• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawk2025

This is a pretty disgusting post that both ignores what I'm saying and just insults me.

Although, to be fair, I think this is a conversation for cooler heads in a couple of days.

But we need to learn a lesson. It's not a good one, but we need to pivot and chase the second (third?) best approach to actually win in the first place.

What are the chances of Hillary Clinton leaving the country in the next few months and seeking asylum somewhere else with the threat of Trump putting her in jail once he takes office?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Dude, a lot of people are obviously extremely upset and emotional here. Give them some time, it's clear some people need a bit of space at the moment.

That's fair. I want this to be understood because I feel so furious about this result, and it is incredibly important to me that this never, ever happens again. But you're right. There needs to be a time for grief first, and I apologize.

Crab, maybe it's time for you to accept that there are people here who are going to suffer and die while you do game theory and advocate for the Democrats to sell the people who are suffering and dying out.
We already are going to suffer and die thanks to this. What changes?

Also, I'd expect Pence to basically run this country. Bet his deal was/is similar to the rumored one between Trump/Kasich where Trump wias to serve as basically the mascot of the country and be in charge of "making america great again" because he certainly knows jackshit about domestic and foreign policies.

Jesus christ NA, I just woke up in Sweden. What happened to you? Even if the result of this doesn't hasten global conflict specifically because of President Trump, it has proven that the people have become hateful and uncooperative, which will certainly cause conflict both domestically and abroad.

I have long thought we would see a period of immense conflict before globalization, but this and Brexit makes me think it's closer at hand than I thought.

Korey

Why has no network called it yet?

To win, she has to win Michigan AND Pennsylvania (losing in both) and one of MN, AZ, or that 1 Nebraska vote (all three of which she's losing).

Bowdz

So how do Democrats win votes from people who are filled with so much anger, hate and fear?

Judo that anger to our side.

It's up to the GOP to live up to their promises. If they don't, we need to turn that anti-government anger against the GOP.

These posts are depressing. As long as you see things this way, the Democrats are never winning again. I don't know how to explain it any more. It should be obvious now. I am just so sad at how people in this thread are just completely blanking out at what is screaming at them in the face. At least if we were learning the lessons, this might have just been a four year setback.
Congrats on your white penis

Four year setback is too late for Miami btw 🔥🌊

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Why has no network called it yet?

To win, she has to win Michigan AND Pennsylvania (losing in both) and one of MN, AZ, or that 1 Nebraska vote (all three of which she's losing).

No one wants to be the one to crown President Trump.

What is even the path forward for the Dems after tonight? I don't see any. The party is dead.

How about actual economic populism.

Regardless of all the other factors, Trump is the first Republican candidate in 50 years to suggest policies that could even be considered populism. Railing against trade deals, building up infrastructure, against Washington, etc..

Trump didn't win just because of an appeal to racism. Hillary flopped on states and with voters even Obama won easily because he actually reached out and appealed to the white working class voters Hillary did not connect with at all.

We need a candidate with actual authenticity that really puts forward their economic ideas first and foremost.

But she fucking better. I jumped on Trump's ass for saying he's not doing it so she deserves the same. You lost, admit defeat and move on.

people are railing against her in OT like she's never going to concede are insane

it's 2:21 AM, she's old, just lost, tired/shocked, probably doesn't have a speech and it hasn't even been officially called yet

Fox318

Imagine being in Hillary's position.

Wether it's true or not, you know Hillary is the type of person that blames herself for this. She has the weight of hundreds of years if functioning Democracy, the weight of tens of millions of minorities, and the weight of every rational person not only in this country, burning this planet.

The worst possible scenario has come to pass, she is likely a mess. Give her some time.
I wonder is she regrets keeping huma so close to her.

Seiner impacted this election as much as any one person could.

TyrantII

Manufacturing jobs aren't coming back and both parties have been dishonest on focusing on it so much. I don't think it'll affect rural America as much though. I have very little faith that the promises Trump fails to keep will damage GOP in any way. What's next after Trump fails to make America great again?

He was never their True Scottsman!

The True Scottsman must be found!

this is the path forward when reality and cold facts do not matter, and emotion takes over.

Jesus christ NA, I just woke up in Sweden. What happened to you? Even if the result of this doesn't hasten global conflict specifically because of President Trump, it has proven that the people have become hateful and uncooperative, which will certainly cause conflict both domestically and abroad.

I have long thought we would see a period of immense conflict before globalization, but this and Brexit makes me think it's closer at hand than I thought.

NA?

Don't blame Canada for this

Concede, Hillary. I concede politics. I damn near went mad during the Bush years watching cables news all the time and yelling into the internet. Fuck if I'm going to do that with Trump. I will still vote, contribute to causes I believe in, do my part in 18 and 20 but I can't be a political junky anymore. It's not good for my anxiety. I'm gonna replace politics with actually playing games and *gasp* finishing them.

Sorry, Obama.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
How about actual economic populism.

Regardless of all the other factors, Trump is the first Republican candidate in 50 years to suggest policies that could even be considered populism. Railing against trade deals, building up infrastructure, against Washington, etc..

Trump didn't win just because of an appeal to racism. Hillary flopped on states and with voters even Obama won easily because he actually reached out and appealed to the white working class voters Hillary did not connect with at all.

We need a candidate with actual authenticity that really puts forward their economic ideas first and foremost.

Nothing matters without a solution to the voter suppression that is about to roll out, and I don't know what that solution could even be

Also, I'd expect Pence to basically run this country. Bet his deal was/is similar to the rumored one between Trump/Kasich where Trump wias to serve as basically the mascot of the country and be in charge of "making america great again" because he certainly knows jackshit about domestic and foreign policies.

Trump hates being upstaged.

I hate that all these racist, xenophobic, ignorant fucks got a win, and there's so many of them around here. I need to move to move to different part of the state, or just out of it completely.

To everyone acting comatose right now, don't you fucking dare give up now.

We fought and it wasn't enough. So we fight harder, smarter in 2018 and 2020. You give up now, you're surrendering everyone who's going to suffer in these next four years.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
You don't understand. They don't want handouts. Obamacare is a handout, or feels like one. They don't want to have someone else pay for their healthcare, they want to be able to pay for their healthcare themselves and have the dignity of knowing that they didn't have to rely on the government. As long as you keep talking about Obamacare and benefits and welfare, you're still not getting it. You need to talk about jobs. You need to talk about pride and dignity and a way of lief.
First off, Obamacare, as it was designed, would have bolstered worker security. It was also mostly designed to work through the private markets. This is almost as conservative as a healthcare plan gets while still having something that functions well. If these voters were really animated by economic concerns, it would have been rational to support it or some similar version. Instead, if Obamacare is repealed, we will continue to have a dysfunctional healthcare system that serves no one, because the right wants to strip away healthcare rights, not improve them.

Second, my point wasn't Obamacare, per se, it's that the right has completely rejected all solutions. Obama couldn't get even a modest infrastructure/job retraining bill through Congress. The white working class continuously votes for politicians that gut unions. There is almost no desire among the white "working class" for solutions that would help. And without that, the Democrats can't do much, because everything will be blocked and demonized by the right.

But in the 19th century that was manufacturing and mining! Those jobs only became desirable - or at least tolerable - after years of struggle by the labour movement. You think these people would be happy working in Chinese manufacturing conditions for Chinese pay?

All the Democrats can do is (1) work to improve current labour conditions and (2) provide retraining and education for the young and next generation. It's no coincidence that this has happened in the US and UK first - where Reagan and Thatcher left the industrial class to rot. The phenomena is no where near as acute in Australia, New Zealand or Canada where centre left governments softened the blow.

Nobody in this bloc remembers the 19th century, they remember the gains of the labour movement but not the struggle.

Educational reform is a no-go without a full Democratic control of government or at least gaining back ground in local governments. None of these people care about their kids future because they don't see a future for them.

Government provided re-training would at least get people into jobs they felt meant something.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
You're a disgusting person.

Don't worry there's enough minorities that will suffer for you to keep posting your 'Don't worry dems bootstraps!' rhetoric.

What the fuck is this shit? I'm not selling bootstraps. I wanted Clinton to win - because she was better for the poor, minorities, women, the LGBT community, everyone we ought to care about. I'm just pointing out why she didn't win, and what can be done to make sure this doesn't happen again - precisely for the poor, minorities, women, the LGBT community. And this makes me a disgusting person? Fuck me, if this is how you treat your side, little wonder you couldn't make any headway with the other side.

What the fuck is this shit? I'm not selling bootstraps. I wanted Clinton to win - because she was better for the poor, minorities, women, all the people we should care about. I'm just pointing out why she didn't win. And this makes me a disgusting person? Fuck me, if this is how you treat your side, little wonder you couldn't make any headway with the other side.

republicans treat their side that steps out of line all the time

why not try republican strats for one and possibly win in the future.

Kid Heart

That's fair. I want this to be understood because I feel so furious about this result, and it is incredibly important to me that this never, ever happens again. But you're right. There needs to be a time for grief first, and I apologize.

I understand. All of us are probably mad to some extent, but yeah a lot of people are clearly rolling through the five stages of grief here, so I don't expect a lot of people to come to terms with the situation until at least tomorrow, if not next week. I think everyone knows we have to change. We just need to let all the data roll in first from this election and then decide how to proceed from there.

hey guys. how we doin? I know we lost. but how are you doing?

I'm OK now. I've already had an extremely shitty personal life changing event happen in my lifetime so something like this doesn't phase me as much as I wish it would. It still stinks, but I think I've already hit acceptance. :/

Wouldn't be enough. This election proved the Obama coalition isn't enough to win anymore. Her campaign hit their turnout goals and still lost. This is more than just the candidate.

Pay back for 8 years of a black man being president and "getting nothing done" because of Republicans doing everything in their power to make sure of it.

Kusagari

The Republicans won with quite possibly the worst candidate imaginable.

The worst candidate imaginable doesn't turn out an unseen group of people in historic numbers.

Trump clearly wasn't the worst candidate. We've got to accept that, like it or not.

Diablos

How can someone college-educated vote for this man. Like, what

Don't give up guys!
The reps didn't and they won, we will rise again, with a stronger candidate even
Trump fucking nuked them map, he did it by lying his ass off and pandering to the worst aspects of US society.
He does not understand politics, policy, governing, etc.
This could set us back a generation.

To everyone acting comatose right now, don't you fucking dare give up now.

We fought and it wasn't enough. So we fight harder, smarter in 2018 and 2020. You give up now, you're surrendering everyone who's going to suffer in these next four years.

I feel the same way bro! This is really bad though, how do we adjust for this voting block? It's only going to get harder from here. My America is going away LBGTQ rights, Gun control, Roe v Wade.. etc

It's all going to be burned to the ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom