• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

Wouldn't be enough. This election proved the Obama coalition isn't enough to win anymore. Her campaign hit their turnout goals and still lost. This is more than just the candidate.

i really didn't know there were so many racist/sexist/xenophobic white people around these days. this result is startling exactly for that reason.

losing pennsylvania of all places is the one fucking thing that shouldn't have happened. hell, minnesota is close. where the actual fuck did all these people come from?

bomma_man

Nobody in this bloc remembers the 19th century, they remember the gains of the labour movement but not the struggle.

Educational reform is a no-go without a full Democratic control of government or at least gaining back ground in local governments. None of these people care about their kids future because they don't see a future for them.

Government provided re-training would at least get people into jobs they felt meant something.

Yeah, I won't deny that the time for this was forty years ago. I'm not sure how it's possible with the state of the current Republican Party.

Jarmel

Banned
I guarantee you that if we had a Democratic candidate with Trump's record, nobody would have been shocked by tonight's result.

Hillary was a worse candidate than Trump. Trump has a shitload of flaws but he had a clear message that resonated with voters.

This wasn't so much a failure of campaigns as she was vastly better funded and organized. This is on her.

Dixiecrats just voted for Paul Ryan to privatize Social Security and the media covered the fact that this would happen for a total of zero seconds during the campaign and Dixiecrats may have no idea that they voted for this, wheee.

Wonder what the next thread title will be.

PoliGAF took the biggest L in a while tonight.

Also it's not about adopting Republican strats...

It's about making the messaging more broad so that when you want to raise taxes on the rich, the working class can stomach it and not hear taxes going up.

I'm still alive. I did not die. I will be apart of the change to come. I will never give up. Get em next time. Alot of things needed to change along time ago for everybody. Everything and everyone counts.

Toxi

Banned
The worst candidate imaginable doesn't turn out an unseen group of people in historic numbers.

Trump clearly wasn't the worst candidate. We've got to accept that, like it or not.
I mean, when we're talking "worst candidate", we're usually talking about stuff like scandals. Emails and shit.

If Clinton was the worst candidate, it was because she was milquetoast.

Dixiecrats just voted for Paul Ryan to privatize Social Security and the media covered the fact that this would happen for a total of zero seconds during the campaign and Dixiecrats may have no idea that they voted for this, wheee.

Get ready for all the tweets and stuff from people that will want their vote back.

because republicans, historically, fall in line. democrats, historically, do not.

Yup

democrats are too busy being kind and thinking about hurting feelings

Republicans fall in line. I've always said that. It was always a point of worry.

And here we are. They fail in line. Democrats were possibly splintered. "I won't vote for a crook. I'll vote 3rd party. I won't vote at all. I'll vote Trump, that'll show them."

Those motherfuckers needed to fall in line. Motherfuckers.

bachikarn

The Republicans won with quite possibly the worst candidate imaginable.

People will say this, but he won because he directly appealed to a large part of the electorate. I fucking hate Trump, but he was apparently a great candidate for a large part of the population (esp in swing states).

Nelo Ice

Banned
I feel the same way bro! This is really bad though, how do we adjust for this voting block? It's only going to get harder from here. My America is going away LBGTQ rights, Gun control, Roe v Wade.. etc

It's all going to be burned to the ground

Yep even if we can bounce back, how do we defeat white rural America?!. And for that matter how much will bleed with all the irreversible damage that is about to be done?. It's hard to be optimistic when we are in the darkest timeline and there's no way out.

The worst candidate imaginable doesn't turn out an unseen group of people in historic numbers.

Trump clearly wasn't the worst candidate. We've got to accept that, like it or not.

This. People need to realize everything we thought we knew was wrong.

Trump brough out general election voters in the primary. Wrong.
Trump wouldn't crack the blue wall. Wrong.
There was systemic polling errors.
Obamas approval ratings could be completely wrong

We literally don't have the data or understanding to say he was the worst candidate as far as electability goes

Totakeke

Wonder what the next thread title will be.

PoliGAF took the biggest L in a while tonight.

Also it's not about adopting Republican strats...

It's about making the messaging more broad so that when you want to raise taxes on the rich, the working class can stomach it and not hear taxes going up.

That sounds like big bold lies to me.

hawk2025

The hispanic cleaning crew at my office (yes, I'm still at work) is passing by and I can hear the desperation in their voices.

They don't realize I can understand spanish, and they are talking about the most utterly heartbreaking things.

Jesus.

Piecake

Wouldn't be enough. This election proved the Obama coalition isn't enough to win anymore. Her campaign hit their turnout goals and still lost. This is more than just the candidate.

its not 'anymore'. Its just this election. A massive rural white turnout isn't the new normal until it becomes a trend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom