• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT10| Jill Stein Inflatable Love Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

Ghosts single player let you play as a dog. It was so crazy it would up being fun. The next ones were just dumb. OMG, Kevin Spacey is actually the bad guy? What a twist! And Blops 3? Hey, I'm in a crazy dream world WTF?

Ghosts single player let you play as a dog. It was so crazy it would up being fun. The next ones were just dumb. OMG, Kevin Spacey is actually the bad guy? What a twist! And Blops 3? Hey, I'm in a crazy dream world WTF?

Kevin Spacey is never the bad guys in movies, so it was really strange seeing him be a bad guy, unlike the usual suspects who tend to be casts as the baddies.

How much pineapple u eatin
tumblr_nvrvua6H5a1qac1soo1_500.gif

Playing COD on a Wii U? Ewww
It's actually good! Don't hat ethe game. Or the player in this case .

I don't get sonic. You guys should have a bought a Nintendo like the cool kids and gotten good platformers

I was lucky enough to be gifted both a SNES AND a Genesis as a kid!

Sonic 2 is better than any Mario platformer.

Sonic Generations is also better than any Mario 3D platformer.

And don't get me wrong, I like Mario, too. Except for 3D World, which is mediocre; NSMB, which is dull; and 2 US, which is nothing but trash.

Or as I'd now actually say in real life while playing Mario 2 because of Adam and Crayons, "Mama, this is garbage."

Sonic 2's great but I find SMB3 and SMW to be much tighter experiences.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "tighter." I think it's indisputable that when Sonic is bad, it's really bad.

I submit that when Sonic is good, however, it hits far higher highs than the best Mario course. Sonic at its best is sublime. I've heard people compare it to F-Zero in the sense that the player must have a complete mastery of both the speed of Sonic/the racer and of the course to make high-level runs. I tend to agree with that (and I also really love F-Zero because of the speed and the exacting nature of the courses). A great Sonic course is very tight and quite exacting in a way that Mario can't reach simply because the nature of Mario platformers are different than Sonic platformers.

Mario at its best has some really fun courses, but I wouldn't say that they give me any more satisfaction to complete than strong courses in a good indie platformer - something like Super Meat Boy has better timing-based obstacle courses in it than any Mario game since SMB3.

What I really like about Mario is exploration, actually, since Nintendo actually seems to understand how to make it rewarding without being repetitive. They make better collectathons than Rare ever did, which makes it a shame that after Sunshine, they've gone away from that quite a bit (though SMG2 did a fair, if not great, job with exploration via some of the better Green Stars).

User1608

Banned
I love Mario, he's one of my favorite characters and the platformers are always so much fun. It's a hard choice between 64, Galaxy 1, 2, and 3D World for the best one. Sunshine and 3D Land are fun games though!!

For the 2D games, I love Super Mario Bros. for getting me into video games in the first place, and SMW is fantastic!! My overall favorite is probably NSMBWU though, such a refined and content packed game. I fucking 100 percented that one! Land and 6 Golden Coins are cute and enjoyable.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "tighter." I think it's indisputable that when Sonic is bad, it's really bad.

I submit that when Sonic is good, however, it hits far higher highs than the best Mario course. Sonic at its best is sublime. I've heard people compare it to F-Zero in the sense that the player must have a complete mastery of both the speed of Sonic/the racer and of the course to make high-level runs. I tend to agree with that (and I also really love F-Zero because of the speed and the exacting nature of the courses). A great Sonic course is very tight and quite exacting in a way that Mario can't reach simply because the nature of Mario platformers are different than Sonic platformers.

Mario at its best has some really fun courses, but I wouldn't say that they give me any more satisfaction to complete than strong courses in a good indie platformer - something like Super Meat Boy has better timing-based obstacle courses in it than any Mario game since SMB3.

What I really like about Mario is exploration, actually, since Nintendo actually seems to understand how to make it rewarding without being repetitive. They make better collectathons than Rare ever did, which makes it a shame that after Sunshine, they've gone away from that quite a bit (though SMG2 did a fair, if not great, job with exploration via some of the better Green Stars).

See, that's why I dislike Sonic. I am the platformer Queen. Like I'm shit at a lot of games, but I'm good at platformers. I never feel liek I have total control of Sonic. Mario is perfect

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Bow before me mortals, I love both 2d mario AND 2d sonic! It is possible!

The best sonic is better then the best mario however.

Debirudog

I find SMB3 and SMW to be tighter experiences because I like the controls and physics of Mario better than I do in Sonic 2. Like in SMB3, despite being pretty weighty, Mario jumps pretty far and it feels like you get a better feel of the character. I know their completely different experiences but I just never could fully master Sonic so I never saw myself enjoying them as much...

And I find the Mario to more consistent with it's level design. I can't stand the enemy placements in STH2. Especially in Metropolis, my god those starfishes are particularly annoying.

I never played Super Meat Boy but I don't particularly play Mario games just for the challenge, I like to play 'em because I find them fun. SMW for finding secrets in levels, and SMB3 for it's variety of level design; they get really experimental in the later parts of the game (World 7 and 8 in particular)

I find SMB3 and SMW to be tighter experiences because I like the controls and physics of Mario better than I do in Sonic 2. Like in SMB3, despite being pretty weighty, Mario jumps pretty far and it feels like you get a better feel of the character. I know their completely different experiences but I just never could fully master Sonic so I never saw myself enjoying them as much...

And I find the Mario to more consistent with it's level design. I can't stand the enemy placements in STH2. Especially in Metropolis, my god those starfishes are particularly annoying.

I never played Super Meat Boy but I don't particularly play Mario games just for the challenge, I like to play 'em because I find them fun. SMW for finding secrets in levels, and SMB3 for it's variety of level design; they get really experimental in the later parts of the game (World 7 and 8 in particular)

If you haven't, challenge yourself with Super Luigi U. Totally worth it, and it really gets a bit challenging. Nothing too insane, but a bit more than your standard Mario game.

Adam makes 1000 posts and then the whole thread gets derailed.

Queen, this one ain't on me.

AntoneM

There were 2 great SNES games, Super Mario World and Chrono Trigger. The rest of the best were collectathon crap.

Genesis was just better.

There can only be one platformer king.

<('.'<)(^'.'^)(>'.')>

Kirby's Epic Yarn is one of the greatest, most beautiful games of all time. Of all time. Many people are saying it. Many people. Believe me.

I love Susan Boyle.

So, tell me fam, should I give more money to Strickland or send it to Ross instead?? I got $100 that needs to go to someone right now.

And, for Kev, $100 is a small denomination of currency us poors use.

The 2D Sonics (at least of the Genesis era) are better than the 2D Marios. It's like comparing a perfected but standard dish to something far more experimental with amazing execution.

I love the rest of the Sonic series only in the sense that one might love a really ugly dog - you know it's ugly, but in a lovable sort of way. Adventure 1, 2 and Unleashed are this for me. Colors and Generations are just legitimately good games and at the very least rank above Sunshine and maybe 64. Galaxy games and 3D World are pretty untouchable though.

I have full confidence in Sonic Mania. That other Sonic project (the 2017 Sonic Team game)... Will have to see some actual gameplay footage. If they stick to the Generations formula they should be fine.

jiggle

Kirby's Epic Yarn is one of the greatest, most beautiful games of all time. Of all time. Many people are saying it. Many people. Believe me.

I love Susan Boyle.

So, tell me fam, should I give more money to Strickland or send it to Ross instead?? I got $100 that needs to go to someone right now.

And, for Kev, $100 is a small denomination of currency us poors use.
Send it to me
PMing u my address

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom