• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emarv

I don't put much stock in Nate Silver's predictions after "the third party vote won't decrease this year" and "the post DNC bump for Hillary may be permanent" and "the person up on Labor Day wins" followed by weeks of "but"

this to me is the biggest one. sure it tightened, but next cycle we'll say "she was winning after labor day and then won the election. same as usual". Everything else about her winning is just filling air time.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't put much stock in Nate Silver's predictions after "the third party vote won't decrease this year" and "the post DNC bump for Hillary may be permanent" and "the person up on Labor Day wins" followed by weeks of "but"

Everyone I know has a big "but"
He went postal on Postal on his last podcast. I think critics saying his model is too reactive are getting to him.

Iolo

It's just that Silver seems to say a model should be pretty reactive, ok fine, but then he uses that model to try and make big pronouncements about how the race will evolve over a period of months. I just don't think you can do both.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The Silver medal winner of the Nate Olympics has been posting nothing but Hillary positive tweets today. I guess he realizes we're probably past the point where anything's going to change the race in a significant way.

Piecake

Speaking of Trump's tax returns, do tax returns ever become public record?

Kinda curious to know when we are going to find out all the juicy details.

sphagnum

Banned
Today in deplorable battles:

47rjeOvl.jpg

As yes, Notch the alt right bodhisattva and Cernovich the Nietzcheian ubermensch.

Nate likes big buts and his model don't lie.

Also, why again was his model showing trump winning back in end of July?

You can't predict Hillary having pneumonia.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The Silver medal winner of the Nate Olympics has been posting nothing but Hillary positive tweets today. I guess he realizes we're probably past the point where anything's going to change the race in a significant way.
I think the debate is make or break.

Boke1879

Yeah. She addressed the Bill comments and the debates. That's all i caught, though.

Do you know exactly what she said in reference to the Bill comments that weren't even bad?

Also if I was in the media I would remind EVERY Trump surrogate how many days it's been since he's given a press conference. Because God knows it was a big deal when she didnt'

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Btw did Hillary just do another presser like an hour ago?

Considering how badly the media did with the email story, i'm not the least bit surprised she let that story go stale before doing press events.

It was the perfect shit storm.

1.) Media False Equivency and Both Sides bullshit
2.) Technology and Policy requiring nuance the Media does not do.
3.) An FBI Director out to help Republicans.
4.) Jumping to conclusions before the actual FBI report was released, helped along with the shit FBI Director.

Emarv

Do you know exactly what she said in reference to the Bill comments that weren't even bad?

Also if I was in the media I would remind EVERY Trump surrogate how many days it's been since he's given a press conference. Because God knows it was a big deal when she didnt'

Not exactly. I caught the tail end of it, but it sounded like "if you listen to it all in context, blah blah, there's a lot of work to be done still, yada yada". A reporter asked a quick followup and she just said "I think i've addressed it." She wasn't being curt or anything. Just didn't seem like a big deal to her. They moved on to the Sunday debate right after.

He went postal on Postal on his last podcast. I think critics saying his model is too reactive are getting to him.

He was soooo pissy. It was pretty funny.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So first the Assange thing last night and then the fake folder thing tonight. The far right is getting yanked all around right now.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Welp, at least now we know Pence is going to focus on Hillary's "scandals."

Good luck focusing on the economy, though, Mike. That should be fun to see.

Revolver

I didn't catch all her presser but she was asked about the Julian Assange comment about droning the guy and she said she didn't recall making the comment and if she did it was just a joke and moved on. She went after Trump on his taxes and his PTSD comments.

How long has it been since Trump held a press conference? I can't seem to remember one since him asking Russia to hack Hillary.

Boke1879

I didn't catch all her presser but she was asked about the Julian Assange comment about droning the guy and she said she didn't recall making the comment and if she did it was just a joke and moved on. She went after Trump on his taxes and his PTSD comments.

How long has it been since Trump held a press conference? I can't seem to remember one since him asking Russia to hack Hillary.

It's been 69 days I think

Toxi

Banned
I was gonna make a joke about Wikileaks, but their Twitter made it for me.

Plinko

Tim Kaine was unable to answer for his running-mate's record of failure, corruption and secrecy at tonight's debate.

I don't even have to watch now. Thanks, GOP!

HylianTom

Banned
No joke, my favorite night of politics in the last decade. The Rubio self-destruction was close.

It's up there for me, too.

I have deep, abiding contempt for Paul Ryan, and seeing the GOP's wunderkind get rekt by Uncle Joe was incredibly, incredibly gratifying.

Plinko

Fantastic. Keep it up with the imbecile gimmick, Gary.

It's up there for me, too.

I have deep, abiding contempt for Paul Ryan, and seeing the GOP's wunderkind get rekt by Uncle Joe was incredibly, incredibly gratifying.

I still wish Joe would have been the nominee. To see him win the presidency after all he has been through would have been absolutely amazing. Plus, watching him deconstruct Trump in a debate would have been glorious. Hillary did a great job, no doubt, but there's something different about Joe's demeanor when it happens.

Gotchaye

I listened to 538's podcast where Silver is defending his model and it's just not addressing what strike me as the serious concerns people have. Now, probably he is getting bombarded with a lot of tweets making terrible criticisms, but you can't only address those. He characterizes his critics as not believing that the polls have moved, but the issue is not with 538's now-cast but that polls-only looks almost identical to the now-cast. It's great that you see a lot of volatility in the polling, but then shouldn't you suspect that the polls will continue to be volatile such that you could have predicted that they were probably going to move a lot from wherever they happened to be in mid-August?

At one point he even criticizes other models for not moving a lot after each convention. But of course your model shouldn't move much after the conventions. Conventions aren't surprising! You knew months before the convention that the convention would happen and the candidate would get a polling bounce, so you could have included it in your model beforehand. It's true that if you're trying to build a model from only polls with no information about the timing of important events like this you're going to have issues distinguishing unexpected movement that signals a change in the dynamics of the race from expected movement due to things like conventions. That's a weakness of a polls-only model, and it means that if you're making a polls-only model you should probably not make it very reactive because if you do you're going to see a lot of artificial movement where your model thinks that a totally normal event is actually a big shift in who's likely to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom