• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.
CbyueXIUsAEovbf.jpg

Guess the color of the latest mass shooter in America.

How did Bob Dole become the GOP nominee in 1996? Everyone thought he was a shit candidate in hindsight.

It was his turn and, really, who else was going to let their political future end in 96? I mean a month before the election Clinton was at like a 54% approval rating. Dude wasn't gonna lose.

I can't believe Dan Quayle used to be a thing. What is up with the GOP and nominating dipshits for Veep?

I mean, at least Ronnie Raygun Pew! Pew! Pew! picked Daddy Bush. Dude's, at the very least, intelligent....adjacent.

I don't really think a lot of racism, misogyny and other bigotries are particularly affected by the destructive influence of corporations. Repeated attempts to restrict abortion rights aren't really a corporate agenda. Opposition to gay civil rights isn't a Koch brother scheme as far as I'm aware at least. And immigration, for instance is something where unionised labour and more progressive policy are probably at odds.

If we're talking solely about economic policy, then corporate influence is certainly playing an uneven role. Although, I don't really ascribe to the idea that some do that businesses are necessarily an enemy.

I think it's safe, but I think the margins are probably important in how long the contest lasts. The more resounding the win, the less likely it is to drag.

Corporations are probably THE largest and most impregnable bastions of white male supremacy, because of the wealth, direct political influence, and indirect political consideration they command, not to mention their own internal political intrigues enact the many micro and macro biases that result in differential, discriminatory treatment for women and minorities, with zero accountability unless the abuse is truly obvious and undeniable. To the extent that progressive taxation is necessary to fund social programs fairly and consistently, corporations stand in direct opposition to many possible policies that could affect positive social change change, not to mention the more direct fact that these corporations have coupled their interests with the interests of social conservatives that stand in direct opposition to the expansion of civil rights on a variety of fronts. As well, the absolute ransacking of the planet by corporations will inevitably hit the already disenfranchised the hardest, curbing their ability to organize and advocate for the betterment of their sociopolitical station.

East Lake

I don't really think a lot of racism, misogyny and other bigotries are particularly affected by the destructive influence of corporations. Repeated attempts to restrict abortion rights aren't really a corporate agenda. Opposition to gay civil rights isn't a Koch brother scheme as far as I'm aware at least. And immigration, for instance is something where unionised labour and more progressive policy are probably at odds.
That seems kind of narrow. Corporations will fund these types of conservative policies if it also comes packaged with their economic interests.

It's only 2 sticks. I make a cookie that uses 4. Of course, it's also been known to cause spontaneous diabetus.

Obligatory:

61250747.jpg

Also, "Broken pecan"? Do I gotta like call it fat and tear it down first?

Edit: Also, you bake the damn thing for an hour!? A cookie? Really?

I agree corporate interests currently align to a degree due to the socially conservative platform of the GOP, and some other parties around the world. I disagree, however, that they're the basis of that sentiment nor that elimination of their influence would eliminate it.

Valhelm

contribute something
I agree corporate interests currently align to a degree due to the socially conservative platform of the GOP, and some other parties around the world. I disagree, however, that they're the basis of that sentiment nor that elimination of their influence would eliminate it.

Agreed. I think many GOP politicians simply co-opt social conservatism as a way to garner support for their fiscal positions.

Capitalism is weird because its equalizing nature means it can actually fight sexism and racism in certain situations. For instance, a company which does not hire or patronize people of color will fall behind its more open-minded competition. The models of Cuba and the USSR also show that we can't expect social bigotry to dissolve once capitalism is gone.

I'm probably a bad liberal in only being able to appreciate the "class struggle" from an academic perspective; it doesn't really feel like it has personal salience to me even though recognising the value of strong worker's rights.

Although this probably applies to a bunch of liberal causes.

I think for anyone issues that are personally relevant are more likely priorities because everyone is self interested.
then you've never been poor

Agreed. I think many GOP politicians simply co-opt social conservatism as a way to garner support for their fiscal positions.

Capitalism is weird because its equalizing nature means it can actually fight sexism and racism in certain situations. For instance, a company which does not hire or patronize people of color will fall behind its more open-minded competition. The models of Cuba and the USSR also show that we can't expect social bigotry to dissolve once capitalism is gone.

I'm not even anti-capitalist, really. If anything, I despise corporations for the way they use economies of scale and the delimitation of choice to reduce the power consumers actually have to affect their bottom line.

East Lake

People also aren't racist in a vacuum though. So while eliminating their influence won't end racism or whatever, if about half the corporate sector is supporting racist politicians, think tanks, media etc... Then it's not odd to think the effects of racism are greatly amplified through the political system and corporate funding and not the guy with the confederate flag in rural alabama or the slightly less racist liberal who hasn't accepted their guilt yet.

I think that makes sense, but it can go only so far. That's why there needs to be some form of oversight which is usually done by the federal government( judicial and executive mainly) and the laws. Personally, I don't think the US is a completely capitalist society, but a mixture of social and very strong judicial system plus capitalism. The US needs more mobility for people that is less unfortunate, so a more social aspect is needed, but I doubt it will go very far. The US will end up being more social capitalist in terms of more stronger welfare state that is mostly there to assist, but I can not see many corporations being owned by the state or some form of that, and I am highly against that as that seems authoritarian.

Does Bernie really want to use a poll that had him lose black people by 54 points?

I mean, if those exit polls were correct, he's heading for death in the next few weeks.

I tend to assume, that as with most products these days, the crafting a politician is in response to the customer. Although, I do accept that the company, or in this case party, can shape the market they operate within.

I just don't think the guy with the confederate flag in Alabama who thinks they lost the War of Northern Aggression is taking his cues from his local congressman, or the gay-hating bible-thumper in some other rural city around the world is really just responding to the messages sent by his MP, rather than the other way around.

I don't know if this is 100% true, but I read on Kos that Bernie is only running ads in Colorado, Oklahoma, Minnesota and Massachusetts. Oh, and South Carolina. He's basically conceded the rest already. She's supposedly running in 15 States at the moment. I'm trying to confirm just to be sure but not a good look if true.

And by rest I mean Super Tuesday.

VERY late to reply to this, but Hillary Morgan Freeman ads have been running pretty frequently here in Southwest Virginia for about the last 48 hours. I've yet to see a Bernie ad

Valhelm

contribute something
I'm not even anti-capitalist, really. If anything, I despise corporations for the way they use economies of scale and the delimitation of choice to reduce the power consumers actually have to affect their bottom line.

Corporate consolidation and tyranny is inevitable if the market is allowed to be free.

I tend to assume, that as with most products these days, the crafting a politician is in response to the customer. Although, I do accept that the company, or in this case party, can shape the market they operate within.

I just don't think the guy with the confederate flag in Alabama who thinks they lost the War of Northern Aggression is taking his cues from his local congressman, or the gay-hating bible-thumper in some other rural city around the world is really just responding to the messages sent by his MP, rather than the other way around.

I would agree. Trump's popularity is wholly predicated on giving people what they want and is proof that doing so pays off. Most politicians are mindful of things like general elections and thus dilute their red meat enough to pivot away from it a few months later. The only secret to Donald's success is that he hasn't done that. I think that 9 months from now, though, we're going to see exactly why you have to.

I think VA is a Super Tuesday state Sanders is not advertising in.

I think VA could be close enough that it's worth fighting for, but otherwise I think it's a smart strategy. There are a lot of states after super tuesday where he'll have better odds, and it's better to save your money for the more competitive states afterward. I don't think a couple delegates is worth dropping $3 million into Georgia when it could be the difference between winning or losing Ohio.

East Lake

Just to be clear my argument isn't that they totally shape the market. It's plausible that northern aggression guy got his views from his friends, school or whatever, but that it's not easy to disentangle when corporate support heavily shapes the media, supplies the politicians, and mobilizes the supporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom