• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

I said "Wow"

The Army's Top Sexual Assault Lawer Accused of Sexual Assault—at a Sexual Assault Legal Conference

The top Army prosecutor for sexual assault cases has been suspended after a lawyer who worked for him recently reported he’d groped her and tried to kiss her at a sexual-assault legal conference more than two years ago.

Two separate sources with knowledge of the situation told Stars and Stripes that the Army is investigating the allegations levied against Lt. Col. Joseph “Jay” Morse, who supervised the Army’s nearly two dozen special victim prosecutors — who are in charge of prosecuting sexual assault, domestic abuse and crimes against children.

Assaultception.

Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) asserted on Thursday that liberals did not understand that kids who got free lunches at school did not have parents who cared about them at home.

Speaking to the Conservative Political Action Conference, the former Republican vice presidential nominee argued that conservatives should let Democrats be the “party of personality,” while “we will be the party of ideas.”

“I’m optimistic about our chances because the left, the left just isn’t out of ideas, they’re out of touch,” he explained. “Take Obamacare — not literally, but figuratively here, okay? We now know that this law will discourage millions of people from working. The left thinks this is a good thing.”

Ryan insisted that liberals were only offering people “a full stomach and an empty soul.”

He then told a story of a “young boy from a very poor family” who received free lunches at school “from a government program.”

“He didn’t want a free lunch,” Ryan insisted. “He wanted his own lunch, one in a brown paper bag, just like the other kids.”

“He wanted one, he said, because he knew a kid with a brown paper bag had someone who cared for him. This is what the left does not understand.”

QU2Gk4q.gif

Teach a man to fish blah blah blah, give a man a fish blah blah blah

Give a child a lunch blah blah blah.

FyreWulff

I'm going to be entirely honest.

The idea of making kids pay for lunch at all has always been really stupid to me. The food is already made, whether they're buying it that day or not. Just cover it as part of the tax budget.

But lol at a kid having a lunch being provided for them in either case really caring which provider gave them their free lunch

Wilsongt

I don't understand the logic behind "Getting a free lunch = lol your parents hate you", sort of thing.

I mean, my parents hated me, yet I didn't have free lunch.

wanye lapierre left to titanium by david guetta playing

sample lyrics
You shout it out
But I can't hear a word you say
I'm talking loud not saying much
I'm criticized
But all your bullets ricochet
Shoot me down, but I get up

You shoot me down but I won't fall
I am titanium

Stone-hard, machine gun
Firing at the ones who run
Stone-hard as bulletproof glass

gg CPAC DJ

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Wait...
So these house fuckers who reject unemployment benefits extension bills, shutdown the government over the "runaway debt", and bitch about helping the poor just approved 1 billion dollars in aid to the Ukraine.

sigh

So even if we accept that children whose parents pay for their lunch are loved more, what happens to those who aren't loved? Do they go hungry, are they punished for their parents being poor, etc. Paul has explained the ideology, now...what is the policy.

Tamanon

Banned
I thought they were mad when food assistance programs went to food that was higher quality than they thought families deserved?

I fail to see how you can be against the school lunch program also in that case.

Aylinato

I guess republicans are the type of people to "punish children for the crimes/faults/being poor/bad luck of their parents" type now. Not that surprising, but it's always good to have evidence of their stances.

Chichikov

QU2Gk4q.gif

Teach a man to fish blah blah blah, give a man a fish blah blah blah

Give a child a lunch blah blah blah.
More like -
fjV0RgC.gif

yeah, I've rewatched house(u) recently.
For the party of ideas, he doesn't even have an idea for the made-up kid who didn't want to get free food, unless he's suggesting that the government would supply loving parents with disposable income for kids who don't have them.
And man, he's such a terrible party speaker.

p.s.
"Take Obamacare -- not literally, but figuratively here, okay?"
The fuck does it even mean?

Aylinato

Well, I took that as them saying that, using the logic they use

<tea party type logic>
that Obamacare means supporting a black man as president, and therefore any support of a black man means that they don't love their children so the black children shouldn't get food because their daddy doesn't love them and should "man up"
<tea party logic>

Because you know damn fucking well they would pay for a white girls lunch if they saw a picture because their fucking racists.

Basically any issue that could help black people has been the ones that republicans go after first.

Wait...
So these house fuckers who reject unemployment benefits extension bills, shutdown the government over the "runaway debt", and bitch about helping the poor just approved 1 billion dollars in aid to the Ukraine.

sigh

Well the loans are probably gonna come from the IMF/World Bank which will force crippling austerity on Ukraine and force them to sell off their public assets to multinational corporations while the IMF makes a handsome profit.

Naturally right wingers would love this.

The Paul Ryan Story isn't even true. LOLOLOLOL

Update: In the post above, I assumed that the basic anecdote recounted by Ryan is factually correct, which is total journalistic malpractice. Via Wonkette, the school lunch story appears to have been recycled from a story and altered beyond recognition in the process. The original story had nothing to do with a child turning down a free lunch. It's about a kid, Maurice, who met a private benefactor, Laura, asking to literally have his lunch placed in a brown paper bag:

“Look, Maurice, I don’t want you out there hungry on the nights I don’t see you, so this is what we can do. I can either give you some money for the week–and you’ll have to be really careful about how you spend it–or when you come over on Monday night we can go to the supermarket and I can buy all the things you like to eat and make you lunch for the week. I’ll leave it wih the doormen, and you can pick it up on the way to school.”

Maurice looked at me and asked me a question.

“If you make me lunch,” he said, “will you put it in a brown paper bag?”

I didn’t really understand the question. “Do you want it in a brown paper bag?” I asked. “Or how would you prefer it?”

“Miss Laura,” he said, “I don’t want your money. I want my lunch in a brown paper bag.”
“Okay, sure. But why do you want it in a bag?”

“Because when I see kids come to school with their lunch in a paper bag, that means someone cares about them. Miss Laura, can I please have my lunch in a paper bag?”
Now, it's possible Eloise met some other poor child who also has a paper bag fetish. But it sure looks like a game of Republican telephone where a poor child with a specific request for a woman helping him was conveniently transformed into a victim of the school lunch program.

Second update: Via Glenn Kessler, Anderson told this story before Ryan's last July 31st. Anderson, per the transcript, told Ryan's committee:

My thought has always been around the SNAP program even when it was called "food stamps" is, why do you have this program, school program, school breakfast, school lunch, school dinner, when do we start asking parents to be responsible for their children?

You know, a little boy told me once that what was important to him is that he didn't want school lunch, he wanted a brown bag because the brown bag that he brought with his lunch in it meant that his mom cared about him. Just think what we have done. If this kid tells me a brown bag was more important than a free lunch, we've missed the whole notion of parents being there for their children because we've taken over that responsibility, and I think we need to be very careful about how we provide programs to families that don't undermine families' responsibilities.

It sure looks like Anderson turned the story "An Invisible Thread" -- about a New York City boy -- into a child she met who scorned his government-provided school lunch. Or else she happened to meet a kid who said the exact same thing as the buy in "An Invisible Thread." It's also interesting that Anderson's conclusion from the (probably fake) story is that the school lunch program makes parents into lazy slackers, while Ryan's conclusion is that it robs children of their soul.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/03/paul-ryan-free-lunches-make-kids-soulless.html?mid=rss

It's literally a story taken from a book which Republicans misread. LOLOLOL

Fucking clowns.

e9f30c9b2a76024cec21e720fa6ebd6e

NATIONAL HARBOR, Md. — Former United Nations Ambassador John Bolton stoked rumors that he’s considering a presidential run on Thursday when he a took direct shot at possible Democratic presidential contender Hillary Clinton and said foreign policy — Bolton’s professional forte — should be at the center of the next election.

Speaking to thousands of Republican activists at the Conservative Political Action Conference here, Bolton, who served as U.N. ambassador under former President George W. Bush, said foreign policy should play an outsized role in future political debates. Bolton cited the attack on the American compound in Benghazi and called out Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton by name in his address.

http://news.yahoo.com/john-bolton-address-to-conservatives-heavy-on-2016-talk-172551850.html

Oh please be true! I so hope this Chicken-hawk-walrus runs.

Well the loans are probably gonna come from the IMF/World Bank which will force crippling austerity on Ukraine and force them to sell off their public assets to multinational corporations while the IMF makes a handsome profit.

Naturally right wingers would love this.

Well Ukraine could always turn down the loan, but on their current trajectory they're on the brink of economic collapse, so I'm sure they'll take it. Even with a lot of aid money I really doubt the government or citizens of Ukraine will actually accept doing all the reforms they need to do.

teiresias

Found it fairly amusing that the TV at the gym playing Fox News was showing coverage of CPAC but the closed captioning was misspelling Cruz's name as Crud.

"Crud took the stage at CPAC today."

I laughed.

Well, a liberal independent candidate is one way that the GOP still might able to win the presidency...
I think he's said he'll probably run as a Democrat.

He probably wouldn't win in a primary against Hillary, but maybe force her to the left - she's certainly popular enough that she could, and maybe pick someone like Sherrod Brown as her VP.

(Though she'll probably pick Warner for no other reason than to ensure he won't be replaced by a Republican, if Kasich is still in office)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wow, you guys have to see tonight's Daily Show. Aasif Mandvi just broke this Fox News guy's brain. Like you could literally see it shatter at one point during the interview. Plus it really shows how fucked up healthcare is in some places in the US.

Found it fairly amusing that the TV at the gym playing Fox News was showing coverage of CPAC but the closed captioning was misspelling Cruz's name as Crud.

"Crud took the stage at CPAC today."

I laughed.

His CPAC speech on foreign policy was basically "Does Obama support this? If yes, I'm against it. If no, I'm for it.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2...and_the_nightmare_of_iranian_emp_attacks.html

He really did give the best (or worst) of both worlds today. Bombing Syria? HELL NO! Invading Iran? FUCK YES!

(Though she'll probably pick Warner for no other reason than to ensure he won't be replaced by a Republican, if Kasich is still in office)

It's a shame because Warner is the embodiment of everything wrong in the Democratic Party today. From being an AIPAC shill to being the telecommunications industries biggest cheerleader in Washington.

I think he's said he'll probably run as a Democrat.

He probably wouldn't win in a primary against Hillary, but maybe force her to the left - she's certainly popular enough that she could, and maybe pick someone like Sherrod Brown as her VP.

meh. He wouldn't matter in the primaries. If anyone is going to pull Hillary left it'll be Schweitzer.

meh. He wouldn't matter in the primaries. If anyone is going to pull Hillary left it'll be Schweitzer.
Funny how the front-page DailyKosers cheerleading Schweitzer are the same ones bitching about Obama maybe-kinda supporting Keystone XL.

Schweitzer to me comes off as a liberal without a plan to achieve what he wants, he'd rather just complain while a Democrat is in office. I liked him but his comments about Hillary and Obama lately have been really shitty.

Schweitzer is far too moderate on environmental issues for me to take him seriously, but Hillary also was the one who lobbied for the EU to lessen their environmental regulations so it looks like we're looking at a lesser of two evils scenario here.

Schweitzer is far too moderate on environmental issues for me to take him seriously, but Hillary also was the one who lobbied for the EU to lessen their environmental regulations so it looks like we're looking at a lesser of two evils scenario here.

Quit waiting for candidates to change their opinion. Organize around an issue and force them to.

Do you think Obama himself opposes keystone?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
While it would be nice and all to have the first female president, I'd rather Hilldawg not win. She's more of a corporatist democrat than Obama.

Warren/Sanders 2016

Wow, you guys have to see tonight's Daily Show. Aasif Mandvi just broke this Fox News guy's brain. Like you could literally see it shatter at one point during the interview. Plus it really shows how fucked up healthcare is in some places in the US.

Link?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom