• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmarg

Whoops, accidentally posted in the primary thread so cross posting here:

So PoliGAF, does my queen need my vote in Texas or can/should I vote for Trump in the GOP primary.

Bernie was done after he failed to win Iowa, the only reason nobody admitted it is the media's need for a narrative and poligaf's need to Diablos.

Still, I don't think I could bring myself to vote for Trump, no matter what the calculus behind it is.

sphagnum

Banned
Actually, I guess it's sort of related but what are people's views on the likes of Soros and Saban and Spielberg donating millions to Democrats, setting aside they're donating to Hillary right now?

Would they prefer they didn't?

I would prefer that millionaires don't exist in the first place.

Makai

See, my friend is guilt tripping me saying I'm "undermining the democratic process" by voting to sabotage the GOP, but I think I'm doing the country a favor by preventing a Republican in the White House. :X
The more people are involved in a nomination process, the more democratic!

See, my friend is guilt tripping me saying I'm "undermining the democratic process" by voting to sabotage the GOP, but I think I'm doing the country a favor by preventing a Republican in the White House. :X

Strategic voting is an inherent part of the American system. You're not breaking any laws or committing fraud, so no reason to feel guilty about it.

Troll votes are lame. If you support Hilary, just vote for her.
Why do you hate democracy?

IMO, Texas is in the bag for Hillary.

I say have fun and be an agent of Chaos!

Cerium

Whoops, accidentally posted in the primary thread so cross posting here:

So PoliGAF, does my queen need my vote in Texas or can/should I vote for Trump in the GOP primary.

If Trump somehow wins Texas then Cruz is dead and will probably drop out that night.

Thank you to everyon who responded to my question. Like I said, this is one of those issues I need to do more soul searching and research on. I think my focus on it is more pragmatic than anything else. Overturning Citizens United through the Supreme is possible.So, that's been the extent to which I've focused on that issue. I see Citizens United as being very personal for Hillary, so her stance there is 100% sufficient for me.

Like I said, things to think about on that, though.

Why do you hate democracy?

Ecuqmd3.png

The thing is, at the end of the day, when it comes to policies, the only difference between Trump and the rest of the GOP is he's saying the quiet parts loud and I think he legitimately has a bit of economic nationalism to him (on that he's been consistent back to the 80's, only he was talking about Japan back then).

ivysaur12

Banned
New Polls from MA

New #Massachusetts Poll
#GOP
@realDonaldTrump- 50%
@marcorubio- 16%
@JohnKasich- 13%
@tedcruz- 10%
@RealBenCarson- 2%

New #Massachusetts Poll
#Democrats
@BernieSanders- 46%
@HillaryClinton- 46%

Aren't, uh, these the kinds of states that Rubio and Kasich should be doing well in?

Eh. He's picked up with Latinos. Even if he probably didn't win them. And they're like a third of the Texas primary. Although I don't think he has any chance of winning. Open primary I think helps him too?

sphagnum

Banned
Thank you to everyon who responded to my question. Like I said, this is one of those issues I need to do more soul searching and research on. I think my focus on it is more pragmatic than anything else. Overturning Citizens United through the Supreme is possible.So, that's been the extent to which I've focused on that issue. I see Citizens United as being very personal for Hillary, so her stance there is 100% sufficient for me.

Like I said, things to think about on that, though.

I just saw your post and if I had to pick a thing to focus more on it's the class struggle. Everything you focused on are very important things but it's a glaring omission for a progressive not to consider the labor movement a top priority.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I just saw your post and if I had to pick a thing to focus more on it's the class struggle. Everything you focused on are very important things but it's a glaring omission for a progressive not to consider the labor movement a top priority.

The class struggle isn't going to do anything for most of the issues he's talking about.

Believe it or not, gun hating, Obama loving Democrats exist in Texas. :(

Oh, I know that they do. My bestie lives in Texas now. She grew up there, but moved away. Recently moved back to work for a woman's group. I have to give her shit for being from Texas, though.

Then again, I've lived in Ohio and Florida who am I to judge.

I'm probably a bad liberal in only being able to appreciate the "class struggle" from an academic perspective; it doesn't really feel like it has personal salience to me even though recognising the value of strong worker's rights.

Although this probably applies to a bunch of liberal causes.

I think for anyone issues that are personally relevant are more likely priorities because everyone is self interested.

Oh, I know that they do. My bestie lives in Texas now. She grew up there, but moved away. Recently moved back to work for a woman's group. I have to give her shit for being from Texas, though.

Then again, I've lived in Ohio and Florida who am I to judge.

I live in Texas and saw a stop bigotry in politics sticker a few days ago with an outline of Trump's head with blonde hair. Texas is just so damn huge and there are too many little ass redneck towns that see the world through Fox News only. Most of the bigger cities lean democratic.

That's important too. My list wasn't exhaustive, and was just more off the top of my head. Those issues are more important to me personally, not in the grand scheme of things. Hopefully that distinction makes sense, if not I apologize.

I live in Texas and saw a stop bigotry in politics sticker a few days ago with an outline of Trump's head with blonde hair. Texas is just so damn huge and there are too many little ass redneck towns that see the world through Fox News only. Most of the bigger cities lean democratic.

I remember when voting in a class election that I was 1 of 2 in my 30+ in my class that voted Democrat. That seemed about representative of my entire high school population in a north-suburb of Houston. Weirdly though, my German classes it was like 75% liberal.

Too true though as soon as you get closer inwards. I remember once I was in high school being really surprised when exploring the more fun areas of the city :).

I went to a Christian school. In 1996, I was in 4th grade. I was the only one in the class to vote for Clinton. Everyone else voted for Dole. In 2000, I was one of 2 (the other being my best friend) who voted for Gore.

I don't know about campaign finance reform specifically, but I buy the importance of that issue as a subset of the more general need for the global community to take a stand against the destructive influence of corporations and their political agents, which absolutely is one of the top five issues currently facing the human race and is arguably a firewall that will prevent progress on a number of other issues we face.

I remember when voting in a class election that I was 1 of 2 in my 30+ in my class that voted Democrat. That seemed about representative of my entire high school population in a north-suburb of Houston. Weirdly though, my German classes it was like 75% liberal.

Northern suburbs are where all the oil money from Houston lives right? That wouldn't really surprise me I guess. Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio lean blue.

I went to a Christian school. In 1996, I was in 4th grade. I was the only one in the class to vote for Clinton. Everyone else voted for Dole. In 2000, I was one of 2 (the other being my best friend) who voted for Gore.
I was in kindergarten in 1996. I picked Bob Dole because I liked his name better.

2000 Al Gore. For the same reason.

Dems not helping unions is to their own detriment as its the best way to raise wages. Organizing service employees is the best way to give millions of americans wage increases and better benefits.

And the fight for 15 and push for maternity leave have really been lead by unions

I'm probably a bad liberal in only being able to appreciate the "class struggle" from an academic perspective; it doesn't really feel like it has personal salience to me even though recognising the value of strong worker's rights.

Although this probably applies to a bunch of liberal causes.

I think for anyone issues that are personally relevant are more likely priorities because everyone is self interested.

I'm not too big into the "class struggle" but I'm big into workers vs. capital.

I just think that relationship is different than pure class. And its the fundamental reason why I'm not a marxist,

Eh. He's picked up with Latinos. Even if he probably didn't win them. And they're like a third of the Texas primary. Although I don't think he has any chance of winning. Open primary I think helps him too?

I think Texas is pretty safe for Hillary. My opinion on Super Tuesday is that Bernie will take CO, MA, MN, VT and OK (barely) while Hillary wins the others.

Holmes said:

Hurumph!

I don't really think a lot of racism, misogyny and other bigotries are particularly affected by the destructive influence of corporations. Repeated attempts to restrict abortion rights aren't really a corporate agenda. Opposition to gay civil rights isn't a Koch brother scheme as far as I'm aware at least. And immigration, for instance is something where unionised labour and more progressive policy are probably at odds.

If we're talking solely about economic policy, then corporate influence is certainly playing an uneven role. Although, I don't really ascribe to the idea that some do that businesses are necessarily an enemy.

I think Texas is pretty safe for Hillary. My opinion on Super Tuesday is that Bernie will take CO, MA, MN, VT and OK (barely) while Hillary wins the others.
I think it's safe, but I think the margins are probably important in how long the contest lasts. The more resounding the win, the less likely it is to drag.

Chichikov

I'm not too big into the "class struggle" but I'm big into workers vs. capital.

I just think that relationship is different than pure class. And its the fundamental reason why I'm not a marxist,
I'm a bit confused.
In the Marxist class theory workers and owners of capital are the two classes that define the class struggle.

That's fucked up dude

Haha, it was par for the course. The teacher would visit your house twice a year and "inspect" your room. My mom was like "Leave your Power Ranger shit out. She's not going to say anything to us in my house."

My 6th grade teacher spent 3 hours one day yelling at us about how God wanted us to learn penmanship, and if we questioned it we were walking a fine line. The only reason I stayed was...well the schools where we lived were pure shit. Plus, I was an awkward kid, and I basically had one friend. We made it bearable for each other. Turns out we were both gay as all hell, something I think we subconsciously knew at the time.

That seems to have worked :p

Definitely. Every time I have an abortion I think of my 4th grade teacher. :p

danm999

The reason Trump has been such a runaway success as a candidate and spent so little on his campaign yet achieved so much is the same reason I do not believe he can pivot to the centre.

I honestly feel bad for Jeb. As that Slate article pointed out, he was the only person that consistently called out Trump for being a braying jackass, and whatever the flaws in his policy, I sensed that he was acting out of a genuine desire to do good by his country, and not because he wanted to glorify his own ego, which is what I sensed and still sense from almost every other GOP candidate in the race.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom