• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Wow at CNN's front page headliner.

XuRKPp6.png

Opinion: Presidential debate will be much watch TV!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Is there much reason for Clinton to go personally to Ohio? She doesn't seem to have much attraction there, her favourability in Ohioan state polls is usually a fair margin worse than her national polling despite Ohio being a borderline state. Send some surrogates Ohioans actually like to do the legwork. I probably wouldn't make Ohio a personal focus if I was Clinton either.

If I were Clinton, I think I'd mostly be in Florida and Pennsylvania, aside from fund-raising trips.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ohio has historically voted slightly more Republican than the nation as a whole. I'd give up on Ohio. I would be focusing on the states that are closest, so North Carolina, Nevada, and Florida. These states are demographically different enough to warrant contesting. I just don't see how Ohio makes a ton of sense. That said, Ohio is weird to me. I would figure this has one of the larger AA populations in the country and yet it's always so teetery.

Zukkoyaki

Ohio has historically voted slightly more Republican than the nation as a whole. I'd give up on Ohio. I would be focusing on the states that are closest, so North Carolina, Nevada, and Florida. These states are demographically different enough to warrant contesting. I just don't see how Ohio makes a ton of sense. That said, Ohio is weird to me. I would figure this has one of the larger AA populations in the country and yet it's always so teetery.
I would do everything I can to draw the line at Florida. Clinton wins that and it's ball game.

Why so late?

She's been doing more prior. I was listening to an episode of The Run-Up, NYT's politics podcast and they noted during the Nevada primary that Hillary's calling team was all older Latino women trying to get their peers out there to vote. (I want to say it was this episode, but I'm not sure. The context was in Sanders' ground game in the state, which was in a mostly white suburb.)

Grexeno

Large uneducated white population?

Giving up on the quintessential tossup state at this stage of the campaign would be downright lunacy.

Like I'm really glad PoliGAF doesn't call the shots for Hillary's campaign because I'm pretty sure it would just be a big pillow fort surrounding PA/CO/NH at this point.

Y2Kev

Why is it quintessential tossup? Because the media says so?

They have to stay in Ohio at least through the first debate, preferably until early voting starts.

I mean obviously they're not going to give up on it. But I wouldn't focus there.

Why is it quintessential tossup? Because the media says so?

I mean obviously they're not going to give up on it. But I wouldn't focus there.
Because the media says so is actually a decent reason in its own right, the media would paint it as a retreat.

But ultimately Trump still isn't polling that great there (like in Iowa his numbers are basically unchanged while former Clinton voters go third party or undecided) and if it's still up for grabs she should go for it.

I'm also of the mindset that Clinton should go for a landslide rather than settling for just winning.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't give up on Ohio, at all. I just wouldn't send Clinton there. It's not a good use of her campaign time to be campaigning in a state where she is relatively more disliked when she could be in Florida, where despite the neck-and-neck nature of the polling her favourability is okay. If I wanted Ohio, I'd send Biden or Sanders or someone else well-received in the state.

I don't think Clinton should go for a landslide. I think she should minmax, and by doing so, put any remaining resources towards Senate seats. Who cares if Clinton wins Georgia? I don't care if Clinton wins Georgia. The Democrats aren't taking the Senate seat in Georgia come hell or high water, and if Clinton wins Georgia she already got the presidency a long time ago, so why bother putting more resources into Georgia?

Blader

Large population of non-college educated whites and, depending on voter registrations there, Dems may be maxed enough on likely African-American voters to be unable to close the gap (or at least, close it definitively at this point). In other words, not a lot of room to grow.

I wouldn't give up on Ohio, at all. I just wouldn't send Clinton there. It's not a good use of her campaign time to be campaigning in a state where she is relatively more disliked when she could be in Florida, where despite the neck-and-neck nature of the polling her favourability is okay. If I wanted Ohio, I'd send Biden or Sanders or someone else well-received in the state.
Was Sherrod Brown's surrogate status revoked after he lost the VP contest?

Boke1879

Giving up on the quintessential tossup state at this stage of the campaign would be downright lunacy.

Like I'm really glad PoliGAF doesn't call the shots for Hillary's campaign because I'm pretty sure it would just be a big pillow fort surrounding PA/CO/NH at this point.

Stay there with ads and you're offices. Go there to push early voting. See what fruits Obama's trip there brings.

Iolo

That's what she's been doing for the past week, sending surrogates into Ohio. It may make sense for her personally to go there when early voting starts.

Also, if she can go from up by a few points in Ohio to down by a few points within a single month, then Ohio is not a lost cause.

Here's Trump's Florida dude on police and "law and order" stuff as well as Mike Pence's pilot:

“Mr Shanley stated he stood in front of Mr Caldara’s vehicle as he attempted to leave,” according to the original police report. “Mr Shanley stated that Mr Caldara started that vehicle, then drove forward and bumped Mr Shanley.

“Mr Shanley stated that he said to Mr Caldara, ‘Come on what are you doing?’ Mr Caldara then drove forward again, this striking Mr Shanley hard, knocking him to the ground. Mr Shanley got to his knees and was struck again by Mr Caldara’s vehicle, knocking him down again.”

Shanley, who according to the police report was screaming, ended up under the front section of Caldara’s dark blue 2002 Ford Crown Victoria. He was taken by emergency responders to North Broward medical center for treatment. A witness told police he called 911 after seeing Shanley struck by Caldara’s vehicle for the final time.

Shanley, now 53, underwent two surgeries following the alleged assault. He received a spinal stimulator and a fusion of his right hand, which he is now unable to bend.

Caldara also faced accusations of wrongdoing while serving as a police officer. In Cop Without a Badge, a nonfiction book published in 1996, the Emmy-winning writer Charles Kipps alleged that as a young New York police officer, Caldara paid a $20,000 cash bribe to the attorney of a senior NYPD official in order to avoid losing his job for misconduct.

Kipps’s book alleged that in 1982, Caldara angrily pursued a taxi and pointed his gun at the driver after the driver cut in front of him and almost struck his car. Caldara was said to have been driving in Queens while off duty.

“A passenger in the back of the cab screamed at me: ‘Hey! You can’t pull your gun on him!’,” the book quoted Caldara as saying. “So I pointed the gun in the backseat and said: ‘Shut the fuck up.’”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...cent-caldara-police-advocate?CMP=share_btn_tw

This campaign is amazing:

“Mr Caldara is not a paid employee of the Trump campaign nationally or in the state of Florida,” said Marc Lotter, Pence’s press secretary.

Lotter and other campaign spokespeople repeatedly declined to say whether Caldara remained part of Trump’s Florida law enforcement coalition. But references to his involvement, such as a video clip that showed him opening a Trump campaign office in the city of Cocoa Beach earlier this month, where he addressed supporters, have been removed from the Florida Trump campaign’s Facebook page.

“Donald Trump and Governor Mike Pence are the law and order candidates,” Caldara told supporters at the Cocoa Beach event. “And if that is the direction you want our country to go in, then you know who you need to vote for on 8 November.”

She's just doesn't have any events planned in Ohio for her to appear at. That makes sense because their team is staggering what states their target now based on when they start early voting, hence the Iowa and North Carolina push at the moment.

I'm probably not going to watch the debates, but i was interviewed for a phone poll where they knew my name (is that normal? I feel like it isn't), and I was given the prompt "I will not vote for Donald Trump because..." and replied "he's a piece of shit" which was recorded and the woman conducting the interview read back to me, so I feel like I did my part keeping CT Blue.

HylianTom

Banned
Ohio doesn't have to be a Tier 1 state, but she needs to force Trump to fight there, be it via offices, ads, surrogates, etc. Part of the Dem advantage in the electoral college is that the GOP candidate always has to spread himself thin, and forcing Trump to spend time/money there means that she'll end-up with an easier time keeping her Tier 1 states in solid shape.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Was Sherrod Brown's surrogate status revoked after he lost the VP contest?

No, I just took it for granted Brown would be campaigning in Ohio. He doesn't really have a national profile except amongst politics geeks so where else would you send him? Whereas Sanders or Biden or Obama, they could potentially be used in lots of states and you have to think more carefully about how you use them.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm mostly curious about Nevada. What happened to that state?

Iowa and Colorado can turn red if Virginia turns solid blue, and Florida and Ohio don't even need to be part of equation, but not if Nevada turns red. Nevada wasn't even a swing state in 2008 and 2012.

Y2Kev

I am writing down on a piece of paper posts I expect people to make during the debate tomorrow. I think Poligaf is largely predictable so this should be fun!

Iowa and Colorado can turn red if Virginia turns solid blue, and Florida and Ohio don't even need to be part of equation, but not if Nevada turns red. Nevada wasn't even a swing state in 2008 and 2012.

There are a few factors at play. Nevada has a larger "NONCOLLEGE" white population than most of the other swing states. Hispanic polling seems to be somewhat difficult in the local market as well. Obama ultimately outperformed his polling there by 4 points or so.

So I expect Hillary to win it but it will be difficult. She's not a great fit.

Zukkoyaki

I don't personally know much but supposedly Nevada is really tough to poll correctly which is why the polls there have been wild.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I am writing down on a piece of paper posts I expect people to make during the debate tomorrow. I think Poligaf is largely predictable so this should be fun!

We could do PoliGAF bingo. adam posting RuPaul .gifs has to be one of my top picks, and I might go with a back-to-back y2kev/shinra posting as a corner slot.

David Clarke having a good day on Twitter:

CtOpVEUWIAAeWQy.jpg

CtOq2y0W8AU-KBz.jpg

The above-displayed message was not uttered by Hillary Clinton and was not published in the 2005 book Rewriting History by Dick Morris. We found no record of the quote in any major publication. In fact, the first mention of this quote came in October 2015, more than a decade after Morris' book was published, on a Tumblr page dedicated to generating fake Hillary Clinton quotes:

The "Shocking Hillary Clinton quotes..." Tumblr page claims that all of its links are "100% verified," but we reviewed a handful of memes posted to the page and found all of them to be completely fictional. While the web site does provide links to make its material seem more credible, these links never direct readers to the actual source of the quote.

This fabricated quotation appears to have been inspired by a similar statement (falsely) attributed to Donald Trump, holding that Republicans are the "dumbest group of voters."

http://www.snopes.com/hillary-clinton-stupid-quote/

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Even Conservatives political cartoons are better than that dreck, yeesh. Gillray is spinning in his grave.

Paskil

Early voting starts tomorrow in Wisconsin. I hope the wait isn't super long. I work right across the street from the city clerk office, so, YAAAAAS QUEEN, etc.

I suspect we'll see more of this. I think it's a great chance we'll see her have a joint event with Obama and I wouldn't be shocked if it was in Ohio or Florida.

I was more kind of laughing at this idea that the Hillary campaign has been doing a terrible job and they finally decided to make a good move "for once".

Boke1879

anecdotal. I work in a retirement home. I live in Illinois. Right now we have about 60 people living there.

I would say just based on hearing them talking at meal times about 90% of them utterly despise Trump. Haven't heard their opinions of Hillary one way or the other but they literally consider Trump a national embarrassment.

But today something kinda hit close and reminded me what Hillary has to face as well.

One resident who is actually one of my favorites said he's voting Trump because and I quote "this country would be nuts to elect a woman for President." I just shook my head and walked away.

It's not the majority where I work, but it just reminded me that there are literally people out there that will vote for a man who is literally unfit simply because they won't vote for a woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom