• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
I think the article is a little inflammatory, but generally I agree that the President should be seeking authorization for this action. We need to transition out of the convention that the President can deploy military force whenever he chooses.

In general, I think that a real and meaningful danger of the current situation is that we've begun to accept bypassing Congressional authority, both because the President's actions appear to be in keeping with the desires of the majority of the nation, and because there are several members of Congress who don't actually have a problem with the President's actions (and might even support them) as long as they don't have to vote for it. In fact, a big part of the problem is that it's understood by a lot of us that Congress could pass bills authorizing many of these actions if they were allowed to come up for a majority vote in both houses.

Congress's unwillingness to govern means that government, which has to get done, is starting to route around it. But that's actually not a great precedent for the system of checks and balances.

I think the article is a little inflammatory, but generally I agree that the President should be seeking authorization for this action. We need to transition out of the convention that the President can deploy military force whenever he chooses.
I think we'd have that with a more functioning Congress.

pigeon

Banned
I think we'd have that with a more functioning Congress.

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm trying to say, I guess.

This should really be a slam dunk, given that the GOP has been criticizing Obama for failing to act. But the House of Representatives currently can't be trusted to pass legislation it agrees with.

WPA is unconstitutional it's congress encroaching on the presidents power. The whole division between commander in chief vs power to declare war is a paradox and a mistake or at best an anachronism.

The congress has the ability to stop any action, withdrawal or forbid funding. They can even due it preemptively to in essance perform the function that people demand. Beyond that the hand wringing about executive overreach is partisan or anti war angry their policy solutions aren't being followed.

Asking congress for approval for every action is absurd and the distinction the war powers act is purely political. It admits the president can act with out congress but then sets up artificial limits for 'approval'. If they disapprove they can make it immposible but not spending the money.

That's in the constitution and the war Powers act.

The president is free to conduct dipolmacy or use the military as he wishes unless its legally forbidden. They've been doing this since day 1. The founders when they became presidents acted without congress.

This is not an unreasonable argument, but it's not the argument Obama is making.
I agree. Obama has been absolutly horrible at lying about his reasons and authorities to do things. Same with the ACA. The tax argument was so logical but he couldn't day that because politics.

2U49sUH.jpg

Crist email.

Its a flashing drudge style gif too.

Edit: lol cnn graphics

Another race that's unfortunately going against the Dems is the Governor race in Connecticut. Malloy is my second favorite governor next to Jerry Brown and his opponent Tom Foley has taken a solid lead against Malloy over the past couple of weeks.

Grownup Congressman Mark Sanford Announces Breakup on Facebook

Grownup_Congressman_Mark_Sanford_Announces-806edc420c4fa2d3a301b4864fa750b3

The former South Carolina governor who resigned after disappearing for a romantic getaway with his Argentinian girlfriend has deigned to update the public on his latest personal foibles with a 2,346-word Facebook post.

Sanford (R), who won election to the House again in 2013 after defeating Stephen Colbert's sister, buries the lede a bit, but the gist is that his ex-wife, Jenny, is taking him to court again, and he also has decided to break off his engagement to the Argentinian woman, Maria Belén Chapur.
http://news.yahoo.com/grownup-congressman-mark-sanford-announces-breakup-facebook-211130201.html

I lost it at that headline.

WTF?! I thought everyone in Florida hated Scott. How is he even still viable?
He's spent millions in negative ads against Crist who's only started fighting back. The only effect it's had is driving Crist's numbers down - Scott's stayed in the low 40s and that's probably where he'll end up.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The headline is just the start of that insanity. There's no part of this article that isn't funny.

WTF?! I thought everyone in Florida hated Scott. How is he even still viable?

Never underestimate the GOP base, they'd support a Republican even if he promised to kill all their children and showed them the gun he would use.

He's spent millions in negative ads against Crist who's only started fighting back. The only effect it's had is driving Crist's numbers down - Scott's stayed in the low 40s and that's probably where he'll end up.

That means that as long as Christ starts fighting back now he has a good shot. No one in Florida likes Voldemort except his supporters, so all Christ has to do is convince people to turn out. If he can convince everyone else that Voldemort is, well, Voldemort then he's won.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Q: I always understood you as being an Ayn Rand aficionado. But you distanced yourself from her writing during the campaign. What’s your real view of her?

A: No, I wasn’t distancing. I adored her novels when I was young, and in many ways they gave me an interest in economics. But as a devout, practicing Catholic, I completely reject the philosophy of objectivism.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/09/what-ryans-latest-answer-about-rand-means.html

I know this isn't news, but Paul Ryan's such a clown.

Jooney

Federal Appeals Court Permits Wisconsin Voter ID Law

CHICAGO — A federal appeals court on Friday permitted Wisconsin to restore a requirement that voters provide photo identification before casting their ballots, allowing the long-debated state law to take effect in time for a hard-fought election on Nov. 4.

The order, which came surprisingly swiftly, on the same day that lawyers made their arguments before a panel of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, was seen as a significant victory for advocates of such voting requirements. Opponents of the laws had viewed the Wisconsin case as opening a novel legal basis for their efforts in federal courtrooms.

In their order, the panel of three judges described Wisconsin’s requirement as “materially identical” to a statute in Indiana, which was upheld in 2008 by the Supreme Court. The panel also noted that Wisconsin had introduced new procedures to make it easier to obtain photo identification cards, reducing concerns raised months ago by a federal court judge who had blocked Wisconsin’s law, saying that it disproportionately affected blacks and Latinos.

“This reduces the likelihood of irreparable injury, and it also changes the balance of equities and thus the propriety of federal injunctive relief,” the appeals panel, which stayed the earlier court’s injunction, said. The order was unsigned, but the panel included Frank H. Easterbrook, who was nominated to the court by President Ronald Reagan, and Diane S. Sykes and John Daniel Tinder, both of whom were nominated by President George W. Bush.

It's a wonderful day when the States can throw off the yolk of oppression and free themselves from the Federal Government plantation.

Wilsongt

Pelosi Diablosing.

During her appearance on Real Time Friday night, Nancy Pelosi spoke with Bill Maher about the GOP’s very real chances to take the Senate in this year’s midterm elections. And Maher wanted to know exactly what would change if they did, since Washington is so deeply gridlocked already.

Pelosi said, “It would be very important for the Democrats to retain control of the Senate. Civilization as we know it today would be in jeopardy if Republicans win the Senate.”

That last sentence Pelosi appeared to be half-joking about, but she was dead serious about Democrats needing to win in November. She explained, “It would be very important for the Democrats to retain control of the Senate. Civilization as we know it today would be in jeopardy if Republicans win the Senate.”

He won in 2012 by 8%, flipping it is possible.
It's an Obama district too. Kline is just one of those establishment Republicans in a swing district who no one seriously challenges, which is unfortunate since when he retires there won't be any party infrastructure in place to pick up his seat (this is how Paulsen got elected in 2008 relatively easily). The Democrat in the race is decent and ran in 2012 iirc

Wilsongt

Lindsey Graham is being insufferable with his "I told you so" rhetoric.

“Apparently nobody’s been listening to what Senator McCain and I have been saying for the past three years!” a revved-up Graham answered. “We said train the Free Syrian Army so they can take this fight on. Instead of training the Free Syrian Army, the president overruled his entire national security team and abandoned the Free Syrian Army.”

I think some of these pundits need to start re-evaluating what constitutes a "wave"

If the GOP wins the Senate majority just by picking up AK, AR, LA, MT, SD, WV then is that really a wave? All of those states voted hard against Obama in both elections (with the exception of Montana in 2008). If the Democrats lose it's just because the demographics caught up with them in AR/AK/LA.

Whereas the Democrats have the advantage in states like CO, IA, MI, NC, NH - blue-to-purple states that define the presidential battleground.

Wilsongt

I think some of these pundits need to start re-evaluating what constitutes a "wave"

If the GOP wins the Senate majority just by picking up AK, AR, LA, MT, SD, WV then is that really a wave? All of those states voted hard against Obama in both elections (with the exception of Montana in 2008). If the Democrats lose it's just because the demographics caught up with them in AR/AK/LA.

Whereas the Democrats have the advantage in states like CO, IA, MI, NC, NH - blue-to-purple states that define the presidential battleground.

Republican deluge of 2014 and 2016. Whole country goes red and votes in Palin/West. The conservative team we need an deserve.

I'm seeing more and more positive articles about dems chances. I'm still not sold though.

They've shored up a lot of what they were losing this summer and NC looks good but they still have to have amazing turn out in LA, AK or AR and I'm just not hopeful. I think well see a 51-49 split. Not the end of the world but not good.

Still far from Obama killing the party.

I'm seeing more and more positive articles about dems chances. I'm still not sold though.

They've shored up a lot of what they were losing this summer and NC looks good but they still have to have amazing turn out in LA, AK or AR and I'm just not hopeful. I think well see a 51-49 split. Not the end of the world but not good.

Still far from Obama killing the party.
Gotta hold out for Kansas, brother. There's a good chance Taylor will be able to get his name taken off the ballot and there's no way Orman is going to caucus with the Republicans if it comes down to his vote.

And winning just one of Alaska, Arkansas, or Louisiana doesn't seem like much of a tall order when all three of those are tied at worst, especially since Begich in particular has been doing pretty well.

Gotta hold out for Kansas, brother. There's a good chance Taylor will be able to get his name taken off the ballot and there's no way Orman is going to caucus with the Republicans if it comes down to his vote.

And winning just one of Alaska, Arkansas, or Louisiana doesn't seem like much of a tall order when all three of those are tied at worst, especially since Begich in particular has been doing pretty well.
As someone who loved in LA. I don't trust the state and I just see national factors pulling AR.

AK I just don't know. I know know nothing about the state and its voters. I love the fact the senate might come down to the 50th state.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I am surprised no one us talking about the Palin family fist fight.

There was a thread for that I think. Not much to really discuss in here I'd imagine, especially given details of the incident are pretty light and Palin is increasingly irrelevant to the political process despite her poking up her head now and again to make some comment.

As someone who loved in LA. I don't trust the state and I just see national factors pulling AR.

AK I just don't know. I know know nothing about the state and its voters. I love the fact the senate might come down to the 50th state.
Journos are gonna have a lot to write about after this election.

And unfortunately none of it will be eating crow for bullshit like "Minnesota/Virginia/Oregon could be a tossup this year"

I am surprised no one us talking about the Palin family fist fight.
Who cares?

Speaking of Palin, considering her relevance is waning even in conservative circles do y'all think she might run a book tour presidential campaign in 2016 to try to salvage her career?

I'm seeing a surge in articles and reports suggesting Bernie Sanders is considering a Presidential run. The optimist in me loves the idea, but the realist believes it could lead to a Republican lead House, Senate, and President, which terrifies me...

Alternatively, he might actually stand a chance. He's a great politician with a lot of good intentions, but I don't think the Democratic party would ever willingly let him run. I think he would have a pretty solid shot if he made it on the ticket since the field of potential presidential candidates for the Republicans is pretty crappy.

I'm seeing a surge in articles and reports suggesting Bernie Sanders is considering a Presidential run. The optimist in me loves the idea, but the realist believes it could lead to a Republican lead House, Senate, and President, which terrifies me...

Alternatively, he might actually stand a chance. He's a great politician with a lot of good intentions, but I don't think the Democratic party would ever willingly let him run. I think he would have a pretty solid shot if he made it on the ticket since the field of potential presidential candidates for the Republicans is pretty crappy.

He won't win in either the primary or the general; the only reason he would run is to push the other candidates (ie Hillary) to the left in the primary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom