• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
Who fits this mold, in your opinion?
AVKtsmj-600x600.jpg

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Ruh roh:

[A] new poll shows precisely why: It's because it's killing the GOP among swing voters.

The McClatchy-Marist College poll shows political moderates oppose the impeachment of Obama 79 percent to 15 percent. That's a stunning margin. And not only that, if the House GOP did initiate impeachment proceedings, moderates say it would turn them off so much that they would be pulled toward the Democrats. By 49-27, moderates say impeachment would make them more likely to vote Democratic than Republican in 2014.

Americans say 58 percent to 34 percent that the GOP should not sue Obama, and moderates agree 67-22. Moderates also say by a 50-25 margin that the lawsuit makes them more likely to back Democrats in 2014.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Regulation has grown by leaps and bounds over the last century. Of course larger and larger corporations are forming. That's the entire point as an infinite number of small operators can't be made into allies as easily. And there's less of a place for the iron triangle. Nothing has been regulated and re-regulated over the last 25 years like the health care and financial markets and what's happened? Greater and greater centralization and monopolization. The two latest pieces of legislation on these creates even greater incentives. The ACA will lead to fewer larger and more powerful insurance companies and Dodd-Frank is leading to fewer larger and more powerful banks and financial institutions. (Both will fail the masses, while a bunch of cronies get fatter and the state will "rescue" us by assuming control so it's win-win in the end. Except for all the people who suffer but fuck them, they'll vote regardless.)

Didn't we have major consolidation of banks after Reagan de-regulated the industry? Funny how we were doing fine all those decades before without any crashes and whatnot.

FyreWulff

Didn't we have major consolidation of banks after Reagan de-regulated the industry? Funny how we were doing fine all those decades before without any crashes and whatnot.

Yep. There used to be tons of local banks in my hometown, now it's almost all nationally owned ones.

We may be at the start of a big change in current political climate and no one has been cynical enough to talk about . . . Commander in Chief Obama.

Things are floundering along and Obama is catching flak for everything. The economy is actually doing pretty good but for whatever reason, Obama gets no credit. So Obama is not looking so good . . . well, time to steal a page out of the GOP playbook: war. ISIS are pretty much universally viewed as huge evil douchebags. And they've caused a humanitarian crisis. Obama got pushed passed his breaking point and launched air strikes. And although he's said that there will be no boots on the ground, he has also said that this is a long term project.

So Obama gets to be Commander in Chief approaching an election. The GOP won't be able to help themselves and criticize everything he does. And this could come across as being petulant, divisive, not supporting the troops, etc. And a big difference with this operation is that we have a huge ally on the ground with the Kurds. I'm sure we are striking a deal of providing them with airstrikes, military equipment, and military training in exchange for their operations on the ground against ISIS.

If this goes well, this may change the political climate. People like watching child-murderers and rapists being hit by guided weapons.

Edit: And oh, yeah . . . go ahead and try to impeach the Commander in Chief during wartime for not implementing part of law you don't like when you didn't want it implemented. Good luck with that.

benjipwns

Banned
How exactly was the banking industry deregulated by the Reagan Administration? What regulations specifically were removed? And how did they lead to major consolidation of banks? I ask because people say things like "California deregulated electricity" when it actually shuffled and increased regulation in a disastrous manner. Including setting the equivalent of price and production controls. (And with the curiously offered help of Enron who just happened to specialize in selling non-existent products.)

How many banks failed during the 1980s recession before Reagan signed any legislation related to banks? So the recessions of the 50s (especially 1958) and 60s along with the stagflation and default of 1973-1982 didn't happen? At which point in this time were banks "properly regulated" and when were they deregulated and reregulated in order to stabilize or destabilize the economy?

This is just since 1997 and stop before Dodd-Frank so you can easily see why these industries have been consolidating over the last 15 years:
QKd733K.png

In 1996 there were 9,208 banks and thrifts across the country, according to the FDIC. By midyear 2012, that number had fallen nearly 30 percent, to 6,581.

http://qz.com/138036/how-the-rise-of-modern-regulation/
alerts.jpg

How are local banks supposed to meet regulations written by and designed for major wall street, national and international banks? Especially when it's only the latter banks that don't have to take the lumps when they fuck up.

The rise of the credit union didn't happen in a vacuum. (Now there was something the Reagan admin did try to change the regulations on, and the banks sued over it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCUA_v._First_National_Bank_&_Trust)

Who fits this mold, in your opinion?

No fp experience and no domestic accomplishments? Obama, and I doubt voters will want another person like that.

On paper, Brian Schweitzer is a great candidate, has experience, would be liked in Iowa...but has been pretty off kilter lately. I can imagine him being forced out of the race after saying something stupid/sexist.

I agree, but thanks to gerrymandering we basically can't.

well, no, we basically can't for the first two election cycles of a given set of gerrymandering

even as deep as 2010 was in that sense, 2016 still has a distinct possibility of being 2006 redux

Just look at President Anderson and Perot!

in defense of the concept of independents winning a national election, Perot was up there in 1992 (up until that bizarrely-timed dropout halfway through the campaign)

HylianTom

Banned
No matter whom the Dems nominate, we won't see much change because of the degree to which the opposition in Congress is deranged.

So the GOP has to be forced into a situation where they're either electorally non-viable, or where they suddenly become.. sane. Either that, or we need to see the party's ashes scattered into the wind, with a new, saner entity arising to fill the vacuum.

Losing yet another White House bid will further that plotline. In the meantime, nothing much is going to change or get accomplished, aside from maybe some decent court appointees being placed.

Just look at President Anderson and Perot!

2012 California

Democrats make up 43.5 percent of all registered voters in the state compared with 29.6 percent for Republicans, while nearly 21 percent of registered voters declared no party preference and another 6 percent declared for other parties, such as Green and American Independent.

http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/More-young-voters-register-unaffiliated-4147453.php

Bring on the (I).

No fp experience and no domestic accomplishments? Obama, and I doubt voters will want another person like that.

On paper, Brian Schweitzer is a great candidate, has experience, would be liked in Iowa...but has been pretty off kilter lately. I can imagine him being forced out of the race after saying something stupid/sexist.
No, I mean who would be an "experienced" candidate in your eyes. This can include Republicans too.

Schweitzer is a tool.

I just find it interesting that she's reverting back to the exact same behaviors that caused her to lose in 2008. Aura of inevitability/arrogance, doubling down on gaffes/mistakes (ie the ridiculous "we were broke when we left the WH" comment), and hawkish rhetoric. I'm not convinced Hillary would be as hawkish as claims but still, it's troubling.

Yeah, this is the real punchline of your isolationist views . . . your gal Hillary would have dropped far more bombs than Obama. She would have had airstrikes against Syria.

The national review continues hiring racists

East St. Louis, Ill. — ‘Hey, hey craaaaaacka! Cracka! White devil! F*** you, white devil!” The guy looks remarkably like Snoop Dogg: skinny enough for a Vogue advertisement, lean-faced with a wry expression, long braids. He glances slyly from side to side, making sure his audience is taking all this in, before raising his palms to his clavicles, elbows akimbo, in the universal gesture of primate territorial challenge. Luckily for me, he’s more like a three-fifths-scale Snoop Dogg, a few inches shy of four feet high, probably about nine years old, and his mom — I assume she’s his mom — is looking at me with an expression that is a complex blend of embarrassment, pity, and amusement, as though to say: “Kids say the darnedest things, do they not, white devil?” It’s not the last challenge like this I’ll get here where the sidewalk ends, or the most serious one. I start off in Hinsdale, Ill., hometown of Pat Quinn, America’s Worst Governor™, a borough of stone mansions and yoga-panted women with vastly complex Starbucks orders, where I admire the Gordon Abbott house designed by the draftsman William Drummond from Frank Lloyd Wright’s shop, and then journey Marlow-like down U.S. 55, the dyspeptic alimentary canal of Illinois, from the shadows underneath the gloomy turret of the Joliet penitentiary to the stagnation of Normal and Bloomington, across the vast stretches of lightly populated Corn Belt and through the almost-as-empty state capital at Springfield, where the only sign of life is a convention of legionnaires in their jaunty, flare-intensive garrison caps, then onward and downward toward the Mississippi until finally arriving at my terminus in East St. Louis, where instead of meeting my Kurtz I get yelled at by a racially aggrieved tyke with more carefully coiffed hair than your average Miss America contestant.

This is all in the first paragraph!

https://www.nationalreview.com/nrd/articles/383587/where-sidewalk-ends

The national review is a racist institution, it has a long and storied history of this crap.

Williamson is always paraded around as such a good 'narrative journalist' with 'probing stories', in reality he's a racist in love with his verbosity and ability to insert meaningless references and unnecessary adjectives (well, necessary to reveal his dislike of black people).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ever notice how Obummer's trips coincide with unrest somewhere in the world? Or a major crisis occurring?

It's almost as if he plans to be away and not leading during these times. He's avoiding his duties as President.

Time to Impeach!

He's like the Daily Show, world goes to shit when he takes time off.

What people say and what people vote are two different things.

You're arguing that no one will vote for an independent.

You do realize we're talking about a CURRENT Senator, that ran as an independent right?

Meaning people said they would vote for him, and then did vote for him? Multiple times? For both the house and senate?

Yeah, this is the real punchline of your isolationist views . . . your gal Hillary would have dropped far more bombs than Obama. She would have had airstrikes against Syria.

Not sure I buy that. A lot of her hawk talk strikes me as posturing, as I said yesterday: the allure of talking tough when you have no responsibilities. She's certainly more hawkish than Obama, but if she received the same intelligence briefings Obama received I could see her not attacking. The biggest difference is that Hillary wouldn't make herself look like a fool by drawing a "red line" and then not doing anything. That being said, I think Obama deserves some credit for not being bullied into doing something stupid.

Conservatives are defending the racist piece I posted because describing a black kid as a primate, questioning his parentage, comparisons to heart of darkness, etc isn't racist, some white people posted funny pictures of bush looking like a monkey!

Conservatives are defending the racist piece I posted because describing a black kid as a primate, questioning his parentage, comparisons to heart of darkness, etc isn't racist, some white people posted funny pictures of bush looking like a monkey!

I guarantee the piece was specifically written with those defenses in mind. Primate comparison=bububu Bush; illegitimate children=bububu Palin rumors. etc. I can't get outraged over a piece of shit like that, and just take solace knowing his ilk is politically fucked due to simple math.

Wilsongt

Some conservatives are fucking idiots.

More news at 11.

I guarantee the piece was specifically written with those defenses in mind. Primate comparison=bububu Bush; illegitimate children=bububu Palin rumors. etc. I can't get outraged over a piece of shit like that, and just take solace knowing his ilk is politically fucked due to simple math.

I just hate the national reviews continued racism from their perch as the 'respectable conservatives'

Everbody knows drudges and breitbart's racism. But the National Review as a long and storied racist history but its constantly seen as a 'shock'

HylianTom

Banned
Hillary will be gone in four or eight years. Her replacement for Scalia or Kennedy (or Ginsburg) will likely be there for decades. Take John Paul Stevens for example.. appointed in 1975, resigned in 2010. We aren't just talking about a little 4-year term here.

Plus, the electorate won't move leftward until the GOP is absolutely broken. If they win the Presidency, their motivation to moderate is invalidated; if anything, they'd be emboldened to move rightward.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hillary is so uninspiring it might cause me to stay home in 2016.

You shouldn't discount the historical significance factor, people will want to say they voted for the first female president. She doesn't need to be inspiring, she just needs to be competent. The GOP's candidate and people's perceptions will do the rest.

Hillary=two Supreme Court Justices, (presumably) no stupid wars, further Obamacare implementation, more judges. If you can't see the benefit of that then I dunno why you're here.

Same reason I agree with Ann Coulter: if you're a republican this year, you should vote for any republican in November. Winning the senate should be the goal (if you're a republican). If you stay home you're not serious.

Not sure I buy that. A lot of her hawk talk strikes me as posturing, as I said yesterday: the allure of talking tough when you have no responsibilities. She's certainly more hawkish than Obama, but if she received the same intelligence briefings Obama received I could see her not attacking. The biggest difference is that Hillary wouldn't make herself look like a fool by drawing a "red line" and then not doing anything. That being said, I think Obama deserves some credit for not being bullied into doing something stupid.
Ah. Love is blind.

The left doesn't bring it up. It is just a response to the endless golf and vacation criticism of the right.

They bring it up to criticize Bush and protect obama. It gives credence to the whole idea. The left did it a lot with Bush. And who cares if they right is doing it? They don't and won't care about rationalizations or comparisons. That's not how politics works.

FiggyCal

Banned
They bring it up to criticize Bush and protect obama. It gives credence to the whole idea. The left did it a lot with Bush. And who cares if they right is doing it? They don't and won't care about rationalizations or comparisons. That's not how politics works.

It's to bring reality to their criticism so that those that aren't insane don't fall prey to the right's lies.

Seems there is still some meat to chew on.

I don't want to speak for Brawndo too much, but I believe he was getting at wasn't that it's immorally and illegitimately gained in a way that someone who believes in private property would think it is, but that someone could see (and argue) that, as a concept, private property is immoral and illegitimate, and is inherently coercive, aggressive, and violent.

Yes that my was intended point. Not to say that private property can't also be obtained through nefarious means within its own system as you mention.

I would imagine if they reject self-ownership then they just believe all things including people should be their property and would have no issue with using violence to make it so.

Well now you have to be careful with conflating self-ownership and property. One is not the other, and denying self-ownership does not imply belief in ownership of others. And wouldn't the more reasonable assumption be that one who denies self-ownership is more likely to deny private property then endorse it? Not that you couldn't have both. And you seem to have a thing for leaping to slavery, which is ironic considering that slavery should be legal under a system of true self-ownership. Why should you be able to infringe on my right to trade a life of labor for a substantial up-front sum after all?

I would suggest that the competing systems have some sort of arbitration party or agreement they involve. As is currently done in many fields, including internationally.

I find this fascinating as I cannot understand why one would reject the notion that only an individual may own themselves. Or find exemptions.

But here's the rub. You suggest that these competing justice systems, let's call them Justice Corp and Law Inc, use arbitration or something like it to resolve the conflict. But there is a very big difference between can and must. The crux of the issue is whether Justice Corp has to come to some kind of conflict of laws agreement with Law Inc to resolve this dispute or whether Justice Corp can enforce the contract regardless of whether other competing justice systems exist. Unless they must do that, Justice Corp can just enforce the contract against the other son who was not a party to it, no voluntary submission to force required. Surely we wouldn't mandate that Justice Corp create agreements with all the other competing private justice systems, for that would be a positive duty.

As for the second point, I'm surprised you find it so confounding. There are plenty of non-Western conceptions of property that would not fit into a capitalistic system. Perhaps you are assuming that a denial of self-ownership entails a denial of autonomy? If you'd like to go deeper, I'd just ask you to provide your definition of "self", "ownership", "self-ownership (if different when compounded)", and any other necessary terms that might be wrapped up in that, otherwise I can't be sure I'm discussing what you are actually talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom