• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh. Did you seriously type that last paragraph? And then post it? I'm embarrassed for you. For real. My face. So red right now.
I feel worse for the people that bow down to their corporate masters like peasants. You don't want to use birth control? Fine, don't use it. But don't let yourself be controlled by your boss on your own private matters.

Apparently they'll only figure it out when some Muslim boss forces them to follow some Islamic superstition.

I'm not going to entertain the nonsensical 'fiction' argument again that fails to understand the proper meaning of 'fiction' in the context.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
OK, last post from me for the night.

(1) Then why limit it to closely held corporation, if the decision maker (CEO) of a corporation ascribes to a religion that believes that some types of contraception violates his/her religious beliefs should not that corporation (despite what the stock holders voted since they continue to hold stock and thus agree with the CEO) be afforded the same rights as a closely held corporation in your standard? . . .

(2) The physical acts of living human beings also pay military contractors and I don't think we want to down that slope of whether an employee of a company who is a military contractor can be fired for not doing their job due to religious reasons related to pacifism and not killing their fellow man. . . .

(3) As absurd and cruel as this sounds... if the US currency was aborted fetuses then no, a company can still deal in trade under current law. It is up to the corporation to decide if it wants to engage in the aborted fetuses economy or the trade economy. Unless you were to propose that the nation remove itself from the aborted fetuses standard which would require an act of congress. . . .

(4) The constitution is at issue and the constitution doesn't give a damn whether it is costly or difficult to abide by it. The RFRA must be found to adhere to the constitution, thus, the constitution is at play.

(1) These questions get into the internal management of a large corporation, which is why the Court didn't address them. This holding is limited to closely held corporations because the parties before the Court were closely held corporations.

(2) No, let's go down that slope: an employee of a military contractor can be fired for not doing his or her job, regardless of his or her reasons. Case closed.

(3) Alright, the absurdity was my fault. But my point was that the law's not going to let the government impose real burdens on real people just because the government pretends it's imposing the real burden on fake people.

(4) Are you arguing that the Constitution requires that lawsuits against business organizations name every owner and treat the organization as an aggregate? That's the only way the Constitution would be relevant to what I said. (You may want to review this string of comments once you're sober before responding.)

(A) So I feel like that's probably the wrong place to object to the ruling. . . .

(B) First, there's the weird "maybe this doesn't apply to blood transfusions or vaccinations" bit. . . .

(C) But the part I have a particular problem with is the finding that the insurance mandate constitutes a "substantial burden". This is really indirect.

(A) I agree with this, and I'm surprised that Ginsburg and Sotomayor objected to this part of the holding in Ginsburg's dissent.

(B) I guess I can see your point if we're talking about a prudential decision to address the differences. In other words, maybe it would have been better for the Court to suggest some potential differences to silence critics who detect papist motives. After all, not everyone is going to understand immediately that the Court doesn't address issues not presented in the case before the Court. I've found Roberts to be quite sensitive to public perception of the Court--see his discussion of the proper role of the courts with respect to legislation in NFIB v. Sebelius, for instance--and so maybe it would have been better if he had written the opinion.

In the end, I can't knock them for not having done that, though. There was going to be large portion of the population that found something to complain about no matter how thorough the Court's treatment of hypothetical criticisms.

(C) I also think the Court could have done a better job explaining what constitutes a "substantial burden." From the opinion, it's unclear whether it's the nature of the thing demanded, or the amount of the penalty for noncompliance, or something else entirely. I don't think the answer is what you suggest, though--that is, I don't think it's how much time is required to comply. Remember, Hobby Lobby believes that providing the contraceptives would (or, at the very least, could) make it complicit in ending a human life, which Hobby Lobby considers immoral. I don't think they'd take much comfort in realizing that they're really just paying someone to pay someone to set up a system and handle payments. To illustrate why I think that's the wrong approach, imagine a pacifist told to execute a prisoner of war. All he has to do is pull the trigger--that's nothing, right? But, as I hope is clear, to the pacifist, that's everything.

I feel worse for the people that bow down to their corporate masters like peasants. You don't want to use birth control? Fine, don't use it. But don't let yourself be controlled by your boss on your own private matters.

Apparently they'll only figure it out when some Muslim boss forces them to follow some Islamic superstition.

I'm not going to entertain the nonsensical 'fiction' argument again that fails to understand the proper meaning of 'fiction' in the context.

Soooooooooo reeeeeeeeeed. They haven't even named this shade of red yet.

Gah. It's glowing!

A corporation is a "person" in legal terms but that does not mean it does all the things a real person does.

Yes, a corporation is protected from unlawful search & seizures. It also has Free Exercise of Speech rights. This is what is meant when it is called a "person."

But a corporation has no capability of exercising religion. It cannot pray. It cannot walk into a church. It cannot keep Kosher. That's exercise of religion. If you say Hobby Lobby can exercise religion because its owners do, then there is no Hobby Lobby the "person."

What Hobby Lobby did is argue that the people who own Hobby Lobby are indistinguishable from Hobby Lobby the corporation.. This is, in fact, an extreme concept (and contradictory to Citizens United btw). At no point have we ever viewed the shareholders of a corporation as the "person" that is the corporation. They have always been completely separate entities.

Either corporations are made up of people are they are people. They cannot be both. We have always had the latter used as the definition for corporations and Hobby Lobby changed that.

So yes, the Opinion written by Alito was very extreme.

Gotchaye

(C) I also think the Court could have done a better job explaining what constitutes a "substantial burden." From the opinion, it's unclear whether it's the nature of the thing demanded, or the amount of the penalty for noncompliance, or something else entirely. I don't think the answer is what you suggest, though--that is, I don't think it's how much time is required to comply. Remember, Hobby Lobby believes that providing the contraceptives would (or, at the very least, could) make it complicit in ending a human life, which Hobby Lobby considers immoral. I don't think they'd take much comfort in realizing that they're really just paying someone to pay someone to set up a system and handle payments. To illustrate why I think that's the wrong approach, imagine a pacifist told to execute a prisoner of war. All he has to do is pull the trigger--that's nothing, right? But, as I hope is clear, to the pacifist, that's everything.
I didn't mean to be saying that it's all about how much time something takes. I was mostly talking about how directly involved the people at the top are in actually implementing this. The person who pulls the trigger is much more directly involved in taking that particular life than is the person who captured the PoW in the first place, who is much more directly involved than the general who planned the war in which the PoW was taken, who is much more directly involved than the politician who voted for war, who is much more directly involved than the taxpayer who funds the war. I feel like it's generally going to be the case that people with pacifist leanings are going to object to everything on that list up to some entry and then not object to the later entries. Also somewhere in there you've got people who work in factories which produce ammunition for the war, and battlefield medics who patch up soldiers so that they can go back to the war. Figuring out what counts as a substantial burden is complicated, but clearly being on one end of a long chain of money, some indeterminate part of which is going to the thing being objected to, and not having to think too much about whether or not to act, is close to the insubstantial extreme.

Like, a general rule that major shareholders of companies have to, on request, go pick up whatever contraceptive method an employee requests, deliver it in person, and then help apply it if necessary is clearly a problematic requirement for more reasons than just that it's stupid. If a shareholder has a strong objection to the use of contraception, this is forcing them to work against their values in a pretty big way. It can reasonably be construed as barring people who are deeply opposed to contraception from being major shareholders of companies. Somewhere between that and requiring the shareholders to direct employees to follow some standard set of guidelines coming from somewhere else, I lose the intuition that we're compelling behavior which is inconsistent with strong moral objection to contraception, except insofar as taxing them and then subsidizing contraception is inconsistent with their moral objection. The latter can't reasonably be construed as requiring sincere opponents of contraception to get out of business except insofar as the government subsidizing contraception can be construed as requiring that sincere opponents of contraception start refusing to pay taxes.

Jooney

Deny me contraceptive coverage if old.

tr401atg-w484h484z1-24817-notorious-r-b-g-type.jpg

Akainu

http://i.imgur.com/FU9cbb2.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/xl2vVib.png

Who fucking writes this shit? The spanish thing is so stupid. Are there non spanish white people going around all black people negro with the proper pronunciation? Would they call a group of black women negras?

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/georgia-showdown-guns-everywhere

Who knew people were totally cool with carrying guns anywhere until they realized someone else would be carrying a gun too?
Police can't ask to see permits? How is that okay?

+288k on Jobs, UE down to 6.1%. +29k total for April (now 304k) and May (now 224k) revisions.

Looks like Obama's, Kay Hagan's numbers are going to collapse; Republican wave incoming.

Participation rate continues to be bad. People still can't find work, outside of the bad service jobs being piled up right now. Not a bad report but the structural damage remains.

Participation rate continues to be bad. People still can't find work, outside of the bad service jobs being piled up right now. Not a bad report but the structural damage remains.

You're either trolling again or you're just assuming because...why? You can't look for the participation rate to be high because the baby boom began 68 years ago, and you can't tell what the jobs specifically are from these aggregated data.

You need to do some research and become more well informed.

You're either trolling again or you're just assuming because...why? You can't look for the participation rate to be high because the baby boom began 68 years ago, and you can't tell what the jobs specifically are from these aggregated data.

You need to do some research and become more well informed.

You're right, the retirement boom continues to play a role alongside disability. However even the participation rate amongst young people is at record lows*. Yet the amount of discouraged "young" workers continues to be a problem, and the labor market remains weak.

*The potential bright side of this is that with so many younger people staying in school because they can't find jobs, in a few years we could see an increase in participation as they graduate into a healthier economy.

thefro

I don't think we'll ever see 400-500k jobs a month gained again as a normal thing due to the changes in the economy and how much more efficiency companies can run.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
I'll watch it later on, although the phrase "threats to american liberty" in the title is already setting off my bullshit alarms, so we'll see how much of it I can make it through.

And, y'know, it's on the youtube account of the John Birch Society.

I don't think we'll ever see 400-500k jobs a month gained again as a normal thing due to the changes in the economy and how much more efficiency companies can run.

True, not to mention how automated a lot of stuff will be in the future. In the mean time I do think we could reach 400-500k again due to healthcare and the service industry, plus drilling and/or green jobs. But long term...ouch. Glad I went into accounting.

President Obama: Well, unfortunately, we have a Congress that’s broken down. And I know that a lot of times people who are watching what’s happening in Washington sort of feel like, “You know, a plague on both their houses. Democrats, Republicans, they’re all the same. None of them care about us.” But the truth is that we have a very specific problem. We have a House of Representatives that is so ideologically driven at this point that they are not able to carry out basic functions of government. So we saw this during the government shutdown.

The idea that we would shut down the government based on a notion that we’ve got to drastically cut the basic safety net — despite the fact that the deficit has come down by more than half during my presidency — is not based on common sense, it’s not based on any sound economic theories. It’s based on the ideological predispositions of a handful of folks who are currently calling the shots in the House of Representatives. The same is true, we just recently saw, with immigration reform; we have bipartisan support for immigration reform.

We know that the economy would grow faster, that we would end up seeing $1.4 trillion in additional growth in the United States if in fact we passed immigration reform. We know that there are companies across the country, particularly in the high-tech sector, that are begging to have highly skilled immigrants — who we’ve trained, we’ve paid for and are now going back to their home countries to start businesses — stay here in the United States.

Despite all that, we still couldn’t get the House of Representatives to act, primarily because of politics, primarily because they’re captive of a small ideological band inside their caucus. And so, I don’t think this is a permanent state of affairs; I think over time the Republican Party will move back to the center, mainly because if they don’t, they’ll never win the presidency again.

Obama laying down the truth bombs.

Unfortunately won't get much exposure

Vlad

CHEEZMO™;119366090 said:
And, y'know, it's on the youtube account of the John Birch Society.

Actually, I had never heard of them before you linked that video. I just can't keep up with all the various BS factories.

AntoneM

(2) No, let's go down that slope: an employee of a military contractor can be fired for not doing his or her job, regardless of his or her reasons. Case closed.

The reason DOES matter, could you honestly say that a slaughter house who hired a mulsim person to work in thier chicken department can fire said person for not working in the pork section when ordered to? I just wanted to get back to this as I think you're saying that the religious convictions of an individual are outwieghed by the "religious convictions" of a corporation. Is that what you're saying?

Metaphoreus

The reason DOES matter, could you honestly say that a slaughter house who hired a mulsim person to work in thier chicken department can fire said person for not working in the pork section when ordered to? I just wanted to get back to this as I think you're saying that the religious convictions of an individual are outwieghed by the "religious convictions" of a corporation. Is that what you're saying?

The RFRA doesn't apply to matters of private employment. The Muslim worker could not demand to be exempt from working in the pork section under the RFRA. This is a bad analogy.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

How so? The government can't force a corporation to do something against that corporation's 'personal' religious beliefs, but apparently a company can force an individual employee to do something against their personal religious beliefs. At least, that is what it looks like to me.

Metaphoreus

How so? The government can't force a corporation to do something against that corporation's 'personal' religious beliefs, but apparently a company can force an individual employee to do something against their personal religious beliefs. At least, that is what it looks like to me.

The government can force a corporation or other person to do something that burdens the person's exercise of religion, but only if the prerequisites spelled out in the RFRA are satisfied. But the RFRA applies equally to individuals and (at least closely held) corporations.

The RFRA doesn't apply to burdens on religious exercise imposed by private persons, regardless of whether the burden is imposed on an individual or a corporation.

I lile how the best news jobs report is filed away from mainstream news and the headline is about idiots leaving theie kids in cars (cnn).

Only negative stuff makes news.

Particle Physicist

The government can force a corporation or other person to do something that burdens the person's exercise of religion, but only if the prerequisites spelled out in the RFRA are satisfied. But the RFRA applies equally to individuals and (at least closely held) corporations.

The RFRA doesn't apply to burdens on religious exercise imposed by private persons, regardless of whether the burden is imposed on an individual or a corporation.

Here is the rub, or at least my rub... how often will a private person place burden of religious exercise on a corporation? The government makes laws and regulations that companies must abide by. Within those laws and regulations, they then create their own 'regulations' with which employees must abide by. In essence, corporations are protected from government laws/restrictions if they impose on their religious freedoms (as long as they don't meet the prerequisites), but individuals apparently are not protected from corporations which may impose on their religious freedoms.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/381726/tragedy-israel-rand-paul

Remember how rand was an isolationist and promised a restrained foreign policy?

I call for all aid to the Palestinian Authority — every penny — to be cut off. Not one more U.S. taxpayer dollar should flow to Hamas or to the Palestinian Authority as long as it is allied with Hamas.

This is a doozy
I think it is clear by now: Israel has shown remarkable restraint. It possesses a military with clear superiority over that of its Palestinian neighbors, yet it does not respond to threat after threat, provocation after provocation, with the type of force that would decisively end their conflict.
Congrats Israel, you've help your self back from ... well... killing every one?

I don't usually wade into Israel discussion, but it's that like congratulating a country for not using the military on its own citizens?

I think what he's saying is they don't launch a full scale invasion with Israeli troops everywhere and subjugating to the people to a US style Iraqi invasion? doesn't really make much sense when you realize, you know, they already occupy and blockade the entirety of palestine.

I just don't know how much they could escalate things.

Particle Physicist

I don't usually wade into Israel discussion, but it's that like congratulating a country for not using the military on its own citizens?

Palestinians in Gaza and the West Bank are not Israeli citizens. They are refugees living within a territory controlled by Israel. The argument of whether they should or shouldn't be considered citizens is a different one though. So that is not technically the same thing.

His comment is complete bullshit though since they do constantly respond in a disproportionate manner.

Metaphoreus

Here is the rub, or at least my rub... how often will a private person place burden of religious exercise on a corporation? The government makes laws and regulations that companies must abide by. Within those laws and regulations, they then create their own 'regulations' with which employees must abide by. In essence, corporations are protected from government laws/restrictions if they impose on their religious freedoms (as long as they don't meet the prerequisites), but individuals apparently are not protected from corporations which may impose on their religious freedoms.

There are limited protections for religious liberty against employers, including corporate employers. For instance, it's illegal under federal law to discriminate against employees or prospective employees on the basis of religion.

But generally, yes, the law permits private parties to reach whatever bargain they care to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom