• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I don't think sexism was any kind of deciding factor.

Clinton's brand, right or wrong as it might be, was far more detrimental.

I don't think it explains most of why she lost, but there was a large contingent of sexism

Even if her being a woman didn't cost her the presidency, dems will be extremely cautious going forward while they try and regrab some of the white rural vote.

Wouldn't be surprised if the 2020 nominee is someone no one is talking about. To me the entire point of confidence about the democrat bench was the fact that the candidates could stew for 4-8 years as demographics shifted. Kamala Harris is a great talent, and the type of candidate that would have made sense in the future. Bumping her up to 2020 when she'll still be a junior senator from a liberal state...I don't buy it.

Booker is a joke, but as this election proved sometimes people fall for those.

Gillibrand is a pro Wall St senator from New York. We tried that already, no thanks.

I'm not seeing it, fellas. Rewind back to November/December 2012: who would have guessed Trump, Kasich, and Cruz would be the last three republicans standing this year? I would have bet on Cruz, Walker, and...I'm not sure. All I know is that if this year taught us anything it's that the primaries are a process that should be respected and fought over by a healthy group of candidates. You let the process play out and go from there. Which is why whoever the NAACP, Planned Parenthood, etc starts praising in 2019 probably won't be worth your time. Or the person that all the cool bloggers start cosigning early with bullshit stories they receive directly from the DNC or the campaign.

Did it matter for Obama?

I don't think it did. He won because he was charismatic and Romney was portrayed as the guy that fires you.

This is actually a really fair point.

Jesus.

I guess the hidden advantage is that Democrats tend to be younger and cooler than Republicans, but the thought of elections being reduced to banking on your candidate having enough charisma to turn out your voters, who then vote straight-ticket on the down-ballot, is depressing.

And she handled the FBI investigation as horribly as she possibly could have. I mean, people really can't overlook just how devastating that was. Comey's fuckery aside, she almost never gave a consistent answer as to what happened and why it's not a big deal, or whatever. And Bill's gross negligence has fucked us again.

Pixieking

Banned

Trump is sexist, and sexually assaulted women. I think a large percentage of his voters are - consciously or unconsciously - sexist. It's too large an issue for it to not be relevant to Hillary, too.

Bronx-Man

Banned
The scariest part of all this is how white nationalism has not only taken over America, but most of the western world. As a poli-sci major: someone who literally has to study political theory, philosophy, and world history for a living......I have an awful feeling in the pit of my chest.

Yes I'm not arguing sexism wasn't there. It was. But she wouldn't have had those votes if she was a man either.

If Obama can win so can a woman. Just not her.

Her political profile was a made up one from decades of attacks.

Nordicus

Went from shock, to depression, to righteous indignation.

And I do not want to move from this step with both feet any time soon

The scariest part of all this is how white nationalism has not only taken over America, but most of the western world. As a poli-sci major: someone who literally has to study political theory, philosophy, and world history for a living......I have an awful feeling in the pit of my chest.
I love history and yea... nationalism around the world is a recipe for disaster

That's how the World Wars started

Trump is sexist, and sexually assaulted women. I think a large percentage of his voters are - consciously or unconsciously - sexist. It's too large an issue for it to not be relevant to Hillary, too.

And her brand was so damaging that she couldn't capitalize on it. Even in exit polls most Trump voters thought his comments on women were unacceptable.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I think we have to question whether policy actually matters in elections. At least the high profile ones.

Policy matters if it's exciting and is easy to sell.

Policy does not matter if it's relitigating the same battles fought the last 30 years, or if you have to go to a website to figure out what it actually is.

"Free college" is easy to understand, but I wonder what most people think of when they hear "debt free college".

Hige

You're pretty much guaranteeing that I'm done with PoliGAF after this election.

Have fun with your guerilla uprising.
The strong anti-Bernie sentiment during the end of the primaries and erasure of his POC supporters made me take a break from reading PoliGAF and GAF in general for a while. I feel you.

jtb

Banned
The reservation I have with the Bernie Sanders/rural white voter theory is that we saw a similar phenomenon on 2008.... when they voted en masse for Hillary, against Obama. The hard part is untangling whether it's a vote "for" him or "against" her.

Dierce

This is also what deeply troubles me, along with countless other things. In your opinion where do you see this leading us to? Do you see any hope of the western world turning around any time soon or is it to early to say?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It's incredible how confident everybody is that a man who ran on fascism and white nationalism, accused all his political opponents of elaborate nonsensical conspiracy theories to steal the election, and literally said they should cancel the election and just make him president will go forward and honor American democracy and peaceful transitions of power in the future.

I'll worry about the election in 2020 when we know if there will be an election in 2020.

If I have one shred of a counterargument, its that Trump is going to actively hate the job of actually being the president. I'm not saying its likely he's sick of it by 2020, but I don't know if he'll be chomping at the bit to keep the position

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Warren is pretty old already herself (she'll be 71 in 2020), and I'm skeptical about whether she'll have a broad enough appeal.

You mean like all that broad appeal Trump had with moderates?

Warren would actually get democrats out the polls, where hillary could not.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
You're pretty much guaranteeing that I'm done with PoliGAF after this election.

Have fun with your guerilla uprising.

Have you read the thread? The snark is deserved.

You have a BernieBro saying Feingold is a Trash Candidate.

FEINGOLD.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Dems can't stop any federal appointments anymore, but I hope they can at least obstruct the fuck out of every nominee.

jtb

Banned
If I have one shred of a counterargument, its that Trump is going to actively hate the job of actually being the president. I'm not saying its likely he's sick of it by 2020, but I don't know if he'll be chomping at the bit to keep the position

on the other hand, he is literally the leader of the free world. for someone with the world's biggest ego, there is nothing on this planet that will do more to feed his ego.

Trouble

Banned
Dems can't stop any federal appointments anymore, but I hope they can at least obstruct the fuck out of every nominee.

Dems should block any SCOTUS appointments for 4 years. See how they like them apples.

I'm pretty sure they can't actually do that indefinitely, though. Not up on parliamentary procedures.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
We're still trying to determine the exact cause of the loss, and I don't think it's time to make conclusive statements. Was this posted?

0LiqYX6.png

Ok, fine. Replace the word "democrats" with "Obama voters" where necessary then. Because Obama voters not showing up does seem to be the main problem.

Dems should block any SCOTUS appointments for 4 years. See how they like them apples.
The republican congress overrides them and they continue to not give a fuck as voters display apathy for the hypocrisy in voting for a do-nothing congress while rallying against congress for doing nothing.

pigeon

Banned

Implicit in my comment about drones earlier is this: technological advancement has leveled the playing field such that it's much easier for a fascist to control a country via drones, infosec, and surveillance than it used to be.

Bronx-Man

Banned
This is also what deeply troubles me, along with countless other things. In your opinion where do you see this leading us to? Do you see any hope of the western world turning around any time soon or is it to early to say?
Best case scenario? Trump's domestic policy causes mass outrage and his economic policy causes a mass recession near immediately. Voters vote massively against Trump re-election and some charismatic dem (Booker? Warren? Yeezy?) gets elected into a republican-controlled congress. Not ideal but it would help us stop the bloodletting asap.

Worst case? Trump makes it into a 2nd term, creates a new depression, global economy crashes, Putin goes on an imperialist streak across Europe, Trump somehow gets us involved into a war that ends in nuclear holocaust.

Okay...

I drank a lot of whiskey, then switched to rum, and then to wine... so I haven't been feeling good today.

I was way too confident, and it bit in me in the ass in a spectacular fashion.

I really really hope he isn't who I think he is.

That's what I'm relegated to. Pure unfounded hope that he isn't who we see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom