• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's strange that the GOP seemingly dropped Benghazi, IRS, and Obamacare going into the elections. Those three "issues" were their bread and butter for the past 2 years.

Benghazi . . . well, It is hard to make Obama look like the secret Muslim when he's bombing Muslims.

IRS . . . that will come back. They'll keep asking questions because of the missing emails.

Obamacare . . . LOL, except for some super-red-places, they've realized this is a loser issue now that many people have it.

benjipwns

Banned
Fox News poll came out with Generic Ballot up to +7 GOP, which has pushed the RCP average to +2.5, highest since December 2013.

We could be looking at 300+ seats in the House and a near sweep in the Senate. I saw that Durbin's seat is in play now.
He's only up ELEVEN!

Meanwhile, left-wing radical RINO Boehner sells out to Obama:
QUESTION: Is this being rushed through too quickly? Do you think there needs to be more debate? Do you think this is something the congress will regret?

SPEAKER BOEHNER: The president on Tuesday while at the White House made this request, the specific request to have the ability to train Syrian rebels. I wanted to make sure that members have ample time to have the conversation about, started today and it will continue and we'll make a decision sometime next week on how we will proceed.

QUESTION: Chairman McKeon just told a group of reporters that the decision has been made for two votes, a vote on the authorization and then a vote on the C.R., is that true?

BOEHNER: That’s not true.

Q: The chairman has it wrong?

BOEHNER: Look me in the eye. There is no decision to be made on how we're going to proceed.

Q: Could you tell us what your preference is? Do you believe it would be best to have a separate vote on the title 10 authorization apart from the C.R. or are you ok embedding title 10 authorization within a much larger legislative piece?

BOEHNER: No decision has been made. While we had a conversation with members today, these are serious discussions. This is a very serious issue and ought to be handled that way. And that's why these conversations are going to continue over the weekend so that -- so that the Congress has ample time to consider the president's decision and act on it.

Q: Mr. Speaker, do you think based on all the information that's been given that the Syrian fighters will be a competent approach? Many Americans are concerned about U.S. arms going to a force we don't know everything about. Do you think they can be effective?

BOEHNER: Based on all the information that I’ve looked at, the free Syrian army has by and large been very well vetted by our intelligence officials. Today they are in a fight against Assad. They’re in a fight against ISIL, and they are in a fight against another al Qaeda affiliate in eastern Syria. And they're about to get run over. An F-16 is not a strategy. And air strikes alone will not accomplish what we're trying to accomplish. And the president's made clear that he doesn't want U.S. boots on the ground. Well, somebody's boots has to be on the ground. I believe what the president has asked for, as the commander in chief, has the authority to train these Syrian rebels. Frankly, we ought to give the president what he's asking for.
Q: Do you think the president is wrong, then, to take U.S. combat troops on the ground in Syria off the table right now?

BOEHNER: Listen, we only have one commander in chief. He laid out his plan. I would never tell the enemy what I was willing to do or unwilling to do. But he is the commander in chief. He made that decision. At this point in time, it's important that we give the president what he's asking for. And we've got to keep our eye on the ball. The issue here is about defeating a terrorist threat that is real and imminent.

Fox News poll came out with Generic Ballot up to +7 GOP, which has pushed the RCP average to +2.5, highest since December 2013.
That must be a really tight likely voter screen. They had Democrats up 7 in their last poll but that was of registered voters.

I don't think 2010 even had such a disparity between RVs and LVs.

benjipwns

Banned
Here's the poll release, not a news story despite what the link looks like: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/int...p-has-advantage-in-upcoming-midterm-election/

The Fox News Poll is conducted under the joint direction of Anderson Robbins Research (D) and
Shaw & Company Research (R). The poll was conducted by telephone with live interviewers
September 7-9, 2014 among a random national sample of 1,000 registered voters (RV).
A subsample of 833 has been defined as likely voters (LV), with a margin of sampling error of
plus or minus three percentage points.

Results are of registered voters, unless otherwise noted.

RV has it 45-41, LV 47-40.

In "battleground states only" it has it 47-37 for RV and 53-35 for LV lol

The civil liberties movement is over, folks.

9-10-2014_1.png

9-10-2014_2.png

I don't want y'all to have missed the minority outreach Bill Cassidy is doing to take the LA Senate seat from Mary Landrieu:

Cassidy, a Baton Rouge Republican and the establishment GOP’s best hope to unseat U.S. Sen. Mary Landrieu, told the Environment & Energy Daily that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, a Democrat, “runs the Senate like a plantation.” Throughout the day, demands have come in for Cassidy to apologize for the remark.

Rob Maness, another (Tea Party) Republican in the Louisiana Senate race, demanded that Cassidy “immediately apologize” for using a term “that is incredibly offensive to many Americans.”

Cassidy defends the remark. In a prepared statement, he says that Reid runs the Senate dictatorially by blocking votes he doesn’t want. Cassidy calls any other interpretation of his remarks, in his words, “a false controversy.”

His campaign and the Republican National Committee reminded media that Landrieu had not handed over a report of an attorney’s review of her air travel records. RNC Chairman Reince Preibus tweeted asking why the report hasn’t been released yet: “Has @SenLandrieu released an audit of her taxpayer-funded private flights yet?”

benjipwns

Banned
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/10/us-usa-politics-dsouza-idUSKBN0H52GL20140910
The U.S. government wants conservative author and filmmaker Dinesh D'Souza to be sentenced to as much as 16 months in prison, following his guilty plea to a campaign finance law violation.

In a Wednesday court filing, federal prosecutors rejected defense arguments that D'Souza was "ashamed and contrite" about his crime, had "unequivocally accepted responsibility," and deserved a sentence of probation with community service.

The government said a 10- to 16-month prison sentence was appropriate for D'Souza, and necessary to deter others from abusing the election process, including "well-heeled individuals who are tempted to use their money to help other candidates."

It also said D'Souza waited to "the last possible moment" prior to trial before admitting guilt, and then went on TV shows and the Internet to complain about being "selectively" targeted for prosecution, and having little choice but to plead guilty.

"Based on the defendant's own post-plea statements, the court should reject the defendant's claims of contrition on the eve of sentencing," prosecutors led by U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara in Manhattan said in the filing.

The government said a 10- to 16-month prison sentence was appropriate for D'Souza, and necessary to deter others from abusing the election process, including "well-heeled individuals who are tempted to use their money to help other candidates."
lol

They just made a hero out of him.

Only to loons. He committed a crime and he admitted it. What are we supposed to? Let him off because he has lots of extremist supporters?

Let them whine . . . it just serves to illustrate that they don't care about the rule of law and they'd rather have a theocracy.

It also said D'Souza waited to "the last possible moment" prior to trial before admitting guilt, and then went on TV shows and the Internet to complain about being "selectively" targeted for prosecution, and having little choice but to plead guilty.

"Based on the defendant's own post-plea statements, the court should reject the defendant's claims of contrition on the eve of sentencing," prosecutors led by U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara in Manhattan said in the filing.

What an a-hole.

Allende was actually pretty unpopular when he was President and would've most likely have lost the next election in 1974 if the coup didn't happen.

That was a point I wanted to point out in the thread but I was too worried that the person who adores Pinochet would call me out of it as revisionist history.

I do find it odd that people are actually defending Pinochet. His regime literally froze wages of the poor for two decades.

Tim-E

I wish Natalie Tennant would just a start acting like the Democrat she is instead of the WV senate campaign looking like a Republican primary. She's going to lose anyway, may as be honest at this point.

This state is going to have a Republican senator for the first time since 1959. The legislature is likely going to have a Republican majority for the first time since fucking 1928. A 37 year democratic representative has a shot at losing his seat in the House.

Get me out of here.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Has Bruce Ackerman's NYT op-ed been discussed yet?

Obama's Betrayal of the Constitution

Bruce Ackerman said:
PRESIDENT OBAMA’s declaration of war against the terrorist group known as the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria marks a decisive break in the American constitutional tradition. Nothing attempted by his predecessor, George W. Bush, remotely compares in imperial hubris.

Mr. Bush gained explicit congressional consent for his invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq. In contrast, the Obama administration has not even published a legal opinion attempting to justify the president’s assertion of unilateral war-making authority. This is because no serious opinion can be written.

This became clear when White House officials briefed reporters before Mr. Obama’s speech to the nation on Wednesday evening. They said a war against ISIS was justified by Congress’s authorization of force against Al Qaeda after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, and that no new approval was needed.

But the 2001 authorization for the use of military force does not apply here. That resolution — scaled back from what Mr. Bush initially wanted — extended only to nations and organizations that “planned, authorized, committed or aided” the 9/11 attacks. . . .

Not only was ISIS created long after 2001, but Al Qaeda publicly disavowed it earlier this year. It is Al Qaeda’s competitor, not its affiliate.

Mr. Obama may rightly be frustrated by gridlock in Washington, but his assault on the rule of law is a devastating setback for our constitutional order. His refusal even to ask the Justice Department to provide a formal legal pretext for the war on ISIS is astonishing.

Tim-E

Obama's waiting until the elections are over later this year to announce that he is going to end terms limits and elections. All hair King Obama.

#tbt to when Kay Hagan was a #GodlessAmerican

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKwoknj7gu8

Only in the South.

I wish Natalie Tennant would just a start acting like the Democrat she is instead of the WV senate campaign looking like a Republican primary. She's going to lose anyway, may as be honest at this point.

This state is going to have a Republican senator for the first time since 1959. The legislature is likely going to have a Republican majority for the first time since fucking 1928. A 37 year democratic representative has a shot at losing his seat in the House.

Get me out of here.

I'm surprised it's taken West Virginia this long to go full red.

Metaphoreus

Wars "on" things are not the same things as war with nation-states. The "War on Terror" was not a declared war, but a catchphrase. Has anything Obama has authorized regarding ISIS fallen outside of the well-established limits on police actions and war powers already authorized? If so, please point to them.

From my link:

Bruce Ackerman said:
Since ISIS poses a new problem for the president, the War Powers Resolution of 1973 requires him to seek a new mandate from Congress. The resolution, enacted over President Richard M. Nixon’s veto at the end of the Vietnam War, requires the president to obtain congressional assent within 60 days of commencing “hostilities”; if he fails, he must withdraw American forces within 30 days.

The administration gave Congress the requisite notice on Aug. 8 that it had begun bombing ISIS, and so the time for obtaining approval runs out on Oct. 7. But Mr. Obama and his lawyers haven’t even mentioned the War Powers Resolution in announcing the new offensive against ISIS — there is no indication that he intends to comply with this deadline. . . .

In 2011, when Mr. Obama continued to bomb Libya after the 60-day limit, his lawyers argued that America’s supporting role in the NATO campaign was not substantial enough to quality as “hostilities” under the 1973 resolution. This claim provoked howls in Congress and the legal community, but the death of the Libyan dictator, Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi, took the steam out of the debate before it could be resolved.

Even if the Obama line on Libya were accepted, however, it fails to justify his current move. Rather than “leading from behind” by backing NATO, Mr. Obama is now taking the lead in an open-ended campaign, extending from Iraq into Syria, that could last years. If this isn’t commencing “hostilities,” what is?

Metaphoreus

So he's got nearly a month left in his deadline. Got it.

Let me know when I should howl loudly...

Do you think the president will seek Congressional authorization for his strikes against ISIS? Do you think he's required to by law (he doesn't)? Do you think he should even if he isn't required to by law (like this guy does)?

I posted the article to spur discussion, not to inform you that we've reached the point where "howling loudly" is called for.

AntoneM

Has Bruce Ackerman's NYT op-ed been discussed yet?

Obama's Betrayal of the Constitution

Bruce has one problem he didn't address. Almost since it was passed a phrase has been read into the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Terrorist (AUMF). Although it's not in the AUMF, the phrase "affiliate forces" has been read into it by the DoD to authorize attacks all over the world on any terrorist cell loosely affiliated or split off from Al Qaeda.

To say that Obama overstepped Bush in this regard is nonsense. To say they both overstepped is accurate and to say the AUMF gave both way to much power is accurate.

And yes, I saw his argument that ISIS is not affiliated with Al Qaeda and I think that argument is bullshit since the leaders and members were affiliated before going on their own.

Metaphoreus

Bruce has one problem he didn't address. Almost since it was passed a phrase has been read into the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Terrorist (AUMF). Although it's not in the AUMF, the phrase "affiliate forces" has been read into it by the DoD to authorize attacks all over the world on any terrorist cell loosely affiliated or split off from Al Qaeda.

To say that Obama overstepped Bush in this regard is nonsense. To say they both overstepped is accurate and to say the AUMF gave both way to much power is accurate.

He actually does address this:

Bruce Ackerman said:
In justifying earlier bombing campaigns in Yemen and Somalia, the administration’s lawyers claimed that the 2001 authorization covered terrorist groups that did not even exist back then. They said it sufficed to show that these groups were “affiliated” with Al Qaeda.

Even this was a big stretch, and it is not big enough to encompass the war on ISIS. Not only was ISIS created long after 2001, but Al Qaeda publicly disavowed it earlier this year. It is Al Qaeda’s competitor, not its affiliate. . . .

But for now the president seems grimly determined to practice what Mr. Bush’s lawyers only preached. He is acting on the proposition that the president, in his capacity as commander in chief, has unilateral authority to declare war.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom