• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, but Democrats will have the underdog advantage again at least. Democrats can spend the next 4 years attacking and criticizing everything Trump does and not have to worry about defending anything.

If Trump and the Republicans are absolutely terrible, it should be easy to win it all back quickly.

If Trump and the Republicans aren't so bad, then it might take longer, but hey, it's a win that they weren't so bad.

So, either way, not all hope is lost.

That's all well and good. But we needed to accelerate our climate change fight right now, not go backwards for four year time... and I'm not sure when we can realistically swing the supreme court democratic.

That's why this hurts so much. There's no way the GOP do a 180 on climate change and voter suppression.

mo60

I am interesting in seeing if the democrats try to up their organization in AZ, GA and TX in the future. I don't think the democrats need to focus on the midwest anymore to win future elections besides maybe trying to win back PA. AZ, GA and TX are the GOP's weak links in this election to an extent. They are all ripe for the taking by democrats.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If ACA is repealed, I have to leave this country. I've been battling cancer off and on since age 23 and there is no way I can afford to live here without some pre-existing condition mandate.

They have said the preexisting conditions mandate would stay, as well as children under 26 living in a parent's home.

They also said the transition away from any other ACA stuff would take about 2 years.

One of my(Bernie or Bust) friends texted me that "Hillary lost the election the second the child trafficking emails leaked".. I'm just in awe tbh. I told her terrible polling and voter suppression had more to do with this upset than anything but honestly, I can't decide whether to explain how out of context the interpretation for those emails are or. to give up because it's over and she's vowed never to bother with the political process again anyway.

One of the worse developments this cycle was Wikileaks being coopted by the alt-right. I remember when they actually did leak important information the public needed to know, like U.S. soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan deliberately doing "double tap" strikes were they bomb an area (Usually civilians) and the bomb the rescuers and first responders that arrive to help. That's important information and I still feel terrible and am bitter that Obama never pardoned Chelsea Manning.

That kind of stuff built a lot of trust that got shamelessly abused and betrayed this election.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Hope to see Harris, Booker, Gillibrand.

Booker and Gillibrand are surefire losers - Gillibrand is the closest you can possibly get to Clinton mk.II for starters! Harris might do well, but I think she'll struggle with being a coastal metropolitan liberal from the ivory tower.

Cruz was a big troll. Trump is unpredictable...

Ultimately, things will be okay... We just have to deal with a hiccup.

This is a way up call that you can't ignore the plight of
poor, uneducated whites... No matter how racist they may be.
If this was just civil rights and the economy I'd agree with you.

With nuclear missiles and the climate at stake I refuse to call this just a hiccup, just a blip on the timeline.

Americans irredeemably fucked up the world yesterday, congrats.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
There simply aren't enough competitive districts. The 2018 senate map is a bloodbath. The party has to pivot hard to the center to win those districts -- and, at the same time, the progressive wing of the party is clearly on the ascendancy.

These two realities seem near impossible to reconcile for me. The Democrats no longer have a message - or even a functioning coalition. To fix all that in just two years, with the current map... I see more bleeding and more years in the wilderness.

Maybe Bernie/Sherrod Brown liberals can win back those rural areas with anti-trade populism. I'm skeptical.

All they need is to win some governorships in 2018, which they have a pretty good map for, and hold what they have for the senate races. Nothing else really matters in that election for the 6 year plan I laid out.

Crosseyes

Banned
Except that Bernie style liberals lost across the board. They lost everywhere, even in states the Dems carried handily.
Because Hillary was the face of the party. Voting democrat this election was voting establishment.

If the radical left is not the answer what position can the democrats move to satisfy the electorate? I can't accept that moving everyone right on social and civil rights type issues is the only way.

I'd prefer bloodshed.

They have said the preexisting conditions mandate would stay, as well as children under 26 living in a parent's home.

They also said the transition away from any other ACA stuff would take about 2 years.

Insurance companies have said that requiring them to cover pre-existing conditions wouldn't be feasible without requiring that all Americans have insurance. Basically, they need the ACA for that.

Republicans don't care, they'll repeal the whole thing and promise a replacement at some time in the future, presumably after pigs fly.

SexyFish

Banned
If this was just civil rights and the economy I'd agree with you.

With nuclear missiles and the climate at stake I refuse to call this just a hiccup, just a blip on the timeline.

Americans irredeemably fucked up the world yesterday, congrats.

Rome wasn't built in a day, but when it fell it burned in one.

I am interesting in seeing if the democrats try to up their organization in AZ, GA and TX in the future. I don't think the democrats need to focus on the midwest anymore to win future elections besides maybe trying to win back PA. AZ, GA and TX are the GOP's weak links in this election to an extent. They are all ripe for the taking by democrats.

The diversifying of the electorate will now stop. Democrats definitely have to win back WI/MI at a minimum.

Totakeke

We're still trying to determine the exact cause of the loss, and I don't think it's time to make conclusive statements. Was this posted?

0LiqYX6.png

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Because Hillary was the face of the party. Voting democrat this election was voting establishment.

If the radical left is not the answer what position can the democrats move to satisfy the electorate? I can't accept that moving everyone right on social and civil rights type issues is the only way.

I'd prefer bloodshed.

All the Bernie style candidates ran pretty far behind Clinton in terms of votes won. You're blaming Clinton for them losing when they all did far worse than her, it makes no sense.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Insurance companies have said that requiring them to cover pre-existing conditions wouldn't be feasible without requiring that all Americans have insurance. Basically, they need the ACA for that.

Republicans don't care, they'll repeal the whole thing and promise a replacement at some time in the future, presumably after pigs fly.

But they really can't do everything right away. As balladofwindfishes said, it's too ingrained right now. The health care industry would collapse. My guess is the Senate slows things down a bit. I have a feeling there are several GOP senators who aren't going to rip that away going into 2018.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
We aren't nominating another woman unfortunately. I think that ship has sailed for another generation.

Honestly, I think sexism as an angle is overplayed. I think a woman candidate could do extremely well under the right circumstances. It just happened one of those circumstances was not being Hillary Clinton.

Paul Ryan is the de facto domestic president, people. At least in anything not revolved around nationalism.

This is going to be a generational disaster.

Ecotic

California is at 68%, can we expect Hillary to run up hundreds of thousands more votes on Trump in the popular vote? What's left that hasn't been counted, absentee ballots? Not that it matters much anymore, but I am interested in the final margin.

Real talk.

The labelling of rural white America as racist is part of why they turned to Trump. They don't believe they are racist, and in Trump they saw someone being similarly 'unfairly labelled' just for espousing beliefs that they don't think are problematic.

This let them empathize with him. This let them disregard everything negative the media was saying about Trump as being biased.

We need to convince rural white America that it is BETTER than Trump. Not writing them off as being the same.

I think the deplorables gaff is in hind sight much bigger than I gave it credence for at the time.

California is at 68%, can we expect Hillary to run up hundreds of thousands more votes on Trump in the popular vote? What's left that hasn't been counted, absentee ballots? Not that it matters much anymore, but I am interested in the final margin.

Yeah. Over the next 30 days, her margin will increase out of California. She'll probably win by 1-2%.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, I think if we elect a crazy white nationalist president and he actually improves the economy and helps the working class that's one of the worst possible timelines. How can we possibly argue against white nationalism next time?

It's really uncomfortable to be hoping for a massive economic collapse but at this point the only way I see things getting better is if they get much worse first.

Barzul

Obama's going to hate it but I think he's going to have to stroke the fuck out of Trump's ego while maintaining an air of authority. It's a very hard thing to do but Trump values that kind of treatment more than anything from what I've read and noticed.

Trump is from NY, he's at worst a Rockefeller Republican for majority of his life and has probably been far more liberal aka a Democrat. Now that he has the full authority of the presidency, should he really acquiesce to the wished of the GOP? He certainly didn't in the primary and presidential election.

Guys basically at this point we know nothing. This man could either the biggest clusterfuck in American politics or he turn out to be fairly sane. No one, no one can say what we'll truly get with any certainty. It's a scary place to be. With Rubio, Jeb et al, I'd at least know for sure what we were looking at.

Paches

NYC looks literally half-empty today, by the way.

Over here on the other side of the coast everyone is just quiet. Very somber feeling.

My mother works in a high migrant population school and parents have already come in today concerned about their future status, as some are undocumented farm workers. Many teachers are crying at work.

:(

We aren't nominating another woman unfortunately. I think that ship has sailed for another generation.
I disagree. Trump has proved to everyone saying he would never make it to the nomination, that nothing matters as much as how you have primary voters eating out of your hand. Not the establishment, not big money donors. I think, should Liz run, she would be the massive favorite of democrat primary voters, she is like the best of Bernie and Hillary rolled into one

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think we have to question whether policy actually matters in elections. At least the high profile ones.

I honestly don't think it does anymore. It might really just be all optics and that's depressing.

Over here on the other side of the coast everyone is just quiet. Very somber feeling.

My mother works in a high migrant population school and parents have already come in today concerned about their future status, as some are undocumented farm workers. Many teachers are crying at work.

:(

I haven't even left my place yet today. I was thinking about going to the bar for a drink, but I can't be bothered to take a shower or put on pants.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

We might, but they'll probably have to be pretty exceptional.

I believe Warren is pretty exceptional.

I think we have to question whether policy actually matters in elections. At least the high profile ones.

There wasn't enough policy talk at all this election, at least in the mainstream. It was all culture wars and scandals.

Jeff Zucker doesn't think that talking policy will make him any money - you can hold his feet to the fire for this, as well as everyone else's in the mainstream media.

Obama's going to hate it but I think he's going to have to stroke the fuck out of Trump's ego while maintaining an air of authority. It's a very hard thing to do but Trump values that kind of treatment more than anything from what I've read and noticed.

Trump is from NY, he's at worst a Rockefeller Republican for majority of his life and has probably been far more liberal aka a Democrat. Now that he has the full authority of the presidency, should he really acquiesce to the wished of the GOP? He certainly didn't in the primary and presidential election.

Guys basically at this point we know nothing. This man could either the biggest clusterfuck in American politics or he turn out to be fairly sane. No one, no one can say what we'll truly get with any certainty. It's a scary place to be. With Rubio, Jeb et al, I'd at least know for sure what we were looking at.
Even if he's fairly sane, he'll be a much worse safe guard than Clinton would have been had she squeaked by and we hadn't won senate control.

jtb

Banned

Policy matters, as a reflection of ideology. White nationalism is an ideology and I do think that this was a resounding endorsement for it. Voters might not think Trump will round up millions, but they certainly appreciate him "telling [racist "truths"] like it is".

Crocodile

Real talk.

The labelling of rural white America as racist is part of why they turned to Trump. They don't believe they are racist, and in Trump they saw someone being similarly 'unfairly labelled' just for espousing beliefs that they don't think are problematic.

This let them empathize with him. This let them disregard everything negative the media was saying about Trump as being biased.

We need to convince rural white America that it is BETTER than Trump. Not writing them off as being the same.

I think the deplorables gaff is in hind sight much bigger than I gave it credence for at the time.

The issue is that some of the things some of them are saying or doing are racist. How do you play around that while at the same time not piss off minorities? Shoving BLM or immigration reform in a box is a good way to get depressed AA or Hispanic votes.

Honestly, I don't think sexism was any kind of deciding factor.

Clinton's brand, right or wrong as it might be, was far more detrimental.

Her brand was in part informed by sexism. This is a woman told multiple times during her career to change her last name, get in the kitchen, etc. because it was deemed threatening. All those things left scars.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Honestly, I don't think sexism was any kind of deciding factor.

Clinton's brand, right or wrong as it might be, was far more detrimental.

Deciding factor? No, I agree.

But it definitely played a roll in perception and I'm starting to think that's all that matters.

There wasn't enough policy talk at all this election, at least in the mainstream. It was all culture wars and scandals.

Jeff Zucker doesn't think that talking policy will make him any money - you can hold his feet to the fire for this, as well as everyone else's in the mainstream media.

Did it matter for Obama?

I don't think it did. He won because he was charismatic and Romney was portrayed as the guy that fires you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom