• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazzy

MgiALQ.png

N-Word tape would be a bad investment, a total waste of time and money. Everyone knows he's a racist, whether it's on tape or not. His numbers with African Americans can't sink much lower than they already are, and it would just distract from the current scandal and ass-whoopin' he's about to receive. The only thing it would do is give his supporters more to love.

It's pretty sad that a major party candidate dropping the N word doesn't even move the needle on my give-a-shit-o-meter, but that's the kind of election it's been.

Audio/video is deadly. A transcript of the Billy Bush segment would have had half the impact.

It'd also be about dominating media cycles. If we keep the focus on how reprehensible Trump is, even if we already knew it, we win. We're at one month away, and the number of cycles is growing short.. Trump has a mountain to climb his way just to get back to a tie, and losing three days or so to an n-word tape would make the climb even steeper.

Yup. Dripping out videos or audio recordings just runs out the clock. One could call it dirty politics but it is the man in his own words.

Ted Cruz this cycle

Super-Bowl-XXXIV.jpg

As a Rams fan, that pic just got me soooooooo aroused. Too early for all that, man.

You really could argue this is somewhat conspiratorial. These tapes are ancient history. Amazing that someone had the discipline to sit on them until right before the weekend of a crucial debate for Trump.

When the dust settles I wouldn't be surprised if you hear things about Clinton ninjas playing a big role in the timing of all of this.

It's conspiratorial if the networks/newspapers knew about it all election season and sat on it until now. If the Clinton campaign knew about it all season, that's just good strategy. Also, the GOP should have fucking known about it too.

Wilsongt

Why are these idiots using this "tape is old, why now?" excuse?

Why is the GOP so fucking dumb

Because it would have helped them back then instead of hurt.

It's all a liberal conspiracy by the Clinton machine. She probably has some big NBC exec hidden in her basement along with the head of WaPo and Vince Foster's body.

Diablos

This story is blowing up mostly because a lot of Republicans are seeing that there is no chance for Trump winning. If this stuff was released earlier this year it probably wouldn't have made a big splash. You could probably sub in any of his earlier controversies at this point in the election and a similar fallout would have occurred. I mean you look at this and it's not really surprising or really that shocking compared to other stuff he's said, but the current situation just makes it a prime opportunity for everyone to jump ship and try to save themselves. I can't believe there is still 30 days to go and a third debate still. How worn out and defeated is he gonna be by the time of that third debate? It's really amazing how poorly this has all gone for the GOP.
Wrong. He bragged about sexually assaulting women and how he can get away with it because of his status. That's really, really bad.

When he's talking shit on the campaign trail about what he WOULD do as Pres you can spin it 100 ways and clarify your comments etc.

But his 2005 comments can't be defended. And they were made in what he presumed to be a private closed door convo meaning he was completely at ease and just being himself.

TiVo

Can we get a FHRITP and Grab her by the P* mashup meme going?

Donald Trumps head super imposed over Fred's head but saying Trumps phrase?

Retro

An N-word tape wouldn't be about the black vote, it'd be about getting a lot of moderate conservative to conservative voters who think they're not racist because they never use that word, even if they tweet #AllLivesMatter and think the only way you can racist is to either use that word or actually burn a cross to decide not to vote.

You're missing the point. It is a play to moderate White Americans that may be conditionally voting Trump but struggling with the idea of supporting an ALLEGED racist. If he is shown to be a PROVEN one, maybe those voters stay home or vote another way.

It has NOTHING to do with PoC or his base.

I don't buy that there's still a moderate conservative voting bloc left to lose. People who are still in his camp after all the blatantly racist shit he's said have made peace with it already, this is just one more thing. They'll continue to justify it to themselves and others, even if there was tape of him at a Klan meeting kicking the step ladder out from under a lynching victim.

"It was a different time, I'm sure he's changed since then!"
"That was 12 years ago, he's different now."
"But racism ended with Obama!"
"But black people say it all the time!"
"He was a democrat back then!"
"Well, maybe he deserved to be lynched, we don't know the context!"

And those are the sane ones, we're not even into people who say it's all a conspiracy, the footage was faked, you can hear the audio pop at 1:55:05 when Bigfoot rises out of the loch riding on Nessie's head.

It takes away the pretence for the many republican and independents that like to wave away the racism accusations. There are a lot of voters that only like their racism covert and while most of us would consider a lot of what trump has said as undeniably racist, dropping the n-word is for a lot of people where that line is drawn.

If it took those people this long and have justified so much other not-even-trying-to-be-subtle shit to reach that conclusion, I still say that won't change their minds now.

I couldn't disagree more, a n-word tape would be a politcal nuclear bomb

I guess I just don't see it since this level of racism has been crystal clear to me the moment he went in on the Birther bullshit. That was all the confirmation I needed that, yeah, behind closed doors, he's definitely used the N-word, and worse. People who need audio tape to figure that out are already in so deep I can't see it having any effect.

Then again, everyone knew he was a misogynistic rapist and that tape's been having an effect, so what do I know? /shrug

Wilsongt

This is all real and just happened to me. No exaggerations.

I went to go visit my parents church today. They've been at a strong southern evangelical church for years, often sliding in typical conservative talking points and winking at nationalism. My family has stayed so long because so many people there are like family. Now, my parents aren't big Hillary fans but they despise Trump. They've been flabbergasted by the cognitive dissonance going on with evangelicals and it saddens them. The racism against us as Hispanics, the sexism, etc. I've tried to explain that this has always been going on, but they just didn't want to see it.

Today, instead of the typical sermon, the pastor started off wanting to address the current situation and asked if anybody else wanted to say something before the church. What followed was a sea of white people getting up and spouting both coded and direct propaganda. My mother had warned me before church to not get mad, so I sat silent, seething through all of this.

No joke, these words were uttered in our church today: Nationalism, Globalism, destruction of our nation, Hannity, John Hagee, Trump is a converted Christian now, democrats are for killing babies, our kids don't know anything because they're taught by professors who were paid off by big business. They pushed real hard the notion that we need to vote all the establishment out, that God could use Trump and that Pence was a good guy.

My mother eventually got so upset, she stood up and went to go talk. She spoke shortly but emphasized that Love is what brought her to the church and saved our family's life. Love, not hate or fear or anger is what keeps us. I was really proud of her.

Then, another woman got up and said "yeah, agreed." But then quickly dismissed that and asked if we all would stand up and sing "God Bless America". It was like a parody of a conservative church. It felt like a scene out of The Purge.

More people got up and talked. And my mom sat their crying at what she had never wanted to see before. No sermon was given today. God was not on topic at church today and it broke her heart. No message of Jesus for the broken or hurting. Only politics. We walked out quietly during the prayer because my mom was so visibly upset.

As we left, the pastor's daughter, an elder in the church and friend of my mom, stopped us because she saw my mom crying and leaving and "it broke her heart". She tried to console her while my mom tried to explain why she felt like this. The lady asked us "Can I pray for your mom?" I snapped back (maybe too hard), "Can you also pray for the Church?!" She winced and just went right into a prayer only about my mom and the country. We said thanks and quickly left the building.

I know not many of you are religious or from religious backgrounds or whatever. But evangelicals are all on board Trump's vileness and it destroyed me to see my mother's heart break for the church of people she loved today. For not hearing Jesus.

It breaks my heart what Trump (and the conservatives) have done for years and have hurt my parents so much.

Absolutely disgusting. Evangelicalism stopped being about God long ago and instead became a nationlistic movement.

Cyanity

Banned

I went to go visit my parents church today. They've been at a strong southern evangelical church for years, often sliding in typical conservative talking points and winking at nationalism. My family has stayed so long because so many people there are like family. Now, my parents aren't big Hillary fans but they despise Trump. They've been flabbergasted by the cognitive dissonance going on with evangelicals and it saddens them. The racism against us as Hispanics, the sexism, etc. I've tried to explain that this has always been going on, but they just didn't want to see it.

Today, instead of the typical sermon, the pastor started off wanting to address the current situation and asked if anybody else wanted to say something before the church. What followed was a sea of white people getting up and spouting both coded and direct propaganda. My mother had warned me before church to not get mad, so I sat silent, seething through all of this.

No joke, these words were uttered in our church today: Nationalism, Globalism, destruction of our nation, Hannity, John Hagee, Trump is a converted Christian now, democrats are for killing babies, our kids don't know anything because they're taught by professors who were paid off by big business. They pushed real hard the notion that we need to vote all the establishment out, that God could use Trump and that Pence was a good guy.

My mother eventually got so upset, she stood up and went to go talk. She spoke shortly but emphasized that Love is what brought her to the church and saved our family's life. Love, not hate or fear or anger is what keeps us. I was really proud of her.

Then, another woman got up and said "yeah, agreed." But then quickly dismissed that and asked if we all would stand up and sing "God Bless America". It was like a parody of a conservative church. It felt like a scene out of The Purge.

More people got up and talked. And my mom sat their crying at what she had never wanted to see before. No sermon was given today. God was not on topic at church today and it broke her heart. No message of Jesus for the broken or hurting. Only politics. We walked out quietly during the prayer because my mom was so visibly upset.

As we left, the pastor's daughter, an elder in the church and friend of my mom, stopped us because she saw my mom crying and leaving and "it broke her heart". She tried to console her while my mom tried to explain why she felt like this. The lady asked us "Can I pray for your mom?" I snapped back (maybe too hard), "Can you also pray for the Church?!" She winced and just went right into a prayer only about my mom and the country. We said thanks and quickly left the building.

I know not many of you are religious or from religious backgrounds or whatever. But evangelicals are all on board Trump's vileness and it destroyed me to see my mother's heart break for the church of people she loved today. For not hearing Jesus.

It breaks my heart what Trump (and the conservatives) have done for years and have hurt my parents so much.

This is heartbreaking. May the Republican party finally burn in the fires they started so many years ago.

Corto

“My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. But my kingdom is not from the world.” Your mother has her heart in the right place. Bless her.

sphagnum

Banned
Whenever I hear "globalist," I think "Jew."

Am I wrong in thinking that globalist is a code word for Jew?

It's not always. My father is EXTREMELY pro-Israel and for him globalism means a conspiracy by liberals to destroy Christianity and God's Country America and bring about the one world order that will allow the Antichrist to take over.

Nordicus

I'm certainly not religious but that is absolutely horrible. Your mother had an idea what she was going to see and hear but it still managed to be overwhelming :(

Diablos

It's conspiratorial if the networks/newspapers knew about it all election season and sat on it until now. If the Clinton campaign knew about it all season, that's just good strategy. Also, the GOP should have fucking known about it too.
I have no doubt that people in the media and some Clinton people knew. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some level of coordination even if minimal. The stuff that will be written and discussed after this election is going to be incredible

I don't buy that there's still a moderate conservative voting bloc left to lose.

If this were true, there wouldn't be traceable poll movement. These revelations are affecting people in terms of their decision to vote for Trump or not. I mean, look at Republican leaderships, which is a microcosm of the electorate.

They are even changing their stance of support at this late hour. Shit like this can depress GOP turnout. It doesn't mean they will vote for Hillary instead. It can ALSO energize the other side as well. Maybe peel away some of the Johnson support in key battleground areas.

Simply put, it only hurts the Trump campaign to have shit like this out there.

BigAl1992

That's not Christianity, or anything resembling religion. That's just using a belief as a smokescreen for their own politicial views, and it really fucking angers me that people do THIS so that they can't be touched for saying something as "insulting their religion". It's no better than fraud and an insult to every person who holds their own religious or spiritual beliefs, regardless on your views about it.

Bowdz

So what is the potential impact of this helping murphys chances against rubot?

If the floor drops out on Trump, it could lead to a wave election. If it depresses turnout, it could lead to a wave election. Both scenarios put once "safe" seats in play in a big way. In a more immediate sense, the dilemma all GOP candidates face with the Ben-Grabsy scandal is the schism between Trump's supporters and the moderate voters they need to win. If they come out against Trump, they risk losing his supporters which they need. If they don't come out against it, they risk alienating the moderates they need to win and gift the Democrats a powerful attack by having them constantly bringing up the statement. Ultimately, the GOP are stuck between a rock and a hard place and they risk losing voters in either scenario.

Long story short, Rubio's seat is definitely up for grabs after this weekend.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

The GOP made this bed. There were so many rumors and talk that this man would say the most vile shit all the time. I am pretty sure I read a rumor that there were tons of videos of horrible crap while he did his shows. All they had to do was look. Haha

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Please tell your mom to keep following what she knows Christianity needs to be. I'm in the exact same boat. It is incredibly disheartening :(

Bowdz

Does Trump go to the spin room after the debate tonight? If he does, he has to just b-line it to Hannity right? There is no way he talks to any actual reporters after the debate.

I'm not particularly religious anymore, but visiting religious events with some friends from high school was incredibly disheartening, especially in an election year. They turn far more cult like and there is no message about the positive teachings of Christ and far more fear mongering. The worst thing is the indoctrination videos they make kids watch that basically tells them everything the media tells them is a conspiracy and are out to destroy Christianity. Honestly, it's no wonder Trump appeals to these people.

And it's not just the evangelical churches. I have another friend whose family left their catholic church over them preaching about how Obama was going to destroy the union and would bring the end of days

Do you guys really think the current GOP is done after this election? I'd like to see it but it just seems too good to be true. The beginning of the end maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom