• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowdz

He was at 82% in the 4-way and 89% in the 2-way in their national poll after the last debate. Depends on if it's two or four way whether this is a big drop or not.

I remember post DNC when we were talking about how a 3-5% shift in GOP support would doom Trump. Even if it is only 12%, that is massive and cataclysmic for the GOP.

Am I crazy for agreeing with Ted Cruz here? I mean, for my liberal agenda this is the best case scenario, but I feel like hoarding this stuff until the last minute doesn't serve democracy well. That said, if "democracy" were a functioning idea in the GOP primar (or even the general) none of this stuff would have been needed anyway.
You are a bit crazy. If Republicans really wanted too they could have uncovered a lot more dirt on Trump. But they gave up, because thet were afraid of Trump's voters.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
No, this is politics. If you believe a weaker opponent is better to help you pass the policies you believe in, you are under no obligation to attack him or her when it's convenient for his or her same party opponents.

More, the idea that you can attack your primary opponent, "but not too hard" for fear of ruining his or her chances in the general is ALSO politics. Sometimes that's gonna bite you in the ass.

Maybe have better gatekeepers in your party if you don't like it.

Boke1879

Not sure he was consistently hitting over 90, but either way low-80s or 70s is terrible and close to landslide-territory.

Its why so many GOP are jumping ship. A good debate tonight, and this story getting even more play along with Trump attacking the GOP means those numbers hold imo.

Not to mention more shit being dripped out over time.

"It was a different time, I'm sure he's changed since then!"
"That was 12 years ago, he's different now."
"But racism ended with Obama!"
"But black people say it all the time!"
"He was a democrat back then!"
"Well, maybe he deserved to be lynched, we don't know the context!"

And also, "Racism wasn't ever a thing until Obama got elected."

Am I crazy for agreeing with Ted Cruz here? I mean, for my liberal agenda this is the best case scenario, but I feel like hoarding this stuff until the last minute doesn't serve democracy well. That said, if "democracy" were a functioning idea in the GOP primar (or even the general) none of this stuff would have been needed anyway.

First of all, proof that NBC hoarded this stuff to wait until now is needed.

Second of all, Ted Cruz can do his own damned oppo. He's a gutless chump who shouldn't have ever supported someone like Trump except that he probably agrees with Trump on like 90% of what Trump says about women, minorities, gay folks, etc., and just wanted Trump's supporters to come to him next.

Fuck Ted Cruz.

jtb

Banned
It just takes one producer to anonymously leak it to the Post or the Times.

At this point, it is unequivocally in the "public interest," no?

Trurl

Banned
No, this is politics. If you believe a weaker opponent is better to help you pass the policies you believe in, you are under no obligation to attack him or her when it's convenient for his or her same party opponents.

More, the idea that you can attack your primary opponent, "but not too hard" for fear of ruining his or her chances in the general is ALSO politics. Sometimes that's gonna bite you in the ass.

I remember going to a college Democrats meeting years ago and being bothered by a lot of attacks on the GOP being a bit unfair. They played ads that I thought took conservative a bit out of context or weren't being very generous in interpreting the opposition's intentions. I left with the realization that I'm too nice for politics and would hold back people who fight for things that I believe in.

Nope. They will do well in 2018 midterms and very well could win the presidency in 2020. They could have won it this time with someone else. I was celebrating the GOP's death in 2008 and look what happened. Despite causing a financial meltdown and starting the biggest blunder in american history (Iraq) they swept back into power because our dumbass side doesn't vote in the midterms.
I could see them doing well in the midterms but I'm not so sure about the 2020 presidency. If the Republican voter base stagnates because they continue to pander to their current demographic rather than take a step back and open up to a wider audience like they should they're going to keep failing. The number of people with post secondary education and minorities in America is only growing and those are the people the GOP doesn't appeal to, another charismatic Democrat could really make it another win and i think keeping the GOP out of the house for 16 years straight is only when they'll be forced to change

It's hard to paint a rosy picture. They've overdue for a realignment, without question. Problem with that is they would be leaving behind a lot of the people that are hardcore Trump supporters or Tea Party fans. It's hard to imagine that they would leave those votes on the table, especially in House races. Those people aren't ever going to vote Democrat, but they might turn to fringe 3rd party candidates or just stay home.

I thought they would change their tune after 2012 but looking at this cycle's primary debates made it pretty clear that wasn't going to happen. I don't see much changing in 2020. Somebody is going to run the ball into the endzone using Trump's playbook, but then become nonviable during the general election. There will be 5+ career politicians who generally have the same stances eating into each other's support, and then some whacky outsiders who have no voting record to criticize and can quickly shift their positions based off the reactions of the base. The career folks are stuck in a loop with the Reagan idolization when we're reaching a point where people in their mid 30s won't even remember being alive during the Reagan years. And younger voters won't remember being alive for any Republican president. They're in desperate need of new tactics
Yeah, I feel like they're a few more fuck ups away from making any actual changes to their party but I can see Trump being the catalyst if they continue to play their cards incorrectly. It would be nice to have sane opposition to propel the nation forward instead of holding it back.

Oriel

CNN back in "balance" mode by discussing the RussiaLeaks "revelations" over Hillary *shocker* supporting free trade. No one gives a shit! Clinton is a classical liberal who supports minimal controls on international trade. She's never tried to hide this view. This is a GOOD thing IMO and she should come out and own these remarks. Isolationism has proven to be a failure time and time again.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The Apprentice producer loves Trump and is super unwilling to release unaired Apprentice footage of Trump saying terrible things:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/juliareinstein/apprentice-pressure?utm_term=.gbBGD5360#.yjWPz4BVM

Not at all shocked. I thought about this the other day when I was looking at who Trump follows on Twitter. That producer is one of the 40 odd people Trump follows, so they must still be on good terms. One of these silicon valley billionaires needs to offer someone on the show like $1 million to just leak it and quit and then cover their legal fees afterwards.

Makai

Probably only recently found it in discovery

Ophelion

Politics is a contact sport. This existed in the wild for all kinds of people to dig up. He didn't. That's on him and his. It's not like Hillz snatched up the one tape that exists and threw it in her Scrooge McDuck vault. His cowardice and incompetence are staggering. For that he has no one to blame but himself. It's not up to the media to beat his opponents for him and it certainly isn't the Clinton Oppo team's job to help him clear his primaries.

He's just mad because this whole election season has exposed him as a complete fraud. I mean he bent the knee to Trump. Even after what Trump said about him and his family, even after the Ted Wedding. He's a completely spineless piece of human garbage.

No mercy for his position at all.

A generation of GOP stars may be diminished: ‘Everything Trump touches dies’
Wilson fears that the legacy of Trump’s campaign could haunt Republican candidates for many election cycles to come, just as Democrats in the 1980s and 1990s were hurt by their ties to former president Jimmy Carter and iconic liberals like the late Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (Mass.).

“This is going to last forever,” Wilson said. “For years now, Democrats will be able to roll out TV ads and say, ‘When John Smith says today he’s for a brighter future, remember who he stood by: Donald Trump. He stood by Donald Trump’s misogyny, racism, sexism and stupidity.’”

Schmidt warned that elected officials who “were scared and cautious about confronting this manifest disgrace to our national life will not be serious candidates for national office.”

“The Republican Party will look like Berlin circa 1945,” Schmidt said. “The wreckage will take a substantial amount of time to pick up. There will be a restoration, but it is going to require a monumental feat of leadership by someone who has not yet revealed themselves to the American people.”
I love that headline.

royalan

YES TO MY HOMEGIRL NANCY PELOSI TYING TRUMP TO HOUSE REPUBLICANS ON MEET THE PRESS.

"Trumps ideas are no different than what you hear from House Republicans." Yes. YES. Almost the entirety of Nancy Pelosi's interview was pointing out how Trump's agenda is Paul Ryan's agenda. We haven't seen prominent Dems attack Republicans like this in months.

Looks like Democrats are done with the coddle Republicans strategy. Tonight, I hope we get early primary Hillary where she was quick to throw bombs at the entire Republican party.

KMS

Don't interrupt your enemy when they are making a YUUUGE mistake.

Kangi

9zJyRUr.jpg

Ecotic

My hope is that there's green room conversations on film for shows other than The Apprentice. Trump has done countless interviews and t.v. show cameos since the 1980's.

Drakeon

Rubio still hasn't unendorsed, so if there is a time it is now. It's a shame they have Murphy because that race is certainly winnable
Murphy was still infinitely more preferable than Grayson, to be fair. Not saying he's a great candidate, but best of a bad bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom