• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
A few months ago, I made reference to the fact that when it's "just us white guys" alone in a setting, the filter comes off on the racists, where they assume that all other white guys feel the same way.

I'd love to see the GOP's nominee get burned by this dynamic.

Holy shit.

Chris Nee, TV producer, on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/chrisdocnee/status/785159503419351040

mark.gif

Bowdz

Just remember guys, Trump is not going away after November like past losing presidential candidates. He'll continue to torch his enemies long after this cycle which will be uncharted territory.

Are they suppose to be more videos coming in the future that suppose to be worse than the "pussy" video?

Yes, there are. The racial slur video that people want to pay for doesn't need to be paid for because it is getting leaked for free! You know it and so do I.

The big question is just who releases the tape first.

Shit, talking like this feels like talking about the "whitey" tape in 2008, except that that tape was made up and this Trump slur tape exists!

Kusagari

PublicPolicyPolling Verified account
‏@ppppolls

2 of the first 3 private polls we've done that were conducted Friday-Saturday have Trump in the 70s of the Republican vote

Was this posted?

kevin1025

Banned
Just remember guys, Trump is not going away after November like past losing presidential candidates. He'll continue to torch his enemies long after this cycle which will be uncharted territory.

But at least it won't be on the news anymore.

...unless he claims Hillary is not President in his eyes and tries to start a Civil War. Which I wouldn't put past him.

So that CNN Panel where the host drops the word "Pussy" on air..

One of them actually says, "Hey don't use that word my daughter is watching"

And the host responds, "How are you going to be offended by me and then not be offended when Donald Trump uses the word?"

Golden.

Edit: If Trump is on tape dropping the N word, he'll be toast. His ultra tight base won't care. But the moderates who he needs to win cannot vote for someone who is openly racist. Subtly racist? Sure. Openly? Nooo.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Do you guys really think the current GOP is done after this election? I'd like to see it but it just seems too good to be true. The beginning of the end maybe.

It's hard to paint a rosy picture. They've overdue for a realignment, without question. Problem with that is they would be leaving behind a lot of the people that are hardcore Trump supporters or Tea Party fans. It's hard to imagine that they would leave those votes on the table, especially in House races. Those people aren't ever going to vote Democrat, but they might turn to fringe 3rd party candidates or just stay home.

I thought they would change their tune after 2012 but looking at this cycle's primary debates made it pretty clear that wasn't going to happen. I don't see much changing in 2020. Somebody is going to run the ball into the endzone using Trump's playbook, but then become nonviable during the general election. There will be 5+ career politicians who generally have the same stances eating into each other's support, and then some whacky outsiders who have no voting record to criticize and can quickly shift their positions based off the reactions of the base. The career folks are stuck in a loop with the Reagan idolization when we're reaching a point where people in their mid 30s won't even remember being alive during the Reagan years. And younger voters won't remember being alive for any Republican president. They're in desperate need of new tactics

It would make a huge difference.

Donald is never losing the alt-right. That 30% or so will stick with him no matter what. But we've seen already with the Khan incident that his numbers can drop a lot lower - a tape of him saying the N-word could easily push him down to 35%. That word is basically the ONLY thing in the USA that actually allows you to legitimately call someone a racist, and that label is toxic. He'd lose the votes of everyone apart from the alt-right.

35% is probably not happening.

Hoover got 39% after crashing the world economy.
Goldwater the insane Nazi got 38%.

Do you guys really think the current GOP is done after this election? I'd like to see it but it just seems too good to be true. The beginning of the end maybe.

Nope. They will do well in 2018 midterms and very well could win the presidency in 2020. They could have won it this time with someone else. I was celebrating the GOP's death in 2008 and look what happened. Despite causing a financial meltdown and starting the biggest blunder in american history (Iraq) they swept back into power because our dumbass side doesn't vote in the midterms.

A few months ago, I made reference to the fact that when it's "just us white guys" alone in a setting, the filter comes off on the racists, where they assume that all other white guys feel the same way.

I'd love to see the GOP's nominee get burned by this dynamic.
This is so true. Hate it to death.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

And the host responds, "How are you going to be offended by me and then not be offended when Donald Trump uses the word?"

Golden.

Edit: If Trump is on tape dropping the N word, he'll be toast. His ultra tight base won't care. But the moderates who he needs to win cannot vote for someone who is openly racist. Subtly racist? Sure. Openly? Nooo.

That was Ana Navarro ethering that lady, I am gonna be so sad when this cycle ends and she goes back to shilling for the GOP

Trurl

Banned
Am I crazy for agreeing with Ted Cruz here? I mean, for my liberal agenda this is the best case scenario, but I feel like hoarding this stuff until the last minute doesn't serve democracy well. That said, if "democracy" were a functioning idea in the GOP primar (or even the general) none of this stuff would have been needed anyway.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
But at least it won't be on the news anymore.

...unless he claims Hillary is not President in his eyes and tries to start a Civil War. Which I wouldn't put past him.

I could see Trump using that line in an effort to launch a product, like the Trump News Network, and not caring that it also comes off as a rallying cry to nutcases and militias who might go out and actually hurt people.

If anything, Breitbart might encourage it because it would tickle his white supremacy funny bone to see compatriots getting some action.

Diablos

Golden.
Yeah. Saw that. Ana is right though. Underscores how blind the far right is

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
‏@ppppolls

2 of the first 3 private polls we've done that were conducted Friday-Saturday have Trump in the 70s of the Republican vote

Was this posted?

Oh yes oh yes oh yes

35% is probably not happening.

Hoover got 39% after crashing the world economy.
Goldwater the insane Nazi got 38%.

Goldwater only wanted to keep America an apartheid state, eliminate all social welfare programs, and nuke China.

And Goldwater had to go up against the JFK assassination.

But Goldwater was less sexist than Trump.

‏@ppppolls

Was this posted?

No, but what was his previous #s in the PPP polls? Need a bit of context.

Retro

I mean, look at Republican leaderships, which is a microcosm of the electorate.

Anyone who was dumb enough to endorse Trump is already tainted by his actions though, and their political opponents already have that albatross ready to go. All a tape does is make their political ads that much easier to produce. They can scramble to abandon the ship all they want, they'll still be stuck in the middle of a big, racist ocean.

I don't think the voters Trump has left have any such compunctions, and at the very least can still step into the booth, vote the way they want, and lie about it later. A few months from now I'm sure there will be millions of people who swear they voted for Gary Johnson in protest. Dude's gonna get like eight votes and everyone's going to say one of them was theirs.

Simply put, it only hurts the Trump campaign to have shit like this out there.

I'm sure it will absolutely kill him in the polls because nobody wants to say out loud "Yes, totally I'm with the racist," but I still think the people who have stuck with him this long will step into the booth and vote Trump.

Oriel

This gave me a brief chuckle.....

4R5eywV.jpg

And then I became depressed at how utterly shit and horrible this entire election cycle has been. And there's still another month of this circus. Fuck this campaign and fuck Trump.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Am I crazy for agreeing with Ted Cruz here? I mean, for my liberal agenda this is the best case scenario, but I feel like hoarding this stuff until the last minute doesn't serve democracy well. That said, if "democracy" were a functioning idea in the GOP primary (or even the general) none of this stuff would have been needed anyway.

It's not the press's job to do oppo for Cruz or anyone else. Had the GOP electorate not been insane this cycle Trump would have killed himself a million times over during the primaries. You can't really blame the press for Trump winning the primary, he's what the voters wanted!

Am I crazy for agreeing with Ted Cruz here? I mean, for my liberal agenda this is the best case scenario, but I feel like hoarding this stuff until the last minute doesn't serve democracy well. That said, if "democracy" were a functioning idea in the GOP primar (or even the general) none of this stuff would have been needed anyway.

Cruz was sitting on a mountain of cash and campaign infrastructure, where the hell was his opposition research?

Bowdz

‏@ppppolls

Was this posted?

Holy shit. That's the House right there if that holds.

I believe Trump had reached 90% of republican support so that is fucking huge. If that drops a little more and those people don't come out to vote dems will take all the tossup senate seats.

Effect

Been wondering about about something. Those defending Trump do understand this is a big deal because it's not that he said pussy right but that he was bragging about having forced himself physically on women, admitting that's how he acts and being proud of it? Sometimes I think that might have gotten lost on some people.

jtb

Banned

I agree and disagree.

I disagree in that Ted Cruz could have done a shred of oppo on Trump, but instead tried courting his voters.

I agree in that it's appalling that NBC has likely been sitting on stuff like this + countless more tapes w/ the Apprentice and happily fueled his rise anyways.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Been wondering about about something. Those defending Trump do understand this is a big deal because it's not that he said pussy right but that he was bragging about having forced himself physically on women, admitting that's how he acts and being proud of it? Sometimes I think that might have gotten lost on some people.
If it's gotten lost it's because those people are willfully ignoring that part.

It's not the press's job to do oppo for Cruz or anyone else. Had the GOP electorate not been insane this cycle Trump would have killed himself a million times over during the primaries. You can't really blame the press for Trump winning the primary, he's what the voters wanted!
Exactly.. Ted and Jeb are mad that someone didn't do their job. Shouldn't have fucked around morons..

jtb

Banned
The sad truth is that in the GOP primary, these comments probably wouldn't sink Donald Trump. It's a feature, not a bug.

Now, it might have really impressed the need upon party leadership to nuke him before he became a threat, but it's not like they haven't tried that option already. They just don't have any power over him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom