• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.
anecdotal. I work in a retirement home. I live in Illinois. Right now we have about 60 people living there.

I would say just based on hearing them talking at meal times about 90% of them utterly despise Trump. Haven't heard their opinions of Hillary one way or the other but they literally consider Trump a national embarrassment.

But today something kinda hit close and reminded me what Hillary has to face as well.

One resident who is actually one of my favorites said he's voting Trump because and I quote "this country would be nuts to elect a woman for President." I just shook my head and walked away.

It's not the majority where I work, but it just reminded me that there are literally people out there that will vote for a man who is literally unfit simply because they won't vote for a woman.

I've mentioned before that I had a high school history teacher who believes that women are biblically inferior to men thanks to Eve. This teacher is a woman.

Boke1879

I've mentioned before that I had a high school history teacher who believes that women are biblically inferior to men thanks to Eve. This teacher is a woman.

The resident I mentioned said the same thing. He said "you read the bible right?" I say "yes." he says "well God mad man first. He's stronger to protect the woman."

You bring up a great point. There are women who believe this toxic mentality as well

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ohio has historically voted slightly more Republican than the nation as a whole. I'd give up on Ohio. I would be focusing on the states that are closest, so North Carolina, Nevada, and Florida. These states are demographically different enough to warrant contesting. I just don't see how Ohio makes a ton of sense. That said, Ohio is weird to me. I would figure this has one of the larger AA populations in the country and yet it's always so teetery.

I'm fairly confident Trump will win Ohio, but I wouldn't concede at all. Stay relevant and send in Obama/Bill. Got a shot.

Al Gore's speechwriters are ridiculously stupid people who think that Trump's attack on Khan's mother hurt him less than Cory Booker's speech at the DNC.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...-s-debate-knockout-punch-will-she-use-it.html

Also, they don't know how to read either (impressive trait for speechwriters):

Recent polling shows why this makes sense for Trump. According to the latest NBC/Wall Street Journal poll, only 27 percent of those surveyed said that Trump’s “language and comments about women, immigrants, and Muslims” is a major concern.

No, the poll said that 27% of those surveyed said that Trump's language was their biggest concern.

Spoilers: Both of the writers are white.

royalan

LOL
Why did I just get this message in Grindr?
Which PAC is responsible for this?

0aUEh0o.png

Pyrokai

I'm fairly confident Trump will win Ohio, but I wouldn't concede at all. Stay relevant and send in Obama/Bill. Got a shot.

I live in Ohio, and I hope you're right. There are good people here... But I see first hand with my parents how the media can affect opinion of candidates like Trump. If only my mom knew of how horrible Trump actually was....things would be different. She wouldn't vote for him. I imagine this happens everywhere.

Anyway, outside of the major metros, though, it's a lost cause, lol. She should be stopping in every major Ohio city.

Looks like CNN is right:
http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...ton-and-her-top-allies-plan-post-debate-blitz

They plan to visit Florida and Pennsylvania repeatedly, with fewer stops in other key states up for grabs and just one visit to Ohio. They have no scheduled trips next week to Colorado, Nevada or Virginia.

Clinton will travel to North Carolina on Tuesday, New Hampshire on Wednesday, Iowa on Thursday and Florida on Friday, her campaign said Saturday. She also has fundraisers planned in battleground states or nearby cities each day next week. Republican nominee Donald Trump's team hasn't yet previewed his plans for next week.

Clinton's post-debate push also coincides with National Voter Registration Day on Tuesday, which her campaign plans to use as an opportunity to work toward its goal of signing up 3 million additional voters.

While Clinton herself won't be going to Ohio, Bill Clinton will be there on Tuesday. He's also planning a Friday bus tour in Florida. Vice presidential candidate Tim Kaine will be in Florida on Tuesday.

Internal data must be BAD.

Hope this isn't the beginning of "let's just get 270".

Pyrokai

This is getting terrifying. The idea of a Trump presidency is seriously stressing me out :(

I'm right there with you, bud. It's causing me a lot of grief and I can't even enjoy a lot of other things I typically do. I can't wait until Election Day. I also how Hillary tears him a new one in the debates.

Tendo

You want to know how people become alcoholics?

You know one person can only be In one place at a time?

I have been imbibing heavily.

I'm right there with you, bud. It's causing me a lot of grief and I can't even enjoy a lot of other things I typically do. I can't wait until Election Day. I also how Hillary tears him a new one in the debates.

I don't think I can watch tomorrow. It will stress me out too much :(

Boke1879

User1608

Banned
LOL
Why did I just get this message in Grindr?
Which PAC is responsible for this?
lol wow.
This is getting terrifying. The idea of a Trump presidency is seriously stressing me out :(
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst is all I can say. That's what I've been doing, especially crucial in my case. No way am I letting some tabloid level racist fascist ruin my life.

Hopfrog

Nowhere in that article does it state that they are "pulling back from Ohio." Just that they are focusing on other states this week.

Honestly numbers wise, if she sees a better opening in North Carolina and Florida, she should focus on those. Ithought it would be better, with big college towns. Iowa and Ohio might have a few things in common, one of them being lack of hispanic population.

You want to know how people become alcoholics?

You know one person can only be In one place at a time?

And she's going to Iowa and skipping Ohio.

If it's about early voting, I get it (don't know all the dates), but that's the question. They make these decisions based on analytics.

Looks like CNN is right:
http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...ton-and-her-top-allies-plan-post-debate-blitz

I mean, maybe, but it's also likely given the states have a specific calendar to them. North Carolina has started absentee voting, she's going to be there for the first day of early voting in Iowa. There are reasons to visit those states while also sending surrogates to Ohio.

I think you guys may be reading a little too much into this.

Boke1879

And she's going to Iowa and skipping Ohio.

If it's about early voting, I get it (don't know all the dates), but that's the question. They make these decisions based on analytics.

Either way. based on next week alone we're seeing a ramp up in her campaign. Her being visible will help her alot and her goal to get up to 3 million registered is a big push. Hell that could potentially be the turning point.

Once we hit October things go into overdrive and we'll most likely see an increase in GOTV efforts. I mean we see what she's doing with her Hispanic outreach.

Effect

I recall Keeping it 1600 saying, Tuesday I think, that due to how much focus was on Ohio in 2008 and 2012 that there really wasn't a lot of potential non-registered voters there. What's available is really what you're going to ultimately get as far as the voter population is. I took that to mean there is only so much you can really do there where as other states have more people you can push to get to the polls to vote for your or haven't voted before.

I recall Keeping it 1600 saying, Tuesday I think, that due to how much focus was on Ohio in 2008 and 2012 that there really wasn't a lot of potential non-registered voters there. What's available is really what you're going to ultimately get as far as the voter population is. I took that to mean there is only so much you can really do there where as other states have more people you can push to get to the polls to vote for your or haven't voted before.

I assume the huge, final push in Ohio will be once early voting starts. Which is soon, but not next week.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Al Gore's speechwriters are ridiculously stupid people who think that Trump's attack on Khan's mother hurt him less than Cory Booker's speech at the DNC.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...-s-debate-knockout-punch-will-she-use-it.html

Also, they don't know how to read either (impressive trait for speechwriters):

No, the poll said that 27% of those surveyed said that Trump's language was their biggest concern.

Spoilers: Both of the writers are white.

Wow, what idiots. They also bring up all sorts of polls of what Trump supporters believe. Why should hillary even care what the 39% of trump supporters think? What sort of floor do they expect trump to have?

It's not the worst idea to go after Trump as a scam artist, but the Hillary campaign has tested all sorts of political ads and found people simply don't believe all the bad stuff Trump does. Maybe it's weariness of partisan bickering, or it's just hard to believe that a major party candidate can be as bad as trump actually is, but either way, soundclips of Trump himself saying bad things cannot be denied as fact, and their tests show that is the line of attack that works best.

I feel attacking him for being a scam artist might make voters go back to being skeptical about the legitimacy of those attacks, especially from a candidate that voters don't trust very much.

Joeytj

Banned
Looks like CNN is right:

Not only is that news from yesterday, those states are the ones who al ready started early/absentee voting or about to start next week. Ohio and other states can wait.

I remember that the Clinton campaign classifies states by when they vote, as opposed by geography or just if they add to 270 EV.

Diablos

Clinton is losing OH like the Steelers lost to the Eagles 34-3 right now goddam

...kidding. I realize they aren't jumping ship but it is odd that they are not doing much there for a while.

Geez any news site calling what's about to happen tomorrow "a battle of wits" I wager doesn't have much wits about them.

Speaking of Wits and Wagers has anyone else played "America" recently? It's pretty neat, but I'm also excited for the board game reprint of "1960" which is about the election of Kennedy vs Nixon in board game form.

Sadly they aren't going to have it ready by the election as they originally wanted.

Not me. I am in such a deep state of pre-emptive denial that the possibility of a Trump Presidency exists in the same stratosphere of concern as a super massive asteroid impacting earth. It would be such a disastrous outcome I absolutely refuse to acknowledge the likelihood of it actually occurring. To boot, I don't have the experience to deal with such a societal setback, having never experiencing one before as a millennial. Thus my attitude going forward:

Hn1HkKw.gif

We got this, because we're going to remain vigilant and vote~!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Clinton is losing OH like the Steelers lost to the Eagles 34-3 right now goddam

...kidding. I realize they aren't jumping ship but it is odd that they are not doing much there for a while.

538 just posted an article saying Clinton will probably lose...

Fivethirtyeight.com/butts/NXgameslist.com

Vimes

Not me. I am in such a deep state of pre-emptive denial that the possibility of a Trump Presidency exists in the same stratosphere of concern as a super massive asteroid impacting earth. It would be such a disastrous outcome I absolutely refuse to acknowledge the likelihood of it actually occurring. To boot, I don't have the experience to deal with such a societal setback, having never experiencing one before as a millennial.

This is how I felt about Bush Jr being re-elected in 2004. Just refused to believe Kerry could lose after the Iraq clusterfuck. I felt like the world had ended when the numbers came in, but then again I was 17. Damned if I wasn't excited to finally get to vote in 2008.

I'm also in denial again about Trump. Been trying to pay attention more to the Senate and maybe House going blue, but damned if the headlines don't keep dragging your eyes back to the White House.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom