, really). It's how you end up with people that can do derivations but have no idea what a derivative actually is outside of the application of the theory.

I actually believe that logic and sets should be introduced to kids before arithmetic and the number system. Then we'd have fewer people that are hung up over the universality of numbers and are incapable of thinking of them in any other way but the one they were taught.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom