• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
TerriLynnLand_1.png

waaaaat is your avatar

Wilsongt

He may not do so terrible in the South, especially with minorities. Yes, he's not explicitly a minority, but he is all about social issues. By and large, minorities in the South use up way more tax money in the form of social programs per capita than most states in the North. So if they are presented with two choices, one saying "I'm the woman who's going to be just like my predecessor" and the other saying "I'm the man who's going to focus on the programs that citizens want and need unlike my last 8 predecessors", I think it could really go either way.

If you want to discuss something that could turn voters off, most glaring issue is his age--he'll be 75 by election day in 2016, which is quite old considering our past several presidents.

He was originally a Democrat but has served almost entirely as an Independent working very closely with the Democratic Party.

I can probably spoil it for you--drug legalization and LGBT rights.

Nope. A lot more boring. More about getting people out to vote, and something about climate change. That's about it.

Wilsongt

Purely symbolic, but Party of Women.

As expected, Senate Republicans filibustered legislation on Monday aimed at helping women fight for equal pay in the workplace, a vote held by Democrats to attack the GOP ahead of the 2014 midterm elections.

I swear, Krauthhammer looks like a fucking corpse.

Monkey Cage and Sam Wang have Dems favored, now. 538 and WaPo and I think Upshot have is barely GOP favored.

Everyone but Wang has it an essential toss-up.

As the fundamentals are removed by the model the closer we reach the election date, the polling matters more and so far the polling hasn't moved to the fundamentals.

I looked at 538's model, it feels like as races such as Michigan, New Hampshire, etc. stop having ~20% chances for the GOP to win for whatever reason, that alone will shift it in favor of the Democrats.

(lol)

I looked at 538's model, it feels like as races such as Michigan, New Hampshire, etc. stop having ~20% chances for the GOP to win for whatever reason, that alone will shift it in favor of the Democrats.

(lol)
In fairness, he also has a ~20% chance or so of Democrats winning Kentucky and Georgia which would cancel that out.

Although I think he's lowballing Kansas, along with a lot of other pundits.

Hagan up 4 by PPP, Likely R

Easy Tillis win.

I know it's too early to tell, but I wonder if Burr's seat will be in play in 2016. Assuming he's facing off against a quality democrat, I wonder if he could survive against another massive Dem turnout, like the ones seen in 2008 and 2012. Likewise, looking at the seats that are up in that year, it looks like Dems will have a majority in the Senate, regardless of what outcome happens this year.

I know it's too early to tell, but I wonder if Burr's seat will be in play in 2016. Assuming he's facing off against a quality democrat, I wonder if he could survive against another massive Dem turnout, like the ones seen in 2008 and 2012. Likewise, looking at the seats that are up in that year, it looks like Dems will have a majority in the Senate, regardless of what outcome happens this year.

McCrory is also up for re-election in 2016 as well so his unpopularity could boost Dem turnout.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Did anything come out from the recently revived #BENGHAZI! hearings?

Well, I've learned that it's not about some guy called Ben Ghazi. It's actually about something that happened in Libya that the GOP are trying to turn into a thing even though it isn't really a thing. Who knew, right?

Odds of winning, not number of seats.
Heh. That reminds me of when right-wing pundits were shitting on Nate for showing Obama at like 75% chance of winning. "THERE'S NO WAY HE'LL WIN 75% OF THE VOTE"

(Those same right-wing pundits are now trotting out his numbers gleefully now that they show Democrats losing)

PPP's Kansas poll has Orman up 7, 41-34. That's WITH Taylor still in the mix (he gets 6%) and unlike the SurveyUSA poll, PPP didn't tell respondents that Taylor dropped out. And with Taylor out, Orman leads 46-36.

With Democrats leading in IA, NC, CO, NH, etc. and Orman up in Kansas, I feel pretty good right now about Democrats at least reaching 50 with Orman - which means they'd have to pick someone else as majority leader (Orman said he's not voting for Reid), but that's a compromise I'm okay with seeing made.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
GOP Senators unveil National Labor Relations Board overhaul
Republican Sens. Mitch McConnell and Lamar Alexander introduced a bill on Tuesday that would restructure the National Labor Relations Board to keep an even balance between Democrat and Republican board members.

The NLRB currently has five top board members who oversee labor disputes between companies and employers.

Under the current arrangement, three of the board member are chosen by Democrats and two by Republicans.

McConnell’s and Alexander’s bill, called the NLRB Reform Act, would add a sixth board member and require the board to consist of three Republicans and three Democrats, like the Federal Election Commission.

The NLRB has flexed its muscle of late, most recently in a July 29 decision by General Counsel Richard Griffin to consider McDonald’s a joint employer in complaints brought by employees against individual franchisees. If upheld by the NLRB’s commissioners, the decision could leave McDonald’s liable for labor infractions committed against fast food workers not employed directly by McDonald’s.

“Our legislation is very simple,” Alexander said on the floor Tuesday. “It will change the NLRB from an advocate to an umpire.”
Man, Republicans really are doing anything they can to basically kill off the Labor Relations Board.

Heh. That reminds me of when right-wing pundits were shitting on Nate for showing Obama at like 75% chance of winning. "THERE'S NO WAY HE'LL WIN 75% OF THE VOTE"

(Those same right-wing pundits are now trotting out his numbers gleefully now that they show Democrats losing)

PPP's Kansas poll has Orman up 7, 41-34. That's WITH Taylor still in the mix (he gets 6%) and unlike the SurveyUSA poll, PPP didn't tell respondents that Taylor dropped out. And with Taylor out, Orman leads 46-36.

With Democrats leading in IA, NC, CO, NH, etc. and Orman up in Kansas, I feel pretty good right now about Democrats at least reaching 50 with Orman - which means they'd have to pick someone else as majority leader (Orman said he's not voting for Reid), but that's a compromise I'm okay with seeing made.
Really good news for Kansas, but I do have some questions about how the majority leader is picked. The name implies Reid only needs the majority of the majority to become majority leader, unlike the speaker of the house that needs a full majority vote, but I can't seem to find any information on if that's how that works.

pigeon

Banned
The Senate Majority Leader is a party position, not a "real" position like the Speaker of the House of Representatives. So he only needs to win his caucus.

The "real" position in the Senate, president pro tempore, is basically an honorary position today and is generally the senior senator of the majority party (although junior senators generally actually preside). Even though it is the position that formally exists, technically the Vice President is the real president of the Senate, so the president pro tempore doesn't have any meaningful power. So, although you do need a full majority vote to become president pro tempore, nobody would break ranks on it because it's an irrelevancy.

The Senate Majority Leader is a party position, not a "real" position like the Speaker of the House of Representatives. So he only needs to win his caucus.

The "real" position in the Senate, president pro tempore, is basically an honorary position today and is generally the senior senator of the majority party (although junior senators generally actually preside). Even though it is the position that formally exists, technically the Vice President is the real president of the Senate, so the president pro tempore doesn't have any meaningful power. So, although you do need a full majority vote to become president pro tempore, nobody would break ranks on it because it's an irrelevancy.

its a caucus vote.
I see. Interesting.

Although I suppose Orman would still have sway if he were to caucus with the Republicans unless someone else than Reid was chosen - in which case the Republicans would be in the majority.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I see. Interesting.

Although I suppose Orman would still have sway if he were to caucus with the Republicans unless someone else than Reid was chosen - in which case the Republicans would be in the majority.
Yeah, I guess it's possible both Orman and King could do some shenanigans if their caucus choice ends up determining control. Hopefully alaska, louisiana, or arkansas goes to the dems so that won't happen.

I see. Interesting.

Reid would give it up if Orman really demanded it.

Anyways Orman isn't winning. I don't see those polls as holding when the GOP lets people know Orman is pretty much the Democrat running and will vote with the dems.

AK is what the dems should rest their hopes on. IDK i just am distrustful of KANSAS putting in a Dem or not GOP. Kansas is probably the most GOP in their senate history

The Pro-Yes people in the scotland vote are baffling to me.

Its like Texas succeeding because they hate the current president and were once 200 years ago independent.

Reid would give it up if Orman really demanded it.

Anyways Orman isn't winning. I don't see those polls as holding when the GOP lets people know Orman is pretty much the Democrat running and will vote with the dems.

AK is what the dems should rest their hopes on. IDK i just am distrustful of KANSAS putting in a Dem or not GOP. Kansas is probably the most GOP in their senate history
The election is in less than two months and Roberts' numbers have actually gotten worse while Orman's have gotten better. And Taylor will probably be removed from the ballot. Yes, things can change but I don't see how you can say with certainty that Orman can't or won't win, I have no problem calling him the favorite based on the (admittedly limited) data available.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
At a breakfast for reporters Tuesday hosted by the Christian Science Monitor, the Republican governor attacked President Barack Obama for not fully taking advantage of the United States’ fossil fuel and energy resources.

“The reality is right now we’ve got an administration in the Obama administration that are science deniers when it comes to harnessing America’s energy resources and potential to create good-paying jobs for our economy and for our future,” Jindal said. “Right now we’ve got an administration whose policies are holding our economy hostage.”

Science hating liberals annihilated.

Oblivion

Democrats have reversed the partisan imbalance on the federal appeals courts that long favored conservatives, a little-noticed shift with far-reaching consequences for the law and President Obama’s legacy.

For the first time in more than a decade, judges appointed by Democratic presidents considerably outnumber judges appointed by Republican presidents. The Democrats’ advantage has only grown since late last year when they stripped Republicans of their ability to filibuster the president’s nominees.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/another-aspect-presidential-legacy-the-courts

Thank you based Harry Reid.

I still maintain that Reid is the most underrated Democrat in congress. Dare I say, second only to Pelosi. He's also the main guy involved in making sure Republican legislation lands in the toilet where it belongs. I worry for what'll happen if Reid's not there to prevent Obama from agreeing to sign Republican laws.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
New York senator wants to push for recreational marijuana in New York by 2015. Thoughts?

There's been a lot of talk about it since Cuomo took office. I'm all for it, but so far it hasn't amounted to much more than decriminalizing it. It's going to take political maneuvering akin to what got gay marriage passed for it to happen.

Oblivion

This video that nytimes put together interviewing Kentuckians about the health care law. Sweet Jesus.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/17/u...t-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

To paraphrase: I get all these benefits because of the law but I'm going to vote republican because I've always been that way.

The Affordable Care Act allowed Robin Evans, an eBay warehouse packer earning $9 an hour, to sign up for Medicaid this year. She is being treated for high blood pressure and Graves’ disease, an autoimmune disorder, after years of going uninsured and rarely seeing doctors.

“I’m tickled to death with it,” Ms. Evans, 49, said of her new coverage as she walked around the Kentucky State Fair recently with her daughter, who also qualified for Medicaid under the law. “It’s helped me out a bunch.”

But Ms. Evans scowled at the mention of President Obama — “Nobody don’t care for nobody no more, and I think he’s got a lot to do with that,” she explained — and said she would vote this fall for Senator Mitch McConnell, the Kentucky Republican and minority leader, who is fond of saying the health care law should be “pulled out root and branch.”

Well, on the plus side, Graves' disease should make her suffer real good like. Plus there's no cure.

Oblivion

Chichikov

I don't think they should in the US's case. Scotland I see their right. I just think its baffingly stupid and shortsighted and for undemocratic reasons.
Bullshit.
England is significantly more conservative than Scotland, and the scots are getting fucked repeatedly by both parties, their interests are not being served by Westminsters who quite honestly have a different vision for the country than the majority of scots.
If done right, Scotland can be a prosperous social democracy.

Even if the 'no' vote win (and I think it will) Scotland would achieve a whole lot from that referendum.

Also, what's undemocratic about that?

Bullshit.
England is significantly more conservative than Scotland, and the scots are getting fucked repeatedly by both parties, their interests are not being served by Westminsters who quite honestly have a different vision for the country than the majority of scots.
If done right, Scotland can be a prosperous social democracy.

Even if the 'no' vote win (and I think it will) Scotland would achieve a whole lot from that referendum.

Also, what's undemocratic about that?

Let's not forget how Thatcher destroyed their economy. It was the ultimate signal of which part of the Great Britain they really cared about.

Well 33% approving Democrats really isn't much better, but yeah it does seem strange for Republicans to have a comeback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom